Cape Haven (so far)

Hermit

I don't know if anyone was interested in what little progress I'd made, and what I did make was thanks in no small part to their ideas and suggestions of others. I decided to put Cape Haven in NC for now (Though, who knows, I might change it again before all is said and done) thanks to Lord Liaden's points but it's definitely going into the South East. I decided to avoid Florida because I didn't want it to bump too closely with Vibora Bay or Miami... or Orlando for that matter (Disney is a VIPER front I'm sure of it).

I'm using a paint program and a free map program someone pointed me to, so I wouldn't say the design is exact, but you get what you paid for and I paid zip ;)

I thought I'd parse together what I've got so far for public scrutiny.

Intro and History

Located on the Atlantic Coast on a small jut of land miles north of Moorehead, North Carolina, Cape Haven is a city built by and for super heroes. While it has grown, and changed, it has been forever touched by golden age moment, and some part of that lingers in everything there. Despite the odd mix of white pickets and towering skyscrapers, of 50s designs made with space age metals, and despite the jokes about this being a glorified “old Capes retirement homeâ€, one can not shake the feeling that “here, giants and tread.â€

History

Cape Haven was but only recently settled by most historical standards, in 1956. Despite this late start, it has boomed rapidly due to the uniqueness of its founders and some very odd coincidences. The Freedom Guard was a World War II active super team that had planned to retire pretty much in masse’. Having been formerly a nomadic group at best, the team decided to find a bit of land where they and their families could be relatively safe despite the fact that this retirement would most likely reveal their secret identities to the world. Having amassed a great deal of wealth through patents, business ventures and (if rumor is to be believed) crushing coal to diamonds; the Freedom Guard sought out real estate bargain.

Fortunately for them, one of their last capers was the rescue of the governor of North Carolina and preventing the loss of hundreds of lives. The state offered a bargain price on what was useless land to it at the time. The heroes gratefully accepted the land, and began to use their powers to drain swamps, move stone, and alter the very terrain to be more protected, more productive, and roomier. They were quick to invite their friends and loved ones to join them. This in turn caused an avalanche of almost odd coincidences.

The FG’s endeavors had recaptured some of the public’s imagination, suddenly there were popular again. Some press followed to report on the progress, but even more merchants moved nearby pocking the surrounding area with tourist spots and places where one could buy cheap Super Hero merchandise. This sort of thing couldn’t last, but it did draw some enterprising people (to put it nicely) into the area.

Nor had the Freedom Guard’s old foes forgotten them. Predictably, more than a few sought to ambush the ‘retired’ heroes. Few truly succeeded though, because despite being long in the tooth the FG had planned for this. Defeated, most villains left the area to lick their wounds, but a few lingered about the area, including some that were captured and served time in local state jails only to come out 10+ years later wondering what to do with their declining years. Thus the area became something of a retirement area for some villains as well.

When the popularity of the heroes dwindled again, many of the small businessmen lamented the lost revenue. Feeling somewhat responsible, the heroes offered many cut deals on the excess land they had, and set the locals up with their first real homes. The area that was meant to be little more than a retirement villa had turned into an honest to god town. In 1963, a hurricane striking much of the North Carolina Coast would have floods of refugees seeking shelter, and fully expecting a super town to hold up more. Since super strong materials were incorporated in many of the buildings already, and barriers had been erected to blunt the winds, it DID. A lot of folk stayed.

Through out all this, Cape Haven had its ups and downs, the Freedom Guard and other super heroes who settled in the area had more children, many of who either inherited similar powers or tech. Sons and daughters of villains also rose up, but many of them thought of Cape Haven as dull, and sought to make their own name in other cities. Still, many would return to raise their own families. While Cape Haven was never as hugely populated as some other cities, it did and does have an above average number of superhumans for a city its size.

Layout and Superhuman general info

Layout

Cape Haven was originally constructed to be a collection of homes (Manors in some cases) in the hills and on the shore where heroes could settle in peace. The rest happened somewhat by accident, and alas, the lack of preparedness shows in some of the erratic “burps†of the city layout. Since the city formed along five or six main areas hooking up to meet in the middle, it has ended up becoming something of an irregular gemstone in layout. It has ended up facing southward chiefly into the gray waters of the Atlantic and this is where most of the dock yard activity is.

