Non-Duplication Duplication Tricks

Bengal

I'm looking to add some roughly 80 AP power stunts to my duplicator's elemental control. These should be powers with SFX of "creating/using duplicates of himself" without using the actual Duplication power (which sits by itelf outside the EC).

Thank you in advance for your nefarious and inspired commentary.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: Non-Duplication Duplication Tricks

Well, here's what Division, my 250 point Duplicator can do:

27 Cannon Fodder Duplicates Multipower, Costs (An Additional) 3 END to Activate Multipower

u1 Duplicate "Accordion" Teleport: 5" Teleport, 0 Endurance Cost, Visible Path

u3 Grab Him!/Get in the way!: 3d6 Entangle

u1 On the count of Three... PUNCH!: +3d6 Hand to Hand Attack, Reduced Penetration

u1 Seven Man Tug o' War: +15 Strength

u2 Seven Workers: STR 10 Telekinesis, Area Effect: 2" Radius, Selective, No Range

16 Work Together: +2 Overall Skill Levels, Must Be "Cannon Fodder Duplicated"

Off the top of my head:

Autofire attack for multiple fists etc. striking the target.

Indirect attack from a duplicate who appears at range.

Images duplicating the character to confuse an opponent (disappear/die after one hit).

Missile Deflection when a duplicate throws himself in the way of the attack, "taking one for the team."

Extra Limbs (more hands available).

Aid to SPD (more bodies and hands mean more actions).

Negative CSLs against a target in HTH (harder for him to avoid multiple attackers).

Telekinesis (duplicate appears at a distance and picks something up). ;)

I'll see what else I can come up with and get back to you.

Not exactly what you had asked for, but....

I had a character once who could Duplicate not only himself but inanimate objects. He had an MP with Entangles and Indirect Attacks, an HA, HKA & RKA. Also had a cumulative Transformation Attack with extra time and concentration lims so he could duplicate an inanimate object out of combat.

Just an idea.

I'm looking to add some roughly 80 AP power stunts to my duplicator's elemental control. These should be powers with SFX of "creating/using duplicates of himself" without using the actual Duplication power (which sits by itelf outside the EC).

Thank you in advance for your nefarious and inspired commentary.

You should try to track down the old Heromaker article about duplication stunts done by Dave Mattingly. Some great ideas there.

You should try to track down the old Heromaker article about duplication stunts done by Dave Mattingly. Some great ideas there.

From a cached page (and yeah, I miss "Power Point", too--kudos to ya, Dave!)

Power Stunts

A Makes B Makes C: Not all duplicates have to come from the original. Any of the dupes can make a dupe (depending on special effects).

Extra Limbs: Partial duplication. Covered in a previous edition of Power Point.

Extra Life: A duplicate that is triggered by death (and has enough extra body and stun to compensate for that experience) can be used as an extra life. Limitations of once per day, extra time, and others will likely be appropriate.

Escaping: A dupe who is trapped in a cage can stick an arm or even just a finger through the bars and create a dupe on the other side. The free dupe can then reabsorb the caged dupe, leaving the character outside. Multiple Man says, "It's great! I chain lock all my doors at home."

Hand Attack: A +1d6 per dupe can represent improved coordinated attacks.

Example: Multoid has improved his combat cooperation. When all four dupes now attack the same target, each dupe gets a +1d6 per each dupe that hits.

Extra-Dimensional Movement: If the dupes come from another dimension, the original can likely travel between dimensions, too. Perhaps the character has bought a pocket dimension as a base.

Regeneration and Healing: Some duplicators who create dupes from nowhere can also create the flesh needed to repair their own bodies, and can either do this as a conscious action (aid), or as an unconscious action (regeneration).

Instant Change: For identical dupes that are dressed differently, a dupe can be created and reabsorbed almost instantly (for a "fastball special"), so that the character seems to change clothes instantly.

Teleport: Some duplicators can move from one place to another by creating duplicates in a line (hand-touching-hand or whatever), then reabsorbing from the far end, effectively teleporting with the limitations of takes full phase, and must fill intervening space (-½) so that the teleported character cannot go anywhere that the character could not normally be.

Example: Multoid can use his four dupes to get into a third story window, by creating his dupes so that they are standing on the shoulders of the one before, then being reabsorbed by the dupe up on top. Multoid can't use this method, however, to cross a busy city street without risking getting hit by a truck.

