Leto II and Neo

Nero's Boot

I just purchased a buttload of HERO stuff online, and whilst I await the delivery of my precious cargo, I'd like to see in advance how sleek and flexible the HERO system is! I'd really appreciate it if a HERO fan could stat up both the God-Emperor Leto II (from the novel God Emperor of Dune), and the ever-popular Neo (from the Matrix trilogy).

--thanks guys! I'm really psyched about HERO! NB

Re: Leto II and Neo

I just purchased a buttload of HERO stuff online' date=' and whilst I await the delivery of my precious cargo, I'd like to see in advance how sleek and flexible the HERO system is! I'd really appreciate it if a HERO fan could stat up both the God-Emperor Leto II (from the novel [i']God Emperor of Dune[/i]), and the ever-popular Neo (from the Matrix trilogy).

--thanks guys! I'm really psyched about HERO! NB

You aren't asking for much :D

How about instead of making people do the work, you might like to see what other people have done already.

Michael Surbrook's Site has a very well done repository of characters from many genres. I'd recomend going here first if you want to see what Hero can do, then after that come back with specific questions.

Mr. Surbrook's Character Archive: http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/archive.html

"Surbrook's Stuff" is a magnificent HERO website' date=' full of treasures from many sources. Unfortunately it's been MIA since Friday night. Hopefully this is just a temporary technical glitch. :([/quote']Um, it's working just fine for me, that's how I got the link.

The problem might be on your ISPs end or you might need to power cycle your modem to reaquire the DNS server.

I don't have Neo (yet...), but I do have this (4th Edition) rough draft for Paul Muad'dib Atreides.

PAUL MUAD-DIB ATREIDES

Val CHA Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- 150kg; 2 1/2d6

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8 / DCV: 8

10 CON 0 11-

10 BODY 0 11-

30 INT 20 15- PER Roll 15-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

10 COM 0 11-

2 PD 0 Total: PD / PDr

2 ED 0 Total: ED / EDr

4 SPD 7 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 0

Movement: Running: 6" / 12"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Cost Powers & Skills

Combat Training:

Martial Arts: HTH & Knife Fighting

Maneuver OCV DCV Damage

Esper Powers:

Esper Powers Elemental Control: Point Pool

1 - Prescience: Clairsentience: Past and Future, 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2),

Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

2 - Dispel:

3 - Telepathy: Surface Thoughts Only

3 Talent: Absolute Time Sense

3 Talent: Bump of Direction

Talent: Danger Sense

3 Talent: Light Sleep

Predicting the Future: SL: +4 Overall Levels, Linked to use of Prescience (-0),

Requires an INT Roll (-1/2)

Bene Gesserit Training

The Voice: Mind Control: Invisible Power Effects (+1/2), 0 END (+1/2),

Incantations (-1/4), Must Hear Target Speak For Turn Before Using (-1),

No Range (-1/2)

Background Skills:

60 Followers: 1,024 Fremen @ 50 points each

5 Perk: Duke of House Atreides

2 AK: Arrakis 11-

0 AK: Home Area 8-

2 Atreides Battle Language

Bureacratics

3 Climbing 14-

3 Combat Pilot 14-

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

0 Deduction 8-

High Society

3 KS: Analyze Style 15-

3 KS: History of House Atreides 15-

0 Paramedic 8-

2 PS: Baliset 11-

0 PS: Duke/Prophet 8-

2 PS: Singing 11-

0 Shadowing 8-

3 Stealth 14-

7 Survival (Desert) 13-

3 Tactics 15-

1 TF: Ornothopter, Sand Worm

3 WF: Blades, Small Arms

Total Powers & Skills Cost

Total Character Cost

100+ Disadvantages

DNPC:

15 Chani (Norm) 11-

5 Mother (AsPow) 11-

5 Distinctive Features: Solid blue eyes (EC)

15 Hunted: House Harkonnen (AsPow) 11-

Psychological Limitation:

15 Hatred of House Harkonnen (C, S)

15 Sense of Duty to Allies and Freman (C, S)

15 Reputation: Prophet (ext) 11-

Watched:

Experience

Total Disadvantage Points

I don't have Neo (yet...), but I do have this (4th Edition) rough draft for Paul Muad'dib Atreides.

