Converting Vamps to Champs

Stallion

I am interested in converting Vampire Dark Ages to Hero system rules. I would love to hear from you all and any assistance will certainly be put to good use. I love the game, just hate the system. Have there been previous posts on this matter?

Thank you,

Stallion:cool:

There's another V:tM to HERO conversion on Mike Surbrook's site:

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/whitewolf/WODHERO.html

The latter half of the Vampire HERO text on Mike's site somehow got switched to Symbol font. You can probably save the text and use your word processor program to change it to a readable font (or you can email me, and I can send you the latest incarnation of these conversion notes).

Both versions seem fairly faithful to the source material. The second page goes a bit more into all the buying necessary to 'Make one a Vampire', IE all those neat things that the typical Cainite player takes for granted.

Its a valid point that a serious elder, in either system, would be built on more points, and far less efficiently, than a high-end Dr. Destroyer. The one time I did it, it was an NPC, there was a fair amout of handwaving and VPPing, and I tend to just convert existing WoD Cainites to Champions rather than ground-upping them in Champions. One of my basic 'concepts' is..

John Q Normal-3 CV Champions, 3 Dice-Pools to-hit in WoD (assuming 1 point of brawl... which ought to be Everyman in WoD, if you wrestled with your brother)

Ergo...

Make sure final OCV=Dice Pool after buying up dex to match. Buy levels with appropriate abilitys to match.

John Q Normal-2 DCs Champions, 2 Dice Punch WoD.

Ergo, Dice of Damage in WoD= Damage Classes. Potences 'autodamage' feature would be handled by building it as +5 Str, with +5 more STR only to do damage.

If your cainite has a 6 Dice Pool for, say, Telepathy... 6 Dice, 6 DCs, 30 Points of Telepathy. Move along...

etc. Just my off-the-top-of-my-head Ideas.

Originally posted by Marcus

Its a valid point that a serious elder, in either system, would be built on more points, and far less efficiently, than a high-end Dr. Destroyer.

I agree. Neonate vampires in my game start at about 400-450 points, yet they would have trouble with a 250-350 pt. superhero. Though I look for the cheapest way to build things, I'm more interested in emulating WoD supernaturals than point efficiency. I let players have whatever points they need to build the vampire (or other supernatural) they want (within reason), and I try to avoid introducing any flying ubermenschen in tights during play.;)

Originally posted by Robert Harrison

There's another V:tM to HERO conversion on Mike Surbrook's site:

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/whitewolf/WODHERO.html

The latter half of the Vampire HERO text on Mike's site somehow got switched to Symbol font. You can probably save the text and use your word processor program to change it to a readable font (or you can email me, and I can send you the latest incarnation of these conversion notes).

Crud. I didn't notice this. I bet is comes from saving those Word files you sent me as HTML. I'll try and get on fixing them.

On my computer, it happens right about here

Active Cost: 86 for Astral Form, (Vampire character total ¸ 2.5) + 12 for dimension-travelling Duplicate

Real Cost: 34 for Astral Form, Duplicate Active Cost ¸ 3.5 for dimension-travelling Duplicate

It converts back to normal font when posted here but everything in italics and thereafter is in symbol font.

D

For some reason, span tags for various mathematical symbols are doubled up. Snippet begins below

Active Cost: 86 for Astral Form, (Vampire character total ¸2.5) + 12 for dimension-travelling Duplicate

Below I replace the leading "<" with a ! so that it will not render as HTML.

!P>Active Cost: 86 for Astral Form, (Vampire character total !SPANSTYLE='font-family:Symbol;mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>!SPANSTYLE='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>¸2.5) + 12 for dimension-travelling Duplicate !/P>
The same thing happens early on the page under the Disadvantage Torpor, but because its in a table cell the SPAN is squelched by the closing of the cell.

To fix it fast, open up the HTML file in Notepad, then Find and Replace

!SPAN

STYLE='font-family:Symbol;mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>!SPAN

STYLE='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>

with

!SPAN

STYLE='font-family:Symbol;mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>

(Again, Im switching the "<" for !)

If you arent on a version of Windows with Find & Replace built into Notepad, Wordpad will work as well.

Originally posted by Susano

Ahhh yes. This is from taking a Word file and converting it directly to HTML. I need to get back to cleaning all that up. Robert, which ones of these are complete and up to date?

IIRC, Vampire, Changeling, Wraith, Kindred of the East, and Ghoul are complete for 4th ed. HERO. I recently sent you complete 5th ed. versions of Werewolf, Mummy, Gypsy, and Demon Hunter X which I don't think have made it to your site yet. The Mage conversion is kind of wonky (it just reproduces Storyteller's Spheres + Arete system with a big home-made Talent) and I'm working on a more HERO-compatible, VPP-based conversion which I should finish by the end of the month.

