Superman for President?

DoctorItron

This GM wants some feedback from y'all.

Superpowers are fairly new in my game world. The Secret Service has developed some countermeasures to protect the President (of the United States), but they still have a lot of catching up to do.

Paragon, the Assistant Director of PRIMUS in my campaign, is a scaled-down Superman homage. He is strong, tough, capable of flight, respected by the public, ethical, etc. He has already saved the President from supervillains on multiple occasions. Paragon knows that he can't always be there, though. There's an unacceptable risk that a supervillain will manage to kill the President, causing all sorts of turmoil.

Paragon has gotten the bright (or maybe not-so-bright) idea to run for the office himself. "Vote for me, since the villains can't kill me. And I'm pretty resistant to mind-control, too." Paragon knows he can't have a one-dimensional campaign and will take a stand on the usual political issues. His main goal, though, is to make changes (develop technology, modify laws) so that the next President doesn't have to be superpowered to avoid getting pulped by supervillains.

Comments welcome. Any holes in my idea? How might the sitting President's campaign respond? Do you think the world would change with a superpowered President?

Re: Superman for President?

Assassination attempts on Paragon, lots of them. Even if you're not running an anti-supers hysteria campaign, huge numbers of people will be terified of a Superhuman president, even if others like the idea. Lots of insinuations by the oposition that "He isn't even Human" and "Who does he really work for?" Crazy conspiracy theorists crawling out of the woodwork. Remember the lunatics who claimed that Clinton was a serial rapist and had aranged a half dozen deaths, and Moores claims that Bush is somehow in league with the Bin Laden family? Expect far worse than that in a world with real Superhumans and real meta-conspiracies. At the same time, he should get lots of support, depending on how he reacts to the lies and attacks on his war reccord, political affiliations, sexual orientation, and everything else.

In other words, great RPing material here. :)

I hope your version of Superman is smarter than a block of rotted wood (unlike the Superman we knew and loved and grew up with, you know the one who was punk'd pretty much every espiode by the Legion of Doom) :)

But hey the guys we got running now arent all that much smarter. :stupid:

I could see it now... :sneaky:

I am the President of the United States and I support this statement.

Who is Paragon? The dictionary says that paragon is a model of excellence or perfection. But who is this person? There are no records of Paragon. He hides from the truth behind something he likes to call a "secret identity". Is he human? Is he an American citizen? What is his true agenda?

Paragon wants to change the America that you and I have grown up with. He approves using untested and dangerous technologies to protect the president. Technologies developed overseas and not in America.

He wants to change laws to crack down on those using superpowers like Billy here. Billy is like everyone else, except he has a 3-foot mutant tongue. Paragon doesn't like people like Billy. In his mind, people like Billy threatens America because of his unusual, but God-given gift. We may never understand why God gave Billy a 3-foot mutant tongue, especially when he's so close to a nuclear power plant, but we do not question His infinite wisdom.

In the next election, vote to stop elitist propraganda, vote against Paragon. And let's show America what a real model of excellence is... for everybody.

Hmm If he isn't eligible to be president and REALLY wants to be president might that not cause complications ? Can't he get naturalised and marry a nice girl like Arnold Schwarzzawatsis ? Would that make him eligible ?

No. The Constitution requires that the President be at least 35 years old, and born in the U.S.

I heartily recommend deus ex from wild storm its the story of a New York public servant who is the first superhuman first he tries out the whole super hero gig but its more trouble than its worth so he runs for office instead and becomes mayor of new York.

Being president is no fun no one would want to be president when they can be a super hero unless you make being a superhero suck

Does paragon have any qualifications other than superpowers to be president any public service at all does he understand politics does he have good social skills and a gift for oratory otherwise has going to get mauled.

While my opponent was floating about the place causing millions of dollars of property damage, I was a dedicated public servant on the superhuman affairs committee working to steady our economy after the disastrous alien invasion 1999.

While my opponent was filling our prisons to capacity, I was working on legislation to reduce the numbers of repeat offenders.

While my opponent was off illegally destabilizing the sovereign nation of Elbonia in some alternate dimension following the dimensional quake incident I was on the ground organizing relief work and rebuilding efforts right here.

Realistically there are only a few superheroes that could run for office

Captain America could certainly do it veteran excellent orator respected worldwide. And wealthy supporters

Bat man could maybe do it I mean he’s qualified in terms of wealth prestige and charitable works I think the whole no mans land thing would work to his favor but his lack of perceived public service and his fake idiot playboy image wouldn’t work to his advantage plus someone might twig his identity when they had to do the presidential medical and all the trauma was obvious. Would he want to do it anyway?

I can’t really think of anyone else

And back in the Silver Age, Cap was offered a third-party Presidential nomination. He declined.

My favorite story in this vein, however, is the "Armageddon 2001" annual about the alternate future where Superman *did* become President of the US.

