Shadow World setting

John T

Re: Shadow World setting

Now we just need for The Western Shores to become part of a larger setting. And for Ambrethel to become part of a larger setting...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall the Fantasy HERO Fourth Edition genre book suggesting a location for the Western Shores on one of the continents of Kulthea.

For my part, I find Ambrethel as-is quite large enough a canvas on which to create adventures. Then again, in a way it's already part of a larger setting -- the Hero Universe. ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but I seem to recall the [i']Fantasy HERO[/i] Fourth Edition genre book suggesting a location for the Western Shores on one of the continents of Kulthea.

For my part, I find Ambrethel as-is quite large enough a canvas on which to create adventures. Then again, in a way it's already part of a larger setting -- the Hero Universe. ;)

I dunno, the Hero Universe doesn't really do it for me. I'm pretty sure it's because I feel that Kulthea is perfect and any other campaign setting just isn't going to match up, doesn't matter who designed it.

Just thought I'd post this to keep the thread going. It's in 5th edition format, but shouldn't be too difficult to convert to 6th (probably not even necessary)

Here it is: The Heral of the Night!

Herald of the Night:

Characteristics:

STR: 27 (17) INT: 18 (8) Lift: 1120kg Damage: 5D6N

DEX: 23 (39) EGO: 15 (10) CV: 8 ECV: 5

CON: 20 (20) PRE: 20 (10) PRE Attack: 4D6

BOD: 16 (8) COM: 18 (4)

PD: 12 (7) ED: 8 (4)

MD: 8[20] (5) SPD: 5 (27)

REC: 12 (6) END: 50 (5)

STN: 75(36)

RUN: 12” [x2] (12)

LEAP: 7” [x2] (2)

SWIM: 5” [x2] (6)

Cost: 226

Skills: Combat Skills:

Perception (All): 18- (15) WF: Common Melee (2)

Acrobatics: 16- (7) WF: Common Missile (2)

Breakfall: 14- (3) Defense Maneuver II (5)

Analyze-Fighting Style: 14- (5) Rapid Attack: Hand to Hand (5)

Climbing: 14- (3) CSL: +2 OCV with Sweep (4)

Deduction: 13- (3) CSL: +3 with Swords (9)

Fast Draw: 15- (5) CSL: +2 with Hand to Hand (10)

Interrogation: 14- (5) CSL: +2 Defensive (10) [DCV vs All]

Navigation: 13- (3)

Persuasion: 13- (3) Magical Skills:

Riding: 15- (5) Essence: 14- (5)

Seduction: 14- (5) Channeling: 15- (7)

Shadowing: 14- (5) Perceiver Power:

Stealth: 14- (3) Meditation: 13- (5)

Survival: 13- (3)

Tactics: 13- (3)

Tracking: 13- (3)

Cost:

Special Abilities/Talents:

Difficult to Stun: +20 to CON (40) Not affect Figured (-1/2) Only to determine the point of Stunning (-1) (16)

Hard to Control: +12 to Mental Defense (12)

Rapid Regeneration: Healing-3D6 (30) Regeneration (+0) 0 End (+1/2) Persistant (+1/2) (60 Active)

--Self Only (-1/2) Extra Time: 1 turn (-1) 24pts. Heals 3 Body per Turn

Dark Paladin Powers:

Unholy Aura: +20 PRE (20)

--Only to cause Awe/Fear (-1) 10pts

This power allows the Herald to cow and impress onlookers with their very presence. This presence affects normal animals as well.

Unholy Assault: +3 OCV (15) Cost End (-1/2) Requires Skill Roll (-1/2)

Plus: +3 Damage Classes (15) to any Hand to Hand weapon. X2 End (-1/2)

Skill roll -3, End=5 Cost: 17 SFX: Unholy, physical (PD)

This Dark Paladin spell “blesses” the Herald’s weapon with Unholy power. The next attack receives a +3 OCV bonus and does an addition +1D6 killing damage if it connects. The weapon will “glow” with an unholy light (really it just radiates darkness) until the spell’s power is expended on its next attack.

