Fate systems

JmOz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fate systems

RDU Neil has a chip system he talks about in one of his threads...try searching the Champs forum or contacting him...

I've considered adding something like a Karma system in - give out Karma points in addition to XP, and can use them for various things - rerolls, etc. Could be a good way to reward players without escalating characters quickly, and allows players to help get themselves out of tight spots without a GM having to fudge too much for them - "Oh geez, he rolled 28 Body and a 6 for Stun mod on that shot? I'm spending Karma to make him reroll that!" etc.

Affect the die rules (I presume you mean die rolling results) in what way?

It is based on one of the options for luck, (Count Body, number of rerolls), with some extra bits added on

Unluck gives extra luck to enemies

+2 to a single roll (3d6 type rolls only)

Free REC

+Rec in Normal Defence

Change enviroment (May cost more than one Luck point)

+2 Lightning Reflex

Note: Only people with luck gets any benefit from the system

Note 2: The team leader rolls for Unlucky villains and may use there luck points for any team member

Create a pot of chips with the following distribution:

50 white

25 red

10 blue

3 Draws/session

white = 1 pt

red = 2 pts / GM draw

blue = 2 pts

crit success is less than effective skill/2 or nat 3

crit failure is failure by 7+ or nat. 18

A maximum of 5 points can be spent at once. Notice that there are no soak rules. However, since a Dive For Cover maneuver is a roll, and a crit success can get you almost anywhere, you can probably avoid damage in that fashion.

FATE

1 point

• failure to success/success to failure
  • 1 pt of LUCK (see Luck power)
  • 1 pt Favor

2 points

• crit to non-crit
  • success to crit success
  • failure to crit failure
  • 2 pts of LUCK
  • 2 pt Favor

+1 point

• affect enemy
  • extreme odds on success conversion (less than 8- chance of success)
  • +1 LUCK
  • +1 pt of Favor

These are also your XP. Bonus draws will be awarded on completion of a mission, as well as a reward for creative play and in character humor. XP: Red/White are worth 1 pt, Blue are worth 2. Chips can only be turned in after the session ends in which they are awarded.

Upon completion of a particularly heroic/epic mission/adventure, a legend chip should be put in the pot. This is worth 3 pts on its own, both for XP and fate. When used there is a 50% chance that it is gone forever. You can have more than 1 legend chip.

Some other extensions/synergies based on these rules:

1. Pick your location for 1 pt. This is basically the assumption that if you take the location penalty you can spend a white chip to hit it unless you fail miserably. Instead of slowing the game down, if a character hits/succeeds let them spend a chip and hit the location they want.

2. Don't allow soak. HERO already has rules for Roll With Blow and Dive For Cover... that's how they should be used. It results in a far more cinematic play of chips than "I take no damage", and stresses these abilities that already exist in the system.

Warnings

This system scews fate but can create very memorable scenes that normally would not happen. As an example, last night there was a floating sorcerer with vampire like immunities (a real morbane-powered bad-@$$). One of the characters pulled a stake and lept after him. Since the sorcerer wasn't really expecting such an affront, and the parley that had occured just moments before, I asked for Stealth vs. PER to determine surprise. The character lost, but spent a white chip to succeed, making a surprise attack on the sorcerer. This allowed him to grab and stab (multiple power attack) the sorcerer in the heart. Tough nut that he is, the sorcer wasn't killed, but was stunned. Another character in the group seeing his opportunity (and the fact that the sorcerer had his DNPCs hostage), ran, leapt in the air and said he was using his sledgehammer (big guy) to pound the stake further in. I told him it was -10 OCV to hit the stake specifically (already embedded in the vitals) and the sorcerer was at DCV 4. He had a 6 or less to hit, rolling an 8. He spends not only a white to succeed but a blue to make it a crit, doing max damage. I rule the stake is already past the sorcerers armor and takes full damage. Dust (but is he really dead, hmmmm). Anyway, the players cheered and fun was had by all.