PAUL MUAD-DIB ATREIDES

Val CHA Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- 150kg; 2 1/2d6

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8 / DCV: 8

10 CON 0 11-

10 BODY 0 11-

30 INT 20 15- PER Roll 15-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

10 COM 0 11-

2 PD 0 Total: PD / PDr

2 ED 0 Total: ED / EDr

4 SPD 7 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 0

Movement: Running: 6" / 12"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Cost Powers & Skills

Combat Training:

Martial Arts: HTH & Knife Fighting

Maneuver OCV DCV Damage

Esper Powers:

Esper Powers Elemental Control: Point Pool

1 - Prescience: Clairsentience: Past and Future, 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2),

Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

2 - Dispel:

3 - Telepathy: Surface Thoughts Only

3 Talent: Absolute Time Sense

3 Talent: Bump of Direction

Talent: Danger Sense

3 Talent: Light Sleep

Predicting the Future: SL: +4 Overall Levels, Linked to use of Prescience (-0),

Requires an INT Roll (-1/2)

Bene Gesserit Training

The Voice: Mind Control: Invisible Power Effects (+1/2), 0 END (+1/2),

Incantations (-1/4), Must Hear Target Speak For Turn Before Using (-1),

No Range (-1/2)

Background Skills:

60 Followers: 1,024 Fremen @ 50 points each

5 Perk: Duke of House Atreides

2 AK: Arrakis 11-

0 AK: Home Area 8-

2 Atreides Battle Language

Bureacratics

3 Climbing 14-

3 Combat Pilot 14-

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

0 Deduction 8-

High Society

3 KS: Analyze Style 15-

3 KS: History of House Atreides 15-

0 Paramedic 8-

2 PS: Baliset 11-

0 PS: Duke/Prophet 8-

2 PS: Singing 11-

0 Shadowing 8-

3 Stealth 14-

7 Survival (Desert) 13-

3 Tactics 15-

1 TF: Ornothopter, Sand Worm

3 WF: Blades, Small Arms

Total Powers & Skills Cost

Total Character Cost

100+ Disadvantages

DNPC:

15 Chani (Norm) 11-

5 Mother (AsPow) 11-

5 Distinctive Features: Solid blue eyes (EC)

15 Hunted: House Harkonnen (AsPow) 11-

Psychological Limitation:

15 Hatred of House Harkonnen (C, S)

15 Sense of Duty to Allies and Freman (C, S)

15 Reputation: Prophet (ext) 11-

Watched:

Experience

Total Disadvantage Points

Wouldn't the Voice be closer to a Presence attack? As well as having some serious Presence to begin with?

Wouldn't the Voice be closer to a Presence attack? As well as having some serious Presence to begin with?

I'd have to re-read DUNE again. IIRC, my impression was that The Voice let you get people to do what you wanted them to do without them realizing you were doing it. That's (IMO) Mind Control.

Not a bad writeup, just a few additions....

-Paul really needs Invisibility to Clarsentience. It is a major plot point in several novels that in the Dune universe prescient individuals cannot see each other in their visions. This ends up being a major wild card when you are plotting.

-I'd buy up his PS: Duke roll. The major charcters are way to competent to leave their PS skills at everyman levels. Deduction might not be bad to buy up either.

-I would add a couple Psychological limits based on his use of Prescience. Paul believes he has only a very limited ability to change his own destiny but at the same time is obsessed with finding his way past conjunctions of events that paralize lesser masters of prescience.

-The martial arts are mentioned but never written up.

-An overall skill level or two might not be a bad idea. The Dune universe is filled with people who are frightingly skilled and Paul's education was the best one possible.

Please realize that write-up is very much incomplete, and a lot of stuff is there as a place marker and hasn't been properly built. However, these are great suggestions and I will keep them in mind.

