GM's "rights"

nexus

Re: GM's "rights"

For the record, my calling him blackmoor was sarcasm, given that they both share the same aim of badmouthing me every chance they get.

As for the page, its been there all along. Of course, its also been a .html page until I poked Steve in the ribs and told him to convert it. But its been there.

And before the "reboot", the Credit Where Credit Is Due was on the first page of the site, at the bottom.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be a weird exception to the rule, but I love it when the GM throws curves and surprises into my background. IMO, anything I haven't explicitedly asked not to be touched is fair game for a little tinkering. I think it creates the best suprises and genuine emotional responces. For example right now, there is a possibility that Pinnacle is adopted and may be related to Junkyard Jenny, one our groups villains. That just wouldnt' be as much fun as if it was scripted out before hand to me.

I have one player who insists I make all of his characters without his input with the standing instructions: "screw with me."

Hello!?! Isn't that Rule 4 in the GMs Handbook? You know, that just triggered a humorous thought...the 10 Commandments of GMing.

HA. Time to start a thread.

Guest bblackmoor

You know' date=' that just triggered a humorous thought...the 10 Commandments of GMing. HA. Time to start a thread.[/quote']

Better pack your Nomex.

I prefer fluid campaigns, too. Can't stand playing a static PC that never changes. Blech!

I love to be surprised.

I hate surprises.

I don't mind plot surprises, but don't screw around with the important parts of my character.

{Bad GM} "Huh, huh....yeah, uh, your character's not really an alien! He's a mutant who was kidnapped, and the campaign archvillain tampered with his memories! Isn't that a cool twist!"

{Me} "No, jackass, it's not at all cool, and the only thing my character is...is out of your campaign."

If I want that kind of nonsense, I'll take a Mystery Disad.

And I never take Mystery Disads.

Guest bblackmoor

I hate surprises.

Different people have different levels of tolerance. The important thing is for the players to communicate with each other so that they know what's permissible and what's not. If one player is fine with another player tinkering with the background of her character, that's great. If not, then not. If everyone playing is a sane adult, it shouldn't be a cause for concern.

Oh my god' date=' you are so lucky. I want that guy in my campaign.[/quote']Heck, who wouldn't? I have really good players in my campaign, and I'd still love a player like that. That's like the Holy Grail to most GMs. :eg:

This guy could probably auction out his membership in a campaign on e-Bay and stop working for a living. "Professional RPG Victim for Hire; willing to relocate" :D

Heck, who wouldn't? I have really good players in my campaign, and I'd still love a player like that. That's like the Holy Grail to most GMs. :eg:

This guy could probably auction out his membership in a campaign on e-Bay and stop working for a living. "Professional RPG Victim for Hire; willing to relocate" :D

You can't have him! He's mine! All mine!

I have one player who insists I make all of his characters without his input with the standing instructions: "screw with me."

Heh. All too happy to oblige...

Well, signing up for one of my games is giving me a button-pushing licence for sure, and I expect no less of my own GM's, so there's a player who's good to have in a group. But, does he really never hanker to develop a character concept for himself? I simply cannot imagine never ever creating my own characters, especially for superheroing. Plus, do you never hanker to tell him to go off and do his own number-crunching once in a while? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think its perfectly acceptable for the GM to make suggestions to the player regarding changes in the character before the character gets introduced into the game. That means the player needs to get his stuff together and sheet passed by the GM before they sit down for the session. Anything that needs to be worked out should be worked out between the two and not by committee with the other players.

As a GM, I tend to be more critical of certain powers or levels if I know it will throw the balance out of the campaign. As a player, I am willing to abide by whatever campaign rules the GM puts forth.

As for nebulous stuff in the background, I've been there as a player - in a game run by Sean Fannon in fact. I wanted my character to have amnesia. That gave Sean as the GM the ability to trickle in background pieces that made sense to the campaign world, etc. I decided the character's personality - he provided the fun stuff. It made the game very exciting for me.

Guest bblackmoor

I think its perfectly acceptable for the GM to make suggestions to the player ... Anything that needs to be worked out should be worked out between the two...

This is all completely reasonable. Rep for you.

As a GM I feel I don't have the right to mess with loved ones, character history and the like without asking the player's permission. Likewise with anything that fundamentally changes a character concept. I should treat the creative work of the players with respect.

Examples would be a sort of Total Recall like reveal that the character's whole life is a lie, the Spider clone saga and the like. The reader response to the Spider clone issue, which essentially said the last 20 years of comics have been a lie, is pretty analogous to the player response in that sort of situation.

A PC with amnesia (that the player has chosen) is a different matter as to me that player is sending a signal that the GM has carte blanche.

Obviously a lot of players are perfectly happy to be 'screwed with'. But a large number aren't. I would never assume a player falls into the former camp without asking.

Guest bblackmoor

The reader response to the Spider clone issue' date=' which essentially said the last 20 years of comics have been a lie, is pretty analogous to the player response in that sort of situation.[/quote']

The invention of the planet Zeist had a similar effect. And I have been hearing recently about some kind of wholesale change to the Legion Of Super Heroes comic that has apparently upset some folks. (I didn't even know they still published that comic -- the last time I read it was in the late 1970s.)

As a GM I feel I don't have the right to mess with loved ones, character history and the like without asking the player's permission. Likewise with anything that fundamentally changes a character concept. I should treat the creative work of the players with respect.

Examples would be a sort of Total Recall like reveal that the character's whole life is a lie, the Spider clone saga and the like. The reader response to the Spider clone issue, which essentially said the last 20 years of comics have been a lie, is pretty analogous to the player response in that sort of situation.

A PC with amnesia (that the player has chosen) is a different matter as to me that player is sending a signal that the GM has carte blanche.

Obviously a lot of players are perfectly happy to be 'screwed with'. But a large number aren't. I would never assume a player falls into the former camp without asking.

Rep for you.