Will this happen all the time? Unlikely. 1st, the rarity of blue chips and 2nd, that was 3 XP. some characters will hoard their chips, spending them on abilities while others will only spend a few points here and there on abilities using them in play. Regardless, it's a lot of fun and if that's what you are looking for then I can recommend it.

I like combining XP with the Chips as it makes people understand their value better. It's also easy to go, "That was a great idea," or "Man that was a great soliloquy," and give them a chip draw. Mucho fun.

For fantasy, especially our setting, we have a variant of this that is very much in context. It will be part of the published setting and certainly applicable in other settings.

Scott Bennie recently posted his Luck Pool system and Luck-based Talents, greatly expanding on the optional uses for Luck dice given in FREd.

For something more freeform and closer to the "fate" mechanics in other games, I'd suggest checking out the optional Action Points! for Armless Tiger Man's pulp campaign, "Thrilling True Tales." You can also see a direct adaption of Inspiration Points and Dramatic Editing from White Wolf's Adventure! game into HERO System.

RDU Neil has a chip system he talks about in one of his threads...try searching the Champs forum or contacting him...

I've considered adding something like a Karma system in - give out Karma points in addition to XP, and can use them for various things - rerolls, etc. Could be a good way to reward players without escalating characters quickly, and allows players to help get themselves out of tight spots without a GM having to fudge too much for them - "Oh geez, he rolled 28 Body and a 6 for Stun mod on that shot? I'm spending Karma to make him reroll that!" etc.

As SS said... here is my Luck Chit system w/explanation, as edited by a board member who liked it.

House Rules : Luck Chits

At the beginning of each session the Players draw randomly one Luck Chit from the Bag . Player Characters with the Luck Power randomly draw an additional Luck Chit for every d6 of Luck they have purchased.

At the End of each session all Players return any unspent Luck Chits to the Bag . Sometimes you want Quantity, sometimes Quality. The Luck Chits go away at the end of the game, no carry over. Use 'em or lose 'em... which encourages interactive use and not hording .

White Luck Chits : x 30 [ 1W = 1W ] Lowest level chit. Allows a Reroll of any one roll you control . Or allows an Abort Maneuver ( to Dodge , Block , Dive for Cover , etc … ) without using an Action . It also allows a single Recovery , without using an Action . It also allows Players to modify the Hit Location Chart ( Defensively ) and move the hit location by One ( up or down ) .

Green Luck Chits : x 30 [ 1G = 2W ] Mid Level chit. Same as all of the White abilities, plus you can spend a Green to take away a single die in a "to hit" or "skill" roll, to gain a success . Rolled a 15... spend a green , take away that 6, now you have a 9! Success! (the GM randomly draws a chit for the villains, if you spend a Green .) It also allows Players to modify the Hit Location Chart ( Defensively ) and move the hit location by Two ( up or down ) .

Blue Luck Chits : x 30 [ 1B = 3W or 1G & 1W ] Same as all of Green abilities, without any benefit to GM. Blue is also a way to "flex" powers in a supers game. It allows a power to be used in a way that fits the SFX, but without having paid points for a specific power/effect. [ Ex: Flame character... wants to reduce the fire in a room to save a child... but doesn't have the power Suppress or Change Enviornment or anything like that. Spends a Blue for this one action, his EB - Fireblast (or whatever) becomes Suppress normal fires, and he can do it ]

Blue also allows for "dramatic editing" so that the character can simply say, "I grab the broom handle and snap it off, so I have a stake to fight the vampire!" rather than asking, "Is there anything wooded around?" In the case I highlighted in the last Secret Worlds adventure... on PC was way out of the combat, and spent the Blue to come up with a creative way to get his character there "right now!" . It also allows Players to modify the

Hit Location Chart ( Defensively and Offensively ) and move the hit location by Three ( up or down ) .

Yellow Luck Chit : x 1 [ 1Y = 2B or 3G or 6W ] There is only one in the bag , but if drawn, the player can become GM for a scene. They get to create and event or subplot or something along those lines, that fits with their character concept and long term goals. I've had one person spend it so his character finally got his Thesis on Paranormal Gestation Theory published, and to wide acclaim, so he became famous in those circles as THE expert on metahuman bio-genesis.

