Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Thanks. Took a look at our budget' date=' woo. Good thing I'll be working soon. Moving costs suck. Next time, I'm dumping everything. [/quote']Likewise good luck! Just think...soon you'll be back to accumulating things you'll have to get rid of the next time you move... :sneaky:

Actually, I'm sympathetic. I'm finally spending some time going through the 34 tubs (18 gallon capacity each) and 29 large postal mailing boxes of stuff that I moved when I had to switch apartments. I've been dividing it 3 ways: trash, stuff to give away (and dumpsterize if no one wants it) and stuff to keep and/or go through again later for a "2nd cut". Most of the stuff going into the "giveaway" piles are things that are perfectly good, even brand new, but are things that seemed neat when I got them but I haven't touched for several years. That tells me they're not that important, and I could use the space.

So far out of 34 tubs I'm down to 7 that make the "keep, go through again later" category and 5 I've yet to go through. On the boxes, I'm down to just 5 that still need to be gone through.

It's not easy, and is often rather sad, but is also in some fashion quite satisfying. :)

I don't particularly care for barbara streisand as an entertainer. I just don't "get" her movies and don't like most of her music. After watching most of Yentl (ugh!)... lets just say I prefer to disregard her existance. At sundown tonight' date=' as Independance Day began, someone blasted a track of her singing [i']HaTikva[/i] - the national anthem. I concede, the woman has an angelic voice.
See? It's not a complete loss... :P

John T

See? It's not a complete loss... :P

John T

They've moved on to really upbeat Israeli pop music, which has a lot of north african and middle eastern influence. The entire yishuv is literally thrumming with it (and its 22:30 here). I can see the fireworks from the window while I type (our back yard is terraced so I can see over the roof of the gush behind ours). They're lighting up the entire valley. Its a really cool sight.

I don't particularly care for barbara streisand as an entertainer. I just don't "get" her movies and don't like most of her music. After watching most of Yentl (ugh!)... lets just say I prefer to disregard her existance. At sundown tonight' date=' as Independance Day began, someone blasted a track of her singing [i']HaTikva[/i] - the national anthem. I concede, the woman has an angelic voice.

I always thought so. She's just got an attitude. ;)

JG

They've moved on to really upbeat Israeli pop music' date=' which has a lot of north african and middle eastern influence. The entire [i']yishuv[/i] is literally thrumming with it (and its 22:30 here). I can see the fireworks from the window while I type (our back yard is terraced so I can see over the roof of the gush behind ours). They're lighting up the entire valley. Its a really cool sight.
Hmmm, might have to look some of that up. I have multicultural music tastes. :P

I glean from the context that yishuv is possibly loosely (or not so loosely) translated as "neighborhood", but what's a gush? House? Garage? Something else entirely? Don't mind me, just indulging my curiosity. :D

John T

Hmmm, might have to look some of that up. I have multicultural music tastes. :P

I glean from the context that yishuv is possibly loosely (or not so loosely) translated as "neighborhood", but what's a gush? House? Garage? Something else entirely? Don't mind me, just indulging my curiosity. :D

John T

Yishuv means settlement, but Beit El has grown into a small town (8,000). A gush is a building containing 4-5 multi-story townhouses. We're renting a basement in one of the town houses in our gush, but Beit El is built on terraced hills, so we can see over the roofs of the gush behind us and into the valley from our window.

We have two stray cats in the neighborhood. The apartment complex doesn't seem to care one bit about it. One of the cats ticked of Herc and Herc knocked out the screen door to get to the cat and scare it away. Go Herc! :thumbup:

Well I just saw the grey cat again. Now I feel bad. It isn't using its front left leg at all. I think something happened to it and it broke its leg. I'm also angry because the complex, had they actually done something when I called about the problem, could have prevented this. :(

Call animal control. You wrote down the number and put it by the phone for that very reason.

Animal Control says I have to do the dirty work and then call them back. :(

Weird. The office says they were usually pretty good about coming down to get our strays.

We should call them sometime this week and ask what number they're using, because we just got a runaround. The way the woman at the office talked about it, I thought it would be a lot less complicated.

Or, we could just ignore it until we move and/or someone else's cat gets hurt or killed by this stray. I hate to think of it that way, but if that's the answer we're going to get, why bother?

And Animal Control should have a humane trap they can lend us. So WTF?

Yishuv means settlement' date=' but Beit El has grown into a small town (8,000). A [i']gush[/i] is a building containing 4-5 multi-story townhouses. We're renting a basement in one of the town houses in our gush, but Beit El is built on terraced hills, so we can see over the roofs of the gush behind us and into the valley from our window.
Ah, okay, so I wasn't TOO far off the mark. :)

Sounds like you have a nice view, too. The 3rd-floor apartment Michelle and I used to live in had a fantastic west view of Oro Valley, N-NW of Tucson, AZ. :thumbup:

John T

I saw the headline "'Lemming' to Open Cannes Film Festival" and thought' date=' 'How cool!'. Then I realized they were talking about an actual movie and my interest waned purdy darn quick.[/quote']

Yea. Those rat bastards. I was all packed and ready to go too!

I don't know what I did exactly' date=' but I obviously went to the wrong place...I'm getting tons of German spam! And a lot of it is absolutely straight stuff about the Dresden news story. How weird.[/quote']It's not just you; I've been getting it for two or three days now. My guess is it's the current attempt at circumventing spam filters.

Or maybe the Hero forums got 'harvested' by a German spambot...?