Superman for President?

DoctorItron

Re: Superman for President?

Is there a specific reason superpowers appeared at that point' date=' albeit one unknown to the players and general populace??[/quote']

Yes, a combination of circumstances caused superpowers to appear. It's unknown to all but a tiny handful in the universe. I can't give out the circumstances here because I don't want my players to know. :hush:

The circumstances have absolutely no bearing on the Presidential election. Those who know why there are superpowers are above such trivial matters as caring about human politics.

If you can find it, the Marvel Comic, “What if Captain America Had Been Elected President?†(What if #26) Would be a wonderful resource and covers a lot of what people have been discussing.

Ideas for Pargon:

Paragon probably would be best off getting the nomination from an already existing minor third party. (Captain America was nominated by the Populists). He needs to have some sort of political support system in place in order to handle all the details.

Paragon would be wise to choose a vice president that is already part of the system. That is what Captain America did. Captain America to the Senator he asked to be his running mate, “I think I can get elected but if a president can’t work with congress he might as well have lost. I like your voting record and you know the Washington scene. I’ll need a partner with those qualifications to make up for my lack of experience.†[What if #26]

As for the secret id problem. Captain America handled it as follows: “And to my detractors, those who say that you do not know the face behind my mask. I answer that I have served my country proudly since 1941 in this mask and I do not intend to stop when elected. Still, when I am elected, I will reveal my identity—as I have to my running mate to show that my mask will not come between me and the people I serve.†[What if #26]

And of course, he’s got to come up with more to his platform than "Vote for me, since the villains can't kill me. And I'm pretty resistant to mind-control, too." Which he already knows. People are going to ask him everything from his views on the economy, to abortion, to military spending, etc.

Ideas for his opponents:

Considering that Paragon is probably a national hero, and likely to end up protecting the next president if he doesn’t get elected, his opponents will realize that running his name through the mud would be likely to backfire. They would be wise allow the media and outside groups to drag up any interesting personal details about him and instead focus on the issues. They may be able to do well debating issues against him, since he doesn’t seem to have a great platform yet.

That said, I like Fireman election example Chuckg posted. That would be a brilliant strategy on the part of one of his opponents.

The World in General:

There is going to be a media frenzy. Some in favor, some against. Everything Paragon has done in the public eye and a good bit that he did privately is going to be dragged out and discussed.

(One of my college professors once stated that the reason we aren’t getting the caliber of presidents that the U.S. used to is because the truly great men don’t want to deal with all the privacy invasion. They’d rather make their mark in industry, through charities, and in other places where they don’t have to worry about their lives and the lives of their families and friends being dragged through the mud. Is a good point really. And it will have an impact on Paragon.)

There is going to be tons of controversy. Probably more than there would be about electing a female, black, or gay president. There will be picketers, speeches, and conspiracy theories and quite probably some violence about all of this. I wouldn’t rule out assassination attempts either.

The other superhumans will get involved. Some will speak out in favor, some against. Some will state that they don’t endorse political candidates. Some will work behind the scenes to help him or stop him. Even some villains may support him. Our team of villains would, for the simple fact that getting a superhuman in office would be considered a good thing.

Any enemies are going to find ways to take advantages of this. And some villains are going to deliberately stage crimes when he’s busying speaking or out of the city campaigning and not free to stop them.

There is going to be a record turn out of voters.

After he is elected:

He may still be able to do some crime fighting in his free time (after all, most heroes do have full time jobs and still fight crime), but it is going to be harder and there will be a lot more scrutiny and criticism about it probably.

There will probably be some amusing scenes between him and the Secret Service men assigned to protect him.

He is going to become increasingly unpopular with some groups as he begins to push for stronger laws in regards to superhumans. Some former supporters may feel betrayed, if he promotes something like a registration act and they hadn’t realized he was planning to do so.

An increase in technology will spill over into non-law enforcement/military applications probably. Which will be a good thing.

Enemies will continue to target him though some will be more subtle and devious about it. And he will have a lot of new enemies.

As for the player:

Depending on the campaign, being president could either be a lot of fun or very tedious. It would work much better for a solo campaign than for one with a team. Otherwise, it will be hard for him to remain as involved with group missions, etc.

SNIP

As for the player:

Depending on the campaign, being president could either be a lot of fun or very tedious. It would work much better for a solo campaign than for one with a team. Otherwise, it will be hard for him to remain as involved with group missions, etc.

Oh, Paragon is an NPC, not a player character. I'm just fishing for ideas to make sure I don't have any gaping holes in my election subplot.

One of the players does seem interested in making a new character. I might appoint that character Secretary of Technology or something like that to elegantly retire his old character.