Another spent it, so that during a mission, he accidentally stumbled across some critical information about villain financing... this changed the entire SHAPE of the campaign, as the villains funding was exposed, and they had to come out of the shadows, rather than manipulate from behind the scenes.

The Yellow Luck Chit is usually just one "scene" or "event" The players don't tend to really run the game in terms of controlling NPCs.. they just say, "Ok... here's this cool thing that I want to have happen, with this or that character..." They often don't force a certain outcome, they just want to have something that really shows off their character, or allows their character to have a really big impact on the plot. ( I guess it could be abused, but I've got great players. They tend to enhance the story and the world... not control it. )

Luck Power : [ each d6 Luck = 1 Luck Chit ] Drawn randomly and still allows the Player Characters to use the Luck Power as written in HERO System 5th Edition .

Translation of shorthand ; x 30 - means there are 30 of that color chits in a bag . As for this one [ 1Y = 2B or 3G or 6W ] 1 Yellow Chit is worth 2 Blue Chits or 3 Green Chits or 6 White Chits . Hope that clears it up .

It's a great system ... players seem to really love it ... and it gives flexibility within limits. I've been doing it for probably 6 years or more at this point. I'd never go back. .

I'd created a generic "luck roll" to help determine random events. Roll 3d6... sixes good, ones bad. So if a player asks something like, "I need a rock to throw at the wild dogs making off with the baby!" I'd say, "Roll a luck roll," to determine if there just happened to be a rock around. Good luck, there is a perfect throwing rock, right at your feet. Bad luck... no rock to be found. Neither/nor... there is a rock, but it's 20 feet away, and will take a turn to get it.

That kind of thing. Luck ( the Talent back then, now a Power ) allowed characters to roll an extra die for each luck die they had... and that die could only be good for them (ones didn't count . )

This worked pretty well, but for years there was a need to open up Champs/HERO System, to allow some flexibility with powers and give players a little more control over their characters destiny and story .

Then I played Deadlands. (Original Deadlands, when it first came out.) They had chips (poker chips) that you could spend to soak wounds, or make rolls better, or whatever. It was a great mechanic. After only one session, I realized that this was a way to make Luck in Hero very viable .

Any questions and I'd be happy to answer them. It works insanely well, IMO, allowing free form players and tactical players to both utilize the system to get what they want out of the game. This narrowly beats out abandoning the Speed Chart for initiative as the best change I've made in using Hero for my games.

The players in my DC game are Deadlands nuts, and slowly coming to have a lot of fun with HERO. I really like fate systems, and have always like the Deadlands system, but I do not like soak. I think this is a great way to handle both XP and fate.

I like a lot of what you have posted RDU, and may blend it with mine. Thanks for sharing.

I've used an adaptation of the MEGS Hero Point system for several of the games I've run.

Instead of giving out Experience Points, I distribute Hero Points. 10 HPs can be exchanged for 1 EP at any time. This alone has several benefits in that I can set rewards for specific actions or positive play in smaller increments than an entire Experience Point.

A player who is present at the game, and only a player character whose player is physically present, can use 1 HP to re-roll any die roll their character made or that another character made against them. For 2 HP, a character can force a re-roll of any die roll at all, even one that does not relate to their character in any way. For +1 HP, the player may "keep" whichever of the two rolls he prefers; this must be expended before the re-roll is made. A player can re-roll more than once if they care to spend additional HP to do so; if +1 HP is spent, it only must be spent once and the player may choose whichever of the rolls he wishes to "keep".

The "physically present" rule prevents other players from blowing your experience if you miss a game, and encourages attendance. Naturally, it can be dropped or adapted for PBEM or telephone/chat network games. The "player characters only" rule insures that the characters of the players have a central important role and prevents the GM and a player from getting into HP auctions.

