What sort of benefits do Fringe Benefits confer?

I'm looking for some feedback on what sort of benefits does the Perk Fringe Benefits actually confer in the course of a campaign? I'm looking for some concrete examples of what a professional license gives a character to be worth the point? What does a lawyer get? A doctor? A pilot?

I'm asking because I'm considering buying the Perk Licensed Pilot for my PC to round out her TF on several types of aircraft. What campaign perks does she get if she's a licensed pilot as opposed to an unlicensed, but still fully competent, pilot? It would have no real effect on her Secret ID since that is as an executive assistant and not as a professional pilot.

And for a more general discussion, what makes it worth paying for such Perks besides pure character development?

Re: What sort of benefits do Fringe Benefits confer?

You'll have to wait until your older to learn what Fringe Benefits are...oh wait, this is the Heroes board. Nevermind. Moving on now...

Is your character a licensed pilot in Superhero ID or Secret ID? Just curious actually :) Although it will limit when you can pull "Thankfully I'm a licensed pilot!" line. Say that in hero ID and the bad guys will go get a list of all licensed pilots.

Anyways, since it takes a lot of flight time to get a license (I seem to recall) in addition to maintaining said license, I'd say the perk means your pretty good at it (I might negate a 1-point skill roll penalty for adverse conditions to reflect such extensive regular use of the skill). Further, your character will be relatively up to date on things going on in the aviation world including: laws, companies coming/going, airstrips in the area, etc. This could also technically be a KS. But from the fringe benefit you'd also get a network of other pilots and air traffic tower "buddies" that while not Contact level could be used in a pinch for really little stuff (and if used often, could develop into full Contacts).

That's my 2 points, buy with it what you will :) .

If you are an unlicensed pilot you cannot file flight plans. If your plane does not have a flight plan, and you are flying anywhere near a major airport, the nearest air traffic controller will call the Air Force when they spot you.

Not getting shot down by a fighter pilot every time you fly a plane: priceless.

The same goes for doctor or lawyer. You can offer your services as either without a license, but you would be committing a felony.

What makes it worth points? Depends on how much the GM wants to make it worth.

If your GM doesn't care, then it isn't worth points at all. If your GM does care, it basically means the character won't have to experience the problems of not having the perk.

Real world example: while I preach I am not yet a licensed minister. When a cousin of mine was getting married he wanted me to perform the ceremony; while I could and did perform it, he and his soon-to-be wife had to go to a justice of the peace to make it legally binding.

In certain professions there are legal penalties for performing without a license -- I'm pretty sure piloting is among them. Paying the perk points means the character isn't going to run into trouble for doing whatever it is they're licensed to do.

Again, bottom line it's a matter of consequences. Does your GM care? Does your character mind breaking the law? Would it be possible for one identity to have the license without the other one having it? All of those matter.

I'm looking for some feedback on what sort of benefits does the Perk Fringe Benefits actually confer in the course of a campaign? I'm looking for some concrete examples of what a professional license gives a character to be worth the point? What does a lawyer get? A doctor? A pilot?

I'm asking because I'm considering buying the Perk Licensed Pilot for my PC to round out her TF on several types of aircraft. What campaign perks does she get if she's a licensed pilot as opposed to an unlicensed, but still fully competent, pilot? It would have no real effect on her Secret ID since that is as an executive assistant and not as a professional pilot.

And for a more general discussion, what makes it worth paying for such Perks besides pure character development?

In Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor a Japanese comercial airline pilot flying a 747 is able to manipulate the air traffic control system (pre 9/11) into allowing him into DC airspace during a State of the Union Address. I think this falls under the perks you are describing.

Zl'f is one of the team's three pilots for our stealthy flying submarine, the Sea Raptor, an extensively modified F-22 donated to MidGuard by the Japanese government (Stats for which I've posted previously in the Champions forum.). She's not a pilot in her Secret ID, although I've considered it reasonable for her to go to flight school since I think it's something she would likely enjoy doing anyway. But obviously one can attend flight school and perhaps even solo without actually getting a pilot's license.

Certainly a license might be handy in infiltration or as a plausible reason why she can grab the controls when the hijackers kill the pilot of the 737 during a botched hijacking. (Remember that it's a staple of comics that bad guys always seem to coincidentally commit their crimes in front of the hero.) I'm just wondering if it's worth the point; since it's really just character development. But it looks like it might be cool just to round out the character a bit.

I think the main idea behind a Fringe Benefit is being able to perform that job in a professional capacity. Also, in addition to the specific ones mentioned, it might include certain "courtesy" benefits. Being a licensed pilot might get you an 'in' with other licensed pilots. Being a licensed doctor might get you some courtesy at the local hospital. That sort of thing.

If you are an unlicensed pilot you cannot file flight plans. If your plane does not have a flight plan, and you are flying anywhere near a major airport, the nearest air traffic controller will call the Air Force when they spot you.

Not getting shot down by a fighter pilot every time you fly a plane: priceless.

The same goes for doctor or lawyer. You can offer your services as either without a license, but you would be committing a felony.

I think this pretty much covers it for professional licenses. There are lots of things a character can do, but these Perks detail some things a character is also allowed to do.