A villain with a billionaire industrialist secret ID (and there always has to be one of them, right?) might back Paragon in the hopes of winning his trust and landing the contract for the big supers defense project, which he would them subvert to his own ends.

A villain might also do some dirty tricks to get Paragon elected, then try and blackmail him later with forged evidence that he knew about it and approved.

A villain with a billionaire industrialist secret ID (and there always has to be one of them' date=' right?) might back Paragon in the hopes of winning his trust and landing the contract for the big supers defense project, which he would them subvert to his own ends.[/quote']

He'd do better off backing one of the "conventional" politicians in the race, as they're probably more likely to play political favor-trading than Mr. Superhero.

I mean, jeez, you want to buy favors off a politician, so you first approach the guy with Psych Lim: Superhero at Total? It doesn't quite add up.

Most likely political backlash would be that being superpowered, your hero would not know the problems the ordinary citizen goes through, and thus would not truly serve them. While heaping on the praise, the politicians would undoubtedly paint him as aloof and different, and someone that is completely ignorant of everday life. Like one of the Presidents that don't know the price of bread or of milk. End result, a previously unknown supervillian willing to play mudslinging politics in a way that the other politicians are not wins because of his "brave" stand on the issues. Ahh the beauty of democracy. As good old Winston said, "The best arguement against democracy is 5 minutes talking with the average voter." Or something like that.

Could you just imagine the negative campaign advertisements.

How can superman understand the importance of health care when he cannot get sick?

My parents always taught me traditional values of home and family, but superman is known to have been carrying on continuing relationships with several different women for decades now. If he can't do right by them, how can he do right by America?

Paragon somewhere between Kerry and Bush on most issues. The main wild card in the election is Paragon's "supervillains can't currently be stopped by the Secret Service' date=' so you need a superhero in office" message.[/quote']

Are you an American citizen? Are you over 18 years of age? Welcome to the Army, Paragon. You're now assigned to protecting the President. Problem solved. Have a nice day. Aint Selective Service grand?

Are you an American citizen? Are you over 18 years of age? Welcome to the Army' date=' Paragon. You're now assigned to protecting the President. Problem solved. Have a nice day. Aint Selective Service grand?[/quote']

Since there is currently no draft in America that would require an Act of Congress.

Presidential assassination would make little sense for most super villians, with the amount of rare power they wield, the person in office is of no consequence. It would almost certainly have to be a "for hire" job. But if it was a for hire job, then it would make more sense to use a "mortal" assassin, who could easily be disposed of later, than it would be to employ a superkiller who could rat you out later.

Unless of course the villian is aiming for the office of the presidency themself, which would make sense until you thought about it. A villian who wanted the presidency would likely want the whole world. Being president of America is not the best route to that, not with limited power, term limitations, and the ability to be impeached, and the American media, and the current "rights" of the American people.

A Villian would do much better to start of in a country that would not limit his power as ruler.

Are you an American citizen? Are you over 18 years of age? Welcome to the Army' date=' Paragon. You're now assigned to protecting the President. Problem solved. Have a nice day. Aint Selective Service grand?[/quote']

Even if there was a draft, if you're old enough to be President (35), then you are too old to be drafted.

Plus, Paragon was already drafted before he had superpowers. He served out his time and was honorably discharged after Vietnam. Laws probably prevent re-drafting the same person after so much time had passed.

To say nothing of the fact that the President has more than enough resources to keep himself protected' date=' not the least being putting Paragon on protective detail.[/quote']

Paragon will resign from PRIMUS before announcing his candidacy. PRIMUS is part of the Dept. of Justice, like the FBI, not a military organization - Paragon can't be forced onto protective detail.

Superpowers have only been around for 4 years. The "resources" to guarantee the President can't be mind controlled don't exist. Crude technological measures have been developed to protect the White House and other key government buildings, but the devices aren't portable.

Not many Secret Service agents have mental powers. Some psionics may have applied for jobs, but these people are fairly new hires. Does the President really want some new Secret Service agent inside his head? Only a *top* agent would be trusted, and there aren't any of them with psionic powers. Considering no portable psionic shielding, and no experienced psionic agents, the President's mental protection probably works like this:

Inexperienced agents are limited to checking the crowd for active use of mental powers. They are not allowed to pry into the President's brain, though. Periodically, a larger team of psionic agents checks the President. Half the team checks the President for mind control, while the 2nd half makes sure the 1st half isn't doing anything wrong.

This level of "paranoia" regarding mind control would be prudent.

Additionally, the Secret Service doesn't discuss their security procedures. They would probably be even more secretive about their mental protection. Paragon helped develop some of those procedures, and he knows they are far from perfect. Paragon is legally and ethically prohibited from discussing details, but he can try "Is the President truly safe from mental domination? I've fought evil mentalists and won!" while on the campaign trail.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Which is not hard to do since "there is no way to protect the President otherwise."