In those games where I tried this system, I also adapted the Luck rules. A character with positive Luck rolls his dice, counts the "Stun" pips, and gets to apply that many Hero Points during the adventure (naturally, he does not get to exchange any of these Hero Points for Experience Points). Similarly, Unluck dice are rolled, the "Stun" pips counted, and the GM gets to apply these Hero Points against the character during the course of the adventure. HPs from Luck and Unluck can be expended as an exception to the "player characters only" and "physically present" rules.

Best wishes,

John H

The players in my DC game are Deadlands nuts, and slowly coming to have a lot of fun with HERO. I really like fate systems, and have always like the Deadlands system, but I do not like soak. I think this is a great way to handle both XP and fate.

I like a lot of what you have posted RDU, and may blend it with mine. Thanks for sharing.

The real differnce between your system and mine is how the chits are applied. I tried to have them have concrete effects on the game mechanics (re-roll, subtract a die to hit, use an Abort maneuver, etc.) where you allowed the chits to basically overrule the rules... applying a new rule set for that action/event. Either works... I just love the Hero System "as a system" so much, that I wanted to have Luck/Fate work withIN the system, rather than alter it.

If you've got a group just coming over from Deadlands or another system, then your way can work because the group doesn't have history with, they aren't as invested in, the Hero System.

One question... when you state "failure to success" how does that work? Couldn't players abuse that very easily by doing things like "I shoot the villain's hand so he can't pull the trigger while aiming such that the bullet ricochets off and hits him between the eyes, killing him instantly! Hey! I spend one point and I succeed!"

Yeah, that is extreme, but with the concept of "automatic success" part of the chit rules, I'd think it would lean toward that kind of abuse.

Funny, I like the system to be crunchy tight and then come up with ways to break it. I love the detail of the HERO system and love how easy it is to bend it at the same time.

To answer the bizzarre ricochet question. Is that possible in the standard rules? I'm not sure it is. The actions all have to be possible to succeed. If there is less than an 8- chance of success, the odds are extreme:

+1 Point

extreme odds on success conversion (less than 8- chance of success)

So, that would at a minimum require 2 pts of fate. However, since crit failure is defined as +7 or more, something that has a 3- chance is a crit failure on 10 or better. This would mean the character would have to, 62.5% of the time, spend 2 pts of fate to make the crit failure a regular failure, then 2 pts of fate to make it a success since it is extreme odds. At best then I would rule that the ricochet would hit the unarmored portion of the head, but roll damage normally. If he wanted to do max damage, he would have to spend another 2 pts of fate to make it a crit for max damage. THEN it would have to be a weapon capable of killing the target (i.e. 1d6+1 9mm to an Ogre is unlikely to kill). So, 6 fate points later he turns a crit failure on this trick shot into a crit success, which may or may not kill the target, assuming that such a trick shot could happen. Unfortunately, you cannot spend 5 points, but if you allowed it, either he is spending 6 white chips (2 full sessions worth of chips) or all blues (which means a lot of luck or more than 2 sessions to amass them) or reds (in which case I get some GM chips). With all of that I doubt the player would be into it. 3 pts is about all a player will spend, in most cases.

Theala Sildorian has a copy of Sean Fannon's old Plot Points system over at her site. That has more of a 'karma' feel to it, than 'fate,' but it may be an inspiration to someone.

I have considered using experience points for a similar system, rather than creating an artificial external pool of points for it.

Theala Sildorian has a copy of Sean Fannon's old Plot Points system over at her site. That has more of a 'karma' feel to it, than 'fate,' but it may be an inspiration to someone.

I have considered using experience points for a similar system, rather than creating an artificial external pool of points for it.

I'm against tying EXP to Luck Chits/Fate points, whatever.

It encourages hording... not spending the chits for cool roleplaying, but being very risk averse in order to to have more EXP. That is the ANTITHESIS of what I want in my games. I want Luck Chits to encourage cool, reckless, foolhardy and amazingly neat actions that make everyone go "OOOOOHHHH" I don't want it to benefit the accountant/point horder type.