The city has an odd mix of high tech and 'white picket fences' going on. Heroes have definitely left their mark. One example is that phone booths, real full sized phone booths are still plentiful in the city. The darn things tend to be romanticized as places where anyone might step in a normal guy, and come out with a cape. Besides, even heroes need places to change and preserve their modesty. The buildings vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. Both Skyscrapers and squat warehouses can be found. In at least one area a super hero with sufficient leg strength could bound up and up using some close fitting buildings like giant steps!

Lastly, one can not fail to notice almost every street is named after one super hero or another. This was not the intent of the Freedom Guard, but rather started as a way to honor them by the city council. Of course, there are some who claim it has a lot more to do with tourist dollars now.

The Superhuman World in Cape Haven

Where as Millennium City caters to the tech loving hero, and Vibora Bay to the mystic, Cape Haven is a place where “Legacy†heroes thrive. Villains also often sport names, costumes, and/or powers similar to their forefathers. While not as common as local jokesters will claim, it is possible for anyone to accidentally uncover an old secret formula, or alien device that some past superhuman left behind. A larger percentage than is typical of most cities has powers or abilities beyond the norm. This still doesn’t mean there is a hero on every street, but it really is more like what one would expect in Chicago or New York.

There is no official super hero team, but there is “The Table†a rather large complex built, owned, and operated by one of the retired Freedom Guard meant to encourage proper behavior in the later generations of super heroes. Its rooms, and many of its resources are open to any crimefighter who meets certain qualifications. Chief among these is a strict ‘no killing’ policy. The ‘open base’ has been received with some success, and for many superhumans it has proven to be a fine place to rest, recoup, and even socialize.

The current generation of super heroes tend to work either in pairs or solo when patrolling the city.

(Plans on making more NPCs as things develop)

Vital Stats and some (but not all) neighborhoods

Cape Haven Vital Statistics (2004)

Population: 0.8 million (SMSA), 812, 400 (Urban Center)

Race: 62% White, 21% Black, 5% American Indian, 5% Hispanic. 7% other

Religion: 64% Protestant, 25% Catholic, 6% Jewish, 5% Other

Major Industries: Agriculture, Fishing, light manufacturing, Publishing, Shipping, Tourism

Nickname: Valhalla on the Coast (“Old Capes Home†derogatory)

City Government: Mayor, Neighborhood based City Council

Mayor: Jack Jefferson

Neighborhoods

Emerald Downs: Consisting chiefly of the North Western Section of the city between Ratchet Road and Gemini West, this part of town has traditionally been the most economically depressed area in the city. However, recent embarrassment over a massive gang problem and the realization that this area of town is often the first one seen by incoming traffic has lead to renewed attempts to revitalize it with some success. Beautification programs are underway, and the bane of the city council’s existence is a fiery African American woman named Linda Cartwell who is quick to rally the neighborhood if it looks like the city is cutting corners by merely fixing the area on the main streets.

University Block aka “The Triangleâ€: This area, given its form by the three surrounding streets of Ratchet Road, Zoom North Blvd, and Blazer Lane seems a world away from Emerald Downs despite the proximity. Holding not one, but three institutes of Higher Learning, The campuses almost seem to interconnect and the area is among the liveliest of the city. Carver College has an excellent reputation in modern engineering, architecture, as well as Computer courses. The Upper Carolina College has become a hotbed of would be young activists protesting this or that, which gets put on hold any time their football team (“Go Heroes!â€) is playing. And of course, the staff at the Ringold Bible Academy worries constantly that their students will be corrupted by the other schools but can’t afford to move.

East Dell: On the central-eastern side of the city, between Hypnotica Ave, Gemini East and Long Street is the ‘artsy’ part of town with a lot of unusual features. For one thing, it has a sizable number of American Indians living there, thanks in no small part to the Kerowah Reservation to the north that many young Amerinds decide to leave. They always find a home at East Deal where ‘Shamanic Chic’ as one wag has put it, caught on in the 70s and never went away. “Native American Art†sells well here, and there seems to be a never ending supply of patrons or customers to cater to it. A few tribal elders are actually irritated at this and accuse younger members of the tribe of “selling our selves and our heritage so cheaply for display†but most think of it as a fine way to preserve both. New Agers talk of ‘mystic laylines’ and such under this part of town, which causes most Cape Haveners to just roll their eyes and move on with their lives.

