Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Generally the views I have get labeled "conservative", but I'm not really sure what I'd call it. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the bigwig corporate types; my attitudes and views come from my rural farm upbringing. Is there some kind of...I dunno..."grass-roots conservatism" or "fundamentalist (not the religious kind) conservatism" or something like that? In short, there needs to be a federal government to handle things like regulating commerce, national defense, and so on, but it should keeps its hands off of and nose out of people's lives as much as possible.

Is there a name for that? :think:

I'd say populist.

Alice has always been my first name, though my maiden name used to be 'Alice Nelson.' I mean, why didn't they just name me 'Vanilla' and be done with it?

So I very much appreciate my new, unique name, especially because it makes my initials ARK.

And I've learned to like my first name, too. Took a while, but once I stopped getting asked directions to Wonderland in reference to my being such a space case, I got used to it.

Until I was 28, I was Michelle Anahid Nersesian (and in typical cruel school-kid fashion, the kids immediately latched onto the fact that a girl's initials were MAN, and the jokes were off and running - the non-name related nicknames I got were even worse). Thankfully, "Michelle" never got me much grief by itself (apart from every high school teacher thinking they were being original when they'd start singing the Beatles song at the start of each year when they'd read the attendance sheet).

Now my last name is Travis (INFINITELY easier to spell than my maiden name), and my initials are now MNT. Much better.

I have told John in no uncertain terms that there are certain names no child of ours will ever be saddled with ('Randy' is the first one that comes to mind), no matter how catchy the initials or how trendy the name. Hell no.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Guest Skaramine

Dr A' date=' I don't know what political persuasion I am, nor do I really care. All I know that if I lean too far right or too far left it's mighty awkward walking forward, not to mention a slightly distorted way of viewing the world; way balance is the key. :whistle::D[/quote']

I'm reminded of my own personal answer to the conservative/liberal question:

How many one-winged birds to do see flying under their own power?

Go Ben Go!

A week's cooling off period for the NGD!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

Lock it down!

/this is not a joke. I'm dead serious. Word.

Actually, you may have something, there. I'd get a crapload of work done if there was no NGD to read.

Guest Skaramine

Until I was 28, I was Michelle Anahid Nersesian (and in typical cruel school-kid fashion, the kids immediately latched onto the fact that a girl's initials were MAN, and the jokes were off and running - the non-name related nicknames I got were even worse). Thankfully, "Michelle" never got me much grief by itself (apart from every high school teacher thinking they were being original when they'd start singing the Beatles song at the start of each year when they'd read the attendance sheet).

Now my last name is Travis (INFINITELY easier to spell than my maiden name), and my initials are now MNT. Much better.

I have told John in no uncertain terms that there are certain names no child of ours will ever be saddled with ('Randy' is the first one that comes to mind), no matter how catchy the initials or how trendy the name. Hell no.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

You know...

You still have that middle name...

Michelle Anahid Nersesian Travis Is Samuraiko.

MANTIS.

:D

You know...

You still have that middle name...

Michelle Anahid Nersesian Travis Is Samuraiko.

MANTIS.

:D

Actually, no I don't. I legally changed it when I got married, so my full name is now Michelle Nersesian Travis.

But I still like the idea of MANTIS. Quite cool. :D

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Well, night 2 of my new life as a single man.

I stopped wearing my wedding ring last night after I found out that Jenny hadn't been wearing hers since february.

I hadn't noticed for two months. Perhaps there is more to what she said about my inability to notice her. Perhaps not. We've had dinner together both nights I have been on my own, and I just paid her gas bill online (she gave me a check). It's weird; I know that things are going to be bad. That I will miss her. I hope she's okay, I really worry about her. Part of me hopes that she and I learn independance from this whole mess and maybe we can try again. Part of me wants her to suffer a bit, just so she knows that I contributed more to the marriage than games and sex toys.

I dunno. Her parents helped me move my stuff. There's one more load tomorrow and I gave her my keys to the house. I miss my dog. I miss my big house. On the plus side I can look at all the racy pictures I want to now. yay!

the worst part is we both feel like we failed the other. Neither of us have any idea how to be "single" and I'm not sure we even know where to look for others.

Oh well. I treasure the time I had. It was the best 15 years (and worse four months) of my life. Now it's time to start anew.

Hi, I am Chad. How you doin'?

Before I read this post, I would've said that my life had gone a bit sideways, and was waiting to find out how hard it will be to get it back on track.

Having read your post, that assessment feels a bit self centered. You have both my sympathy and best wishes. I cannot say I know how you feel, as I've never been married. However I have been close twice, so I can at least have a shadow of an understanding.

Hi Chad, I'm Gary. I'm doing okay. Anything I can do to help?

Guest Skaramine

I had no idea that Hero threads show up in a Yahoo search...

Every now and again I do a search on Yahoo to make sure that no one is posting my book without permission, and to my surprise, both zazaza.net (my unofficial author page) and the Hero threads of my story are both in the listings!

GOOD JORB, SISSY!

:rockon::cheers::celebrate: :coach::drink::joint:

Actually, no I don't. I legally changed it when I got married, so my full name is now Michelle Nersesian Travis.

But I still like the idea of MANTIS. Quite cool. :D

Why, thank you, ma'am :D.

(Although, when I saw your "MNT" initials, my first thought was "Mutant Ninja Turtle!")

Gary the Fairy was one of the favs I frequently got. Kids are cruel. If they want to make fun of someone' date=' they'll find something.[/quote']

My mom wanted to make sure I didn't have a name that was easy to make fun of. My grandmother wanted me to be named Johann Otto (which is someways would of been cool, but yeesh). Of course then my mom gave me the middle name of Eric so Marky was common after the teacher would read me off . Then later, Morgan was the common mangling. Morganism and Morgasm were the most common is high school, but by then I didn't care.

I know a Butts, and it's funny because my wife asked him if he ever had problems with his name. At which point he ranted about how he always disliked "Ed" and what a terrible name it was. Took my wife a bit to clarify. :D

Before I read this post, I would've said that my life had gone a bit sideways, and was waiting to find out how hard it will be to get it back on track.

Having read your post, that assessment feels a bit self centered. You have both my sympathy and best wishes. I cannot say I know how you feel, as I've never been married. However I have been close twice, so I can at least have a shadow of an understanding.

Hi Chad, I'm Gary. I'm doing okay. Anything I can do to help?

Nah, I am going okay. The depression has thus far been relegated to a few minutes before bed and whenever I see a pug. You guys have all been very good to me. I knew there was a reason I came here. Thanks, everyone.

Nah' date=' I am going okay. The depression has thus far been relegated to a few minutes before bed and whenever I see a pug. You guys have all been very good to me. I knew there was a reason I came here. Thanks, everyone.[/quote']

If there's anything you need, just feel free to ask. I'm sure someone here will be able & willing to help out in some fashion.

BTW' date=' Samuraiko, meant to say sorry to hear about your troubles.[/quote']

What trouble

Last Thursday I came down with a wicked food allergy that nearly put me in the hospital. Not fun at all... and still recovering from it four days later.

Thanks for remembering, Zorn...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Last Thursday I came down with a wicked food allergy that nearly put me in the hospital. Not fun at all... and still recovering from it four days later.

Thanks for remembering, Zorn...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

From he-who-was-born-allergic-to-milk-and-all-grains, you have my sympathy.

Fortunately I can have both dairy and grains now, but remain at least mildly allergic to citrus. And I love grapefruit...

Guest Worldmaker

Want to know something bizare? (or maybe not)

Sad Songs now have images attached. :(

Give it enough time and angry songs will too. You might not want to believe it now, but it will happen...