Here's a first attempt @ Neo ... I'm using a focus roll because I liked that in the GC Game and would probably require such in one of my campaigns ;) This is only Neo in the Matrix ... maybe later I'll make him in the real world :)

Neo

Player: Keanu Reeves

Val** Char*** Cost
30** STR 20
24** DEX 42
20** CON 20
18** BODY 16
14** INT 4
21** EGO 22
15** PRE 5
16** COM 3
8** PD 2
5** ED 1
6** SPD 26
10** REC 0
60** END 10
43** STUN 0
*6"**RUN02"**SWIM06"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 171

Cost** Power END
53** Focus Tricks: Multipower, 80-point reserve, (80 Active Points); all slots Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)*
9m** 1) "Bullet Time": +10 with All Combat (80 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)* 8
7m** 2) "Focused Punch": EB 8d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 5
9m** 3) "Focused Push": EB 8d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (70 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
7m** 4) "He is The One": Major Transform 5d6 (Agent into Datastream, Normal Means) (75 Active Points); Side Effects: "Frees" Agent (-1/2), Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
3m** 5) "I've Never Seen Anyone So Fast!": Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 0
2m** 6) "I Wanna Take You On A Rollercoaster ...": Clinging (38 STR) (13 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 0
10m** 7) "No ...": FW (15 PD/15 ED) (75 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
10m** 8) "Off!": EB 10d6, Explosion (-1 DC/2"; +3/4), Nonselective Target (-1/4) (75 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
6m** 9) "Running the Gamut": EB 10d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (2" radius; +1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (Focus:Object of Oppertunity; -1), Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
54** "Guns ... Lots of Guns": Variable Power Pool (Weapon Pool), 45 base + 9 control cost, (67 Active Points); Can Only Be Changed By An Operator (-1/2), Weapons Only (-1/2); all slots IAF (-1/2)*
42** "I Know Kung-Fu": Variable Power Pool (Martial Art Pool), 35 base + 7 control cost, (52 Active Points); Martial Art Maneuvers Only (-1), Can Only Be Changed By An Operator (-1/2)*
40** "Matrix Vision": Detect The Matrix 15- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense, Targeting, Tracking* 0
50** "The Superman Thing": Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)*
5u** 1) Normal Flight: Flight 25", x64 Noncombat (75 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
4u** 2) Globular Flight: Flight 12", MegaScale (1" = 100,000 km; +1 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (66 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
Powers Cost: 311

Cost** Skill
5** Acrobatics 15-*
5** Breakfall 15-*
3** Combat Driving 14-*
12** Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Hacking and Computer Security, Personal Computers, Mainframes and Supercomputers) 14-*
3** Concealment 12-*
3** Conversation 12-*
3** Cryptography 12-*
10** Defense Maneuver I-IV *
3** Electronics 12-*
3** Fast Draw 14-*
13** Focus 18-*
2** Forgery (Passwords) 12-*
5** KS: The Matrix 14-*
3** Navigation (Air, Land) 12-*
3** Paramedics 12-*
3** Stealth 14-*
3** Streetwise 12-*
2** TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles*
6** WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms*
Skills Cost: 90

Cost** Perk
5**"The One" Reputation (A medium-sized group) 11-, +5/+5d6*
Perks Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 577

Val** Disadvantages
15** Distinctive Features: Unique Signature (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)*
15** Hunted: Agents 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)*
20** Hunted: Agent Smith 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)*
20** Psychological Limitation: In Love w/ Trinity (Common, Total)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Protective of Friends (Common, Strong)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Seeking Destiny (Common, Strong)*
15** Reputation: "The Anamoly", 11- (Extreme)*
0** Rivalry: Romantic (Ghost; Rival is Less Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Unaware of Rivalry)*
262** Matrix Bonus*

Disadvantage Points: 377

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Wow, thanks for the stats, guys! I really appreciate them. Considering that my megatonnage of HERO books will be here tomorrow, I'll finally be able to actually comment on the stats you've written up! :celebrate

--one comment: If Presence is "charisma," then Paul ought to have a bunch more NB

Wow' date=' thanks for the stats, guys! I really appreciate them. Considering that my megatonnage of HERO books will be here tomorrow, I'll finally be able to actually [i']comment[/i] on the stats you've written up! :celebrate

--one comment: If Presence is "charisma," then Paul ought to have a bunch more NB

Using d20 lingo. Charisma is part Presence and part Comeliness. Comeliness is passive, ex. "She is really beautiful". Presence is active. ex Steve Job's "Reality Distortion Field" or Bill Clinton's speaking style. When you meet someone, first you see how attractive they are, Then you see their personality.

Hope this helps.

