Thinking of making Astro-Knight, but what Job skills would he have?

Hermit

Nothing written in stone yet, but I may have a chance to get a PC going in HEROcentral. The concept I am thinking of is a Powered Armor type, the guy gets his suit from either some alien storage, or an alien itself (Working on the details, I don't want to rip off the Hal Jordan thing to much). I was thinking of having the guy working at NASA. An Astronaut is a pretty cool secret ID after all, kind of glamourous. On the other hand, it occurs to me that might be overdone or unlikely. Maybe some sort of technician or scientist would be an option? Heck, maybe the janitor.

Then it occured to me I have little idea what sort of skills an Astronaut needs for his job. I know they have to be physically fit, but does anyone know what the qualifications would be like in game speak?

Much appreciate any input

Re: Thinking of making Astro-Knight, but what Job skills would he have?

Combat Pilot, lots of transport familiarities, Navigation:Air, Land, maybe Space, Mathematics, Paramedic, Electronics, probably Scientist and a few Science skills, VacSuit, Emergency Damage Control, PS:Astronaut for anything you missed.

Here's Canada's (I assume America's is similar - all I could find was a BS in Engineering with 3 years of work experience for USA in my half-hearted search)

General Selection Requirements

In order to meet the demands of the job, all prospective astronauts must demonstrate that they can meet the following general selection criteria:

Canadian citizenship

Level II SECRET security clearance

Excellent communication skills (preferably in both French and English)

Effective interpersonal skills

High moral standards

Personal integrity

In addition to meeting the general selection requirements, applicants must also meet a number of medical and educational qualifications.

Education and Experience Requirements

Because astronauts are required to perform a broad range of scientific and technical work, prospective candidates must hold at least a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in one of the following areas:

Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil (Structures) or Chemical Engineering, Engineering Physics

Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geology, Mathematics or Computer Science

Medicine or Physiology

Psychology or Sociology

Candidates with a Bachelor's degree must have at least three years of relevant post-graduate experience, either working towards a higher degree (i.e. a Master's degree or a doctorate), or in industry. Medical applicants, meanwhile, must have appropriate practical experience in clinics and/or hospitals. In all cases, a candidate's experience should reflect a progression of skill, knowledge, and leadership achievement.

Medical Requirements

To withstand the physical demands of training and spaceflight, candidates are expected to demonstrate a high level of fitness and a clean bill of health. To be selected, applicants must meet the medical requirements for International Space Station (ISS) crew members, which are based on the NASA Class II medical standards. Following selection, CSA astronauts must continue to pass yearly medical examinations in order to maintain flight status.

The numerous criteria for ISS medical selection are reviewed continually as further understanding of the human body and its adaptations to the space environment is acquired. Following is a sample of some of the current standards for non-pilot astronauts:

Height between 148.6 cm and 193.04 cm (58.5 in. and 76.0 in.)

Visual acuity: 20/200 or better uncorrected, correctable to 20/20 in each eye (at this time, candidates who have undergone corrective vision surgery/laser eye surgery will be disqualified)

Blood pressure: maximum of 140/90 mmHg, measured in a seated position

Hearing loss not to exceed:

Frequency (Hertz) 500 1000 2000 4000

Overall Loss Not to Exceed (decibels): 30 25 25 50

Loss in the Better Ear Not to Exceed: (decibels) 30 30 30 55

Loss in the Worst Ear Not to Exceed: (decibels) 35 50 50 75

In addition to demonstrating a high level of fitness and clean bill of health, prospective astronauts must also meet strict psychological criteria.

• 1 month later...

After Hermit got me thinking about it, I visited a few websites on the NASA pages (http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/factsheets/asseltrn.html; http://aerospacescholars.jsc.nasa.gov/HAS/cirr/ss/2/5.cfm) and got to thinking about the Astronaut Package Deal in more detail. I think it can be done along the same lines as the Packages in Dark Champions. I'm just sorry I didn't say so earlier; my apologies.

Astro-Knight is a wanker and he needs to get run out of Houston!

*wink*

Seriously, I think you've done a fine job with him, Hermit. With a little help from the HERO-philes.

Sweet.

Actually, special thanks should go to Zed for his ideas on things as well. Turned out to be very handy.

:)