VPP Limitation: Magic Only?

CrosshairCollie

Just trolling for opinions here. Do you think the limitation 'Magic Only' is worth anything on a VPP? I'm trying to compose a list of special effects that just don't feel 'magical', to see how big a limit to put on it. Using the USPD and a few other sources, here's what I have so far:

Radiation Powers

Bullets, Lasers, other technological effects like messing with radios

Cosmic Energy Powers

Cyberkinesis and other Computer-related powers

While not a lot, in a modern game, that's some things that could be remarkably useful ... on the other hand, you can still do a *lot*. I'm thinking 1/4, myself ... opinions?

Re: VPP Limitation: Magic Only?

-1/4 is what FREd gives it. I've taken the interpretation that "Magic Only" means magic is the only SFX. Magical flame doesn't act like actual fire, a magical lightning bolt doesn't act like real electricity, etc. This obviously lets out Variable Special Effect as well, although I might alow VSE to be used to add a special effect (for example, magical fire that actually triggers a vulnerability to fire).

As a house rule, I allow Spells Only for -1/4. In practical terms, that means no real improvising; all spells must be written up and approved in advance, and if you don't have your expendable "Blood of a Virgin" foci then it's no casting "Gateway to the Other Realm" for you. I do allow this type of pool to be used for Summons, including Vehicles and Automatons as long as those too were approved in advance.

A looser version with a -1/4 limit might just say "No followers, no vehicles, no temporary bases, no enchanted items, and no using Summon to get around it" for a Spells only pool.

Ultimately you're the GM, and the official material is full of people who get -1/4 for Magic Only VPPs.

I think you'd have to narrow it down to a specific type of magic dark magic, white magic fire magic i guess that might limit you some ways but really if you can come up with a suitable explanation i would allow any power constructon for magic.

for instance

summon gremlin to damage or manipulate machines

the eternal grasp of cestial spheres(cosmic manipulation)

pitchblend curse(radiation posioning)

I think a -1/4 Lim for "Magic Only" is fairly reasonable. First of all, limiting all of a person's VPP Powers to one special effect makes that person vulnerable to problems should they run into Adjustment Powers or extra defenses vs. that special effect - and honestly, "Magic Powers" is one of the most common special effects you're likely to see such Powers applied to.

Second, there are some effects which just aren't likely to fall within the domain of magic, so this limits what powers can be drawn from the VPP to some extent. Magic is a fairly broad category with lots of potential effects - thus the small Limitation value - but things like senses or attacks aimed at specific, science-based concepts (mutant or quantum powers, for example) should probably fall outside the range of "magic."

Now, obviously "magic" is not nearly as limited as "body-alteration powers," "mimic powers" or "absorbtion powers," or even something like "animal powers", but they'd all be worth a greater lim (Holocaust gets -1 1/2 for his Absorbtion VPP, I think).

Second' date=' there are some effects which just aren't likely to fall within the domain of magic, so this limits what powers can be drawn from the VPP to some extent. Magic is a fairly broad category with lots of potential effects - thus the small Limitation value - but things like senses or attacks aimed at specific, science-based concepts (mutant or quantum powers, for example) should probably fall outside the range of "magic." [/quote']

Well said.

Personally, I don't allow "Magic" as a limitation. IMO, anything can be magic. My campaigns have featured Technomancers, for example that can affect technology, mind mages who powers resemble psionics, etc. With a good explaination you can justify just about anything as magic. Unless your particular setting has specific guidelines on what falls under the umbrella of magic and what doesn't, I wouldn't give a limitation unless the VPP was limited to specific sort of magic (Necromany, witchcraft, etc).

Guest Witch Doctor

I have the differing opinion on whether technology should be able to be affected by magic.

Magic screws with the underlying forces of nature. There's no way science can compensate. So, magic overrides tech. A spell, in my opinion, -can- screw with radar.

I wouldn't allow a "magic only" lim even at -1/4. Its just too open to abuse. However, I would allow theme magic only (eg. only necromancy or only biomancy or only pyromancy or whatever). Primarily, I would simulate a magic sfx using limitations (eg. all VPP powers must take incantations and gestures). I have a character I'm currently playing who has a very large VPP with incantations and only what she specifically says in rhyme (by strict interpretation of the rhyme) occurs. She can achieve very powerful effects (perhaps the most powerful in the campaign), but her spells rarely give her exactly what she asks for and they can go spectacularly wrong.

I think it depends on the campaign. I mean, can 'magic only' really limit a VPP in a fantasy setting if being a magic-user is the only way you can have a VPP in the first place? I don't think so. In a superhero campaign OTOH, there are essentially as many SFX as players can conceive of, so 'magic only' would be a real limitation, especially if the GM enforces it properly by requiring/applying appropriate power modifiers to represent spell casting, and by making sure to create NPC's whose own SFX negate the magical SFX, thus limiting the use of the magical powers. ;)