Q: Move Through... with an LTD

GoldenAge

Just for clarification's sake, I was wondering if a few of you could help me out...

My character:

Bastion... is a "brick" (strong guy) with Growth and Density Increase.

Dr. Sebastian Castle was a Physicist concentrating on Quantum chromodynamics, familiarly called QCD; the modern theory of the strong interaction at the sub-atomic level. Specifically Dr. Castle was working on high density QDC and the possibility of altering such primal forces. What he discovered would change his life FOREVER!

The set up...

1. Bastion engages both his DI (30 pts) and Growth (30 pts) giving him a 75 STR. (His natural STR = 15)

2. He reaches over (with one hand) and grabs a pink Ford LTD (complete with curb feelers, fuzzy dice and a fur steering wheel)

3. He uses a full move (10") in a Move Through maneuver to smash himself (vehicle first) into Grond.

Now the question...

1. Could the Grab maneuver be considered casual STR?

3. Would a hero with Growth and DI at Bastion's level still suffer the -5 STR penalty for 1 hand? (If not, how large does one need to be to loose the -5 penalty?) (How about against a normal person instead of a car?)

4. Is this an Area of Effect Move Through (2.5"x1")?

3. What is Bastions OCV penalty (assuming his velocity is 10 at impact and that he's not practiced in shoving cars into green behemoths)?

4. What is Bastion's DCV penalty?

5. What extra damage would the LTD lend to Bastion's natural 15d6 attack (14d6 if we penalize him for using one arm)?

6. Assuming Grond is knocked down, what damage does the LTD take? What if he's still standing?

7. After the LTD takes damage, what damage would get through to Bastion (With Grond knocked down and without)?

8. Anything else I should be aware of?

I'm using 5th Edition rules.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Re: Q: Move Through... with an LTD

snip...

1. Bastion engages both his DI (30 pts) and Growth (30 pts) giving him a 75 STR. (His natural STR = 15)

2. He reaches over (with one hand) and grabs a pink Ford LTD (complete with curb feelers, fuzzy dice and a fur steering wheel)

3. He uses a full move (10") in a Move Through maneuver to smash himself (vehicle first) into Grond.

Now the question...

2. Would a hero with Growth and DI at Bastion's level still suffer the -5 STR penalty for 1 hand? (If not, how large does one need to be to loose the -5 penalty?) (How about against a normal person instead of a car?)
  3. Is this an Area of Effect Move Through (2.5"x1")?
  4. What is Bastions OCV penalty (assuming his velocity is 10 at impact and that he's not practiced in shoving cars into green behemoths)?
  5. What is Bastion's DCV penalty?
  6. What extra damage would the LTD lend to Bastion's natural 15d6 attack (14d6 if we penalize him for using one arm)?
  7. Assuming Grond is knocked down, what damage does the LTD take? What if he's still standing?
  8. After the LTD takes damage, what damage would get through to Bastion (With Grond knocked down and without)?
  9. Anything else I should be aware of?

edited and snipped....

1. No. Grab is an attack action and is not a legal use of Casual Strength.
  2. GM's option
  3. Growth does not make an attack AOE by default. The GM can of course allow on a case by case basis maybe by employing a Bricks Tricks roll. The books indicate that you should pay points if you want to do that consistently.
  4. The normal ones for performing a Movethrough or the combined penalties of Grab-by + Movethrough if he wants to grab the car the same phase.
  5. Ditto.
  6. Based on the body and def of a large car. It could only do a maximum of about 16-18 d6 if thrown so it should at the most only add the difference ( 1-3 d6) to his attack.
  7. This is really an issue of drama. The car is likely going to be destroyed. How much damage it keeps you from taking is iffy since you A) did not pay points for it as an attack B) did not pay points for it as a weapon familiarity. Any reduction of the damage would only be a result of the crumpling of the car between you and Grond and this in turn would lessen the effect on Grond as well.
  8. See # 7 above.
  9. I Strongly recommend buying The Ultimate Brick which answers many of these questions in more detail.

HM

Just for clarification's sake, I was wondering if a few of you could help me out...

My character:

Bastion... is a "brick" (strong guy) with Growth and Density Increase.

