How to: Three guy's with one bullet.

Sociotard

Re: How to: Three guy's with one bullet.

For Street Level Campaigns:

Dark Champions, p. 192, Blowthrough.

Basically, you compare the BODY the bullet does to the BODY + RDef of the Target.

If the BODY the bullet does is greater, then it can hit something behind the Target.

You roll to hit the next guy with just your Base OCV, no extra levels or anything.

Disclaimer:

This is not intended to reduce your need to buy Dark Champions!

It is intended to show you what cool stuff is in Dark Champions, so you will run right out and buy it this very minute!

You heard me!

Get going!

Scat!

:bmk::yes:

And don't come back until you've bought it!

:D

KA.

Dang. That does make the book sound cooler. Oh' date=' now look what you did. You made my wallet cry. Now don't you feel bad? Good thing I'm getting a book to read or I would't be able to ignore it. :)[/quote']

Well, I sort of feel bad. :(

On the other hand, it is a great book! :)

Plus, I didn't want to post anything that would make someone feel like they didn't need the book.

And it really is full of cool stuff for anyone who wants to run any kind of "street level" or "realistic" campaign, or just anything that includes detective work and gunplay.

KA.

Re: How to: Three guys with one bullet.

I was watching Indiana Jones the other day' date=' and they used the old schtick where there are 3 or 4 goons coming at the hero in a line, he shoots, and the bullet goes through all of them (must've been full metal jacket with a good size callibur).[/quote']

The pistol used in that scene was a Walther P-38, which would have been a brand-new gun in the year that that movie was set. (He took it from a German officer, and it was issued to the German Army as an officer's sidearm in 1938.) It fires a 9mm Parabellum cartridge, which does have something of a reputation for over-penetration. Some police agencies have eschewed 9mm by 19 weapons because of the fear that bullets they place in bad guys etc. will go through into bystanders, hence the growing popularity of 10mm S&W in law enforcement circles.

I can't tell you how realistic this perception is.

My take on the scene was not that anything particularly special had happened. Jones shot the front guy in the queue with a P-38, and the 9mm Parabellum bullet blew through two guys and stopped in the third: which is a bit extreme but not I guess impossible. Jones looked surprised because he is more used to .38 Colt or whatever, which doesn't have the rep for being quite so zippy.

The little problem is that it was the gun, not the cartridge, that was new in 1938. 9mm Parabellum came out (if memory serves) in 1908, and won its reputation for penetrating power in Mauser and Luger pistols long before the P-38 and the Browning Hi-Power were built around it.

I must say that I would be against giving Indy a special ability to represent this attack: he looked gobsmacked after it happened. I would also be strongly against representing a pretty ordinary military sidearm (the P-38) as an area effect weapon. This is in my opinion a freakish event that made a good moment in a movie, not something you want as a dependable tactic (especially for villains) in an RPG. 9mm Parabellum has been a popular calibre for military weapons for most of a century, and we don't want this sort of thing happeneing in every fight.

For Street Level Campaigns:

Dark Champions, p. 192, Blowthrough.

Basically, you compare the BODY the bullet does to the BODY + RDef of the Target.

Sure. But the gun in that scene was a Walther P-38, firing a 9mm Parabellum cartridge out of a 150mm barrel. D6+1 killing? Is that about right?

Admittedly they had no RDef, but isn't 6 Body a bit low for German soldiers?

And don't come back until you've bought it!

I received a copy as a (very welcome) 40th birthday present. Is that close enough?

Sure. But the gun in that scene was a Walther P-38, firing a 9mm Parabellum cartridge out of a 150mm barrel. D6+1 killing? Is that about right?

Admittedly they had no RDef, but isn't 6 Body a bit low for German soldiers?

I received a copy as a (very welcome) 40th birthday present. Is that close enough?

Well, I didn't say it would work that way, I just quoted the rules. ;)

And yes, getting one as a present is good enough.:)

KA.

Yeah, I looked at the online store, and I think I'll wait till december or so. I like to order two or three books at once to get the most out of the shipping charges, and since I don't generally buy setting books, it'll be a while before the ones I want come out.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: How to: Three guys with one bullet.

Indy shooting three guys with one bullet? Now I have to go dig the trilogy out to watch it again. I would say for Indy it was Luck. As for anone else, AE:Line Selective truly seems the best way to go. You still have to get them all lined up which most villians are not willing to do.

Darn them! Darn them to Heck!!

(The above exclamation reviewed and censored by your open minded and not overbearing FCC. Thank you for your support.)