Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Been watching Fight Science, an excellent series on the National Geographic Chanel.

Two musings:

1) What goes on in the body of a highly trained human can be vastly different from what goes on in the body of an untrained human. That doctors, nutritionists, martial arts instructors and exercise gurus so often fail to realize this is the cause of much pointless pain and suffering. Related Note: Nutritionists who refuse to look at the research on protein needs and activity types and levels are harming people through willful ignorance.

I would like to hear more about this.

2) Scientists talking about subjects outside of their area of specialization can be just as uninformed as anyone else; smug as well. However' date=' at least a scientist will generally admit he's wrong when faced with the evidence, especially when he conducts the tests himself; that's not the case with the average Joe in an Internet argument.[/quote']

I wonder if it is possible to educate children in such a way as to encourage the “scientific attitude” – i.e. so that when grown up, most of them actually will care about the facts enough to admit to being wrong?

If you change the order of certain words in a thread, you can change the meaning of the thread? For example:

The actual thread: How many dragon's teeth adorn YOUR shield?

Reworded: How many shields adorn YOUR dragon's teeth?

The actual thread: Cool guns for your game

Reworded: Cool games for your gun

Maybe you should start a thread on that.

I already made a post about “A Muse for Random Threadings.”

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary observes that lo, it is easier for a palindromedary to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, than for Lucius Alexander to get “the freakin’ thread through that microscopic eye of the bloody needle!”

I would like to hear more about this.

About athletes, training and doctors? Too much to go into without getting boring. However, the thought was brought up when I was watching an episode of Fight Science; an athlete's lactic acid levels were tested before and after one full minute of intense exertion. A non-athlete's lactic acid levels would be expected to go up; for the first minute at least, the athlete's lactic acid levels actually went down. Similarly, a Navy Seal was immersed in a tank of ice water for a full hour. Untrained individuals would be expected to experience a dangerous drop in core temperature in under 20 minutes; the Navy Seal's core temperature rose for the first 15 minutes, and was still higher than normal at the end of the hour.

You can do amazing things with training.

I told my nephew not to stick that penny in the outlet.

afterwords, I told him "You're grounded"

(To paraphrase Tim Allen)

Heh. I remember my first physics experiment, about age 4. I had a theory that electricity was a fluid, and it came out of one hole in the socket, went through whatever appliance was plugged in, then went back in the other hole.

So to see which hole it came out of, I stuck a paper clip into the right-hand slot of the socket.

I recall feeling very peculiar, and my parents staring at me like I was an alien. The memory ends there.

Heh. I remember my first physics experiment, about age 4. I had a theory that electricity was a fluid, and it came out of one hole in the socket, went through whatever appliance was plugged in, then went back in the other hole.

So to see which hole it came out of, I stuck a paper clip into the right-hand slot of the socket.

I recall feeling very peculiar, and my parents staring at me like I was an alien. The memory ends there.

So that's why you became a scientist?

Ah, the old stick-something-in-an-outlet coming of age tale. Such memories. I was at the best friend's house, maybe first or second grade. I believe we used a screwdriver and a metal belt buckle. Big zap. Nobody hurt, thank goodness, but we killed that outlet. At the time we had no idea about breakers or fuses, and we didn't want to get in trouble so he just went without using that outlet. Ever. As far as I know nobody has fixed it to this day. :snicker:

Ah' date=' the old stick-something-in-an-outlet coming of age tale. Such memories. I was at the best friend's house, maybe first or second grade. I believe we used a screwdriver and a metal belt buckle. Big zap. Nobody hurt, thank goodness, but we killed that outlet. At the time we had no idea about breakers or fuses, and we didn't want to get in trouble so he just went without using that outlet. Ever. As far as I know nobody has fixed it to this day. :snicker:[/quote']

I once tried to wash a dusty lightbulb with a water & rubbing alcohol solution -- while it was on. :eek:

I wasn't able to find enough of the bulb afterwords to tell if it had gotten clean or not. :nonp:

Now both sides are cold and the spark has gone.

The electricity has gone out of the relationship.

There's not more magnetism. They resist their current feelings.

There's still potential for a connection in a current or future phase.

Alright, enough of that!

You're all grounded :ugly: