Analyze Enhancer?

Sociotard

Okay, first of all,

1000 Post Mark! Whoot!

Thank you.

On to business:

Skill enhancers allow characters to get a one-point discount for a given skill. Would you ever allow an enhancer for Analyze? Basically, a character with the Analyst enhancer would buy any future Analyze skills for less.

A related idea:

When setting up to run a Time Lord (Dr. Who) solo campaign, I came up with these since Time Lords seem to have a boundless number of skills, contacts, knowledges, etc.

20 Universal Scientist (INT roll) - The character has at least a basic understanding of most sciences, even the most obscure. A successful USc roll will reveal what particular science is used in/by a given device or the basic principles and ideas of a given field of science. A roll made by a higher margin will allow the character to make Simple (by +1), Easy (by +3), or Difficult (by +5) evaluations/deductions about the probable outcome of a given application of the science, or a way to modify/defeat that particular application. Failed rolls may result in anything from just an unsuccessful attempt (-1) to destroyed devices/components (-3) to a major disaster in the making (-5).

20 Universal Traveler (INT roll) - The character has at least basic knowledge about practically any place and time they may visit. A successful UTv roll would tell them what planet (and possibly what country/city) they are on; a roll made by at least a margin of +1 will tell them what basic time frame they are in, as well. Rolls made by higher margins reveal more details about their surroundings and other significant points of interest of the local, relative to where they are. A failed roll may mean anything from a slight misjudging of local (-1) to a completely inverted conclusion about where and when they are (-5).

20 Universal Scholar (INT roll) - The character has at least basic knowledge about such a wide variety of subjects they often seem to literally "know everything." A successful USr check will reveal the sort of basic facts about a field/race/person that an interested and informed layman in the subject might know from extensive "armchair research"; rolls made by higher margins will result in more extensive and more detailed information. A failed roll may mean anything from a few 'commonly known' but incorrect pieces of information being taken as true (-1) to utter [and possibly disasterous] inversion of the facts (-5). [Example: "Daleks? Oh, yes...gentle scholars that happily answer any question put to them."]

**NOTE: I was tempted to include a "Universal Historian" talent, to include the character being able to know at least the general outline of history/historical events on any given world, so they can know when history is being tampered with, but decided against it; a combo roll in Universal Traveler / Universal Scholar should include this sort of thing already, I think.

20 Universal Tradesman (INT roll) - The character has been nearly everywhere and done nearly everything; as a result, they have at least a general idea of how to carry out just about any task or the basics of any job or profession. Rolls made by a higher margin indicate a job carried off with near-professional results; a failed roll could indicate anything from an ugly but workable solution (-1) to a near-disaster (-5) ["But I thought the poached eggs were SUPPOSED to be served by cleaning them with one's tongue before presenting them to the customer!"]

20 Universal Contact (PRE roll) - The character knows somebody in just about any time or place, since they've been nearly everywhere and everywhen. A successful UCt roll results in the character knowing a person in the time & place; actually FINDING that person may be another story [treat a successful roll as having a 1-pt. Contact -- the character must still make the Contact roll to actually find/meet with the person]. Rolls made by higher margins may indicate a Contact who is more useful/influential, easier to find, or more favorably disposed toward the character. A failed roll can mean anything from simply not knowing anyone here (-1) to an old acquaintance who is now hostile (-3) to a complete turn-around of the attitudes of the locals (-5) ["Dravidia VII? Oh, yes, they all love me here for throwing down their tyrant-king...What do you mean, 'Under arrest for high treason'?!?"]

20 Universal Favor (PRE roll) - In nearly every time and every place, there is SOMEBODY who owes the character a favor in return for past aid. A successful UF roll means there is someone there who owes the character a minor favor (1 pt worth); a roll made by a wider margin means the favor is more valuable or the person owing the favor is willing to go to greater lengths and/or dangers to fulfill the obligation. A failed roll can mean anything from there being no favor-owing person in this place and time (-1) to finding a person who owes the character, but they have grown bitter and resentful and refuse to "remember" the obligation (-3) to the tables being turned and the character being hit up for a favor HE owes to somebody (-5). ["Oh, yes...you DID save me from being incinerated in Belfalitin's attempted coup a few years ago...(sigh)...Now, what did you say your current problem is?"]

How about

20 Universal Analyst (INT roll) - The character is able to quickly understand patterns and relationships, be it determining a subjects emotional state from his handwriting, a style in martial arts, or what have you. A successful roll means basic relationships can be determined (He was angrier than normal when he wrote this letter, He's using Kung fu). Rolls made by a greater margin reveal more detailed informaition. (He was angry at his wife when he wrote this, He's using this particular style of kung fu), and possibly bonuses to other to other skills. A Failed roll means anything from simple inablity to divine anything (-1) to getting it completely wrong (-5)

Thoughts?

Re: Analyze Enhancer?

I don't like the idea... I really can't say why though, it just doesn't seem to sit right in my head.

About the only real counter arguement I could think of was that for social situations I would allow a PRE Roll (or INT for non-social situations) to help an Analyze Skill which is already extremely powerful and versatile in and of itself...

I guess I just don't think Analyze needs a Skill Enhancer all to itself.

I would say No' date=' because the purpose of the skill enhancers seems to be to encourage purchasing Background Skills. Notice that all the skills to which the standard Skill Enhancers apply are the ones that are either 2pts for an 11-, or 3 for a CHA roll, +1 per point. That's my take on it, at least. :)[/quote']Agreed. And there's nothing I can add to this concise answer. ;)

Agreed. Skill Enhancers enhance Background Skills, particularly those that can by an 11- for 2 points. I believe there's one for everything there already though.