Or even by doing so.

1) Paragon is already protecting him; he doesn't think it's enough.

2) Paragon can't share his invulnerability completely.

3) Paragon has some degree of resistence to mentalism (I think), which is something completely unshareable.

So, it would be trampling his rights, killing his motivation AND not achieve anything.

Good plan. You know, you'd make a fine president...

Plus' date=' Paragon was already drafted before he had superpowers. He served out his time and was honorably discharged after Vietnam. Laws probably prevent re-drafting the same person after so much time had passed.[/quote']

That actually works against him. He can be called back to duty.

"Another law, passed in 1983, authorizes the president to suspend the retirement or discharge of anyone in the armed forces who is 'essential to the national security.'"

Paragon will resign from PRIMUS before announcing his candidacy. PRIMUS is part of the Dept. of Justice, like the FBI, not a military organization - Paragon can't be forced onto protective detail.

Suddenly, Paragon is not much of a Paragon. "Wah, I don't want to protect the President. I quit this stupid job!"

Essentially, his running platform is worthless and will serve only to get him (and others) assigned to Presidential protection. He's going to need a LOT more than threats and fearmongering - which is what he's doing, claiming the President is only safe if HE is President.

So' date=' it would be trampling his rights[/quote']

No, it wouldn't. It's his civic duty.

killing his motivation

His political motivation? Or his motivation to protect the office of the President? The former, how? There is none. The latter, no.

not achieve anything.

Aside from protecting the President. Which is Paragon's entire friggin' platform and the basis for his fearmongering "the President is in danger".

Good plan. You know, you'd make a fine president...

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable insulting me elsewhere before I get this thread locked by responding to you in my stereotypical, American way?

Guest WhammeWhamme

No, it wouldn't. It's his civic duty.

To spend all his time trying to protect the president who decided to essentially legally enslave him for NO GOOD REASON?

(Being as how Paragon has been protecting the President, and doesn't think he can do a good enough job...)

His political motivation? Or his motivation to protect the office of the President? The former, how? There is none. The latter, no.

Being forcibly conscripted is a motivator?

I really don't see how conscripting a superpowered bodyguard is in the slightest bit a good idea.

Aside from protecting the President. Which is Paragon's entire friggin' platform and the basis for his fearmongering "the President is in danger".

But he can't. Paragon is safe, but he can't guarantee a normal human being would be. That's _why_ he decided to run for office; he realized that he can't jump on every (metaphorical) bullet... so he thinks he should be a placeholder until (at the very least) there's a portable mental shield... or a reliable corp of mentalists... neither of which he can take the place of. (So, I repeat, forcing him to be the bodyguard makes the President no safer...)

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable insulting me elsewhere before I get this thread locked by responding to you in my stereotypical, American way?

Interestingly, the view you are expousing the opposite of the American Stereotype.

Okay, I'm being antagonistic (somewhat). Please read 'you'd make a fine president' as the true (sark now removed) meaning: 'a president acting in the manner you suggest would be making problems for himself, not solving them'.

Comments welcome. Any holes in my idea? How might the sitting President's campaign respond? Do you think the world would change with a superpowered President?

He's using the real world politicians, I'm assuming the world is similar to real world in many regards with a recent introduction of super powered beings, and he asked for comments or the pointing out of holes concerning the idea.

I responded to the thread starter with possible impacts on the idea.

If you want to discuss changes to laws, new laws, or new political angles to a super powered world, fine. However, personal opinions about politics, laws, and so forth belong elsewhere. Slamming someone over answering the question, on topic, because you don't agree with the morality of it is definitely out of line. There are numerous political soapboxes out there you can participate in. The Champions board isn't one of them.

To spend all his time trying to protect the president who decided to essentially legally enslave him for NO GOOD REASON?

(Being as how Paragon has been protecting the President, and doesn't think he can do a good enough job...)

I read that Paragon's motivation is that he's not always there to do that job. This eliminates that problem. Those in power might very well consider this a workable solution without surrendering the country to someone who's not a member of their political party or is likely to make changes that impact them and their supporters.

Being forcibly conscripted is a motivator?

I really don't see how conscripting a superpowered bodyguard is in the slightest bit a good idea.

You said it eliminates his motivation. His motivation, as described, is to protect the President and he is seeking office so that the President is safe from super-powered threats. Conscripting him and assigning him this duty in no way eliminates his motivation, what it does do is focus him on the task he is so concerned about.

If he truly is a mom, country, and apple pie Paragon and concerned about his rep as an American icon he's going to be looking at quite a bumpy road if he decides that he's going to spite the system by carrying out his duty in a sub-par manner.