North Bend: The North Eastern Corner of the city is the most modern, in both looks and focus. Brand new Apartment buildings are forming up to provide spaces for the employees of the new corporate buildings to live in. Originally many of these same buildings wanted to purchase land in East Dell, but that neighborhood proved remarkably stubborn so instead North Bend was invested in, and expanded. It’s actually worked well for all involved as it has brought some new revenue and much needed jobs for the locals while giving industry room to develop and grow. Some predict this will become the “new hub†of the city within 12 years.

Re: Cape Haven (so far)

Hi Hermit, neat looking city.

Several design thoughts here, even though Cape Haven is an accidental city, once people started moving in some basic urban design would be implimented by the council. Given the 50's/60's feel of it I have a few suggestions.

1) Waterfront on the Cape is all parks and highrises, condos, apartments etc. Any developer worth his salt wouldn't be building warehouses on land perfect for ocean front views. Any urban planner worth his pay cheque would be looking at the weather patterns and insistining on some nice high perms to prevent flooding damage.

2) Docks should be to on either side of Cape Haven with railyards and warehouses behind it.

3) The main highway should be identified and the Interstate located with appropriate ring road for ease of travel

Cheers, David

Hi Hermit, neat looking city.

Several design thoughts here, even though Cape Haven is an accidental city, once people started moving in some basic urban design would be implimented by the council. Given the 50's/60's feel of it I have a few suggestions.

Glad to hear any of them.

1) Waterfront on the Cape is all parks and highrises, condos, apartments etc. Any developer worth his salt wouldn't be building warehouses on land perfect for ocean front views. Any urban planner worth his pay cheque would be looking at the weather patterns and insistining on some nice high perms to prevent flooding damage.

Mmm, the defense against floods etc isn't hard to rationalize since at different times, the super heroes could litterally move mountains if need be.

2) Docks should be to on either side of Cape Haven with railyards and warehouses behind it.

Makes total sense, though, I'm not sure I have the skills to alter that map to reflect that. I'll have to think on it.

3) The main highway should be identified and the Interstate located with appropriate ring road for ease of travel

Oh sure...logic again. I need to break out my atlas and see what if any major interestate or highway would come closest :)

Thanks for the input.

This is a very intriguing concept, Hermit. I can see how you're developing it as a kind of "supertown" where paranormals are considered almost, well, normal. This has a lot of potential. I hope you don't mind me contributing a few observations and questions:

The population seems pretty high for a city barely fifty years old, which had no real natural resources to recommend it before the heroes moved in. Not to sound critical, but not every city has to approach the million population mark to be significant. There are many cities in the U.S. that are much older and better situated, with far fewer people.

This sounds like a place where the citizenry is going to be very difficult to faze. They will likely have seen so much superhuman activity and freaky phenomena that they'll be almost blase about such occurences. I could see the populace of Cape Haven having developed a reputation for unflappability, like cab drivers yelling at Grond to stop blocking the street. ;)

With all the various supervillain plots, alien devices and so on having passed through the city, I wouldn't be surprised if there are parts of town which are very unusual. For example, some areas might be known for odd phenomena: alleys that run in directions or distances that don't match their apparent layout, or hills where time passes far faster or slower than elsewhere. Certain spots may be closed to the public as potentially harboring a residue of villainy. Some of the buildings may have quite alien architecture to suit extraterrestrial tastes, or be designed in apparent defiance of sound engineering principles... and gravity.

You might want to consider how the local law enforcement is organized and equipped. You mention the unique security features that the supers built into their town; do the supers have control of it, or the city government? Who's in charge if supervillains cause a scene, and what resources can they bring to bear? Are supers part of the police force, or do they keep separate?

How has society in Cape Haven evolved to keep control of all the "superbrats" running around? Childish or teenage hijinks take on greater significance if the kids in question can punt a Buick. For that matter, are all the super inhabitants publicly known, or are there still some who maintain a secret ID? How are former villains who retire here treated by the public?

I look forward to hearing more about this project. :thumbup:

Looks good, Rec.

In regard to some of Lord Liaden's comments:

Knowing how politicians and police like to be 'in control', I would expect that the police would have power armor (iron guard or turtle armor, for example), high-powered energy weapons, power restraint devices meant to suppress super powers, etc., just to give them at least an equal footing with the supers in town, especially the villains. There is only so much technology can do, though, hence a certain amount of reliance on and need for super heroes.