Darkbolt: Ranged Killing Attack 3D6K (45)

--x2 End (-1/2) Requires Skill Roll (-1/2) Full Phase (-1/2) Incantation (-1/4) Gestures (-1/4)

Skill roll: -5, End=9, Cost: 15 SFX: Unholy, Cold (ED)

This is another offensive Dark Paladin Spell. The Herald is able to channel unholy power down the length of his weapon to strike his enemy down. The Herald must hold his weapon aloft and call to the powers of Darkness before unleashing the strike. The weapon will radiate Absolute Darkness which will then travel down the length of the weapon when the Herald points it at the intended target which then becomes a bolt that strikes swifter than light. The Darkbolt pulls the light and heat from the air as it streaks toward its target, leaving behind frost and shadow. Those few who survive its touch have reported feeling chilled to the very depths of their soul…

Deflections: +5 to DCV (25) Cost Endurance (-1/2), Requires Skill roll (-1/2)

Plus: 5pd/ed Force Field (10) x2 Endurance (-1/2), Requires a Skill roll (-1/2)

Skill Roll: -3, End = 4, Cost: 17pts SFX: Magical Defense

This spell is pretty much your standard defensive spell. It works like Bladeturn with the exception that it works on both Hand to Hand and Ranged attacks. Even if the attack hits, it is somewhat slowed by the spell, thus the additional Defense added. A Herald can Abort to this spell if it has not already acted in the current Phase.

Other Spells:

As per Evil Cleric spells. Up to 75 Active Point pool

Magic Items:

Headband: 8pd/8ed Armor (24) OIF(-1/2) Indep(-2) Only protects Loc 3-5 (-1) 5pts

This headband is enchanted to provide protection equal to that of a full helm. It protects Locations 3, 4 and 5.

Bracers: Missile Deflection vs All (20) +5 to Deflect (10) 30 Active

--OIF(-1/2) Indep(-2) Cost Endurance (-1/2) Charges 4 (-1) 6pts 3 End/deflect

Plus: +5 OCV to Block (25) Hardened(+1/4) 32 Active

--OIF(-1/2) Indep(-2) Cost Endurance (-1/2) Charges 4 (-1) 6pts 3 End/block

These Bracers are enchanted with Deflection and Bladeturn magic. The magic of the bracers can be activated 4 times per day and when so activated, allows the Herald to Deflect incoming missile weapons or to easily block enemy melee attacks.

Boots: +5” Leaping (x4ncbt)(10) OIF(-1/2) Indep(-2) 3pts

These boots allow the Herald to leap great distances at will. The typical Herald will be able to leap 10” combat or 40” non-combat when wearing these boots (they can normally leap 5”/10”)

Cloak of Darkness: +3 DCV (15) vs all attacks.

--OIF(-1/2) Indep(-2) 4pts

Plus: +4 to Stealth, Shadowing and Concealment (of self) (12)

--OIF(-1/2) Indep (-2) 3pts

This cloak wraps the Herald in a veil of shadow that seemingly absorbs the light around the Herald. It allows the Herald to almost completely hide in deep shadows and darkness/night. The shifting nature of the cloak makes the Herald seem to appear and disappear even as he stands before you, so it makes it difficult to target the Herald properly, even in hand to hand combat.

Armor: 10pd/10ed (30) Hardened (+1/4) 37 Active

--OIF(-1/2) Indep(-2) ½ mass (-1/2) Limited protection (-1/2) 8pts

This armor is in the form of Breastplate (locations 10-13) and Greaves (7-8, 15-17). The armor is capable of withstanding all but the most terrible of blows sent against it.

Sword of Night: SFX-Physical, Magic, Cold

2D6 HKA(30) AP(+1/2) +1 StunX(+1/4) 0 End(+1/2) 68 Active

--OAF(-1) Indep (-2) Side Effects (-1/2) 15pts

--Magic Bonus:+4 OCV (20)

--OAF(-1) Indep(-2) 5pts

--Utterdark: Darkness vs Sight group (10) +5” radius (50) ½ Endurance (+1/4) Personal Immunity (+1/2) 105Active

--OAF(-1) Indep (-2) No Range (-1/2) Full Phase activation (-1/2) 21pts, 5 Endurance

--Soulsteal: Major Transform-Steals Soul: 4D6(60) 0 End (+1/2) 90 Active

--OAF(-1) Indep(-2)Only if the sword causes a Disabling Wound(-1) 18pts

--Souldestruction: Drain Body 6D6 (60) Ranged (+1/2) recovers 5pts per week (+1 ¼) 165pts

--OAF(-1) Indep(-2) Charges 4 (-1) charges recover by stealing souls (-1/2) 16pts

--Intelligence: INT 20(10) EGO 20(20) DEX 10(-) SPD 4(20)

--Mind Control vs Wielder: 10D6 (50) +5 to ECV (15)

--Attacks with ECV 12 against the wielder.