This can also lead to out-of-balance games. In Deadlands, I played the big tough injun who fought head on and was the protector of the party. I had to spend my chips all the time to stay alive, while the Priest and Huxter and the rest just went up and up and up in EXP. My character never had two EXP to rub together. It sucked.

Finally, I really hate the "extra points for good role playing!" concepts. Good Roleplaying is so subjective. If the players come to the table, put forth effort and work together to tell a good story, I don't want to make a judgement that one person is better than another. If a player isn't pulling their weight, deal with it directly in a coversation... ask 'em to step up, discuss role playing as concept, and then if they don't work out just don't game with 'em, but EXP shouldn't be a reward or punishment. I give out 3 EXP per adventure, no matter what unless it is a Giant SIzed Issue, and then it is 6 EXP. No questions, no arguments, it just happens.

I'm against tying EXP to Luck Chits/Fate points, whatever.

It encourages hording... not spending the chits for cool roleplaying, but being very risk averse in order to to have more EXP. That is the ANTITHESIS of what I want in my games. I want Luck Chits to encourage cool, reckless, foolhardy and amazingly neat actions that make everyone go "OOOOOHHHH" I don't want it to benefit the accountant/point horder type.

I am not sure we are understanding each other. I am not talking about handing out extra "free" experience to players just so they can use this system. All I am doing is giving the players something else on which to spend XP. Something that can allow them to try some more risky things without as much fear of being cut off at the knees because of a bad roll.

As a GM, I think this will allow me to be more true to the system as a whole, without having to "fudge" numbers to keep characters alive as often (yes, I am guilty of this -- it is supposed to be a fun hobby, after all, and it is no fun having your character die early and often). Yes, I am likely to reward players (with XP) who try a gutsy move and succeed over players who take a more safe, less exciting path. The gutsy, creative player has a greater effect on the campaign, and makes the game more enjoyable for everyone.

That being said, I have not tried this system, and it sounds like you have seen something like it in practice. So I cannot say how or if my players will use this system. I am hopeful that it is somewhat dependent upon the styles of the players involved, but I cannot say for sure.

This can also lead to out-of-balance games. In Deadlands' date=' I played the big tough injun who fought head on and was the protector of the party. I had to spend my chips all the time to stay alive, while the Priest and Huxter and the rest just went up and up and up in EXP. My character never had two EXP to rub together. It sucked.[/quote']

That, I can only attribute to player styles, which you have to allow if you are going to use any of these systems. However, taking into account what I said before about my GM style, the players who do not risk as much will not have as great an effect upon the campaign, and may not get as much experience to use as a player who risks much (and uses his experience to help succeed). They may also find that if they choose not to use their experience, things will not go well as often as for the player who does.

Finally' date=' I really hate the "extra points for good role playing!" concepts. Good Roleplaying is so subjective. If the players come to the table, put forth effort and work together to tell a good story, I don't want to make a judgement that one person is better than another. If a player isn't pulling their weight, deal with it directly in a coversation... ask 'em to step up, discuss role playing as concept, and then if they don't work out just don't game with 'em, but EXP shouldn't be a reward or punishment. I give out 3 EXP per adventure, no matter what unless it is a Giant SIzed Issue, and then it is 6 EXP. No questions, no arguments, it just happens.[/quote']

Everyone gets the same experience every game, no matter what they did or didn't do, no matter what effect they have on the overall storyline? I must disagree, here. It seems to me that it doesn't encourage anybody to do better or try harder, and actually discourages some people from trying at all. I have always thought that "those who do more, learn more." And conversely, "those that do less, learn less."

If your approach works for you and your group, more power to you.

I will also respectfully disagree. People's playing styles differ. Those who hoard the chips and spend them on abilities they never risk or use cinematically have a different experience than those who are out in front making a go of it. Hopefully each player is getting what he wants out of the game.