Sound good? I look forward to playing.

-- Randi :)

This is a very intriguing concept, Hermit. I can see how you're developing it as a kind of "supertown" where paranormals are considered almost, well, normal. This has a lot of potential. I hope you don't mind me contributing a few observations and questions:

NAH, don't mind. :) Even if I don't use ideas, others might go "That IS a better way" and when they steal... uhm, borrow stuff here, they'll incorporate those ideas. :) Where as if I do use it, it's sure to make it better.

The population seems pretty high for a city barely fifty years old, which had no real natural resources to recommend it before the heroes moved in. Not to sound critical, but not every city has to approach the million population mark to be significant. There are many cities in the U.S. that are much older and better situated, with far fewer people.

Good point. I had planned on playing it as a boom town of sorts, with a thriving tourist industry, but 1.8 is a tad much. What would you suggest though?

This sounds like a place where the citizenry is going to be very difficult to faze. They will likely have seen so much superhuman activity and freaky phenomena that they'll be almost blase about such occurences. I could see the populace of Cape Haven having developed a reputation for unflappability, like cab drivers yelling at Grond to stop blocking the street. ;)

I actually have a cabbie NPC already formed up and ready who's only "powers" are an ungodly CK and at least +20 PRE Defense.

:)

With all the various supervillain plots, alien devices and so on having passed through the city, I wouldn't be surprised if there are parts of town which are very unusual. For example, some areas might be known for odd phenomena: alleys that run in directions or distances that don't match their apparent layout, or hills where time passes far faster or slower than elsewhere. Certain spots may be closed to the public as potentially harboring a residue of villainy. Some of the buildings may have quite alien architecture to suit extraterrestrial tastes, or be designed in apparent defiance of sound engineering principles... and gravity.

Well, as a matter of fact, some of the lingering devices (or is it ritual magics... I'm leaving it open to keep folks guessing) the heroes have stored away have an effect on both probability (meaning odd coincidences that affect super heroes have a source for this setting) and even to some degree time. I don't know the DC concept of Hypertime well, but this lets me explain why some folks may age differently than others, but no one notices it!

"Dear old Aunt Mabel, she's so sick, so weak... and has been for 25 FREAKING YEARS, the woman's invulnerable!"

:)

You might want to consider how the local law enforcement is organized and equipped. You mention the unique security features that the supers built into their town; do the supers have control of it, or the city government? Who's in charge if supervillains cause a scene, and what resources can they bring to bear? Are supers part of the police force, or do they keep separate?

I'll consider it all. I may go with Randi's suggestions, something like a local force of IRON Guard members from the 4th Ed PRIMUS might work, though whether I'll be that obvious or not I don't know. There will be a stronghold like building (Not as large, natch) to contain neer do wells.

The super hero/authority situation is kind of political. The Registration Act of the CU exists here, but the city has (under popular demand and hero lobbying) made a pointed effort of protesting it and resisting it every step of the way. Not even a half hearted effort is made to collect the names. There is a minority "Normal Interest group" that goes against this tide, but most folks of the city don't want to see Grandma killed because she USED to wear a cape and some scum wad's son find out (They don't buy into the whole "Our computer system's impenetrable and our agents who handle the info uncorruptable").

The local police forces don't try to bully the heroes into 'enlisting' and in exchange, it is expected that the heroes defer to the cops a lot... and of course, act as the living human shields they are to keep the boys in blue alive. However, cops are people, and some of them resent being totally overshadowed by superheroes.

How has society in Cape Haven evolved to keep control of all the "superbrats" running around? Childish or teenage hijinks take on greater significance if the kids in question can punt a Buick. For that matter, are all the super inhabitants publicly known, or are there still some who maintain a secret ID? How are former villains who retire here treated by the public?

Good questions. Many maintain a secret ID, this town can be traditional in some ways. The superbrats, be they kids or Teenagers are not as common as you might think, it depends on the generation. Sometimes it skips (This allows me to let any PCs really shine) and once they hit college age, a lot of them leave looking for other cities to make their own names. The Son of Captain Mega gets tired of being called "Mega-Lad" all the time... that sort of thing.

