This has got to be someone's team plane

proditor

Re: This has got to be someone's team plane

Yeah, it's pretty in that high tech comic book sort of way. :)

As to dimensions, you could pretty easily scale it out as you like, the canopy is relatively small in overall area, but you could safely scale it to about 15 feet in length. The would give you about 65 feet or so overall length, and roughly 50 foot wingspan. As to the real dimensions? Probably cut everything I said in half and you'd be about right.

Of course' date=' with a 50-foot wingspan, it would have to have EZ-Fold Wingz to land in an urban area. Couple it with VTOL, Cool-Blast engines, and anti-grav enhancements to prevent it from crunching through streets and into sewers.[/quote']Nah. Standard American road lanes are 10 feet wide. Any five lane road, vacant lot or Walgreen's parking lot would work. And any road that can handle a loaded semi-trailer rig could easily support this aircraft. Semis are often 65 - 70 feet long.

Not that VTOL, folding wings, and anti-grav wouln't be cool, of course. :D

I always thought the Beech Starship was a pretty plane.
I've always admired those, as well. Up until last year, I used to notice one flying to or from the community airport (a few miles from my home) about once a month or so. I became familiar enough with it's sound sig that I could recognize it when it was coming and, if I wanted to hurry, could go outside in time to see it fly overhead. :)

From the Sept. 2004 Air & Space Smithsonian:

"A few years ago, Starship pilot Bob Bass was flying at 31,000 feet over Kansas when he received a radio call from a U.S. Air Force jet that wanted to pull alongside. He looked out the window and saw a $2 billion B-2 bomber join up on his wing. The B-2 pilot was shooting photographs of Bass' airplane."

And Raytheon (who bought Beech Aircraft) is trying to buy all the Starships up so they can scrap them rather than provide parts. There are only four in the hands of private owners. I can understand, but somehow it seems criminal to destroy something that pretty.

Guest bblackmoor

Here is all I can find on the "Addax S1" and the "Addax S2":

The Addax-S, designed by IML Group New Zealand, was to be a composite, high altitude, super sonic, STOL fighter bomber. Both Addax variants received a great deal of interest, but lacked funding. The Addax never left the drawing boards.

I never heard of it before, but it does look neat.

Guest bblackmoor

I used to have a NPC who flew one of these (modified for space travel, of course):

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/MONOGRAM%20F-19%20STEALTH%20PAGE.htm

Here is another I always thought looked really neat, but I have never used it in a game:

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/TESTORS%20MIG%2037-B%20FERRETT%20PAGE.htm

Fantastic Plastic is the Shiznit. :D

They have some really fun stuff in the 50's/60's that looks like it's just begging to be turned into something.

I recently got a Ragnorock model myself: http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/RAGNOROCK%20INTERCEPTOR%20PAGE.htm And I'm slowly and lovingly putting the little sucker together.

Guest bblackmoor

I recently got a Ragnorock model myself...

"The intimidating Ragnarok was created to serve as the world's first line of defense against possible alien invaders. Powered by two atomic engines, the craft had a cruising speed of 8,000 mph and was armed with nuclear-tipped air-to-air missiles. The aircraft also carried a parasite defense fighter armed with high-powered lasers. With copies costing $100,000 million each, the Ragnarok was apparently a good investment since, to date, all alien invasions have been successfully repelled."

:)

Check out this site. There's about 15-20 different sketches of various cool-looking concept planes, plus some actual ones. Just keep clicking Next and I'll bet you'll be blown away.

Radius Design Experimental - Air

And if you're into boats, check this one out:

Radius Design Experimental - Water

A link to the Grumman...

http://prototypes.free.fr/vtol/vtol-8.htm

http://prototypes.free.fr/vtol/tilt-jet/gru698_4.jpg

This whole site is amazing actually, shame the translate link doesn't seem to work. ;)

And some cool links on other stuff, notably some heli's and models of prototypes that weren't necessarily US designed. After all, not all campaignes rely on using old US Recon prototypes. :D

http://www.kulikovair.com/ClayWright.htm

http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/models/models.htm

This is the most beautiful looking plane I've ever seen up close' date=' and imho would be an ideal team transport in a Silver Age game.[/quote']

Minor comics trivia: In Fantastic Four vs. the X-Men limited series from like 6-8 years ago, they used a B-70 as the FF's team plane.

This is the most beautiful looking plane I've ever seen up close' date=' and imho would be an ideal team transport in a Silver Age game.[/quote']

The XB-70 Valkyrie. Would have been a Mach 3 high-altitude bomber. It was superceeded by the original B-1, as theories changed as to what would type of deep penetration into the USSR would be most successful -- the B-1 being a very-low-altitude, under-the-radar bomber.

The outer sections of the Valkyrie's wings folded down 90 degrees, and trapped the supersonic shockwave, dramatically increasing lift and decreasing drag at high velocity. One of the posted pictures has a view of the wings in that unique mode.

The existence of the Valkyrie prototypes prompted the Soviets to create the MiG-25 Foxbat -- and then the Valkyrie was never put into service. Overestimation of the Foxbat's capabilities played a significant part in the development of the F-15.