Extra Sticky?

Yamo

From the Rules FAQ:

Q: Character C touches Character B. Character B previously touched Character A, who’s affected by a Sticky attack, and thus became affected by the attack himself. Does the Sticky effect carry through the “chain†to affect Character C?

A: No. To be affected by a Sticky attack, a character has to touch the character targeted with the original attack.

Um, okay. I don't like that ruling, but okay.

So the question is this: How would I legally build an attack like the one described? I'm thinking of an attack that works kind of like a contagious disease, where anyone exposed became a "carrier" and would pass it on to anyone that that passed within a few feet ad infinitum.

Is this possible, or would I need some kind of new "Extra Sticky" Advantage?;)

Regular or Extra Sticky?

I would go with the +1/4 for each level, since it's basically, (using Entangle as example) (Entangle, Sticky (+1/4)), Sticky (+1/4). The problem is that it gets out of control quickly as more and more levels are added.

The same note could be used for Usable By Others to send powers from hero to hero in a chain. :)

Here's a thought experiment:

Start with an 80 base cost Entangle.

Add Sticky (+1/2) for +40 points.

Now, the Entangle will affect the target, and people who touch the target, but there's no second-hand stickiness; those who touch the target aren't considered sticky.

So, what you need to do is make the Sticky advantage Sticky, so it passes on to the next person: +20 points.

Of course, this makes those who touch the target sticky, but doesn't allow third-hand stickiness, so the Sticky part of the Sticky advantage needs Sticky: +10 points.

This continues for as long as you want. If you have people pay fractional points for this power (no rounding up or down), and don't require a minimum of 1 point per power, you can do this forever, and it turns out to be, in effect, a +1 advantage for "Contaigous" (or, a +1/2 advantage in addition to the original Sticky).

Now, whether that's the appropriate cost for the ability is another question, but at least it's a reasoned-out starting point.

Originally posted by Doug Limmer

This continues for as long as you want. If you have people pay fractional points for this power (no rounding up or down), and don't require a minimum of 1 point per power, you can do this forever, and it turns out to be, in effect, a +1 advantage for "Contaigous" (or, a +1/2 advantage in addition to the original Sticky).

Now, whether that's the appropriate cost for the ability is another question, but at least it's a reasoned-out starting point.

I'd say it's a very reasoned-out starting point. That level of Advantage is about what I was going to suggest right off the cuff, and you've just done the math to support it. :D

Aaarrgghhh! Analysis!

*Looks a bit more closely.*

Oh, you're stopping at the sum of infinite series? That's OK then - I can cope with that. The first person to use Complex Analysis as a valid justification for a power modifier gets pimp slapped, though.

Michael

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Use a Sticky Transform that Transforms the target into a carrier who *also* possesses a Sticky Transform that can be use to infect (Transform) others.

A transformer who makes more transformers... I think you just opened a can of worms...

Originally posted by Supreme

A transformer who makes more transformers... I think you just opened a can of worms...

Hey, Worms R Us at your service! :)

It just seemed to me like the logical way to go...no worries about bending the rules or inventing new Advantages. Doubtless it's the more expensive way to go, but I think it would be a good way to cover infectious diseases.

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Use a Sticky Transform that Transforms the target into a carrier who *also* possesses a Sticky Transform that can be use to infect (Transform) others.

My mage has this power in her spellbook. She transforms targets into themselves with the sticky transform. Viral Charm or Viral Polymorph are pretty nasty spells... :)