I'd like to thank Captain Obvious for picking up the ball for me on this one. I've been without a computer for nearly a month now and usually I do my own shameless promotion when someone comes asking about V:tM.

Also, I'm happy as a cat in a sea-food store to see Robert Harrison skulking about the shadows here. Robert's stuff is WAY more rules faithful than mine and likely more useful to anyone bringing WoD into the Champs universe. My rules are house-rule heavy stuff I did for myself and my players. I'm not done with my 5th Edition conversion yet, but when I am it'll be even MORE removed from the standard rules I'm sure, so help me Long...

(Agent 333 likes to do things such as cut active points in half for things like Summon and Duplication. That just drives other people buggy and shouldn't be read by small children.)

Originally posted by Agent333

Also, I'm happy as a cat in a sea-food store to see Robert Harrison skulking about the shadows here.

Hey Agent, it's good to hear from you too.

Originally posted by Agent333

Robert's stuff is WAY more rules faithful than mine and likely more useful to anyone bringing WoD into the Champs universe. My rules are house-rule heavy stuff I did for myself and my players. I'm not done with my 5th Edition conversion yet, but when I am it'll be even MORE removed from the standard rules I'm sure, so help me Long...

(Agent 333 likes to do things such as cut active points in half for things like Summon and Duplication. That just drives other people buggy and shouldn't be read by small children.)

I'm afraid to layer on too many house rules, for fear that I'll alienate the rare Gamer Who Actually Goes To The Trouble To Buy And Read the Rule Book. For some things, though, I had to make alterations - like parsing out the points given and rolls made in association with Disadvantages, so that vampires with a 10-pt. scale for Humanity wouldn't be stuck with Frenzying (Beserking) only at 8-, 11-, and 14- ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing your 5th ed. conversions.

I'm new to this discussion. Please excuse any repetitivness.

First off, very nice job on the conversion. A few questions that may have been previously asked.

1) Do you have a guestimate of when the symbol font mess up will be corrected on the vampire page? I can't seem to do anything with it.

2) How many different conversions are being discussed here?

3) What is the thoughts behind the WW level system and point cost. Was it just decided not to worry about more costly powers in HERO being lower level then other powers?

Originally posted by SleepyDrug

[b1) Do you have a guestimate of when the symbol font mess up will be corrected on the vampire page? I can't seem to do anything with it.[/b]

Well... Hmm... I just started a new job, so I'm not sure when... but this weekend is looking real good.

Originally posted by SleepyDrug

I'm new to this discussion. Please excuse any repetitivness.

First off, very nice job on the conversion.

Thanks!

2) How many different conversions are being discussed here?

Two sets of conversions (mine and Agent333's). IIRC, Agent333 has conversions of Vampire, Werewolf, a different take on Kindred of the East, and something for the Risen (a sub-species of Wraith). I have conversion notes for every WoD game except the recently released Demon: the Fallen.

3) What is the thoughts behind the WW level system and point cost. Was it just decided not to worry about more costly powers in HERO being lower level then other powers?

Basically, yes, I didn't bother with trying to make lower-level powers cost less than higher-level powers of the same Discipline.

One of the Storyteller System's faults (IMHO) is the way characters have to buy powers in a set order. Characters end up having a cookie-cutter appearance to them; for example, all vampires with Auspex 3 automatically also have Auspex 1 and 2.

Sometimes, lower-level powers are logical prerequisites for high-level powers, but this clearly isn't always the case.

For these reasons, I allow players to purchase whatever powers they want (subject to my judgement about the appropriateness of their selection), without paying attention to the what level the power was at in the Storyteller version of the game.

I like the powers available at set levels trend in the Disciplines. It adds something to know that only a vampire with the fifth level in a Discipline can possess a power that allows him to become desolid.

What I never liked was the idea that the lower levels are fixed and the higher levels have variety. You'd think the lower levels, which are more common, would have been more throughly explored.

In my campaign world we came up with additional low level powers creating a list of powers with 2-3 available at every level for all Disciplines.

I too have chafed a bit under the static progression of disciplines, but we've stuck to it since we want to preserve the feel of the original game. One of the things that's slowing my 5th edition conversion is a new rule allowing characters with certain disciplines to buy new powers based on mixing their disciplines. These "phantom powers" are sure to add more diversity to the vampire makeup. Also, powers that were implied by WoD text and the novels I'm considering. Things like a character being allowed to buy one level of non-aggravated HKA (Reduced Penetration) for every level of Potence after the first. And Potence 5 Celerity 3 might allow you to buy an RKA with the OIF (any small object) limitation.