And of course, there were sidekicks. I also imagine Ravenswood gets a lot of transfer students from this area. :)

I might put out some sort of school in similar vein.

As for villains, it varies. Enough super heroes were villains that individuals are not above beliving in redemption, but one can only be shrunk, transformed, mentally enslaved, or strapped to a large dime so often before forgiveness becomes very hard. ;)

At least one retired villain however, is a respected professor at a local university. His mwhahahaha! has the staff worried, but it keeps the students riveted in their seats. :eg:

I look forward to hearing more about this project. :thumbup:

Thank you :)

Looks good, Rec.

In regard to some of Lord Liaden's comments:

Knowing how politicians and police like to be 'in control', I would expect that the police would have power armor (iron guard or turtle armor, for example), high-powered energy weapons, power restraint devices meant to suppress super powers, etc., just to give them at least an equal footing with the supers in town, especially the villains. There is only so much technology can do, though, hence a certain amount of reliance on and need for super heroes.

Sound good? I look forward to playing.

-- Randi :)

Sounds good to me.:)

I can certainly see the police force being more advanced than most with a city containing various gadgeteers and such wouldn’t be hard.

I sort of imagine the chief of police being a retired batman like vigilante kind of a cross between commissioner Gordon and batman of the future Bruce Wayne.

I kind of imagine Cape Haven PD officers having really great promotion tracks if they choose to move to other high Meta crime rate cities.

Other cities [especially those with a recent increase in meta crime] might be crying out for the sort of experience even a relatively junior officer in a city like cape haven would have.

There should be some academy for super children, definately. One teacher.

Presence 60...It's Dr. Destroyers MOM! oR better yet, simply use Dr D's character sheet, altering him to Demeter, goddess of city planning and motherhood...

...Heh, Aunt Mabel...that was funny...:D

Good point. I had planned on playing it as a boom town of sorts' date=' with a thriving tourist industry, but 1.8 is a tad much. What would you suggest though?[/quote']

If it were up to me, I wouldn't go for more than half that number over the whole SMSA. If you wanted to you could adjust the population of the urban center upward proportionately, since there wouldn't have been much time or incentive to promote urban sprawl. IMO any city in the vicinity of half a million is very respectable.

As for it being a "boom town," if that's how you want it to go I would suggest that the economy needs to be a bit more diversified in order to draw people in such numbers. I really don't think that tourism and fishing as the primary businesses would be quite enough. ;) Even hurricane refugees would need more reason to stick around.

Exploitable resources are one incentive for urban growth. There wasn't a lot here when the heroes arrived, but they could change that. As I mentioned the Atlantic coastline of North Carolina has potentially fine soil for agriculture. If the heroes continued to lend their help reclaiming land outside Cape Haven, the region could become very productive farmland. Also, selective demolition of the sandbars that make long stretches of the NC coastline treacherous for shipping would allow Cape Haven to become a seaport capable of handling larger vessels, which would boost trade in fish and farm products, as well as tourism.

OTOH the city's "light industry" would likely be at the forefront of high-tech. After all, the citizenry would include some of the world's foremost super-scientists who would want to put their genius to work paying for their retirement and children's college education. Large-scale manufacturing wouldn't suit environmentally-conscious superheroes, or course, but industries like electronics, information technology and pharmaceuticals would probably thrive here. That would lead to an influx of well-educated yuppies, and that plus the presence of so many great minds would in turn encourage the growth of the university population.

And now a word about our founders

The Freedom Guard, the very heroes who helped found the city is still a work in progress (What isn't, says you?) but here's what and who I have so far.

This will be edited and updated as I work it out.

Formerly Known as the Freedom Guard

In its time, the Freedom Guard has had many members, never more than twelve at a time, but each left his or her mark. Most have died, a few presumed dead, and two are still alive, and each active in their own way.

Blazer- Secret ID: Scott Burns. A 4F reject altered by a strange chemical accident to become a living flame thrower, Blazer served admirably with the Freedom Guard all his life. He was often thrust into the leadership role, and was relentless in his energy. Even after his retirement, he kept active and wrote quite a few successful books about himself and his team such as ‘Blazes Glorious and Not so’ , ‘Soldiers and Supermen’ and the more humorous ‘My grandkids don’t think I’m all that hot’ . Scott died in 1985 of natural causes, choosing to decline radical mystical and high tech treatments.