Dr. Sebastian Castle was a Physicist concentrating on Quantum chromodynamics, familiarly called QCD; the modern theory of the strong interaction at the sub-atomic level. Specifically Dr. Castle was working on high density QDC and the possibility of altering such primal forces. What he discovered would change his life FOREVER!

The set up...

Now the question...

3. Would a hero with Growth and DI at Bastion's level still suffer the -5 STR penalty for 1 hand? (If not, how large does one need to be to loose the -5 penalty?) (How about against a normal person instead of a car?)

4. Is this an Area of Effect Move Through (2.5"x1")?

3. What is Bastions OCV penalty (assuming his velocity is 10 at impact and that he's not practiced in shoving cars into green behemoths)?

4. What is Bastion's DCV penalty?

5. What extra damage would the LTD lend to Bastion's natural 15d6 attack (14d6 if we penalize him for using one arm)?

6. Assuming Grond is knocked down, what damage does the LTD take? What if he's still standing?

7. After the LTD takes damage, what damage would get through to Bastion (With Grond knocked down and without)?

8. Anything else I should be aware of?

I'm using 5th Edition rules.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

1. My ruling as a GM is essentially you are using a modified kind of sweep. I'd penalize your OCV -2 for picking up the vehicle and doing a move through in the same phase (if I thought about it - I'd likely just let you do it if I didn't stop and think about it).

2. Bah! No. I wouldn't bother in this case.

3. You are plowing through hexes using a vehicle. Yes, it's an area affect move through. No, you don't have to spend points to do that... unless you carry a car with you everywhere you go.

4. OCV - v/5 + -2 from the "sweep"

5. DCV -3: Of course, you might get partial coverage bonuses depending on where someone is attacking you from. :)

6. Nothing. It would just make it easier for him to hit with and would cushion him from a damage shield. The vehicle is a bit awkward. Also, the vehicle won't do more dice than it's body and defense added together.

7. LTD takes the same amount of damage as Grond if Grond doesn't fall over.

8. Bastion would take all of it in a move through. It would be different with a move by.

9. The Ultimate Brick is cool.

1. No. Grab is an attack action and is not a legal use of Casual Strength.
  2. GM's option
  3. Growth does not make an attack AOE by default. The GM can of course allow on a case by case basis maybe by employing a Bricks Tricks roll. The books indicate that you should pay points if you want to do that consistently.
  4. The normal ones for performing a Movethrough or the combined penalties of Grab-by + Movethrough if he wants to grab the car the same phase.
  5. Ditto.
  6. Based on the body and def of a large car. It could only do a maximum of about 16-18 d6 if thrown so it should at the most only add the difference ( 1-3 d6) to his attack.
  7. This is really an issue of drama. The car is likely going to be destroyed. How much damage it keeps you from taking is iffy since you A) did not pay points for it as an attack B) did not pay points for it as a weapon familiarity. Any reduction of the damage would only be a result of the crumpling of the car between you and Grond and this in turn would lessen the effect on Grond as well.
  8. See # 7 above.
  9. I Strongly recommend buying The Ultimate Brick which answers many of these questions in more detail.

HM

Thanks Hyper-Man!!!

Q: Then its always an attack action to grab something, like a gun on the ground, a cup of coffee or a pencil? A character can't just pick something up (like he can open a door) with casual STR?

As for the AoE car attack... on page 253 (Weapon Size) the Hero 5th Edition rules say that something like a car or a tree trunk could be categorized for that attack as an AoE attack. It also gives a second option whereas the weapon can add OCV bonuses based on reverse target size. Are these rules eliminated or changed in The Ultimate Brick?

As for the car taking the damage... Again the main rule book says that the weapon utilized to perform the attack takes the damage first. Is this rule changed in The Ultimate Brick?

Thanks so much for your time!!!

Thanks Hyper-Man!!!

Q: Then its always an attack action to grab something, like a gun on the ground, a cup of coffee or a pencil? A character can't just pick something up (like he can open a door) with casual STR?

you are welcome. yes.

As for the AoE car attack... on page 253 (Weapon Size) the Hero 5th Edition rules say that something like a car or a tree trunk could be categorized for that attack as an AoE attack. It also gives a second option whereas the weapon can add OCV bonuses based on reverse target size. Are these rules eliminated or changed in The Ultimate Brick?
Those stated rules are not exactly changed but suggestions for balance are definitely encouraged since Hight Strength is so useful.

As for the car taking the damage... Again the main rule book says that the weapon utilized to perform the attack takes the damage first. Is this rule changed in The Ultimate Brick?

Thanks so much for your time!!!

It basically reinforces the idea that Champions characters should for the most part pay for any and all combat effects above and beyond the standard manuevers. The situation you described is right on the borderline. As a one time deal I would probably allow it to work and keep you from taking some of the MThrough damage but if you wanted to repeat such a manuever repeatedly I would ask you to pay points for it. UB as well as The Until Superpowers Database (USD) both have several prebuilt powers like this for Bricks to use above and beyond just the standard STR/5 punch etc...

no problem. :)

HM

2. Would a hero with Growth and DI at Bastion's level still suffer the -5 STR penalty for 1 hand? (If not, how large does one need to be to loose the -5 penalty?) (How about against a normal person instead of a car?)

3. Is this an Area of Effect Move Through (2.5"x1")?

4. What is Bastions OCV penalty (assuming his velocity is 10 at impact and that he's not practiced in shoving cars into green behemoths)?

5. What is Bastion's DCV penalty?

6. What extra damage would the LTD lend to Bastion's natural 15d6 attack (14d6 if we penalize him for using one arm)?

7. Assuming Grond is knocked down, what damage does the LTD take? What if he's still standing?

8. After the LTD takes damage, what damage would get through to Bastion (With Grond knocked down and without)?

9. Anything else I should be aware of?

Numbering was screwey so I renumbered the quote for clarity:

1. Grab is an attack. Casual STR makes no difference, in this matter.

2. Of course. One-handed is one-handed, the lifting chart was based off of two handed "dead lift" (if I have my terminology correct). There is no way to avoid the penalty for using one hand...other than using two hands, of course. However, its not -5 STR. While FREd is not very clear on this matter, the Ultimate Brick further clarifies the penalty for one-handed lifts.

Lifting Modifiers Chart:

Circumstance: Using only one hand (or half or less of character's manipulatory limbs)

Modifier: -5 STR (ie half lifting capacity)

This actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Using one hand only gives you a portion of your full STR, not a specific limit. What does -5 STR mean to Grond and why should Grond suffer the same measely -5 penalty as some old lady (with less than 1/10 Grond's STR). In this case, Bastion has a STR of 38, not 75. Still more than enough to pick up the car.

3. As a weapon of opportunity, you could use it as an AOE attack. But, as a GM, if the player has a tendency to use these kinds of attacks frequently I will either remove them from play (eg no more street parking) or make him pay for the AoE as a Naked Advantage with an OAF (Weapon of Opportunity) lim. The particular size of the area depends on how/where the car was grabbed.

4. OCV will be GM dependent but some options: -3 Unfamiliar Weapon (unless WF: Common Weapons of Opportunity or somesuch), -2 Velocity (10" / 5) from Move Through, -2 to -4 Unwieldy Weapon. Now the Unfamiliar Weapon and Unwieldy Weapon are not necessarily exclusive, but they could be...again GMs call. Somewhere about a -5 is about right. But remember, the car is AoE so the target hex's DCV is 3.

5. DCV will be -3 for the Move Through and another -2 to -4 for the Unwieldy Weapon (hitting someone with a car is such an unbalanced maneuver that Bastion cannot spend the energy/time/mental capacity to concentrate on defense). Somewhere about a -5 is about right for this too.

6. Fist off, Bastion doesn't have a 15d6 base, he has 7 1/2d6 (see #2 above). The chapter in FREd (on/about pg 302) goes into Breaking Things. Using scenery (eg a car) as a weapon will never ADD damage. Instead of using your fist to do damage you are using a proxy (eg car). About all you can get is a translation of damage (eg from Normal to Killing). Secondly you have to deal with breakage. A car has 3 DEF and 15 BODY so could be used to do no more than 18d6 of damage. Since Bastion is at 9 1/2d6 (7 1/2d6 from STR and 2d6 from Velocity - which is less than the DEF + BODY of the car) he does his full normal damage... 7 1/2d6. EDIT: On further thought, its the Move Through doing damage, not the Grab...so I would probably allow Bastion to use his full STR (the second phase of course, since the grab used up his first phase). He would still only be doing 17d6 which still would not (necessarily, but it could) compeltely demolish the car.