However, let me offer this perspective. I do not award bonus XP for good roleplaying purely subjectively, but also objectively. Players can gain a bonus by playing up their disads in light of the situation, making a witty statement in character, or doing something amazing that everyone at the table is impressed with. I've had players actually say that another player's actions were "chippable". Also, if someone does something extreme because it is the right thing for their character to do, and then actually fails and DOESN'T use a chip, that's worth a chip.

So, the guy that hoards his chips and doesn't do anything is going to get a flat 3 chips per session... and that's his XP. The guy that lives life on the edge burning chips and playing hard will get bonus chips for being the hero and playing up the scene. My hope would be that both players are enjoying themselves. If the hero is a little light on XP, I'll work in in-game bonuses for him (vehicles, bases, contacts, equipment, magic fountains) that reward his play and keep him on par with the other players if that's a problem. Having the chips tied to XP gives them greater meaning than something arbitrary and consistent.

Previous incarnations of fate systems I have used have been more similar to what you propose and separate from XP. I have had the most fun with this system, but that may also just suits my players more than it suits yours. I think keeping them separate has its advantages, and in such a system I would still reward good roleplaying and actions with fate chips, not XP, because I do see the value in keeping characters balanced.

Just another POV.

Scott Bennie recently posted his Luck Pool system and Luck-based Talents, greatly expanding on the optional uses for Luck dice given in FREd.

For something more freeform and closer to the "fate" mechanics in other games, I'd suggest checking out the optional Action Points! for Armless Tiger Man's pulp campaign, "Thrilling True Tales." You can also see a direct adaption of Inspiration Points and Dramatic Editing from White Wolf's Adventure! game into HERO System.

I like the Action Points! They are simple. Even one point is helpful. And they bring a cinematic feel. I like how the uses are labelled by quotes instead of game terms.

I’m trying out a Hero version of Dream And Hope Points from Blue Rose.

Everyone gets 10 points per gaming session. You can use 1 point to:

1: add/subtract 1 to a 3d roll.

2: add/subtract 1DC to N damage (including mental powers and the like)

3: add/subtract 1 BODY to K damage (including Flash and the like)

You can use them to change any roll, even an NPC’s attack. If you want to use points after the roll, you pay double. You recover 1 point when the scene changes, and you can gain points for good role playing, a good joke, or something else remarkable.

Blue Rose also gives bonuses if all the dice have the same number: all 3s, etc. I’m thinking of using this in HERO too.

Cheers!

I cribbed a plot point system from Chris Avellone, I think. I give out a PP for good play or a smart move, and typically everyone gets about 1 or 2 a night. You can trade 5 in for an XP, or you can spend them.

Automatic hit on minor target: 1 point

Guaranteed average effect or damage: 1 point

Automatically push: 1 point

Reroll 1 die in skill or to hit roll: 1 point

Reroll 2 dice in skill or to hit roll: 3 points

Reroll all 3 dice in skill or to hit roll: 5 points

Reroll any 1’s: 1 point

Reroll 1’s and 2’s: 2 points

Automatic success for skills of 14 or better: 1 point

Automatic success for skills of 11 or better: 2 points

Minor power stunt (ie. using powers in a logical or thematic way, but which you didn’t pay points for): 1 point

Major power stunt: 2 points

Unbelievable power stunt: 3 points

+1 OCV or DCV in a phase: 1 per, 3 max

Plot points will be usable for even more things in order to tell a good story (dramatic edits, initiative, damage classes, last ditch defence).

Dramatic edits - use plot points to create lucky coincidences

Initiative boosts - 1 PP for +2 DEX in a phase

Damage classes - 2 PP for +1 damage class

Last ditch defence - 2 PP for +1 resistant defence

Blue Rose also has a system of action cards. There are 12 cards, each with a different action:

Gain +2d to one roll

One NPC goes somewhere you want

One NPC is delayed for one phase

You sudden have a useful item that could be around

and others.

Every scene, each player takes 2 cards blindly, and at the end of the scene, all cards are returned. It's an interesting system, but I prefer not to use it. Too often it feels like characters are saved by cards, not their own abilities.