Tasha :)

Here's a first attempt @ Neo ... I'm using a focus roll because I liked that in the GC Game and would probably require such in one of my campaigns ;) This is only Neo in the Matrix ... maybe later I'll make him in the real world :)

Neo

Player: Keanu Reeves

Val** Char*** Cost
30** STR 20
24** DEX 42
20** CON 20
18** BODY 16
14** INT 4
21** EGO 22
15** PRE 5
16** COM 3
8** PD 2
5** ED 1
6** SPD 26
10** REC 0
60** END 10
43** STUN 0
*6"**RUN02"**SWIM06"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 171

Cost** Power END
53** Focus Tricks: Multipower, 80-point reserve, (80 Active Points); all slots Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)*
9m** 1) "Bullet Time": +10 with All Combat (80 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)* 8
7m** 2) "Focused Punch": EB 8d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 5
9m** 3) "Focused Push": EB 8d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (70 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
7m** 4) "He is The One": Major Transform 5d6 (Agent into Datastream, Normal Means) (75 Active Points); Side Effects: "Frees" Agent (-1/2), Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
3m** 5) "I've Never Seen Anyone So Fast!": Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 0
2m** 6) "I Wanna Take You On A Rollercoaster ...": Clinging (38 STR) (13 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 0
10m** 7) "No ...": FW (15 PD/15 ED) (75 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
10m** 8) "Off!": EB 10d6, Explosion (-1 DC/2"; +3/4), Nonselective Target (-1/4) (75 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
6m** 9) "Running the Gamut": EB 10d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (2" radius; +1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (Focus:Object of Oppertunity; -1), Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
54** "Guns ... Lots of Guns": Variable Power Pool (Weapon Pool), 45 base + 9 control cost, (67 Active Points); Can Only Be Changed By An Operator (-1/2), Weapons Only (-1/2); all slots IAF (-1/2)*
42** "I Know Kung-Fu": Variable Power Pool (Martial Art Pool), 35 base + 7 control cost, (52 Active Points); Martial Art Maneuvers Only (-1), Can Only Be Changed By An Operator (-1/2)*
40** "Matrix Vision": Detect The Matrix 15- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense, Targeting, Tracking* 0
50** "The Superman Thing": Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)*
5u** 1) Normal Flight: Flight 25", x64 Noncombat (75 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
4u** 2) Globular Flight: Flight 12", MegaScale (1" = 100,000 km; +1 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (66 Active Points); Requires A Focus Roll (-1/2)* 7
Powers Cost: 311

Cost** Skill
5** Acrobatics 15-*
5** Breakfall 15-*
3** Combat Driving 14-*
12** Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Hacking and Computer Security, Personal Computers, Mainframes and Supercomputers) 14-*
3** Concealment 12-*
3** Conversation 12-*
3** Cryptography 12-*
10** Defense Maneuver I-IV *
3** Electronics 12-*
3** Fast Draw 14-*
13** Focus 18-*
2** Forgery (Passwords) 12-*
5** KS: The Matrix 14-*
3** Navigation (Air, Land) 12-*
3** Paramedics 12-*
3** Stealth 14-*
3** Streetwise 12-*
2** TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles*
6** WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms*
Skills Cost: 90

Cost** Perk
5**"The One" Reputation (A medium-sized group) 11-, +5/+5d6*
Perks Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 577

Val** Disadvantages
15** Distinctive Features: Unique Signature (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)*
15** Hunted: Agents 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)*
20** Hunted: Agent Smith 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)*
20** Psychological Limitation: In Love w/ Trinity (Common, Total)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Protective of Friends (Common, Strong)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Seeking Destiny (Common, Strong)*
15** Reputation: "The Anamoly", 11- (Extreme)*
0** Rivalry: Romantic (Ghost; Rival is Less Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Unaware of Rivalry)*
262** Matrix Bonus*

Disadvantage Points: 377

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

My only quibbles with this writeup are:

I would have given him DCV only vs Ranged for "I've never seen anyone move so fast"

The "Superman thing" was just flight with lots of NCM (or Megascale).

"I know KungFu" I would just have purchased the styles outright. It seemed that he remembered the Styles he was loaded with. Also there was some practice involved.

Just my opinions though.

Tasha :)