--Essaence Battery: +120 Endurance Reserve (12) Rec= 120(119)

--OAF(-1) Indep(-2) Channeling only (-1) Recover 1/day (-1) 22pts

The Sword of Night is the Heralds main weapon. They are built as Bastard Swords made of Black-tinted Laen with flecks of silver found throughout the crystalline material. In essence, they are a mockery of Valris’s holy StarSword. These blades are anything but holy. In the hands of a Herald of the Night, they are true weapons of mass destruction;

Each weapon radiates irresistible cold from the blade as it aborbs the heat from the very air around it. Creatures vulnerable to cold will suffer extra damage from these blades. In addition, the blade causes extraordinarily painful wounds (due to the frostbite effect of its cuts) and can slice through armor with apparent ease.

At will, these blades are capable of unleashing an Utterdark effect which coverse a 6” radius centered upon the blade in complete and total darkness. This darkness effects the entire Sight Group and can only be countered with an Utterlight spell (or appropriate dispel attempts), however the holder of the sword is immue to the effects of the spell for the duration. It can be cast at the wielders command as often as desired.

If that wasn’t enough, the blades are Soulstealers, capable of devouring the souls of those it gives grevious wounds to. If the weapon causes a disabling wound to an opponent, the Transform dice are automatically rolled, and if successful (x2 Body) the soul is devoured. If the attack was a critical success, the maximum rollable effect is generated. Multiple soulsteal attempts are cumulative.

The Weapon can fire a soul that it has absorbed at an enemy. The effect is that the targets soul is disrupted with the potential for destruction. If the target isn’t killed by the attack, the wounds generated by this dark assault take weeks to heal.

The Swords of Night are all very intelligent artifacts with the capability of controlling their wielders thoughts and actions. If the wielder wants to do something against the wishes of the Unlife, the sword can exert its influence. The swords prefer subtle usages of this ability…make the Herald think that the change of heart is natural…however they are not above simply taking control if the wielder if that is whats necessary to complete their goals.

Finally, the swords work as Essaence Battery for evil Channeling users providing 120 END to power Channeling Spells.

Anyone here remember the I.C.E (I think) Shadow World fantasy setting for Hero/Chart Master (forget what that silly system was ACTUALLY called...)?

I remember it had a very complete word concept, but not much else about it. It's one of the (many) games I created a character for, but never actually got to PLAY. :no:

Oh well, just askin'. :)

John T

Yes...it was a fun setting...I only played in it at a Con or two though. Most Fantasy seems to come "home brew"...

That is one bad dude. It looks like he could slaughter the typical adventuring party without breaking a sweat' date=' and a battalion of knights would only mildly challenge him.[/quote']

That's a Herald of the Night. These are the baddest MoFo's of Kulthea that aren't a part of the Jherak Arenreth (super baddass evil dudes who have joined forces to take over the world). They are in essence the Kulthea version of Nazgul, though they are nothing like the Nazgul. You do not send these up against your party unless you want to seriously hurt them or kill them, or they are very high level.

I sent one after the party at the very beginning of the campaign. Fortunately the players realized they were outmatched and fled. They only managed to escape the fell knight because it got caught up in a battle with a young dragon that was guarding a treasure horde. (the P.C.'s managed to escape with a small amount of the treasure while both the dragon and the Herald were distracting one another)

Toward the end of the campaign, there was an assault on Gryphon College (a College of magic users who's true goal is to train warriors/mages and lead assaults upon minions of the Unlife) which was being led by a Herald of the Night. The P.C.'s had grown considerably in power by that point and one of the P.C.'s decided she would try to take it on alone. Not a very good idea, but she managed to survive the first few passes with it and by that point, the other P.C.'s realized what she was up to and ran to her aid. Together the P.C.'s managed to bring it down due to some excellent use of tactics, imaginative use of their special abilities and some incredibly lucky rolls (several critical successes were rolled during that battle)

Toward the end of the campaign, there was an assault on Gryphon College (a College of magic users who's true goal is to train warriors/mages and lead assaults upon minions of the Unlife) which was being led by a Herald of the Night. The P.C.'s had grown considerably in power by that point and one of the P.C.'s decided she would try to take it on alone. Not a very good idea, but she managed to survive the first few passes with it and by that point, the other P.C.'s realized what she was up to and ran to her aid. Together the P.C.'s managed to bring it down due to some excellent use of tactics, imaginative use of their special abilities and some incredibly lucky rolls (several critical successes were rolled during that battle)

What did they do, precisely? I always enjoy stories of PCs working well together. It gives me ideas for later.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting! What are the current conditions if you don't mind my asking?

Folenn is largely in the hands of Unlife minions (both Steel Rain and Soulslayer minions), from what I gather. One of those groups (the Soulslayer-following Vancu) have found a gate to another continent and are busy invading it (and given the fact that they have seriously unpleasant soul-eating gear, I would not want to face those guys).