A Challenge- Make a legacy hero cooler than the Original

fbdaury

Okay, so I had this idea- I revamped a quite sad old independent hero who was bought out by DC and went on to... well, not much of anything really. I made a legacy character from the Red Bee. I don't time to type it up and post it now, but will do so in the next few days, but the gist is that he's the grandson of Rick Raleigh, a District Attorney who gets fed up and starts fighting crime with a stinger gun and trained bees, as well as one of the least fear-inspiring costumes ever. Rick Raleigh (the younger) grew up idolizing his grandfather and decides he wants to follow in his grandpa's footsteps, which his parents think means becoming a lawyer, which he does, but he also studies science and boxing and crime itself and soon hits the streets as the new Red Bee, armed with robotic stinger Red Bees, a pair of wrist-mounted 'stinger' launchers, and an armored costume. His insect-like goggles allow him enhanced vision and to see and hear anything his bees see or hear within 150" of him. A fairly decent boxer and exremely forceful personality are also important parts of his crime-figting arsenal.

Anyone else want to give it shot?

Re: A Challenge- Make a legacy hero cooler than the Original

You know, I was out of comics from about 93 to 2001 (I think thereabout) and I understand Geoff Johns is the master of bringing back old timers into play so I'm not really sure who's availiable. I like your Red Bee idea though. Nice work.

I don't know if anyone has officially redone him, but here is my Lagacy version of Johnny Thunder, tweaked slightly. The full character sheet, with hero and villain options, was originally posted here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=119026#Johnny

Background: “Free! Forty-two years, six months, twenty-three hours, seven minutes, and fifty-nine seconds of captivity in that horrible ring, but now, finally, I’m free!â€

The Jinni laughed, filled with joy, and flexed his mighty arms. A crackling leash of energy, a Tesla arc, lead from the Jinn’s legs and back to a simple golden ring, a ring clutched in the hands of an excited and terrified young man.

“Y-yes,†squeaked the young man, “yes! Grandfather’s diary was true! My own magic genie!â€

The Jinni focused, and looked at his young “master,†the spitting image of his last master. The master at whose side he had fought criminals, Nazis, and mad men for nearly a decade. The master that had left him, trapped, alone, in a ring, in a box, in an old oak chest, in an attic, for nearly half a century.

“Which part of ‘free’ didn’t you understand, boy?â€

“What?â€

“I’m free. FREE! No more masters, no more mages, no more battles, and especially no more rings. I’m leaving. Have a nice life.â€

“Wait! You can’t do this to me!†The young man was terrified. His grandfather’s magic genie, the genie that had made his grandfather a hero, was threatening to leave! It couldn’t be! His ticket out of an ordinary life was threatening to leave him behind! “You’ve got to stay! You’ve got to grant my wishes!â€

The Jinni thought for a moment, and felt the tiniest touch of pity. “Very well. One wish.â€

“One wish!?! Just one!â€

“One.â€

“OK,†breathed the young man, “just give me time to think…â€

“Done!†shouted the Jinni, and was gone.

“Damn.â€

The Jinni was true to his word. From that moment forward, Milo Passepartout would always have time to think. Far too much time to think.

Milo’s grandfather had been wealthy, but that wealth had been divided among a half dozen children. Milo’s father had been fond of drink and young women, and had coasted through life on an ever-shrinking trust fund, dying at the age of thirty-seven in an unfortunate incident involving a giant pinball machine and a deranged clown. Milo himself had reached adulthood with no marketable skills whatsoever. He did however know the family stories about grandfather, about his strange friends and the locked chest in the old house’s attic. Curious and bored, and perhaps a little desperate for something, anything that might show him a way out of joining the working world, Milo found that a crowbar took care of the lock. Inside the chest he found some very odd old clothes, a photo album filled with pictures of grown men and women in underwear, capes and tights, a diary filled with unbelievable stories, and a small box. The stories were all true! Milo would be rich again!

Then the Jinni left.

Milo quickly (very quickly) discovered his powers. He thought fast, very fast; he could slow the world down and take his time, and while he wasn’t able to move as fast as he could think that wasn’t much of a problem. More importantly, he could Stop Other People from thinking or moving at all! Understanding the necessity of maintaining his anonymity, he designed a ridiculous costume covered in pictures of clocks and hourglasses and created the identity of Johnny Tick-Tock, the Man Who Makes Time For Crime!

Maybe not BETTER than the original, just something I'd like to try (and that likely wouldn't sell well, but hey, I'd have fun):

For the better part of twenty years, the Dire Wraiths have been silent, their taste for conquest having long ago been stymied by the Spaceknights. But a shapeshifting race has infiltrated many of the world's governments and it may indeed be them, except that these are nearly undetectable by any of the known superheroic means.

Paranoia rampant, the representatives of Earth try and develop a means of telling them apart from normal humans, but in the end must come to the conclusion that only the Space Knight technology was able to do this consistantly. And so they scavenge the bits of technology that still remain on this planet: A hand held scanner and pieces of shattered armor once grafted to the alien space knights. In the end they must take a volunteer and do their best to imbue him with same capabilities of the original.

Little do they realize that in attaching this armor to a human they also implant some of the knowledge and memories of the original ROM, Spaceknight! And so this human must live with knowledge of a distant, terrorized planet, the long war with the humans, and the ultimate fate of the original Rom, as if he'd been there himself and lived through it all.

The new Rom would have a similar though somewhat less boxy appearance, and his handheld scanner, which was a major weakness, may be incorporated into his new spaceknight armor, likely as part of the helm.

As for the Dire Wraiths, the conquerors were themselves conquered long ago. Their kind were absorbed by a newer, tougher race, who are better at remaining hidden to senses and abilities, and whose leaders are as yet unseen.

What is a legacy hero exactly?

At the barest bones, it's a hero who has taken up the mantle of another hero. Almost always "in name" and often "in appearance" (but the latter less likely). Usually, they want to maintain the good deeds, memory, or whatever of their predessor. Like the Flash or Blue Beetle.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one already: Microman II.

The original Microman was basically a Hank Pym clone, though in our campaign, he's currently more a cross between Ted Knight and Reed Richards. Microman II, OTOH, is his android successor and "son." Personality wise, think Data written as a Silver Age character.

Mine-that I haven't had a chance to play yet-is Optimus II, a teenager from the 1940s in the body of an Empyrean (thankyou, Galactic Champions, for finally printing an example of an Empyrean...all I had to do was trim off 350 points). He chose the name because Optimus was his favorite hero when he was in High School and that's the standard of heroism he tries to live up to. The world shouldn't have to do without an Optimus!