NPC Names

Super Squirrel

Re: NPC Names

Personally, I just use the phone book if I'm looking for American names. I randomly open to a couple of pages, randomly point, find a last name, then do the same for a first name. If I don't find one I like on the first try, I try until I do.

For ethnic/international names, I go to websites and do the same mix-and-match. If I want a Latino name, for example, I might go to Google and look up "Guatemalan Government". If I want a Japanese name, I do the same with "Japanese Government". There are also online sites with lists of common names for various ethnic groups. I don't have any bookmarked because they're only a Google away.

I used to go to quite a few high school graduations. I would keep the programs and in a pinch open one up at random for a name. Now a days I just make names up off the top of my head. One of my most enduring NPC's was a product of that and I still have no idea of what possessed me to name that halfling Nepotamus Bisamark.

I've never found a good name generator I have liked. Anyone have one that they prefer?

I've made a couple of random name generators myself and I'm really tempted to go and make a new one again but I'd rather see if someone has something already first.

Try this.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~pound/

Keith "Mr. Namey-Guy*" Curtis

*Yeah, I know, it's weak. You try coming up with over 3,000 of these things...

For NPC names on the fly, my younger brother uses this method when he GMs:

Take the first name of a random celebrity and the last name of another random celebrity.

Example:

Steven Tyler and Harrison Ford: Steven Ford.

Carrie-Anne Moss and Ashley Simpson: Carrie-Anne Simpson.

Edward Furlong and Jack Nicholson: Edward Nicholson.

It works.

Mags

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up throwing together a real quick one. It has the potential to be better but right now I'm feeling kind of lazy.

Version 0.01 has 10,000 permutations.

http://www.winds.org/~arren/troy/name.php

You are obviously an infiltrator from another game company. What have you done with the real SuperSquirrel?

Garrett Scott

Robert Walker

Christian Allen

Phillip Wilson

Kevin Wright

Garrett Lee

Steven Jackson

Cory Scott

Victor King

Brandon Roberts