Cheers!

It occurs to me that I allow players to demand a "luck-unluck" die when they are attempting something with long odds. Sometimes, I require it when I feel the action is so improbable that normative thinking has been abrogated (i.e. its just plain asinine in its disregard for the circumstances). Essentially, you roll an additional die with your skill, attack, or damage roll. If you roll a six the GM skews the result in your favor, though everything might not be all roses. You will at least enjoy some modicum of success. If you roll a one... well, lets just say its best not to roll a one when doing something asinine.

That is essentially the d6 system Wild Die. Steven Marsh just posted an article on Pyramid about what criticals actually mean, and it fits into this discussion well.

Essentially he said that since something wild occurs 1 out of 3 times, it shouldn't be that drastic.

As an example, hero A ties off a rope to help hero B. The wild die comes up bad. As he lowers the rope, it stops just short of B's reach.

Basically the way to play it would be that wild=bad + success means a success that requires some kind of follow-on roll. wild=good + success means amazing boon, possibly making your next action easier in some way. wild=bad + failure means that your failure is particularly heinous. wild=good + failure means that the failure is uncomfortable but there is a something good that will come of it.

This is a pretty radical departure from the normal 3d6 hero dice mechanic, but here's one i've been toying with:

1. build a deck of cards for each player to simulate the probability of a 3d6 roll,.. should break down like this:

[u]Roll	Cards	Total Cards[/u]
3	1	1
4	1	2
5	2	4
6	3	7
7	4	11
8	5	16
9	6	22
10	6	28
11	6	34
12	6	40
13	5	45
14	4	49
15	3	52
16	2	54
17	1	55
18	1	56

2. Each player flips a card out of his deck instead of rolling 3d6. Re-shuffle only after the whole deck has been played through, and between games...

3. Players with Luck, get to build a hand with a number of cards equal to thier Luck level +1. They then play from thier hand instead of the top of the deck. They refill thier hand only after the whole hand has been played.

It's a little like Castle Falkenstien....

I used the Luck Chit system for the first time during this weekend's game session and my players loved it.

I was contemplating puting in a Fate system to make up for the loss of Fate Points from the Warhammer game (running a FH game using the Warhammer Enemy Within Campaign) by giving out Luck Points where it called for Fate points but all my players like this solution even better.

Thanks for the great idea RDU!

I used the Luck Chit system for the first time during this weekend's game session and my players loved it.

I was contemplating puting in a Fate system to make up for the loss of Fate Points from the Warhammer game (running a FH game using the Warhammer Enemy Within Campaign) by giving out Luck Points where it called for Fate points but all my players like this solution even better.

Thanks for the great idea RDU!

Glad to hear it. The ability for players to have a little more influence on events, not so tied to the dice and yet still play within in the confines of their character, really adds something to the game.

Have fun, and drop me a line if you have any comments or questions. A couple of other GMs that use the system have made tweaks of their own to fit their groups that are interesting.

Enjoy.

I'm afraid I don't see the appeal to all these added mechanics and increased randomness.

Don't know if you are posting this seriously, or just to live up to your Subtitle, but...

... this mechanic doesn't actually add randomness... and can in fact, minimize it. It is most often used for those straight forward actions that go horribly awry when the dice roll an 18 or something. It just gives the players a little more control over their destiny and the story.

Now... this latter part... giving players more control... that might be your real issue. It is not something that traditional role playing encourages. The classic GM is always the one who makes the final "it works or it doesn't" call... but with these chits, the players have more say. They don't have to depend on the GM fudging rolls for them, but spend chits to overcome really crappy rolls. They can even add story elements and stylistic flourishes that are dramatic and effect the story. The chits are just a limiting factor, so one person with a big imagination doesn't just overrun the game.

Some folks aren't comfortable with this... and some style of games that are heavy Mud (a term I don't like, but I don't have another one) might hate chits, because they are spontaneous and brush over mechanical detail. It's a matter of taste more than anything.