7. The car will take normal Move Through damage as if it were the attacking character (1/2 if Grond takes KB and full if Grond takes no KB). The LTD will take BODYofAttack - 3 damage (the car has 3 DEF). Chances are the car is going to be pretty smashed up. Its up to the GM, at this point, whether the damage is enough to set off an explosion etc.

8. Bastion will take normal Move Through side effects: If Grond takes no KB, Bastion takes full damage, if Grond takes KB Bastion takes half damage. Bastion will take the same damage as the car (see #7 above).

9. The only purpose in using scenery as a weapon is for the free advantages it can give you (AoE for using a car, increased reach for using a telephone poll etc). Using Scenery as Weapon (SaW) does not ever increase damage, in many cases it will, in fact, reduce the damage that you can inflict because the SaW will break before discharging the full damage. 1-Handed STR is also half of normal STR.

1) I allow my PCs to grab 0 DCV targets (inanimate objects, unconscious people) as a 0 phase action. They still have to be able to move the object with casual strength.

2) I would give him the -5 penalty for calculating whether he can lift the car with casual strength. I would give him full strength for the attack.

3) Yes. Furthermore, most heroes with that much growth already count as AE attacks with move throughs.

4) I'd give him the normal OCV penalty for Move Through. I don't use any weapon familiarity rules for Champions campaigns.

5) He'd have the combined DCV penalties for Growth and Move Through, even if this drops him to negative DCV.

6) No extra damage. The benefit to using the car is its AE effect, and it will take any Damage Shield attacks instead of Bastion.

7) If he's knocked down, the LTD takes half the BODY that Grond did. If he's not, it takes full damage (I might even give it more damage because it's sandwiched between Grond and Bastion.)

8) Bastion takes the full damage that the LTD does. The exterior of an LTD does not make an effective cushion.

As for the car taking the damage... Again the main rule book says that the weapon utilized to perform the attack takes the damage first.

If the LTD was a Focus that you paid points for, I would agree (like a knight's lance). I would also say the LTD takes the damage (instead of Bastion) with a Move By.

If you feel this is unfair to Bastion, you can test the situation by picking up a bicycle and running full speed at a wall. I don't think the bicycle will reduce the amount of injuries you'll take (even if it doesn't break).

Thanks guys!!! Awesome of you to pitch in!

Of course the "LTD bash" would be and attack of opportunity. I doubt that I'll be looking for parked cars during every adventure. However, my players (and myself) are quite seasoned and are VERY creative when it comes to game play. Utilizing a power "straight out of the box" actually only happens a little more than half the time. The other times characters are blowing up gas lines, toppling walls, knocking through streets to drop enemies to the sewers or subways, knocking down supports to bring the roof down, utilizing the environment with STR or TK attacks... it goes on and on. :rolleyes: Add to that the powers these players come up with can be very complex and well crafted.

I find this type of play much more gratifying than using standard powers exclusively. It makes me (as a GM) stay on my toes and really adds to the color of a combat (and the residual cost to the heroes due to civil law suits :sneaky: ) It's more fun when there's always a chance for destruction, personal property loss and unintentional injuries caused to innocent bystanders!

2. He reaches over ... and grabs a pink Ford LTD (complete with curb feelers, fuzzy dice and a fur steering wheel)

Allow me to add a little something to this discussion.

While the game rules say many things, there is one thing to remember, from p.343 of the rules, in bold, all caps (not my doing, that's the way it's presented):

DON'T LET THE RULES GET IN THE WAY OF HAVING FUN.

C'mon, guys, we're talking about a pink LTD with freakin' fuzzy dice and (God help us) a fur steering wheel. This thing's just begging to be picked up one-handed and smashed into scrap against a dim bulb like Grond.

