Favorite Television Characters

jackalope

I thought I'd start a thread for the creation and discussion of HERO versions of our favorite TV characters. Characters can be built on any number of points, but I suggest 150-350 points.

This is my 350-point attempt at MacGyver:

Angus "Mac" Macgyver

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
15 DEX 15
15 CON 10
13 BODY 6
20 INT 10
13 EGO 6
20 PRE 10
14 COM 2
5 PD 2
4 ED 1
3 SPD 5
8 REC 4
30 END 0
35 STUN 6
10" RUN85" SWIM34" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 94

Cost Power END
36 Ingenuity: Variable Power Pool, 30 base + 6 control cost, Limited Class Of Powers Available Limited (Jury-Rigged Solutions; -1/2), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only Out Of Combat (-1/2); all slots OIF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2)
0 1) Cayenne pepper blown thru straw blinds enemy: Sight and Smell/Taste Groups Flash 4d6; 1 Charge (-2), OAF (-1), Limited Range (3"; -1/4) Real Cost: 6 [1]
0 2) Insect proof suit made from plastic tarps: Force Field (2 PD/2 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), Only To Protect From Biting Insects (-1/2) Real Cost: 3 0
0 3) Satelite parts and plastic sheeting make a hangglider: Gliding 10"; OAF (-1), Coasting (-1/2) Real Cost: 4 0
0 4) Blood pressure pump and alarm clock make a polygraph: Detect Lies 17- (no Sense Group); OAF (-1), Custom Modifier (Target Being Studied Must Be Willing or Restrained; -1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Lockout (-1/2) Real Cost: 2 0
Powers Cost: 36

Cost Skill
30 +3 Overall
3 Acting 13-
3 Animal Handler (Canines, Equines) 13-
1 Armorsmith 8-
1 Bugging 8-
3 Bureaucratics 13-
3 Climbing 12-
3 Combat Driving 12-
3 Combat Piloting 12-
2 Computer Programming (Personal Computers) 13-
3 Concealment 13-
3 Conversation 13-
5 Cramming
1 Cryptography 8-
3 Deduction 13-
3 Demolitions 13-
3 Electronics 13-
2 Forgery (Documents) 13-
3 Gambling 13-
1 High Society 8-
3 Inventor 13-
3 Jack of All Trades
1 1) PS: Activist 11-
1 2) PS: Adventurer 11-
1 3) PS: Troubleshooter 11-
15 Power: Ingenuity (INT-based) 19-
3 Linguist
1 1) Language (fluent conversation)
1 2) Language (fluent conversation)
0 3) Native Language: English (idiomatic; literate)
3 Lipreading 13-
3 Lockpicking 12-
3 Mechanics 13-
3 Navigation (Air, Land) 13-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 Riding 12-
3 Scholar
1 1) KS: Stuff 11-
1 2) KS: Stuff 11-
1 3) KS: Stuff 11-
1 4) KS: Stuff 11-
1 5) KS: Stuff 11-
3 Scientist
1 1) SS: Chemistry 11-
1 2) SS: Foresty 11-
1 3) SS: General Science Trivia 11-
1 4) SS: Mechanical Physics 11-
1 5) SS: Metallurgy 11-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Sleight Of Hand 12-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Survival 13-
3 Systems Operation 13-
23 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Riding Animals, Agricultural & Construction Vehicles, Balloons & Zeppelins, Hanggliding, Helicopters, Jetskis, Large Motorized Boats, Large Wind-Powered Boats, Parachuting, Basic, Railed Vehicles, SCUBA, Skiing (snow), Skiing (water), Sleds, Small Motorized Boats, Small Planes, Small Rowed Boats, Small Wind-Powered Boats, Snowmobiles, Surfing, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Windsurfing
3 Tactics 13-
3 Tracking 13-
3 Traveler
1 1) AK 11-
1 2) AK 11-
1 3) AK 11-
1 4) AK 11-
1 5) AK 11-
Skills Cost: 200