Most soliders don't want to go to the wars they are sent to. People called to Jury duty almost never want to go to that (and often go to quite some unusual lengths to get out of it). Avoiding civic duty is a criminal offense, however. In Paragon's case, he's an ex-military man. Upon signing up, he agreed (or was forced to agree via draft or selective service registration at 18) that he could be called back if deemed necessary by those in power. All American males face this and, luckily, most of us do not have unique abilities that make us targets for this.

When this highly trusted indivudal starts a campaign that says his powers are the only way to protect the President and if the powers that be agree... ding. He's tapped for it. He'll protect the President. That's thought #1. "Let's make him President" isn't even going to enter their minds.

What person or people are going to rationally decide that "the best way to protect me, as a person of power, is to put me out of a job, out of power and replace me?"

But he can't. Paragon is safe, but he can't guarantee a normal human being would be. That's _why_ he decided to run for office; he realized that he can't jump on every (metaphorical) bullet... so he thinks he should be a placeholder until (at the very least) there's a portable mental shield... or a reliable corp of mentalists... neither of which he can take the place of. (So, I repeat, forcing him to be the bodyguard makes the President no safer...)

Presidents don't have such power. No matter how good a President he might be, these same mental threats can influence everybody else and render his resistance moot. They would cancel each other out as he gets nothing done and they get nothing done. That means the primary use is that he's harder to kill. Since Presidents don't walk around in heavy armor and undergo rigorous combat training and such, I would say that the system, itself, is quite satisfied with the idea of an elite bodyguard program.

His "the only way to keep the President safe" angle would work against him moreso than for him. It's fearmongering. It's saying that only super tough guys who claim to be resistant to mental influences are fit to rule. It's no longer government "by the people" but by the ubermensch. The parties and politicans aren't going to favor this. They aren't going to favor seeing each and every one of their offices becoming vulnerable to takeover by superpowered beings who can step up and say "I should be the Governor of New York. I can't be killed like that other guy."

These are things to consider in a campaign. I might have gotten the wrong idea of the campaign, if it's a real silver age style... it's all a non issue. I've concluded it must be more realistic with the recent intro of supers and the use of real world politicians (and assumedly, their politics and all it entails).

Interestingly, the view you are expousing the opposite of the American Stereotype.

My response was most definitely of the cowboy variety before I deleted it :)

Okay, I'm being antagonistic (somewhat). Please read 'you'd make a fine president' as the true (sark now removed) meaning: 'a president acting in the manner you suggest would be making problems for himself, not solving them'.

The question is, how realistic is the campaign? You can't believe those in power are going to roll over so easily when everything is at stake. The money, the power, their careers, etc. If Paragon is truly a beacon of light, hope, and responsibility... it's not really making a problem. This guy is going to do his best, right?

Anyway, these are things to consider and could be highly applicable to a realistic campaign. They can be used or ignored. Whatever makes a good story and brings the most fun. If there are more interesting stories by making him President, then do that. It's a no brainer. If you're fishing for ideas on what stories could come from this idea... I've just offered some (and also pointed out some legal stuff you might want to change in a super-powered world - I prefer my supers worlds to be closer to the ideal we hold than the reality, myself).

For example, there might be a crew of operatives dedicated to finding out secret ID's for the purpose of a "national security" draft of service. You can't call up "Megaloman" but you can certainly tap "Kent Clarkson." The "good guys" can be more annoying than the bad guys sometimes :)

Okay, I've waited for the flames to clear before posting. Play nice, guys :)

Paragon has been working to protect the President. Drafting him wouldn't increase the President's protection. Drafting him *after* he announces his candidacy would be seen by voters as an attempt to unfairly influence the election.

For a real-world comparison, imagine the backlash if Bush forced Kerry back into active military service - if Paragon had to drop his Presidential bid as a result, virtually every one if his supporters would vote for Kerry, and many tentative Bush voters would change to Kerry, too. Bush would guarantee Kerry the election by drafting Paragon. Note that I'm not sure if there are any real-world legal limits to the President's power to recall someone who's been retired for 30 years, but the political backlash would be great enough to make it a moot issue in my game.

Paragon is not a single issue candidate. The "vote for me because I have superdefenses" angle is why Paragon decided to run, but he has opinions on all the other issues. I'm not looking to bog my game down with politics, but suffice it to say that his ideas are mainstream enough to give him a shot at the election.

Paragon is resistant to mental powers, but he isn't a mentalist and cannot protect others. Paragon fears an America controlled by a villain, and his personal opinion that the best way to prevent that is to get elected. To him, that's the most important issue, but not the only one.