I do like Dr. Anomaly's idea of Universal This-And-That. Where's that post taken from?

I concur as well with the group as to Analyze.

I don't understand, though, what you mean by a "skill enhancer or Talent for Reputation?"?? Which was the main reason I posted, along with...

Sociotard, congrats on 1K! Can't believe you're not higher, seems like you should be.

Uh, same thing for reputation. Here, I do the Universal Reputation Talent.

Universal Reputation (PRE roll) - The character has been around the block so many times that just about everybody knows him from something he's done somewhere. A successful roll means there is someone who remembers who you are, though they probably don't really care. A more successful roll means the character is admired by someone, or even worshiped! An unsuccessful roll means the character is dealing with someone who reeeeeally doesn't get out much and has no idea who the character is, or, if the roll is failed badly, hates or loathes the character.

And enhancer? I guess that really doesn't make much sense. It'd only be for games where gm's never dole out reputation with the XP, but the player really wants to be remembered in whatever areas he passes through. call it

one of those faces 3 points. All future reputation may be bought for one point less

Okay, I was right, that doesn't even make sense. Sorry.

I personally have always disliked the KS: Stuff 24- type skills rolls. These enhancers seem to be variants on that theme.

IMHO, If you are going to be able to do whatever you need to do in a certain area, why bother having stats at all? Just use a freeform story based system and be done with it.

Hero is fairly crunchy. It excels in games where everyone has nicely defined abilites.

It isn't so much that having a character who knows everything or knows everybody is a bad idea, its just that it only works in some campaigns. And when you character is almost entirely defined by vague concepts instead of hard stats, you are better off in a game system that specializes in that sort of play.

I personally have always disliked the KS: Stuff 24- type skills rolls. These enhancers seem to be variants on that theme.

IMHO, If you are going to be able to do whatever you need to do in a certain area, why bother having stats at all? Just use a freeform story based system and be done with it.

Hero is fairly crunchy. It excels in games where everyone has nicely defined abilites.

It isn't so much that having a character who knows everything or knows everybody is a bad idea, its just that it only works in some campaigns. And when you character is almost entirely defined by vague concepts instead of hard stats, you are better off in a game system that specializes in that sort of play.

To be fair, if a game allows high skill rolls, that means there are also equal opposing roles, and it differentiates the super-duper from the merely super or normal.

To be fair' date=' if a game allows high skill rolls, that means there are also equal opposing roles, and it differentiates the super-duper from the merely super or normal.[/quote']

It's not the high skill roll I am taking issue with, it's the broad range of abilites covered by the skill/knowledge/perk.

KS: Astrophysics 24- is one thing.

KS: Booklearnen 24- is another.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not the high skill roll I am taking issue with, it's the broad range of abilites covered by the skill/knowledge/perk.

KS: Astrophysics 24- is one thing.

KS: Booklearnen 24- is another.

For the most part I agree with this, but frankly, skills are the one place I tend to flake out when I create characters. I know what I want them to know, but sometimes it seems hard to convey that with the skills as done in Hero. Sometimes I almost wish for a Fudgesque skill system that I could plug in. I'd describe the skill set and not worry too much if I missed a specific single skill.

Ex: I'm working on a character who is a trained ninja. She has a cover as a geisha. Now, part of me would love to simply say KS: Geisha 12-, PS: Geisha 13- and be done with it. But there are so many little bits that I'm not sure those skills cover. She can play the koto and the reed flute; does she need those skills? What about the cha no yu (tea ceremony)? Dancing? Singing? I suppose I could give her a higher skill, say PS Geisha 16- and let it cover the penalties for trying to pull such skills out of her tush, but frankly, she's not that good a geisha; 12- was actually kind of pushing it.

Yet another in a loooooooong series of reasong I'm looking forward to The Ultimate Skill.

For the most part I agree with this, but frankly, skills are the one place I tend to flake out when I create characters. I know what I want them to know, but sometimes it seems hard to convey that with the skills as done in Hero. Sometimes I almost wish for a Fudgesque skill system that I could plug in. I'd describe the skill set and not worry too much if I missed a specific single skill.

Ex: I'm working on a character who is a trained ninja. She has a cover as a geisha. Now, part of me would love to simply say KS: Geisha 12-, PS: Geisha 13- and be done with it. But there are so many little bits that I'm not sure those skills cover. She can play the koto and the reed flute; does she need those skills? What about the cha no yu (tea ceremony)? Dancing? Singing? I suppose I could give her a higher skill, say PS Geisha 16- and let it cover the penalties for trying to pull such skills out of her tush, but frankly, she's not that good a geisha; 12- was actually kind of pushing it.

Yet another in a loooooooong series of reasong I'm looking forward to The Ultimate Skill.

Personally, I'd say if it's specific to/within the boundaries of what she would have done in the geisha capacity it's fine in general to employ those. However, what I'd rule against or apply penalties to would be where she used those outside of that capacity - for exampe, playing koto with a jazz ensemble, or dancing in general (she'd have grace, sure, but wouldn't win any dance contests per se).

PS - but that wasn't to dismiss your overall point. You raise a good general issue.

Get rid of Analyze and just use Skill Levels with activation linked to successful Knowledge Skill rolls. Easy peasy.Then you just vary the level of advantage. For 20 points you can comfortably have +3 or +4 with limited 10pt Skill Levels.

And while on the subject, Breakfall is PD linked to Acrobatics skill roll, Defence Maneuvers are limited Skill Levels, Find Weakness is either extra dice of attack or defence drain linked to a KS roll and Fast Draw is limited SPD. Presto Chango!