Two Books...

Jkeown

Re: Two Books...

Only two books? Ouch! I'd buy the Champions genre book and the Ultimate Martial Artist.

The whole idea behind the Champions book is to help in setting up a Champions (supers) campaign. Its got good data on things like super team bases, vehicles (though Ultimate Vehicle is the real source for vehicles), ideas for how a super (or team) is going to get along in society, get along with the government, etc.

The Ultimate Martial Artist has all the data on, well... martial arts. If you are going to have martial artists (surely a staple of most supers campaigns) it is invaluable. All those neat martial arts weapons, rules for creating new manuvers from scratch, ninja, etc. It also has ideas on building super-powered martial artists in addition to the more mundane variety.

If you have cash left over... Champions Universe is something you might also consider, but only if you intend to use the default campaign setting. Viper, Coils of the Serpent is a wonderful source for seeing how a global villianous agency works. UNTIL: Defenders of Freedom is the counter-part to Viper, an agency that could be a patron or a thorn in your character's side. Conquers, Killers and Crooks would give you a wealth of supervillians.

Edit: did a little formatting to my reply to make it more readable.

... if I only have $60 and wanna start a Champs Game... what do I spend the money on? Hmmm?

NOTE: I have USPD and FREd already.

If you're willing to buy damaged copies, right now it could get you a heck of a lot. All damaged books are half off. 2 books can easily become 4!

If you want to run a CU game, Champions Universe, Millenium City, and CKC is all you need.

If you want to run your own setting, then just Champions and use the left over to buy Hero Designer v2.

What he said. Hero Designer makes GM'ing Champions sooo much easier!

Okay, you have 2 of the 4 items I'd most strongly recommend. Hero Designer and Ultimate Martial Artist would fill you out.

After that, it would depend most on whether your going to run a campaign in the CU or (like me) a near equivalent. If so, "Champions Universe" and "Millenium City" come next. I realize I'm in the minority here but if you've read a comic book or three in your life the only thing you need out of Champions are the writeups, and last I checked they could be purchased seperately in Hero Designer format.

Champions Battleground is more usable outside the CU than one might think. I've been able to run two of these scenarios in my current campaign -- in which the PC's are villains! It comes most recommended however for the background material, especially the well-laid out and fleshed out mall & theme park, and to a lesser extent the "regular" park and construction sites.

Depending on how familiar you are with character construction, CKC (Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks) will give you a ton of examples and/or ready made NPC's.

If I only had $60.00 I'd buy Conquerors, Killers & Crooks - you can always use villains; Sharper Than A Serpant's Tooth - good adventure that adds a new villain group/organization to the game; and Sidekick - great for quick references or to help new players to the system. $60.00 well spent, imho.

Depending on how familiar you are with running a superhero game, I'd suggest either Champions and CKC. If you are very familiar, then you don't need Champions, I have no idea what to suggest beyond CKC in that case, but I can say the Ultimate Martial Artist, while useful, is not necessary, and I consider Hero Designer a luxury(not that I wouldn't suggest buying, jsut not with your first $60).

John

I'd make Conquerors, Killers and Crooks your next purchase.

After that, you're reayd to play and the rest is gravy, but the leading choices are:

Champions

Champions Universe

Gadgets and Gear

Hero Designer (if you're into character creation)

and maybe:

Hero System Bestiary

VIPER

Shades of Black (adv)

Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth (adv)

Champions Battlegrounds (adv plus)

Ultimate Martial Artist

and eventually:

The Mystic World

Galactic Champions

Ultimate Brick