Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Is that the new way to say "There's a special place in hell for you?" :think:

Do we get to replace hell with New Jersey universally?

"Timmy, do you know where bad little boys go when they die? they go to New Jersey!"

"This place is going to New Jersey in a hand basket."

"You go to New Jersey! You go to New Jersey and you die!!"

Not in everything. 'Cause New Jersey freezes over every year...

:D

Baby clothes? No problem. Click the link now. :D

You want bunneh maternity stuff too?

hehe.

Thanks.

I'm actually looking a ton of maternity shirts pertaining to a due date of october and it being a baby boy. As far as the bunneh shirt goes, I'll order it in a non-maternity shirt so I can wear it even after Keegan is born. :D

Thanks again. :D Rep when I can.

ETA: And now everything in my cart (save for one item) is bunneh stuff.

Why does everyone pick on New Jersey?

To paraphrase George Carlin... "They call it the 'Garden State'. Have these people even seen New Jersey? What the &%$# are they growing? Smokestacks!?"

Here's another old joke.

Q: Why does New Jersey have the most toxic waste dumps, and why does California have the most lawyers?

A: New Jersey got first pick.

And on a more person note, I did 20 years in Jersey before I made parole. My Mom is still doing time; I think she's a lifer. I visit when they let her back into the general population for good behavior.

Granted, South Jersey isn't nearly as bad as North Jersey. Then again, the bad parts of North Jersey more than make up for that deficiency.

That was my father's opinion. It was the only place I ever heard him drop the F-bomb. Of course' date=' our experience with it was limited to trying to get out of McGuire AFB to somewhere ... [i']anywhere[/i] ... that wasn't New Jersey.

EDIT: I meant McGuire (I typed McChord, which is in WA, first).

Geez, even though I was raised well enough to know when it's inappropriate, both my mom and dad used the f-word at home without particular hesitation.

I hate this trend of people expecting that friends will read their blogs. Blog shmog.

Blogs are write-only memory. Not quite as uncivil a practice as defecating in public, but the long-term effect is often the same.

I'm getting tired of not getting days off.

You have my sympathy. At one point I worked a job that gave no paid time off. Including holidays for which they were closed. The compensation for this was supposed to be a yearly 10% pay increase. After my first year they decided to make it partially conditional. If you were even one minute late for a shift, you lost 1/2 of your pay increase for that 2 week pay period. Morale shot through the floor. I left for another job within a couple of months. The place closed within a year. The only job that I've ever left without giving 2 weeks notice.

I hate this trend of people expecting that friends will read their blogs. Blog shmog.
And with the increasing nature of phones with Internet access and music capability, I can imagine this happening:

Blog on the run, blog on the run

No time to spare, let your friends beware

No SMS for me. As I

And with the increasing nature of phones with Internet access and music capability, I can imagine this happening:

No time to spare, let your friends beware

No SMS for me. As I

You are a very, very bad monkey.

:thumbup:

Blogs are write-only memory. Not quite as uncivil a practice as defecating in public' date=' but the long-term effect is often the same.[/quote']

While the internet has given everyone on Earth the chance to speak up and be heard, it has done nothing to change the fact that, by and large, people have nothing useful to say.

Since when does a D&D Paladin's Cure Disease ability have to abide by the real-world technically correct definition of disease? My GM pulled that one on me and I was a bit miffed -- "Oh' date=' you can cure the [i']Disease[/i] :eg: but not the Viral Infection. Also, if someone's not suffering any effects from an Infection, they don't have a Disease for you to cure."

Which means my character wouldn't be able to cure someone who is a carrier -- like Typhoid Mary. :thumbdown :thumbdown :mad:

Yeah, I know there is a technical real-world difference between the words "Disease" and "Infection". But the game is for 10 and up (at least that's what it used to say). Since when did we expect 10 year olds to know this technical hairsplitting crap?

To me, a disease *is* an infection. Regardless of symtoms or lack thereof. Just about all infectious organisms have an incubation period during which there are no symptoms. Are we to conclude that they are disease-free during this period?

Respectfully, your GM is an asshat at best. Playing a Paladin involves so many limitations as to what they can and can't do and how they must behave, being a pedantic ass about their one point of glory is real joykilling. You could have been a fighter if you wanted to be the guy with the sword, and then you could be a treasure mad bandit instead of a boyscout who's always at the head of the party, trying to keep the thief from getting hurt. Seriously - bad GM. You have my sympathies, and I hope he sees reason. Is it possible that you could communicate that he's crapping on the cool part of being a paladin? (It's gotta be a he, no she would do that unless you were dating her.)

Respectfully' date=' your GM is an asshat at best. Playing a Paladin involves so many limitations as to what they can and can't do and how they must behave, being a pedantic ass about their one point of glory is real joykilling. You could have been a fighter if you wanted to be the guy with the sword, and then you could be a treasure mad bandit instead of a boyscout who's always at the head of the party, trying to keep the thief from getting hurt. Seriously - bad GM. You have my sympathies, and I hope he sees reason. Is it possible that you could communicate that he's crapping on the cool part of being a paladin? (It's gotta be a he, no she would do that unless you were dating her.)[/quote']

Slight derail.

The only reason everyone thinks Pedantic Ass is a class-feature of Paladins is because almost no one has a clue on how to play them properly.

Think of Superman. He firmly believes in Truth, Justice and the American Way - not because he is a rabid patriot (read: fanatic), but because he honestly believes in those ideals; he does not support the U.S. Government, right or wrong. He does not believe in breaking the law to make sure justice is done the way Batman does. He believes in the traditional family values (he never had sex before he was married, he has always been faithful to his love interests, etc.) But those were his values - he doesn't preach. Yes, he will state his case, argue for it, and even fight for it, but he never insisted that everyone else should live by his standards. He doesn't like Batman's style, but he does respect the man, and can even work with him. Yet there are limits - neither Superman or Batman would work with a "hero" like the Punisher.

By the same token, a well-played Paladin can believe in his cause, his church, and his deity, yet not be a blind, flaming prick about it. He can live by his high standards, yet not look down upon those who walk a different path. He can set an example to inspire others without being preachy, or even stuffy.

In fact, a case can be made for the notion that for a paladin to insist others should live up to his standards and/or walk his path is hubris. Think of it: paladins "hear the call" and answer it. Not everyone is called as paladins are, and many may hear the call, but not answer. This makes paladins very, very special. They were called because they were worthy enough to be paladins. To hold others to that same standard is to not only belittle their own calling, but calls into question the wisdom of the gods!

Oh come now. Ten million teenage girls can't be wrong.

Dude, I know you were being a wise-ass, but my land-lady (aka SelkieSyrin) has a teenage daughter (aka. the Spawn). The Spawn of Selkie (SOS) is wrong about a great many things, and teens don't typically hang with folks who challenge their worldview -they have parents for that. So when SOS and her friends gather, they are the same kinds of wrong about the same topics. The more you add, it isn't just more of the same wrong, they're also louder about it.

It's wrong to the Nth Degree!

Kind of like the Bush Administration...

Slight derail.

The only reason everyone thinks Pedantic Ass is a class-feature of Paladins is because almost no one has a clue on how to play them properly.

I agree with your post in its entirety. I was grammatically imprecise - the GM is the pedantic ass that I had in mind.

usually I have days off. I just started in a brand new department with all my old job, but with lots of growth. I just went on a trip to help out a group in Vegas and it looks like I'll have to go back next week. It's not too bad. My new manager has already compensated me for some of it, and I got some nice feedback that got acknowledged by my director, so I'm tired. But it's a worthit tired.