Cost Perk
10 Contact: Pete Thorton, Phoenix Foundation Director (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) 15-
4 Fringe Benefit: International Driver's License, Passport, Private Investigator License
6 Reputation: Expert Troubleshooter (Government Types) 8-, +6/+6d6
Perks Cost: 20

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima
15 Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: Peaceful (Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Hero (Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Hates Orthodox Solutions (Common, Total)
10 Dependent NPC: Jack Dalton 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
15 Dependent NPC: Penny Parker 8- (Incompetent)
15 Hunted: Murdoc 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: US Government 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
10 Social Limitation: Subject to Nonbinding Orders (Frequently, Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 140

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 10

Total Experience Available: 10

Experience Unspent: 0

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite Television Characters

FUN!! I'm going to have to give this some thought. I've never really converted a character to Hero. Now I just need to find one I'm interested in converting.

One thing I noticed...and not to nitpick...but us physicists have to stick together. MacGyver was a physicist. There are quite a few episodes, one that was on just the other day where an ex (she was blonde) called Mac because she knew something and someone killed her boss and blew up her car (that was about all I watched). She even made mention of the fact that he wasn't doing the "physics thing" anymore.

Oh, oh! There was another episode on (can you tell I'm off work?) the other day. Mac was helping test the security system on some underground labby thing. The computer took control and was trying to kill him and another blonde (sheesh, can you tell it was the 80s?). She also mentioned his vast background in physics.

So, what all this is coming to as that you should give Mac a pretty choice Physics SS. I say pretty high, because he should be able to handle any common penalties for a non-specific specialty without too much problems.

One thing I noticed...and not to nitpick...but us physicists have to stick together. MacGyver was a physicist. There are quite a few episodes, one that was on just the other day where an ex (she was blonde) called Mac because she knew something and someone killed her boss and blew up her car (that was about all I watched). She even made mention of the fact that he wasn't doing the "physics thing" anymore.

Oh, oh! There was another episode on (can you tell I'm off work?) the other day. Mac was helping test the security system on some underground labby thing. The computer took control and was trying to kill him and another blonde (sheesh, can you tell it was the 80s?). She also mentioned his vast background in physics.

So, what all this is coming to as that you should give Mac a pretty choice Physics SS. I say pretty high, because he should be able to handle any common penalties for a non-specific specialty without too much problems.

Nitpicking is fine, especially when it's a supported nitpick. I agree, he shoudl have SS: Physics, probably Based on Int (with his overall levels, that would give him a base roll of 17-, which is Really Freaking Good).

OK, I'll play.

From Babylon 5, circa season 2 (before he spent all his XP on contacts, favors & wealth and developed a hatred of PsiCorp)

Michael Garabauldi

Val** Char*** Cost
10** STR 0
13** DEX 9
14** CON 8
10** BODY 0
13** INT 3
10** EGO 0
15** PRE 5
10** COM 0
4** PD 2
3** ED 0
3** SPD 7
5** REC 0
28** END 0
26** STUN 4
*6"**RUN02"**SWIM02"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 38

Cost** Skill
0** Acting 8-*
5** Bureaucratics 13-*
0** Climbing 8-*
3** Combat Piloting 12-*
6** Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Hacking and Computer Security, Military Computers) 12-*
0** Concealment 8-*
0** Conversation 8-*
5** Criminology 13-*
3** Cryptography 12-*
5** Deduction 13-*
3** Electronics 12-*
4** CK: Babylon 5 Station 13-*
0** Paramedics 8-*
0** Persuasion 8-*
2** PS: GROPO 11-*
5** PS: Security Chief 14-*
7** Security Systems 14-*
3** Shadowing 12-*
0** Stealth 8-*
5** Streetwise 13-*
5** Systems Operation (Communications Systems, Environmental Systems, Sensor Jamming Equipment) 12-*
3** Tactics 12-*
1** TF: Starfury*
2** Weaponsmith (one category) (Energy Weapons) 12-*
6** WF (6 points' worth): Beam Weapons, Heavy Energy Weapons, Handguns, Starfury Weapons*
8** +1 with All Combat*
Skills Cost: 81