The short version: in the alternate timeline, Senator Pete Ross -- this was before the 'Cabal' storyline, where he was disgraced -- ran for President, and Clark Kent was his campaign manager. A nut at a rally tried to take out Ross with an Uzi, and Clark, who was backstage at the time, had to zip out at full superspeed and block the second burst with his chest... on camera. His secret ID was totally imploded.

Pete had been severely wounded by the initial burst, and couldn't continue on with the campaign. So, since Clark Kent had been an integral part of the campaign since day one, and had just been publicly revealed to be Superman (aka "He of the 99.9+% favorable poll numbers") anyway... well, from his hospital bed, Pete begged Clark to carry on.

He won in a landslide, of course.

Oh, and -- remember, this was when 'Man of Steel' had yet to be retconned away -- I loved how they handled the 'natural born citizen' issue.

Superman's eligibliity was challenged, and the case was appealed all the way to the Supreme Court straight off. And the Supreme Court ruled:

* The ship that carried Superman from Krypton was an artificial womb (which, indeed, it was.)

* Superman was an 'in vitro' baby who had been artificially gestated in an artificial womb, and had never actually been inside his genetic mother (which also was true in the Byrne version)

* Therefore, the legal 'birthplace' of Superman would be the location where he was first removed from the artificial womb in which he was gestated...

... which was, of course, Smallville, Kansas. :)

In the comic, they had the Daily Planet's headline the next day after the court decision reading "BORN IN THE U.S.A.!" in what looked like 80-point type. :)

Other amusing bits from that issue:

* Lex Luthor finally going to jail -- for forgetting that his usual "Damn it, I will see Superman dead if it's the last thing I do!" rants were perfectly (well, mostly) legal *last* year, but *this* year, they counted as 'conspiracy to assassinate the President of the United States'. The sight of the Secret Service kicking in his door and hauling him away in handcuffs was beautiful.

* Superman's handling of a terrorist incident in the Middle East, where a US consulate had been invaded and the ambassador taken hostage:

Day 1 -- 'The President has issued a statement to the terrorists. It basically boiled down to 'Let him go, all right? Don't make have to come over there.'

Day 1.5 -- 'At the top of the hour, the headline is -- today, President Kent personally rescued the US ambassador from terrorists in...'

Seriously, it was like the entire US Armed Forces took an 8-year vacation. And, of course, the Secret Service's sole job was guaridng the First Lady and Ma and Pa Kent -- President Kent didn't *need* the help. :)

It seems like a forgot to mention a few things in my original post:

1) Paragon was born in the United States, so he meets the naturalized citizen requirement. He's not an alien like Superman.

2) As soon as he formally announces his run for office, he gives up the Secret ID. He knows the public wouldn't elect someone who uses an alias.

3) His secret ID has held local political offices. He held a City Council seat (1 of 5 in NYC) when he developed superpowers on Jan 1 2000.

4) As Paragon, he did the standard superhero thing for a while before helping to create PRIMUS. He's familar with Washington DC, but certainly not an insider.

Hmm still no high office and no contacts that would make things harder for him of course endorsements from a number of national superheroes might be a big boost I think his big advantage would be that he could save on advertising because he will get a lot of press coverage

Any ideas about a platform I think tough on super crime but a programmed to decrease recidivism increased police and fire department resources as well as greater emergency resource funds. Sound economic policy based around less corruption and graft. Military spending organized around a reorganization of the military to combat the asynchronous threats of the modern meta human battlefield.

Call it something a campaign for a new golden age or vote paragon and help make every Americans life super.

drat out of time edit when i get home

The first step for running for President is to run for governor. :)

Seriously. If Ah-nuld and Jesse Ventura can get elected on celebrity alone (as well as having a reasonably coherent political platform), then so can Paragon. Move to a state where the incumbent governor is a complete moron that nobody likes, provided he doesn't already live in one, run for governor, and don't screw up your first 1-2 terms in office.

Then run for President.

I suspect the opposition would try something like this...

Announcer: This Ad paid for by the Justice Squad Members for Truth

Masked Man 1: I fought crime with Paragon

Masked Man 2: I fought crime with Paragon

Masked Woman: I fought crime with Paragon

1: Paragon claims that he saved the President's life by jumping in front of a bullet.

2: I know there was no bullet, because I was there. Plus I have super hearing.

Woman: Paragon doesn't know how to keep his hands to himself...

1: When the chips were down, you just couldn't count on Paragon

2: Paragon is no Paragon

Woman: Tell Paragon to keep his hands off America's good bits...

"Hi, I am conducting an independant poll regarding the election, can you spend five minutes answering a few questions? Thank you. Now if you knew that Paragon was radioactive, and caused spontaneous cancers to form in anyone in a one mile radius from him, would you be more or less likely to vote for him?"

Guest WhammeWhamme

The first step for running for President is to run for governor. :)

Seriously. If Ah-nuld and Jesse Ventura can get elected on celebrity alone (as well as having a reasonably coherent political platform), then so can Paragon. Move to a state where the incumbent governor is a complete moron that nobody likes, provided he doesn't already live in one, run for governor, and don't screw up your first 1-2 terms in office.

Then run for President.

In general, this is good advice.

In this particular case, he's running just so no-one gets killed. Waiting isn't an option... if he waits, he won't need to.

Now, my personal 2c:

This is for a game, so it doesn't have to be completely realistic, etc. The challenges just need to be plausible. And preferably, Supervillain based.

So. Expecting THAT kind of trouble, run on 'tough on supercrime' angle... and be ready to single-handedly stop a supercrime designed to derail you campaign.

Also, possible keynote speech: "I fight to protect the people of this great nation. With my body, in patrolling. With my mind; PRIMUS. And now, I dedicate my ideals and my future to creating a world where the danger posed by my fellow metahumans is reduced, and all of us can live together without fear..."

Or something like that.

Okay, that was more than 2c. I want change!

I suspect the opposition would try something like this...

Paragon's opposition is Bush and Kerry.

Bush's campaign couldn't really try something like this, because he's already praised Paragon too many times. Bush has used the assassination attempts to further his political agenda. If Bush suddenly claimed the assassination attempts were faked, he'd drag himself into the conspiracy.

Kerry would have fewer problems claiming Paragon's faked things. However, as there's zero evidence to support such claims, only people who are already firm Kerry believers would give it much credence.

Paragon somewhere between Kerry and Bush on most issues. The main wild card in the election is Paragon's "supervillains can't currently be stopped by the Secret Service, so you need a superhero in office" message.

The best attack of his opponents on this one is to point out that if the President has to be on the front lines all the time, nobody will be getting the work done in the Oval Office. And that's a full-time job.

i.e. -- unless you have Superman's superspeed, you cannot both be the President and be a superhero.

For an RPG reference, there's 'Aberrant' -- in the 2008 Presidential election, one of the candidates was Randall "Fireman" Portman, the first nova to erupt on-camera and a widely-known hero with near-bulletproof approval ratings. A genuinely decent man.

Most of his opponents (it was a race where the 3rd-parties had an actual chance of winning, so there were more than two) went the 'fear and smear' route, trying to dig up dirt on him, play on anti-methuman bigotry, etc, etc.

But the most successful attack was run by the incumbent, and it was actually a praise ad: shots of Portman saving people from burning buildings, shots of him laying the beatdown on rampaging supercrooks, and, of course, his most famous picture ever, his eruption.

And then the end caption -- "If America gains a President -- do we lose the Fireman?"

... IIRC, Portman squeaked through to victory by a margin so narrow it made Bush vs. Gore look like Reagan vs. Mondale.

Paragon somewhere between Kerry and Bush on most issues. The main wild card in the election is Paragon's "supervillains can't currently be stopped by the Secret Service, so you need a superhero in office" message.

Easy fix, if that is only real platform. They put him, or some other high powered guy, on the secret service.

Or the other candidates may agree to address his issue, if he supports them.

As nobody has touched on it, there are other problems besides just declaring you can do a better job than the other guys running (anyone could)

~you need a lot of money, and it usually comes with strings attached. If you finance yourself, that makes you a vulnerable to attacks, of "buying" the office

~You need to get on the Ballot in the majority of the states, you need to win. Thats how 3rd party candidates are usually stopped...no national structure.

~Once in, you need to appoint several thousand people to the top jobs, hopefully they are people you can trust.

Anyway, if you want tohe guy to have th job, let him. Just rember, it might get boring him sitting in cabinet meetings every day.

Paragon's opposition is Bush and Kerry.

Bush's campaign couldn't really try something like this, because he's already praised Paragon too many times. Bush has used the assassination attempts to further his political agenda. If Bush suddenly claimed the assassination attempts were faked, he'd drag himself into the conspiracy.

Kerry would have fewer problems claiming Paragon's faked things. However, as there's zero evidence to support such claims, only people who are already firm Kerry believers would give it much credence.

Here is a dirty trick that makes for plenty of role playing. Have VIPER (or whoever) attack him at every campaign stop. Both Kerry and Bush can rightly claim that, as a superpowered president, he would just attract bigger villains, and invite more danger to civilians...

You guys actually use Bush and Kerry in your campaigns? Egad' date=' I have always used fictional politicians.[/quote']

This is actually the first time I've tried doing this. Most superhero campaigns assume superheroes have been around "forever". This campaign has the first public recognition of supers starting on Jan 1 2000. The world prior to that is pretty much identical to real-world history.

The most notable exceptions are that VIPER already existed as a criminal cartel, and there's some evidence to suggest magic was real thousands of years ago, somehow faded away, then came back as hundreds of people gained superpowers for no known reason on Jan 1 2000.