Need Help With A Detect

Acroyear II

One of my players wants to create a magic item to give to another player that she can wear and will allow him to locate her at any given time. How would I go about building this item?

I'm thinking a Detect (single thing - superheroine Flame), Ranged, Increased Arc of Perception (360 degrees).

At this point, I get stuck. I am unable to add Megascale to this power, according to the rules. I think I need that in order for the hero to be able to "search the globe" for his missing loved one.

Also, the magic items are to be a pair of earrings worn by the heroine, so they will probably be IIF.

Would this be best built some other way?

Also, would there be a limitation for the power only being able to detect one individual thing, as compared to one kind of thing (i.e. detect minds).

Need you're guys' expert help here. I'm at a loss.

Re: Need Help With A Detect

I'm thinking a Detect (single thing - superheroine Flame), Ranged, Increased Arc of Perception (360 degrees).

At this point, I get stuck. I am unable to add Megascale to this power, according to the rules.

The rules on page 169 specifically state that megascale can be used for sensory powers. Is it a house rule that is keeping you from using megascale? Of course you'd only get the location to within 1 km, but speaking globally that pretty good.

The rules on page 169 specifically state that megascale can be used for sensory powers. Is it a house rule that is keeping you from using megascale? Of course you'd only get the location to within 1 km' date=' but speaking globally that pretty good.[/quote']

My error then. I tried to build this power using Megascale on the Hero Designer, and was informed by the program that I could not add it. Hmm. I'll have to take another look at it again.

My error then. I tried to build this power using Megascale on the Hero Designer' date=' and was informed by the program that I could not add it. Hmm. I'll have to take another look at it again.[/quote']

Bear in mind that Detect is not ranged by default. In order to add Megascale to a Detect you must first include the "Range" adder. You should then be able to select Megascale.

Thing of it is, I'm not sure this would be any good close up. Within the 1 km range, wouldn't it just say "yes, the person you seek is within 1 km of here", since megascale doesn't allow you zoom in and see detail? I mean, normally we use a 1" hex map, so each hex is 2 meters. so you use a normal detect, and it tells you which hex that object occupies. With megascale, it would tell you which 1 km hex the object is in, nothing more specific. You need telescopic to see in detail from far away.

After reading all of your helpful posts, and doing some research of my own, I've decided to take this approach (based on the Advanced Radio Handset and Homing Beacon found of page 119 of the Champions genre book).

14pts) Lesser Ring of Finding: Multipower, 59-point reserve, all slots Independent (-2), Images Only Perceivable By Greater Ring of Finding (-1), IIF Unbreakable (-1/4)

1 pt slot) Long Range Sensing: Mental Group Images Increased Size (32" radius; +1 1/4), +/-4 to PER Rolls, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4); Independent (-2), Images Only Perceivable By Greater Ring of Finding (-1), IIF Unbreakable (-1/4)

1 pt slot) Short Range Sensing: Mental Group Images Increased Size (32" radius; +1 1/4), +/-4 to PER Rolls; Independent (-2), Images Only Perceivable By Greater Ring of Finding (-1), IIF Unbreakable (-1/4)

6 pts)Greater Ring of Finding: Detect Lesser Ring of Finding 13- (Mental Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4); Independent (Universal; -2), IIF Unbreakable (-1/4)

Well? Did I over-complicate this? Any suggestions on how to make it better? I used Mental Group for the Images, as I was not sure what else fit. Also, should the Images Only Perceivable By Greater Ring of Finding Limitation be worth more that -1?

Basically it's two magic rings; one is the beacon and the other is the tracker of the beacon. Good? Bad? Ugly?

You might also apply "set effect" to the images portion of this joint power, if it can only portray what is essentially an "I'm here!" signal. Otherwise, it could logically be used for communication, by making the image, say, the sound of a voice.

How about MInd link:Lim no comunication? I thought that mind link gave a general "over there" feeling.....cheap and can be long range as well....

IMO, this is the way to go.

Firstly, the MacGuffin given to the gal can be one of four things:

1) part of the Special Effects

2) A Focus that the user of the power doesn't need to have in his physical possession. I'm not sure if this is allowable, but if it is, it's an IIF.

3) Something that lowers the gal's EGO to 0, only for Mind Scans from the guy. I have no idea how to build that.

4) An AI, with EGO lowered to 0, no Skills nor Programs bought for it, and INT, DEX, and SPD left at starting values. This sould probably have a minimum cost of 1 pt. (or 0, in the GM's generous), even though it's "proper" cost (before /5) is a negative number.

The gal (or the AI, if that's how you go) counts as a Very Familiiar mind, so there's a +5 on the to "hit" roll.

The power itself in Mind Scan, with Cannot Attack Through Link (-1), Duration Limitation: Instant (-1/2), and Only One Particular Mind (call it -1).

If you took +15 for the ECV (+30 points), that and the +5 for Very Familiar would compensate for the -20 due to Scanning the whole world. With the target at 0 END, if the Standard Effect rule is applied to the Effect Roll, the Greater Than EGO level needs 1d6, the EGO+10 needs 4d6, and the EGO+20 (which gives exact location) needs 7d6. It's up to the player (in consultation with the GM) to decide just how much "oomph" he wants to give this power.