Other, not professional Frigne Benifits can come in handy too. Never underestimate the value of Membership or Security Clearance.

Trebuchet,

A lot of this depends on the level of realism in your campaign.

It sounds like your character is only currently a pilot in their Hero ID?

In a four-color world, you could probably get a Pilot's License in the name of "Captain Midnight", but not in a more realistic world.

On the other hand, if you want one for your Secret ID, that might be okay, although it might be one more "clue" for people to follow.

"Hmmm, Angela got her Pilot's License? She always seemed so mild-mannered.

Maybe there is more to her than we realized.

She always did kind of remind me of Lady Midnight."

Plus, there may be some kind of background check that would cause problems for someone with "secrets".

Not to mention the fact that using the license could draw attention to your secret ID:

ex.

You are on "stakeout" in your Secret ID on a commercial airliner, when the pilots are suddenly overcome by AirController's Knockout Beam.

The rest of the team takes off after AirController while you rush to the cockpit.

The Flight Attendants block your way until you produce your license.

Then you take the controls and save the plane! :)

Everyone is so happy that you saved them, especially the newspaper reporter who now has a scoop worthy of the AP wire.

Next Monday at the office your boss says:

"Angela, what were you doing on a flight to Guam?

You said you couldn't work overtime over the weekend because you were going to help your sick Mother in Wichita.

I'm glad you saved the plane and all, but I don't appreciate being lied to!

We need to talk, in my office!" :eek:

One comment though, I don't mean this in an unpleasant way, but unless your campaign is very tight with experience, why wouldn't it be worth the point if you think your character should have it?

I know that Hero uses points to help maintain balance, but does every single point have to give some clear measurable advantage for the character?

I may be misinterpreting your post, but I often will spend several points on "background" things like: extra languages the character may never use, hobbies that may never come into play, etc.

Not that the Gadgeteer has to put 30 character points into a massive robot that does nothing but walk his dog, and never comes into play in the game,

but 1 Point?;)

Again, sorry if I misread you, your post just seemed a little too "points aware" to me.

:D

KA.

In Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor a Japanese comercial airline pilot flying a 747 is able to manipulate the air traffic control system (pre 9/11) into allowing him into DC airspace during a State of the Union Address. I think this falls under the perks you are describing.

Well I think that would take some seriously difficult skill rolls as well, but having the Perk of being a licensed pilot would probably offset some of the enormous penalties involved.

In the case of a lawyer or doctor I would presume the fringe benefit would represent the fact that they are in fact licenced to perform their profession, either with the state bar or the relevent medical association. You can have a law of medical degree and still not be able to legally practice the profession. In a doctors case it also allows them to legally obtain and prescribe medications, which might be enough to make "licenced MD" worth two points.

In the case of a licensed pilot - you can only legally fly if you are licenced, and if you get caught flying without one its a felony. In addition, the licence will be necessary to file flight plans, or to obtain work as a pilot. Most rental or lease agreements for aircraft would likely include a clause about only licenced pilots operating the aircraft.

From my perspective these sorts of things are invaluable, but that's because the games I prefer, and the games I run, tend to have plots that focus more on non-combat actions (don't get me wrong, combat does happen), which means characters frequently find it convenient to operate out of costume. In fact, in my freedom patrol game, where everyone was a government employed super-spook, costumes were only used for direct action and combat operations. The rest of the time they were "super-suits" with matching sunglasses.

For a physician, being able to walk into a hospital where one of your hurt friends is and say "I'm his doctor" cuts through all of the patient privancy bull you have to deal with in the medical profession, and lawyers can fall back on "attorney client privedge."

The ability to easily and legally acquire pharmeceuticals or file motions isn't too shabby, either. Another consideration is that many professions that require licensing, especially the ones that require additional education (like doctors and lawyers) or the ones that constitute unusual professions (private investigators, pilots), often have their own professional organizations and can sometimes constitute an informal fellowship.

A doctor might be much more willing to discuss a sensitive matter with another doctor for instance - after all, they are a "brother physician" who understands the issues involved from malpractice insurance, to dealing with HMO's, to difficult patients, to the actual realities of treatment protocols and the like.

I know that Hero uses points to help maintain balance, but does every single point have to give some clear measurable advantage for the character?

I may be misinterpreting your post, but I often will spend several points on "background" things like: extra languages the character may never use, hobbies that may never come into play, etc.

Not that the Gadgeteer has to put 30 character points into a massive robot that does nothing but walk his dog, and never comes into play in the game,

but 1 Point?;)

Again, sorry if I misread you, your post just seemed a little too "points aware" to me.

Actually, Zl'f has spent quite a few of her experience points on "background" stuff:

She is a native Russian who lives and works in Norway. When I started the character she spoke Russian idiomatically (Native language) and English at the 2 point level. She now speaks English at the 3 point level (Fully Fluent, with Accent) and Norwegian idiomatically (because she lives with a Norwegian family and most of her friends and coworkers are Norwegian). (5 points spent).