Quotes: (During World War II) “The Fire of Liberty will never die!â€

(During his retirement years) “I don’t know why everyone is surprised a ‘golden age’ super hero with flame powers had a last name like Burns. Back then, that just seemed to be how it worked out.â€

On his tombstone: “Hero. Father. Husband. He lit the way all his life…and beyond.â€

Blue Jaguar- Secret ID: William Saint. The Blue Jaguar kept his identity secret all his life and beyond, except to his team mates, and even they didn’t understand the source of his phenomenal physical prowess, though they were pretty sure it was mystical in nature. Indeed, Blue Jaguar was the one they turned to when it came to understanding such occult groups as the Nazi villain team “The Tree of Thuleâ€. Alas, it was a seed of the “Tree†that ended up being his assassin, and the Blue Jaguar is said to have died rather than give up the source of his power. Whatever that source is, it could be anywhere.

Quotes: (During World War II) “Considering who you take your name from, you’re awfully short sighted Heimdell. The tree falls tonight!â€

(During retirement years) “It’s Aztec. How do I know? Just trust me.â€

On a monument: “Blue Jaguar- Fate Power Choice- Hero.â€

Gemini- Secret ID: Richard Thomas. By focusing stellar energy through a ‘Doppler effect’ chamber, Dr. Richard Thomas hoped to learn how to create echo effects of energy sources that would be almost as good as the original. When a 5th columnist group sabotaged his experiment, destroyed his notes, and left him for dead, he survived and gained the odd ability to create a duplicate of himself. Calling himself Gemini, he began his two-in-one war on crime, before joining up with the Freedom Guard. As he grew older, his powers faded, and he went into retirement happily. A leading energy researcher even into his late 60s, he died a hero even without the powers when he did a manual shut down of a power generator that was about to go critical. He was instantly vaporized.

Quotes: (During World War II) “Two heads are better than one, four fists aren’t too bad either.â€

(Last words) “It’s about to blow! Marge, Get everyone out of here. Don’t worry, I’ll probably just regain my powers or be shunted to another dimension or something … happens all the time.â€

Requested Epitaph: “Take a dead man’s advice; it’s WORTH twice the danger if you live twice the life.â€

Hypnotica- Secret Identity: Betty Gates (later Betty Murgrave). Born to a wealthy and often globe trotting family, Betty was allowed a few eccentries. Her interest in hypnosis was one of them. Perfecting it to super human levels, soon the world’s criminals feared this sultry siren’s gaze and voice. Having a some what scandalous reputation as a super hero, she never the less retired in a perfectly respectable fashion (by the fashions of the times) much to her embarrassment. She passed away just last year.

Quotes: (During WW II) “Come now darlings, don’t resist, you don’t really mind being… -under- little ole me, do you?â€

(During Retirement) “Love, marriage, children and respectability… you hear about such tragedies, but you never think it will happen to you.â€

(Seen on a website) “KEWL PIC! Whoz that hottie?†“Hypnotica, in 1948, she’s dead, and old enough to be your grandma dude.†“#$#$! Way to kill a ##$#$.â€

Kilroy- The most successful government agent the United States has ever known. Kilroy was a master infiltrator, spy, and saboteur for the American and allied forces. His signatures, at first alarming to his superiors, ended up to being a great morale boost to his fellow troops. In one of the last missions of the Freedom guard, he actually ingested the “Twylth formula†gaining true invisibility, and extended life span. While he tried to settle down with the others, watching them decay while he remained was a painful thing for him, and he resumed crime fighting in his own way. Some say he’s dead, but few believe it. He has become an urban legend, and the phrase ‘Kilroy was here’ is still one of the most common graffiti bits you can see on the walls of Cape Haven. Usually near a foiled crime scene.