Mental Defense Not When Duplicated: Some duplicators are difficult to affect mentally when combined, since there are too many minds present in one body to affect properly. Or perhaps mentalists only get static when trying to connect with the duplicator.

Damage Reduction Not When Duplicated: Some duplicators can spread any damage among all dupes when the other dupes are not currently created.

Density Increase Not When Duplicated: Some duplicators can "stack selves" and have the bodies of several dupes occupying the same body, which gives additional mass (and strength and defense).

Extra Speed Not When Duplicated: Rather than have the speed of several dupes spread among several bodies, some duplicators can have the speed of several dupes while still occupying a single body.

Duplicator Character Snippets

Here are some of the duplicating characters I have run across in my years of Champions gaming:

Battlebot is a transformer robot who can split into four component bots which are all under main computer control. Battlebot's duplication is bought as hive mind and shared consciousness. It generally starts combat as its smaller bots, then combines into a single large bot if it needs defense more than speed and versatility.

A Billion Screaming Chinamen doesn't literally split into a billion, but there are 25 of him. Each is essentially a normal with a small NND sonic attack that can be quite devastating to any foe that is hit by 10 or 12 of them at once.

The Clone Ranger was once a VIPER mini-squad (a five-team, two spies, a techie, a frogman, and a pilot) that gained the ability to duplicate together into a single super-VIPER agent with regeneration and additional STR and CON. In combat, he'll generally start out as the super agent, hoping that the surprise of being suddenly outnumbered once he duplicates will throw his opponents off-guard.

Double Dragon is a martial artist who can duplicate or half-duplicate, by doubling the number of his arms and legs. He has a high DEX, SPD, and OCV. He has extra STR for grabs and escapes. He can catch thrown objects, and has extra running and jumping.

Isomer is a prankster who has 16 identical dupes that carry cattleprods.

MatchMaker has duplication usable only against others, and can create a duplicate of any target he wants (except himself). His duplication uses activation roll and side effects (the side effect being that he still makes the match, but the match he just made might not be under his control, but his target's). "Oh, no! It didn't work -- now there two of him that want to kill me!"

Mirror Man can duplicate at range from any mirrored surface (focus). His mirror image is identical, but opposite. He can see or teleport from any mirrored surface to any other.

Mr. Paradox can travel between dimensions, and call on his other selves for help (or they can call on him). He and his other selves share a personal pocket dimension as a base (+30 points for inaccessibile location).

Multoid has four identical wearable dupes. When he's not duplicated, he can full-phase teleport, or create up to 100 CFDs as either an ablative continuous force wall or continuous AE telekinesis (or long-range full-phase teleport). When duplicated, his dupes have an advanced coordinated attack (+1d6 hand-to-hand attack per dupe that hits). He also has 16 agent dupes.

Possessor is a martial artist with a spirit living inside him. Described in Haymaker #10.

Quadruplex always has four times normal human mass, either from duplicating into four dupes, or through growth or density increase.

Red Rover's dupes have a dependency (that can drain their duplication) on remaining in contact with each other, and often walk arm in arm. Their preferred method of attack is the "clothesline" move-by.

Replicator was a nuclear power plant worker who got caught in a fission accident. His dupes are always created wearing the rad suit that Rep wore when he got his powers. His flesh-creation special effect allows for regeneration, healing others, teleportation (create a new body at range then destroy this one), entangle (create a blob of flesh around someone), and a seldom-used RKA (create a blob of extra flesh inside a person).

Time Master can summon up to six dupes that cost END throughout. His duplication is ablative with side effects (a drain versus all his powers). The duplication is usable by others at 3xEND. Each dupe has the powers to aid or drain speed, an aging NND, and teleportation.

Ubiquitor is not unique. Ubiquitor is a collection of individuals that all happen to look alike, even though they are of varying ages, heritages, and locations. At least one version of him seems to exist practically everywhere. Many of his other selves all over the world get together for an annual reunion. He does not actually even have the duplication power (just lots of contacts), but does have the duplication special effect of unlimited selves. Each of his selves has mind scan and telepathy only with other selves.

Unity Unity Unity is a pair of minor bricks who combine to become one super-brick. Heed his battle cry, "There is strength in Unity!"

Xerox was a photocopier repairman. A 2d6 flash (very bright light going from side to side) is linked to his duplication.

Thank you to all. He has many of these powers, but not all of them. Some are in-concept, some are not. But this is fun!

He also has a Force Wall (circle of bodyguard dupes), Stretching (dupe chain), and KB Resistance (Army of supes forms to hold him up against an attack).