Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Guest Skaramine

Re: Musings on Random Musings

O v O

Aw, man, that's gonna be one expensive shipping cost. :winkgrin:

Hopefully I'll get employee discount. ^_~

I'm sorry. I did post warnings for my attempt at a novel. I guess it's creeping into my other writings too. :(

At least, in my case, it has nothing to do with your thread, which is a kind of cool variant of the Baen Free Library concept. You put warnings up and nothing you've posted is inappropriate to the milieu of Mack Bolan, or action adventure novels in general. In my case its some of the thread topics that have been cropping up (less so this), and the way several posters have been treating one another - it amounts to social violence and a serious lack of personal ethics in many cases. I wouldn't want you to stop sharing your creative efforts because a few of us have begun some vague rumblings about some of the trends we're seeing on the boards.

Guest Skaramine

Common decorum requires some things be kept private. A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell; and a lady retains her mystique. On the internet there are forums dedicated to all manner topics. The trick, is being able to guage the light and the music, and the mood of the people at the next table, before errupting in displays of psychological nudity.

[/i]

Alas, I keep forgetting to take this to the LRTE or Bec's Double Entendre thread. Sigh.

At least' date=' in my case, it has nothing to do with your thread, which is a kind of cool variant of the Baen Free Library concept. You put warnings up and nothing you've posted is inappropriate to the milieu of Mack Bolan, or action adventure novels in general. In my case its some of the thread topics that have been cropping up (less so this), and the way several posters have been treating one another - it amounts to social violence and a serious lack of personal ethics in many cases. I wouldn't want you to stop sharing your creative efforts because a few of us have begun some vague rumblings about some of the trends we're seeing on the boards.[/quote']

Von D-Man, just how the heck many times do you want me to be in rep-debt to you anyway? I've got two of your posts on my "to rep" list, and now I've got to add a third? Sheesh!

( ;) )

Guest Skaramine

At least' date=' in my case, it has nothing to do with your thread, which is a kind of cool variant of the Baen Free Library concept. You put warnings up and nothing you've posted is inappropriate to the milieu of Mack Bolan, or action adventure novels in general. In my case its some of the thread topics that have been cropping up (less so this), and the way several posters have been treating one another - it amounts to social violence and a serious lack of personal ethics in many cases. I wouldn't want you to stop sharing your creative efforts because a few of us have begun some vague rumblings about some of the trends we're seeing on the boards.[/quote']

Ah. Okay. So it's not the flirtations and double entendres, but... other nasty wickedness.

Par for the course for political discussion in many internet fora, yet, still annoying in the extremis.

Guest Skaramine

Shocked: Huh' date=' what?![/quote']

Oh... coming down on Mightybec's latest avatar, I think.

Nothing. Very not-important.

I've mostly forgotten what it was about, anyway.

Decides to take the masculine out: oh, well that's settled then.

Walks away swifty, whistling, with his hat pulled down and hands crammed into his pockets.

Decides to take the masculine out: oh, well that's settled then.

Walks away swifty, whistling, with his hat pulled down and hands crammed into his pockets.

Oh; don't worry. I really hate rehashing old arguments that are settled and where everyone's over it. Rehashing really doesn't solve a thing.

Alice' date=' I think you just helped me pay my next yearly dues for the "Clueless Club", since I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about! :D:thumbup:[/quote']

Well, GOOD, because there's no reason to drag it back out into the open. It was a dumb disagreement over something that had no relevance on my life, and I'm a little ashamed I got as annoyed as I did about it.

Guest Skaramine

Well' date=' GOOD, because there's no reason to drag it back out into the open. It was a dumb disagreement over something that had no relevance on my life, and I'm a little ashamed I got as annoyed as I did about it.[/quote']

Gah... sorry. Didn't mean to blab.

Gah... sorry. Didn't mean to blab.

That's fine.

An oblique mention is one thing. Now, if I'd come back with, "You don't remember? You don't REMEMBER?????? Well, now I'm all pissed off all over again, 'cause that was the most important argument EVAR!"

I wish I could say I was exaggerating, but I have seen similar responses before.

Von D-Man' date=' just how the heck many times do you want me to be in rep-debt to you anyway? I've got two of your posts on my "to rep" list, and now I've got to add a [i']third[/i]? Sheesh!

( ;) )

Rep Debt?

Maybe I should go into the repuation loan sharking business - set a number of points per week on the principle... :D

It's kinda hard for me to explain, and I might just be imagining things, or maybe projecting, but I'm just seeing an Iron Age mentality (for lack of better terminology) slowly but surely creep into the boards. Some of the threads have been edgy lately. Sex, killing, dark humor...it just seems a bit more--I dunno, "blatant", I guess--than before. Some might say it's healthy dialogue, discussion and debate, but I'm not seein' it like that. It's like there's been a slight attitude shift, like someone dropped a bit more cynicism into the mix.

It's not bad right now. It just has the potential to be bad. And by bad I mean disheartening.

Or maybe not. One man's opinion and all that.

I think we run in cycles, but the more people crop up the more this tends to happen anywhere. Some of those who tend to promote decorum have been less active, though I'm not sure if there's new ones picking up that torch as I haven't spent much time at all on NGD outside of currently subscribed threads.

Oh... that. His avatar is worse than anything I could possibly say about it.

It's just making fun of the woman about which there's a media storm as to her degree of lying and the marriage thing and all that, right? Crass, sure, but not (in my mind) anything so bad as many other things, especially as it's a "celebrity" (willing or not).

Lemming, nice to see your note, tried to call you yesterday but Chromatic called just after and said you had fallen out of cell range. The wireless deal doesn't sound so bad now that you know the whole story.

PS - whoops, just saw your e-mail, too!

I'm not entirely comfortable with some of the psychological nudity that's been cropping up lately' date=' either. I would phrase it as a lack of decorum, but Iron Age Mentality might fit as well. I will have to observe and ponder.[/quote']

Your point about the scene on the patio was well taken. I'm glad there isn't a stupid censor function in this system (like there was in the Cybergames site) but sometimes the vulgarity seems wrong.

Then again, there are a few times that it seems right, depending on the situation. Once when recounting my Turakian Age campaign, I printed a player's F-word comment verbatim cause that pretty much summed up his reaction and the mess he was in.

I've found that it actually takes a refined sense of taste to be really tasteless. When you're just being vulgar 'cause you don't know any better, it doesn't work as well. ;)

JG