The Last Word

Bazza

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

As is often true, I think you're asking a different question than the one I'm going to answer, or perhaps, you would give a quite different answer than the one I give.

To me "the cosmos" is the physical Universe, the one we live in.

Cheers. 

Suffice to say, the Pythagoreans had a much more expanded view. I'm working through it and still trying to summarise it. Different books/authors have different expressions of it. Order, and beauty are at the two words that are common. The structure, or ornament, has a beauty to it. The structure is Limit (praxis) imposed on Unlimited (Aperion). 

An an example is music, the difference between noise and music the the Limit imposed the Unlimited via mathematical ratios that give us the musical notes eg 1:2, 3:2 (perfect fifth), etc. 

Another thing is the Pythagoreans were interested in quantifying nature with mathematics to discover the structure of nature. Structure was a form / pattern that was essential. Thus they used number both in representing  nature in its quantity and quality (essence). 

This barely scratches the surface, but hope it gives some idea. 

If you are interested, I'll be happy to scan the relevant pages of my books for you to read first hand info, rather than my interpretation. 

Well, me saying the physical Universe implicitly includes the laws operating in it.  I don't pretend to have a well-defined limit to what I mean by that, but some of the classicals' guiding principles (beauty, and what that might mean) are, admittedly, part of what we lean on in trying to deduce the workings of the physical Universe.  What was much later called "the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics" in describing all that is kind of a separate issue to me; it is not among the questions that I find interesting, partly because I don't perceive that a clear resolution of the question can be obtained, even in principle.  Instead, to me it goes into the bin of fluff questions that might make you feel good but don't advance your understanding much.