Cost** Perk
3** Access*
1** Fringe Benefit: Weapon Permit (B5 is supposedly weapon-free)*
3** Fringe Benefit: Head of Station Security*
2** Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers*
Perks Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 128

Val** Disadvantages
5** Distinctive Features: Earthforce Security Uniform Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses*
15** Psychological Limitation: Committed to Justice (Common, Strong)*
10** Psychological Limitation: Paranoid and Suspicious (Common, Moderate)*
5** Psychological Limitation: Recovered Alchoholic (Uncommon, Moderate)*
15** Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Occasionally - He is high ranking, Severe)*

Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 50

Experience Required: 28

Total Experience Available: 28

Mr. Garabauldi is a normal. He is very good at what he does, but is not considered supernaturally so. In his campaign he does not pay points for equipment, but generally carries a Link (Radio listen/Transmit) and his PPG (2d6RKA, Reduced Pen, 2 clips of 12 Charges)

Nice, not very familliar with the show, so I don't know how accurate it is, but nice.

What's with all the ** though? I've noticed a couple of people do that (or maybe it's always you and I didn't notice). I keep looking to the bottom of the page to find out what the ** refers to, but it looks like you're using them as spacers?

Nice, not very familliar with the show, so I don't know how accurate it is, but nice.

What's with all the ** though? I've noticed a couple of people do that (or maybe it's always you and I didn't notice). I keep looking to the bottom of the page to find out what the ** refers to, but it looks like you're using them as spacers?

Herodesigner 2 comes with a "hero boards" export template that generates an HTML file that can be cut and pasted onto the boards while retaining all it's formatting. THat template generates all the **s. I don't really like the look either, but it's quick and easy.

Herodesigner 2 comes with a "hero boards" export template that generates an HTML file that can be cut and pasted onto the boards while retaining all it's formatting. THat template generates all the **s. I don't really like the look either' date=' but it's quick and easy.[/quote']

What version are you running? Because I use HD2, and the Hero Boards export template, and I don't get that kind of output.

Kind of an odd one here, but I haven't finished the rest of the cast yet, and she was the easiest to do. This is River Tam from Fireflly. If you are unfamilliar with the show, she is the DNPC of the ship's doctor, Simon Tam, he rolder brother. He rescued her from an Alliance (think Empire) medical facility where they were performing brain augmentation experiments. She has weak psychic powers, and spends most of her time babbling incoherently and freaking out. But anyone who is paying close attention might pick up the fact that she frequently is describing events that are about to occur.

River Tam

Player: DNPC

Val Char Cost
8 STR -2
11 DEX 3
8 CON -4
8 BODY -4
30 INT 30
11 EGO 2
8 PRE -2
14 COM 2
2 PD 0
2 ED 0
2 SPD 0
4 REC 0
16 END 0
16 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM01 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 25

Cost Power END
9 Latent Precognition: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition Only (-1), Vague and Unclear (-1/2) 4
6 Latent Telepath: Telepathy 4d6; No Conscious Control (-2), Receive Only (-1/2) 2
Powers Cost: 15

Cost Skill
1 SS: General Science (INT-based) 8-
3 Concealment 15-
3 Cryptography 15-
3 Stealth 11-
Skills Cost: 10

Total Character Cost: 50

Val Disadvantages
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima
20 Confused: Stress (Common), go 11-, recover 11-
15 Hunted: The Alliance 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)
25 Psychological Limitation: Schitzophrenic (Very Common, Total)
10 Psychological Limitation: Coward (Common, Moderate)

Disadvantage Points: 70

Base Points: 0

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Here's another member of the Firefly cast, Serenity's Captain Malcom "Mal" Reynolds.

