Voluntarily Mental Illusion Effects

Chiba Bob

Here is a question; if someone wanted to freely experience a Mental Illusion at a higher effect than their EGO would normally allow, could they either, voluntarily lower their EGO resistance against the Illusion to increase its effect or could they just accept the Illusion's effect at the level they desire?

Re: Voluntary Mental Illusion Effects

According to the description of Mental Powers in the 5E rulebook (p. 78), a character can voluntarily lower both his ECV and Mental Defense to 0 if he wants a friendly mentalist to be able to "lock on" to his mind more easily. However, I'm not aware of any ruling regarding voluntarily lowering one's EGO score itself, if that's what you're referring to. Perhaps the FAQ would have something on that.

I'd have to think a bit on the implications of allowing something like that in my games. Let me get back to you. :)

Traditionally in comics a stong mind is a strong mind, it will fight intrusion and manipulation on a subconscious level. " your mind is to strong Superman i can not break down the walls created by your will!, alas you shall forever be a moron in a fight" By Jonn Jonzz

Re: Voluntarily Mental Illusion Effects

Based on the SFX of some MI Powers, I'd ruled that the illusion always works, but is only dismissed when the target makes his EGO Roll. If the target doesn't want to dismess the illusion, it still have no effect on him and he realizes it's an illusion and doesn't hamper any senses (can be seen through 100% transparancy at will).

As for attaining the desired level, I'd rule that if you wanted to make an illusion as above, it's nothing more than EGO+, and if the target is willing he can reduce any Mental Defense.

I made this type of arguement for a High PRE character once, should work for EGO:

Characters with high STR (30+) don't always use all their strength do they? Must be a pain to get a drink when they crush the soda can every single time they pick it up, or open doors normally when they tear the nob right off, a character can obviously use only the STR he feels is needed for the task, from 0 to maximum.

The same line of thought should apply to all Characteristics, you can lower your stat to get just enough of what you want, High DEX people can move slowly if they wish, high PRE people don't always have to look massively impressive and awe stricking, and high EGO people can lower their mental defenses to allow certain affects get to them.

Think of something like Sim-Stim (if you're familiar at all with cyberpunk genre, if not SimStim is direct neural take over of the sensory systems of the brain to "inject" an experience - full body experience movie kind of thing. Simulated-Stimulation) which could best be built as Mental Illusions, if you voluntarily put on a SimStim unit (usually a neural plug but dermal trodes are also popular in the genre) and wish to "watch" the movie you can lower your EGO but succumbing voluntarily to the effect.

that's why i'd allow a character to lower their EGO to let in desired mental illusions and other mental effects.

I'm not a fan of allowing one to lower their EGO versus Mental Powers. Not matter what your SFX, a Mental Power is an invasion that your mind subconsciously rejects and fights to expell. In the stories, a weaker mind often fails this fight, and a strong mind as well unless the strong mind has special training (i.e. Mental Defense, Ego Combat Levels). Even still, no matter if the target struggles against it, the subconscious mind will. You can reduce your ECV to 0 and turn off you Mental Defense but that's it.

Of course, if we are talking about nothing more than 10-20 EGO it doesn't matter much. If you want the Power to effect 30+ EGO, put some more dice into it (16 or so total or an EGO+30 effect). Then you won't have to worry too much about it.

I would say "no' because one's willpower is innate at that level, if you're the type of person who doesn't like to/"can't" be hypnotized you often can't will yourself to suspend that. This is similar to how CON will, in my mind, still resist any sort of intrusion to health even if it's ultimately beneficial.

This is similar to how CON will' date=' in my mind, still resist any sort of intrusion to health even if it's ultimately beneficial.[/quote']

Similarly, I don't believe you can voluntarily lower your PD because you want to commit suicide, or because you would like the hypodermic or scalpel to penetrateyour super-tough hide for medical reasons. Why should ego/mental defenses be different?