Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

In the Compliment' date=' Envy, and You Don't Know Me threads, I've been noticing a lot of positive feedback on my beard. Is it really that hard to grow one? If so, I feel bad, because I only let myself grow the fool thing through pure laziness.[/quote']

Well, I can't grow a beard. I can grow a nice scruff that will suffice well for begging on the side of the road. I actually envy the women who don't grow anything, since then I wouldn't have to shave. :D

Despite what it looks like, this is not a reply. Its a random thought inspired by a previous random thought.

Something I've noticed in the Envy/Compliment/Whatever thread is that the greatest majority of comments regarding me are about my website/PBEM or my cooking.

Is it just that I haven't let out all that much personal information?

There's other stuff that can be dug out, but do we really want to bring up your law experience? ;)

Guest Skaramine

In the Compliment' date=' Envy, and You Don't Know Me threads, I've been noticing a lot of positive feedback on my beard. Is it really that hard to grow one? If so, I feel bad, because I only let myself grow the fool thing through pure laziness.[/quote']

Trust me, Klytus. I've tried to grow facial hair. Mine, when it comes out, is slow, and before it can start to look good, it looks like I'm an Italian housewife late for her waxing, never mind that only my upper lip has any kind of thickness and consistency. My chin and jaw are sparse as sagebrush, never mind the fact that nothing grows to connect the chin scrub to my 'stache.

Maybe I should just grow the stash and get a white-boy 'fro like early Ron Post.

Trust me' date=' Klytus. I've tried to grow facial hair. Mine, when it comes out, is slow, and before it can start to look good, it looks like I'm an Italian housewife late for her waxing, never mind that only my upper lip has any kind of thickness and consistency.[/quote']

The reverse of that is no picnic either. Shaving is a pain in the ass, of course, but I also have big, thick hairs that grow out of my eyebrows, ears, and nose, not to mention lone mutants that sprout from random places on my body. I used to have to do something about the unibrow--now I'm happy if I can keep the actual brows under control.

The reverse of that is no picnic either. Shaving is a pain in the ass' date=' of course, but I also have big, thick hairs that grow out of my eyebrows, ears, and nose, not to mention lone mutants that sprout from random places on my body. I used to have to do something about the unibrow--now I'm happy if I can keep the actual brows under control.[/quote']

Hmm, I still have the random hairs, etc... without the ability of a beard.

"Michael Moore didn't put anything in his little slugfest of a film that we haven't seen before on the editorial pages of every major newspaper. Political cartoonists have won Pulitzers for attacks that were far more partisan than Moore’s film' date=' yet he's the one being burned in effigy. It makes me wonder why so many powerful people are so afraid of a fat, unshaven man in a ball cap." -- Hunter S. Thompson[/quote']

I actually from all accounts don't think the film is objectionable as a "documentary". The problem is that Moore's prior slip-shod reporting and contrived-beyond-documentary-standards footage created a situation where this work now suffers from that. He got what he deserves, which is too bad for anyone supporting the cause he trumpeted here since he actually went to the trouble of making his arguably first reasonably credible film.

Personally this makes me very happy, glad to see it ultimately.

Guest Skaramine

Something I've noticed in the Envy/Compliment/Whatever thread is that the greatest majority of comments regarding me are about my website/PBEM or my cooking.

Just like Adam West is famous for Batman... one role out of how many?

"Michael Moore didn't put anything in his little slugfest of a film that we haven't seen before on the editorial pages of every major newspaper. Political cartoonists have won Pulitzers for attacks that were far more partisan than Moore’s film' date=' yet he's the one being burned in effigy. It makes me wonder why so many powerful people are so afraid of a fat, unshaven man in a ball cap." -- Hunter S. Thompson[/quote']

For the same reason liberals go after the Jerry Falwell's of the world - he makes the most noise, so he draws the most fire. Whether the noise he is making makes any sense... well... that's subject to interpretation.

Like many others have mentioned - folks go for the easy-to-remember stuff. Off the top of my head, I know from these boards that: you have Seminole Indian blood, was once homeless, are a recovering alcoholic and a man of deep faith, you once served in the military - military intelligence no less, were once a lawyer, were once in an abusive relationship where your partner beat you with a baseball bat, you are a professional movie critic as well as a chef, you are not simply a strong liberal, but powerfully anti-Republican because you were once a member of that party and feel betrayed by them, yet you can be friends with those whose politics differs from your own, you have very strong opinions about things and have the courage of your convictions to call other people wrong when that is what you think (whether this is good or bad is a mater of opinion), and you are personal friends with Kara and Rachel and Kara's hero and first-cousin Fred (a man you are willing to kill for).

Am I missing anything? ;)