Captain Malcom Reynolds

Player: NPC Starship Captain

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
14 DEX 12
13 CON 6
10 BODY 0
15 INT 5
14 EGO 8
20 PRE 10
16 COM 3
6 PD 3
6 ED 3
4 SPD 16
8 REC 4
30 END 2
30 STUN 6
8" RUN42" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 85

Cost Skill
3 Bureaucratics 13-
3 Combat Driving 12-
3 Leadership 13-
2 PS: Captain 11-
3 Paramedics 12-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 Riding 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Streetwise 13-
0 TF: Equines
0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 Tactics 12-
3 Teamwork 12-
3 Trading 13-
3 +1 with Persuassion, Streetwise, Trading
Combat Skills
8 1) +1 with All Combat
5 2) +1 with Ranged Combat
3 3) Fast Draw 12-
5 4) Rapid Attack (Ranged)
6 5) WF: Beam Weapons, Emplaced Weapons, Small Arms
Skills Cost: 65

Total Character Cost: 150

Val Disadvantages
10 Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Wild West Hero (Common, Moderate)
25 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Crew (Very Common, Total)
10 Rivalry: Romantic (Inara the Courteasean; Rival is As Powerful; Rival is a Player Character; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
15 Social Limitation: Fought On Wrong Side Of The War (Frequently, Major)
5 Unluck: 1d6

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

What version are you running? Because I use HD2' date=' and the Hero Boards export template, and I don't get that kind of output.[/quote']

The **** happpen when you edit. If you need to edit something do it outside of the forum and then re-paste the whole thing in - that should fix the *** blues.

I like your take on River Tam, but I'd add a small skill VPP with No Concious Control at the -1 level for her sudden perfect Acting and Mimicry skills, her sudden encyclopedic knowledge of Firefly class ships, her WF: Firearms, and the other skills she uses for one scene and never shows again. Probably she should have 5 or more Overall Levels as well with NCC at -1, as she is very, very good with that gun in the one and only scene where she gets to use it.

I like your take on River Tam' date=' but I'd add a small skill VPP with No Concious Control at the -1 level for her sudden perfect Acting and Mimicry skills, her sudden encyclopedic knowledge of Firefly class ships, her WF: Firearms, and the other skills she uses for one scene and never shows again. Probably she should have 5 or more Overall Levels as well with NCC at -1, as she is very, very good with that gun in the one and only scene where she gets to use it.[/quote']

That's all stuff I would GM had-wave, since she's not a PC.

I was thinking about writing up an alternate PC version.

Here's Inara, also from Firefly. She is a Companion, essentially a courtesean or highly skilled prostitute.

Inara

Player: PC

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
16 DEX 18
14 CON 8
10 BODY 0
18 INT 8
13 EGO 6
20/30 PRE 10
23 COM 7
2 PD 0
2 ED -1
3 SPD 4
6 REC 2
30 END 1
25 STUN 3
8" RUN42" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 70

Cost Power END
4 Seduce: +10 PRE; Only Works On Straight Men and Lesbian Women (-1), Requires A Seduction Roll And A COM Roll (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 4

Cost Skill
Companion Training
3 1) Acting 13- (15-)
3 2) Bureaucratics 13- (15-)
3 3) Conversation 13- (15-)
3 4) High Society 13- (15-)
2 5) KS: Art 11-
2 6) KS: Companion Ceremonies 11-
2 7) KS: Erotic Techniques 11-
2 8) KS: History 11-
2 9) KS: Philosophy 11-
3 10) Persuasion 13- (15-)
5 11) PS: Companion (PRE-based) 15- (17-)
7 12) Seduction 15- (17-)
15 13) +3 with PRE Skills
2 WF: Blades, Handguns
3 Lipreading 13-
3 Deduction 13-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Concealment 13-
Science Fiction
0 1) AK: Inner Rim 8-
0 2) Climbing 8-
0 3) Computer Programming 8-
0 4) Native Language (idiomatic; Literate) (4 Active Points)
0 5) Paramedics 8-
0 6) TF: Personal-Use Spacecraft
Skills Cost: 69

Cost Perk
2 Reputation: Highly Skilled Companion (Elites) 8-, +2/+2d6
1 Fringe Benefit: Companion License
5 Money: Well Off
Perks Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 151

