Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Picked up S.M. Sterling's Dies the Fire a couple of days ago.

What does it say about your life when you buy a Post Apocalypse novel and recognize one of the main characters as a fictionalized version of one of your old friends?

So, did you survive?

Slightly off topic. I've read and liked the entire series. My main problem is he had eastern Missouri as a death zone and it has a lower population density than the Williamette. And Kirksville, just outside St. Louis survives (With no natural barriers to keep people out.) when areas 2 hours drive away from major population centers didn't?

I'd rather have a coffee-flavor granita. Now there's my non-alcohol summer heat beverage of choice. Sadly, you can't get them here because a granita machine is expensive, and most people don't want one once it's below 70 F outdoors, which describes Seattle for all but about 8 days a year.

That the West Coast Pagans all know each other? ^^

Yeah, pretty much. That and the semi-nomadic historical re-enactment/pagan festival subculture will likely produce an abnormal quantity of survivors, depending on the nature of the Apocalypse. This one was custom made for us to thrive ;)

So, did you survive?

Slightly off topic. I've read and liked the entire series. My main problem is he had eastern Missouri as a death zone and it has a lower population density than the Williamette. And Kirksville, just outside St. Louis survives (With no natural barriers to keep people out.) when areas 2 hours drive away from major population centers didn't?

Haven't gotten deep enough into the books to get to these bits yet.

Pretty sure I'm not in there, but that would be... even stranger.

I didn't know you could only rep three people a day now. How come ?

Just gave out five reps in a row before getting "You have given out enough" warning.

All the people on the list were worthy of rep, just didn't feel like pinpointing a particular post.

I think it's a limit of 5 in any 24-hour period. If you give out two at 4 PM Thursday (assuming a start from blank slate, that is, none before that on Thursday), then give three on Friday morning after that, you'll be blocked from giving more until after 4PM Friday.

Why are so many people so down on clowns?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes mimes are held in even lower esteem

Several reasons though I think the most popular is that they got subjected to some clown in Childhood that was more scary than entertaining. So now it's pretty embedded in subconscious.

My wife has the phobia, but she's got a good handle on it. What's odd, we think that's why she doesn't like drive-thru's. The clown from Jack in the Box used to be where you ordered.

Archermoo has been watching Sharpe with Sean Bean methinks

Not recently unfortunately. I was reminded of the song by input.jack's location.

Poor Gary. :(

Not a fan of the Sharpe historical fiction, or not a fan of Sean Bean? Personally I like them both, and the books are even better than the movies. :P

The sound you hear is the anger of a 1' date='000 screaming members of the board descending on Narf the Mouse to rip him apart for relpying in this thread again instead of putting the reply in the Musings on Random Musings thread.[/quote']

Look, dude, it's another thing I have to remember - A special case, for one single thread, that applies to no other thread on the board, anywhere, nor have I ever encountered such a thing on any forum I have ever been on.

Be glad I remember much of the time and chill.

Not a fan of the Sharpe historical fiction' date=' or not a fan of Sean Bean? Personally I like them both, and the books are even better than the movies. :P[/quote']

I've seen a bit of the show, and it didn't exactly blow me away. And Sean Bean's acting style has that over-eager touch that, to me, can fit a part, and then again, not. He was picture-perfect as Boromir. ^^

Look, dude, it's another thing I have to remember - A special case, for one single thread, that applies to no other thread on the board, anywhere, nor have I ever encountered such a thing on any forum I have ever been on.

Be glad I remember much of the time and chill.

It is just a matter of politeness. The person who started the thread asked that people restrict themselves to random musings and to not reply to posts within that thread. It doesn't seem like it would take that much effort to just be polite.

I've seen a bit of the show' date=' and it didn't exactly blow me away. And Sean Bean's acting style has that over-eager touch that, to me, can fit a part, and then again, not. He was picture-perfect as Boromir. ^^[/quote']

Ah. I quite like the stories, and Sean seems to do a wonderful job of capturing the character of Sharpe. But to each their own. :)

It is just a matter of politeness. The person who started the thread asked that people restrict themselves to random musings and to not reply to posts within that thread. It doesn't seem like it would take that much effort to just be polite.

I try to remember. Mostly, I do. But, Death Tribble's response was way overboard.

And, it is something obscure I have to remember to check on every single thread here, when I've never had to anywhere else, to make sure it isn't Random Musings. So no, remembering it is not automatic. I've said I'm absent-minded; I meant it. Deal or not; if you're going to be offended over something minor like that, when it isn't even deliberate - Then I really can't help further.

And, it is something obscure I have to remember to check on every single thread here, when I've never had to anywhere else, to make sure it isn't Random Musings. So no, remembering it is not automatic. I've said I'm absent-minded; I meant it. Deal or not; if you're going to be offended over something minor like that, when it isn't even deliberate - Then I really can't help further.

Sheesh. Look, I'm not offended, and it's my thread. However, please do try to remember that the point of the thread is random musings. :) Not semi-random musings, or random discussions, but a place to collect one-off posts without fear of the thread devolving into political flamewars or getting monopolized by a particular discussion. I got the idea from the forums over at Ars Technica, which had a thread exactly like it--though that was many years ago and I don't know if theirs has lasted as long as ours has.

Let's see - Death Tribble went overboard in what he said; I objected; Archermoo complained about my complaint; It seems reasonable to link the two posts.

I'm not sure where yours came from, as no-one said anything your way, except obliquely. :)

I have no objection to thread rules. I have an objection to what Death Tribble *Said*. I thought I made that clear.

I try to remember. Mostly, I do. But, Death Tribble's response was way overboard.

At this point I'm curious: How do you navigate the message board that makes it so you can't tell what thread you are looking at?

As to it being something that obscure, it is just an extension to the general rule that is part of any online forum that I've ever been a part of: Keep you comments on topic. Just like any other thread, what can be considered on topic depends on the specifics of the particular thread. The Random Musings thread just has a narrower range of what is considered on topic than usual.

Let's see - Death Tribble went overboard in what he said; I objected; Archermoo complained about my complaint; It seems reasonable to link the two posts.

I'm not sure where yours came from, as no-one said anything your way, except obliquely. :)

I have no objection to thread rules. I have an objection to what Death Tribble *Said*. I thought I made that clear.

As to that, I'll just say this: People will react to others doing things that they consider to be rude. If you don't like the reactions you get, you might consider looking at what is causing those reactions. As you say, deal or not. Being absent minded is a reason for doing rude things sometimes, but it doesn't necessarily shield you from people responding to the rudeness.