Casual-STR action? Sure, why not? Area attack? Yepper-doodles! Additional damage? What the hey, add 1d6 for the shock value of a pink LTD. (It goes against the rules, but it's all in fun.) Additional penalties? I'd say the standard move-through stuff for OCV and DCV, throw a random minus for an unwieldy, unbalanced object, and roll to hit. If Grond gets knocked back or down, do damage like everybody else said, but have the LTD's alarm go off only *after* Bastion sets the trashed car down. If Grond doesn't get knocked back, Bastion still takes regular move-thru damage *but* plows through the rear window, ending up upside-down in the driver's seat -- while Grond prepares to play "car crusher" with the hero inside.

Before I get flamed, I know he was asking for advice, and all of you provided him with detailed, technically correct answers. But my advice would be, wing it and have fun, so long as you don't have a meta-gaming rules-lawyer player who'll whine or take advantage at a later date.

C'mon' date=' guys, we're talking about a [i']pink[/i] LTD with freakin' fuzzy dice and (God help us) a fur steering wheel. This thing's just begging to be picked up one-handed and smashed into scrap against a dim bulb like Grond.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks BoloOfEarth!!! I was wondering why no one had commented on the actual LTD to this point. Did I mention it was a '76? Y'know, the kind you could drive to a block party with a mariachi band comfortably utilizing the hood as a stage!!!!

While the game rules say many things, there is one thing to remember, from p.343 of the rules, in bold, all caps (not my doing, that's the way it's presented):

C'mon, guys, we're talking about a pink LTD with freakin' fuzzy dice and (God help us) a fur steering wheel. This thing's just begging to be picked up one-handed and smashed into scrap against a dim bulb like Grond.

Casual-STR action? Sure, why not? Area attack? Yepper-doodles! Additional damage? What the hey, add 1d6 for the shock value of a pink LTD. (It goes against the rules, but it's all in fun.) Additional penalties? I'd say the standard move-through stuff for OCV and DCV, throw a random minus for an unwieldy, unbalanced object, and roll to hit. If Grond gets knocked back or down, do damage like everybody else said, but have the LTD's alarm go off only *after* Bastion sets the trashed car down. If Grond doesn't get knocked back, Bastion still takes regular move-thru damage *but* plows through the rear window, ending up upside-down in the driver's seat -- while Grond prepares to play "car crusher" with the hero inside.

Before I get flamed, I know he was asking for advice, and all of you provided him with detailed, technically correct answers. But my advice would be, wing it and have fun, so long as you don't have a meta-gaming rules-lawyer player who'll whine or take advantage at a later date.

100% correct...well not 100%...I don't see why we should wreck a perfectly good pimpy-LTD. :D

However, I think there is something to be said for knowing how the system works and knowing its limits before you go winging it. Besides, IIRC he was asking how to rule on this action! :) He started it!!

Oh' date=' and I'd reward the player with Weapon Familiarity: Pimpmoblie afterward.[/quote']

Definately. And probably give him +10 PRE for an unintentional PRE attack.

Bastion: I WHACK him with the LTD.

GM: Mechanon looks at you aghast, yells "MAMAAAAAAAAAA" and crumples into a pathetic heap, wimpering and blubbering like a virgin without a prom date (or MightyBec when he runs outta sheeps).

Totally agree. Unfortunately, it seems to me too many GM's try to go with a hard ruling instead of just going with the flow and let the fun action take place.

C'mon' date=' guys, we're talking about a [i']pink[/i] LTD with freakin' fuzzy dice and (God help us) a fur steering wheel. This thing's just begging to be picked up one-handed and smashed into scrap against a dim bulb like Grond.

I agree. This is a blight on the face of the earth and needs to be wrecked.

Heathen!! 'There's nothing like the feel of De-Troit steel.'

That's okay, to which I reply:

Heathen!! Quote it right: 'Today, we get behind the wheel of Detroit steel.'

:)

And in the case of ramming that car into Grond, it's aptly put (& deserved). :D

Here's the move I'd suggest...

Pick the LTD up by the front, and slam it down on his head, so that the gas tank smashes open and pours gasoline all over him -- leaving him blinded by the gasoline in his eyes and with the car on his head and shoulders. Then grab the nearest high-voltage power lines and throw the exposed ends over him, shocking him and igniting the gasoline. Then grab the pole the lines were attached to and pound on him.

:nonp:

Good point.