Val Disadvantages
15 Social Limitation: Companion (Frequently, Major)
5 Reputation: Whore, 8-
20 Psychological Limitation: Protective of the Weak (Very Common, Strong)
20 Social Limitation: Harmful Secret (Frequently, Severe)
5 Rivalry: Romantic (Captain Malcom Reynolds; Rival is As Powerful; Rival is a Player Character; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Unaware of Rivalry)
10 Distinctive Features: Stunningly Beautiful (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Virtually Everyone)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 1

Total Experience Available: 1

Firefly. It rings a bell but I never saw it. Was it something about a group of astronauts who went into space' date=' something happened and they came down to a very changed earth? On Showtime maybe?[/quote']

No, it was a Space Cowboy show from Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy. There was a civil war, and Captain Mal and his first mate Zoe fought on the wrong side of it. They lost, bought a Firefly Class starship, named it Serenity, and became freebooters, running around on the frinegs of human space, stealing, bootlegging, etc. In addition to mal and Zoe, there's Wash, Zoe's pilot husband; Kaylee, the engineer; Jayne, a blackhearted rogue/combat monkey; Shepard Book, a preacher with a mysterious past; Inara, a high class prostitute who rents one of Serenity's shuttles; and Simon and River Tam, a doctor and his little sister, the sister was the victim of the experiments by the Blue Sun Group (evil corporation in league with the Alliance), and both have a price on their head. It had no aliens, very low-tech, a strong Western vibe, everyone swore in Chinese, and lasted 13 episodes. It's available on DVD, and very cool.

No' date=' it was a Space Cowboy show from Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy. There was a civil war, and Captain Mal and his first mate Zoe fought on the wrong side of it. They lost, bought a [b']Firefly[/b] Class starship, named it Serenity, and became freebooters, running around on the frinegs of human space, stealing, bootlegging, etc. In addition to mal and Zoe, there's Wash, Zoe's pilot husband; Kaylee, the engineer; Jayne, a blackhearted rogue/combat monkey; Shepard Book, a preacher with a mysterious past; Inara, a high class prostitute who rents one of Serenity's shuttles; and Simon and River Tam, a doctor and his little sister, the sister was the victim of the experiments by the Blue Sun Group (evil corporation in league with the Alliance), and both have a price on their head. It had no aliens, very low-tech, a strong Western vibe, everyone swore in Chinese, and lasted 13 episodes. It's available on DVD, and very cool.

Sounds REALLY cool. Not quite sure how I missed it. I must have had something RL going on. Ah well. Maybe I'll go see if blockbuster has it.

Re: Favorite Television CharactersWell here is my rough version of the T.V. Hulk.The Incredible Hulk, (T.V. Version)Player:

Val Char Cost
45 STR 35
12 DEX 6
30 CON 40
20 BODY 20
5 INT -5
10 EGO 0
25 PRE 15
6 COM -2
25 PD 16
15 ED 9
4 SPD 18
15 REC 0
60 END 0
58 STUN 0
14" RUN02" SWIM018" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 152
Cost Power END
30 Tough Body: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% 0
9 Regeneration: Healing 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), Self Only (-1/2) [Notes: No Healing Max (see FREd p. 120).] 0
4 Super-Strong Legs: Leaping +5" (18" forward, 9" upward) (5 Active Points); no Noncombat movement (-1/4) 1
20 David Banner: Multiform (100 Character Points in the most expensive form) 0
16 Strong Legs: Running +8" (14" total) 2
Powers Cost: 79
Cost Skill
5 +1 with HTH Combat
3 Power 18-
Skills Cost: 8
Val Disadvantages
25 Distinctive Features: Big Green Monster (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Hunted: Reporter Jack Magee 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Capture)
15 Psychological Limitation: Bad Tempered (Common, Strong)
25 Accidental Change: Back in David Banner when calm or tired Always (Common)
Disadvantage Points: 80

Base Points: 150Experience Required: 9Total Experience Available: 9Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 239

Height: 2.00 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 100.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Personality: Quote:Background: Powers/Tactics: Campaign Use: 

Cool, that actually looks pretty close. I might drop his strength to 35, since he strained to lift large trucks. Give him some HA to make up the difference. He also needs a presence attack roar, because TV Hulk would roar and people would get that "I just wet myself!" look.