I gave her TF: Horses after a year of play to reflect her new hobby of horseback riding; she now has Riding (Horses) and Animal Handler (Horses) to reflect her expertise after nearly 5 years of riding (5 points spent).

And while maintaining her Secret Identity as an executive assistant to a philanthropist billionaire would have required only the free PS: Executive Assistant 11-, she has not only bought it at the 3 point level to get a 12- but she has also purchased Bureaucratics, Computer Programming, and High Society (because her boss regularly hobnobs with the rich and famous) (9 points spent).

She's also learned to drive a car (Her free TF is Ice Skates because she fled Russia before she learned to drive and is colorblind.) So she bought TF: Automobiles (1 point spent)

I also bought her two more TF's (Small aircraft, miniature submarines) so she can fly the team's flying submarine even though our team leader is an Air Force pilot and we have another pilot on the team as well who can only operate the flying sub. The licensed pilot Perk I was inquiring about in this thread would mostly be useful for making her Secret ID more plausible, but also because I think my character would really enjoy flying. A classic overachiever, I suspect she'd want to do it the right way because that's her nature. I will almost certainly buy it unless my GM vetoes it, even though its game effects may well be negligible. That wasn't the intent of my inquiry.

Zl'f has thus far used 20 of her 44 spent XP (45%) on pure character development, and arguably more. (2 XP remain unspent) I suspect that stands up fairly well compared to most Champions characters. So I do pretty much the same thing you do, KA. I build characters; not just combat machines. Glad to see one more player out there who does that. :D

Actually, Zl'f has spent quite a few of her experience points on "background" stuff:

She is a native Russian who lives and works in Norway. When I started the character she spoke Russian idiomatically (Native language) and English at the 2 point level. She now speaks English at the 3 point level (Fully Fluent, with Accent) and Norwegian idiomatically (because she lives with a Norwegian family and most of her friends and coworkers are Norwegian). (5 points spent).

I gave her TF: Horses after a year of play to reflect her new hobby of horseback riding; she now has Riding (Horses) and Animal Handler (Horses) to reflect her expertise after nearly 5 years of riding (5 points spent).

And while maintaining her Secret Identity as an executive assistant to a philanthropist billionaire would have required only the free PS: Executive Assistant 11-, she has not only bought it at the 3 point level to get a 12- but she has also purchased Bureaucratics, Computer Programming, and High Society (because her boss regularly hobnobs with the rich and famous) (9 points spent).

She's also learned to drive a car (Her free TF is Ice Skates because she fled Russia before she learned to drive and is colorblind.) So she bought TF: Automobiles (1 point spent)

I also bought her two more TF's (Small aircraft, miniature submarines) so she can fly the team's flying submarine even though our team leader is an Air Force pilot and we have another pilot on the team as well who can only operate the flying sub. The licensed pilot Perk I was inquiring about in this thread would mostly be useful for making her Secret ID more plausible, but also because I think my character would really enjoy flying. A classic overachiever, I suspect she'd want to do it the right way because that's her nature. I will almost certainly buy it unless my GM vetoes it, even though its game effects may well be negligible. That wasn't the intent of my inquiry.

Zl'f has thus far used 20 of her 44 spent XP (45%) on pure character development, and arguably more. (2 XP remain unspent) I suspect that stands up fairly well compared to most Champions characters. So I do pretty much the same thing you do, KA. I build characters; not just combat machines. Glad to see one more player out there who does that. :D

Great to hear that Trebuchet,

After putting all those points into background, you are fully justified in wondering about the "worth" of getting your Pilot's license.:)

Sorry to have misjudged you based on inadequate data.:o

It is just so rare to find people who put points into "useless" background.

Glad to have found another "character builder".

KA.

You know, since I play entirely with min-maxers to whom the concept of non-munchkin characters is pretty much foreign, we came up with a way of getting ourselves to build more interesting characters. The GM defines a certain number of our starting points, say 25-50, that CANNOT be used in any way, shape or form to benefit combat, directly or indirectly. We are free to not use those points, but since we can't use them for combat most of us actually spend some time fleshing our characters out and as a result we tend to be much happier and more attatched to our heroes.

After putting all those points into background, you are fully justified in wondering about the "worth" of getting your Pilot's license.:)

KA.

As one of the GMs in the campaign Trebuchet is running the PC in, I consider it one of my jobs to make sure all these background skills and perks are anything but useless. Our other GMs, Treb included, have the same philosophy of GMing. Often they only come up in the roleplaying aspect of the narrative, but when you need them you REALLY need them. If a player spends points on somethng, the GM is honor bound to put the ability in play.

In my experience there is no such thing as "useless" background. The more well rounded and thought out a character is the more fun they are to play in my experience. And it's not like I've neglected combat abilities with XP either.

Even "useless" skills can still come into play. In a recent adventure, our team had to search an area in Mongolia on horseback. Only Zl'f and our Apache shaman Thunderbird were skilled horseback riders; the other PCs were miserable and sore after several days in the saddle. :D

Zl'f is now as powerful as I want her to be so far as combat goes, so those XP have to be spent somewhere. Most of her Disads are conceptual and would not be bought off anyway, although she has one 15 point Hunted I might buy off one of these days.