In addition, if there aren't penalties to perform an action (or if there are benefits), players are more likely to engage in them. The main reason I let players pick up inanimate objects as a free action is because I want them to do it more often.

In a major battle at the Enron building, the telekinetic picked up the "crooked E" and used it to smash a villain through a wall.

I've instituted other rules to encourage these kind of actions:

In addition to casual STR, people with TK get casual TK STR (1/2 their TK).

I also allow players to negate OCV penalties for Fastball Specials if they make good Teamwork rolls. (On failed rolls they incur OCV penalties.)

I give Missile Deflection bonuses and Block bonuses for using large objects.

Because of this, my players have started engaging in more cinematic behavior during fights. (Not as much as I like, but it's been improving.)

Back on subject...

For you stickler GMs out there...

Would it be enough for Bastion to spend the points on...

Multi Power (variable Special Effects) (limited to environment)

- STR bought ranged and AE (Planes, Trains and Automobiles)

- Force Wall (based on STR=total Def/Body) ("How about if I put this boulder in the way?)

add powers ad nauseum...

???

Would it be enough for Bastion to spend the points on...

Multi Power (variable Special Effects) (limited to environment)

- STR bought ranged and AE (Planes, Trains and Automobiles)

- Force Wall (based on STR=total Def/Body) ("How about if I put this boulder in the way?)

add powers ad nauseum...

???

For the short term, I don't think it's necessary. As I said (I think), if this is a limited kind of thing, I don't have a problem with Bastion (or anyone for that matter) using their scenery as a weapon. After all, its REALLY genre, and why else put a mailbox there?

In the long term, a Brick Tricks MultiPower is pretty tight. Just buy yourself a small MP (30 or so Reserve) and dump a bunch of Naked Advantages in there:

Ranged (on 75 pts of STR) (-1) OAF of Opportunity

AoE Hex (on 75 pts of STR) (-1) OAF of Opportunity

4" Stretching (-1) OAF of Opportunity

etc

You don't need the Var Special Effects advantage (unless your GM is a much tighter tight-ass than I am, which I find hard to believe :D) since that is what the Brick Tricks MP is all about.

Then don't forget the +3 PSLs with Weapons of Opportunity.

You can also use the BTMP (Brick Tricks MultiPower) for your more standard BTs:

Sonic Hand Clap: AoE Cone (on 75 STR)

Stick out Your Chest and Look Heroic: +30 PRE (-1) Needs Suitably Bricky Action (eg tearing a tree out of the ground)

Earthquake: AoE Line (on 75 STR), Gestures (Punch Ground)

Take it Like a Man: 75% PD Damage Redux - Full Phase to Activate, 1/2 DCV Concentrate

etc

A good idea along with the BTMP is to include an RSR Power Skill: Brick Tricks.

For the short term, I don't think it's necessary. As I said (I think), if this is a limited kind of thing, I don't have a problem with Bastion (or anyone for that matter) using their scenery as a weapon. After all, its REALLY genre, and why else put a mailbox there?

In the long term, a Brick Tricks MultiPower is pretty tight. Just buy yourself a small MP (30 or so Reserve) and dump a bunch of Naked Advantages in there:

Ranged (on 75 pts of STR) (-1) OAF of Opportunity

AoE Hex (on 75 pts of STR) (-1) OAF of Opportunity

4" Stretching (-1) OAF of Opportunity

etc

You don't need the Var Special Effects advantage (unless your GM is a much tighter tight-ass than I am, which I find hard to believe :D) since that is what the Brick Tricks MP is all about.

Then don't forget the +3 PSLs with Weapons of Opportunity.

You can also use the BTMP (Brick Tricks MultiPower) for your more standard BTs:

Sonic Hand Clap: AoE Cone (on 75 STR)

Stick out Your Chest and Look Heroic: +30 PRE (-1) Needs Suitably Bricky Action (eg tearing a tree out of the ground)

Earthquake: AoE Line (on 75 STR), Gestures (Punch Ground)

Take it Like a Man: 75% PD Damage Redux - Full Phase to Activate, 1/2 DCV Concentrate

etc

A good idea along with the BTMP is to include an RSR Power Skill: Brick Tricks.

Thanks for all the help. You and the others have reaffirmed for me all that is good and right in Champions. :winkgrin: