Massive Traveller Sale on E-bay

Nevenall

Re: Massive Traveller Sale on E-bay

sale!

To quote from the auction

"This is a complete set of the Marc Miller's Traveller T4 series of books first published in 1996 by Imperium Games."

For anyone who might be interested in doing a conversion? mmm?

I've already got most of the books.

I don't know if the auction is a good buy or not, but ever since I heard someone describe Travellers as shotguns in space, I've been curious about it because shotguns in space pretty much describes my favorite Space Master campaign.

I don't know if the auction is a good buy or not' date=' but ever since I heard someone describe Travellers as shotguns in space, I've been curious about it because shotguns in space pretty much describes my favorite Space Master campaign.[/quote']

Yep. Shotguns in space (just like in that movie, "Outland"). And lots of other firearms, and other goodies. Be warned, though. T4 is a strange, errer-filled collection of rules and contradictory "official canon". A better choice for someone wanting to try out Traveller would be the official reprint of the LBBs. These rules are much more playable, IMHO. It's also fairly easy to translate over to Hero. Those with deeper pockets may want to look at the GURPS Traveller stuff, which is similar in flavor to Classic Traveller (CT), but with higher production values.

Just trying to constuct a ship with FFS2 (T4's basic construction manual for guns and vehicles) is a strange form of torture unique in gaming. All charts are in the back, but all of the design sequences are in the front. Charts are positioned pretty much where they would fit, not logically where they are needed. Math symbols were "eaten" by the printer in the required formulas. And, FFS2 doesn't mesh correctly with the design rules in T4 Starships or Central Supply Catalog (for vehicles).

JoeG

most of T4 is severely disapointing

the best books in my opinion are

Emperors Arsenal

Pocket Empires

Imperial Squadrons

I must admit to being a bit biased, I playtested IS and PE both

Emperors Vehicles isnt that bad, but the vehicles are disapointing in the amount of data provided

The Starships book was best used for bird cage liner

Naval Architects Manual has some useful stuff for deck plans

theres a modified FF&S 2 out on the net, I dont remember where anymore

but it moves the tables to the relevant sections of the book, instead of all at the end. this is a text only version

sorry, I thought you just meant T4 books

for other traveller stuff

if you can find it

any of the 8 little black books[1-8]

Fire Fusion and Steel

Striker[NOT Striker 2]

Adventures wise

Annic Nova/Shadows[another playtest bias on my part]

Arrival Vengeance

if you can find any of the Digest Group traveller books

Starship Operators Manual

101 Vehicles

101 Robots

avoid Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium like the plague

its very typo ridden, and most of the designs are broken

for reference material for SF games in general, the GURPS Traveller books have some great ideas and reference material for traveller, and other systems

and deck plans

I've got The Traveller Book' date=' The Traveller Adventure, and, I think, High Guard. I heartily recommend The Traveller Adventure if you can get hold of it, it's a great star campaign.[/quote']

Hear, hear! The Traveller Adventure was a great product and a good campaign. I think it paired with with The Traveller Book was the high point of Traveller (that and maybe some of the rules improvements in MegaTraveller).

TNE

I was never all that into Traveller and by the time MegaTrav appeared on the scene I was all about Fantasy Hero. From what I can remember' date=' though, MegaTrav broke a lot more than it fixed, both ruleswise and settingswise.[/quote']

I recently decided to try to run MT for the rules, but not the Shattered Imperium setting. My goal was to transport fewer books with me to the game. Like the infamous Paperwork Reduction Act, this is not the case. First, I found out that I had to go back to the LBBs for missing charts in character generation. Then, I found out that the Ref's Guide that I have doesn't match the Ref's Guide that one of my players has (his has most of the errers corrected). And then, the Task System was giving me all sorts of problems (I had last read TNE's Task System, which made more sense, and finally had to grab the BITS Tasking sheet and pencil in the numbers). I'm relying more on Supplement 9: Fighting Ships, than the poorly-written sequel. So, I'm carrying a mix of CT and MT books, plus corrections.

JoeG