Quotes: (During WW II) “I’ve already checked it out.â€

(recently found message in a busted and exposed VIPER nest) “Guess who?-K.â€

(Still to come)

Kraken-

Long Linda-

Ratchet-Secret ID: Jerome Carver. Jerome Carver was a genius, he knew it, some of his friends knew it, but just try convincing some parts of society (especially at that time) that a black man could be one. Jerome’s technical skills were next to none, but few appreciated it or saw past the color of his skin. When the call went out for super heroes to assist against the axis, he was inspired. Donning a full body suit, he took the name Ratchet and became one of the first “Gadgeteersâ€. Since no one knew he was a black man, no one judged and he soon found himself respected, and his services sought out; But only as Ratchet. When retirement came, Jerome decided it was time to stop ‘passing for white’, and took off the mask. There was sputtering outrage from many, except, of course, the guard, who by this time had found out, dealt with their own biases, and over come them. Alas, this unveiling was the beginning of Jerome’s true struggles. He fought long and hard for civil rights in one generation, only to have the next one deride him as an Uncle Tom. Harder now, but wiser, Jerome is one of the few surviving veterans of the FG, and thanks to his money (earned from numerous patents), property, and technological edge honed over decades, the most powerful man in Cape Haven.

He is the designer, and owner of the Table.

Quotes: (During WW II) “I’ve managed to re-calibrate the doomsday device and internalize the energies. There will still be a cascade chain reaction, but it should be totally self-contained now. Heck YES I’m backing up anyways!â€

(At his self unmasking) “Yes, I am a ‘black man’, and I feel I can no longer hide the adjective without diminishing the noun. I assure you, the blood I and other coloreds have shed for this country comes in red, just like any white soldiers.â€

(Recently) “I don’t care if your butt is black, white, yellow OR green. Super Heroes do not kill unless they must. Super heroes do not pimp themselves out. You show a little dignity in yourself and your calling, or you drag your sorry butt off my property.â€

Stellar-She was born Esel Lir, and her planet and people were gone. That’s all she ever told the press, and that’s all they knew. She seemed to bear a secret shame about it, as if she could have somehow prevented the catastrophe. The one thing that none could deny was her raw power. Fortunately, when she came to earth, she seemed determined to save THIS planet, and joined her cause to those of the Allies. Kept away from much of the battle by certain Axis rituals, she kept the superhuman hordes of the Nazis and others at bay, including their dreaded “Todesstahl†or “Death Steel†Program in which 50 ft tall robots were released to wreck havoc. Years after Japan surrendered, one villain was so distraught that he attempted to use a mystic artifact called “The Jade Mirror of Worlds†to recreate the entire globe into his own Nippon triumphant. The Freedom Guard was spared so they could witness the villain’s triumph. That was a mistake. When Blue Jaguar deduced that enough life energy might counter balance the change, Stellar, realizing she had the most of ‘that energy’ sacrificed herself by smashing the mirror. Reality returned to normal, and she fell over dead. She never saw Cape Haven built.

Quote: (during WW II) “Lovely planet, lots of sunlight, why do some humans insist on ruining it?â€

At her funeral’s Eulogy: “She was the best of us.†–Blazer.

Zoom-

The Current Generation

Some NPCs Heroes of the current generation

Chrome- A sentient robot, his capacity for analysis is impressive. His appearance is what gives him his name, and his shell is not only shiney, but darn durable. Chrome was built and designed by Ratchet, though the two do not talk much. While Chorme respects his creator and stays at "The Table", some private matter between them has caused their relationship to become a bit strained. His mode of speech is very Microwavesue (if you've played Freedom Force)

Glory- Wearing a red white and blue costume, Glory claims no connection to the founders, but is a dedicated patriot with a 'never say die' attitude. She's an exceptional martial artist who prefers to fight hand to hand, but is not so foolish as to ignore bringing needed gear along when she has time to prepare.

Long Arm- a man in a green and brown costume that is bare chested. There are celtic designs, almost like tattoos, along his arms, and he carries a spear that seems to crackle with power. A skilled warrior, he speaks of honor and glory without pretense or shame. Most are sure there is some connection to him and the mythic figure "Lugh of the Long Arm".

Small Fry-Small Fry, the shrinking flame projector, is costumed in a bodysuit of multiple reds with orange flame designs and a crimson domino mask. His powers of shrinking and heat production appear to be linked, perhaps it involves molecular compresion. He's a rookie compared to most of the other heroes, but eager to prove that he too is up to the big leauges.

Zoom (III)- A woman in a full costume that looks akin to speed skater's outfit with a Z symbol along the whole body. Zoom is the third to bear that name, and more than a bit tired of being compared to her predescors. She's also determined to hold onto her title as the 'quickest super hero in the Haven'. Yeah, she has a few issues.