Flash vs Touch

Corven_Ren

Re: Flash vs Touch

Well, me, I'd impose some kind of penalty on basically any physical action involving interacting with objects. If "Touch Group" is considered to include kinesthetic senses as well, this would be upped to "all physical actions, period, plus lesser penalties for anything else due to sheer disorientation."

I have a question as I do not have the rulebook at my disposal' date=' what exactly happens to someone who is affected by a flash vs the touch sense group?[/quote']

Wouldn't that be one of the game the mechanics to use to describe the effects of really cold weather (like the onset of frostbite)? Seems to make it much harder for Football Players to hold on to the ball for example.

HM

The reason I asked is I am buildin a weapons master who uses boomerangs. Basically I want it to just knock them for a loop, take a look and tell me waht you think

Concussion-arang: Touch Group Flash 10d6, Does Knockback (+1/4), Double Knockback (+3/4) (60 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), OIF (-1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4)

The reason I asked is I am buildin a weapons master who uses boomerangs. Basically I want it to just knock them for a loop, take a look and tell me waht you think

Concussion-arang: Touch Group Flash 10d6, Does Knockback (+1/4), Double Knockback (+3/4) (60 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), OIF (-1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4)

Ouch! But there's no other effects other than numbing them and potentially knocking them into next week?

Guest Champsguy

No, if you're flashed vs touch, then you can't use any targeting touch powers. Don't have any targeting touch senses? Oh well, I guess the guy just wasted his attack.

I'm heavily against the school of thought that says "well, touch is related to all kinds of stuff, so I'll assign huge frikken penalties when my villain flashes you".

Ouch! But there's no other effects other than numbing them and potentially knocking them into next week?

No I didnt know how else to do it. I am only allowed 65 active points as I am building him for a PBEM game. My only Hero resource is the Herodesigner program so....I build using that.

No, if you're flashed vs touch, then you can't use any targeting touch powers. Don't have any targeting touch senses? Oh well, I guess the guy just wasted his attack.

I'm heavily against the school of thought that says "well, touch is related to all kinds of stuff, so I'll assign huge frikken penalties when my villain flashes you".

And, as your opinion that's fine, but it's no more "right" than anyone else's opinion. Try to keep that in mind once in a while.

No I didnt know how else to do it. I am only allowed 65 active points as I am building him for a PBEM game. My only Hero resource is the Herodesigner program so....I build using that.

5d6 touch group flash with linked(-1/2) 1d6 ranged dex drain, does knockback(+1/4), Double Knockback(+3/4), (60 active points), 3 charges(-1 1/4), Range Based on Strength(-1/4). How about that?

5d6 touch group flash with linked(-1/2) 1d6 ranged dex drain' date=' does knockback(+1/4), Double Knockback(+3/4), (60 active points), 3 charges(-1 1/4), Range Based on Strength(-1/4). How about that?[/quote']

Sorry just cant figure out how to do it, it is also part of a multipower if that makes a difference.

As the rules are written, Flash vs Touch is pretty useless since all it does is prevent you from targetting with Touch Senses. I'd probably say that you wouldn't know how hard you were being hit by things; in fact, if the attack is No Knockback and hit you from behind, you might not even know it happened at all. Not huge penalties, but annoying.

While I'm probably overstepping my bounds, I'd probably back up and alter the Concussorang into a Hearing Flash. Something that puts out that kind of OOMPH for distance has to be pretty loud; a momentary loss of feeling from the vibrations loosed might be a momentary special effect that doesn't really do anything.

As the rules are written, Flash vs Touch is pretty useless since all it does is prevent you from targetting with Touch Senses. I'd probably say that you wouldn't know how hard you were being hit by things; in fact, if the attack is No Knockback and hit you from behind, you might not even know it happened at all. Not huge penalties, but annoying.

While I'm probably overstepping my bounds, I'd probably back up and alter the Concussorang into a Hearing Flash. Something that puts out that kind of OOMPH for distance has to be pretty loud; a momentary loss of feeling from the vibrations loosed might be a momentary special effect that doesn't really do anything.

Thanks I think I will change it to hearing flash

Guest WhammeWhamme

What PBeM would this be? (curious)

A sufficiently large result on a Flash vs Touch might be enough to force a DEX roll to keep ahold of any hald-held objects at the time. Maybe.

A lot of the effect would be SFX-based. If a power armor character uses some kind of touch control, he might have some kind of penalty. If a magic-using character has to reach into pockets or pouches for components or paper talismans or something, he might have some trouble.

This is just one of those things you partially have to wing as you go, and hope the GM and player work well together.

Guest WhammeWhamme

For the Baltimore New Guard' date=' run by Thrakazog, in Worldmakers Global Guardians Universe. I am typing him up in case I am accepted.[/quote']

Well, if you don't make it, stay peeled and wait for my game (up next, I believe). :)

Good luck.

A sufficiently large result on a Flash vs Touch might be enough to force a DEX roll to keep ahold of any hald-held objects at the time. Maybe.

A lot of the effect would be SFX-based. If a power armor character uses some kind of touch control, he might have some kind of penalty. If a magic-using character has to reach into pockets or pouches for components or paper talismans or something, he might have some trouble.

This is just one of those things you partially have to wing as you go, and hope the GM and player work well together.

I don't see it having huge effects (hey, it's 3 points per die). Those examples are good ones. I don't see the character taking drains - you want a drain, buy one and link it.

One Supers example that comes to mind, however, is the archer who identifies arrows in his quiver by feel (raised bumps on the top of the shaft, for example). Guess he now has to choose attacks at random - similar problems to the mage you describe above.

I'd also be inclined to say "What's your current STUN and BOD, and pull out my copy of the character's stats. As he doesn't feel how hard he's been hit any more, it's fair to say he doesn't know how much damage he has taken. Could be especially nasty if there's a Penetrating RKA character on the field...

I have to say that I agree with Champsguy.

Even a Normal Flash against Normal Sight just gives the victim penalties to OCV and DCV.

1/2 OCV, 1/2 DCV - Hand to Hand

0 OCV, 1/2 DCV - Ranged

It is not the same as having your eyes gouged out.

It is more like when you are driving and you find yourself looking into the setting or rising sun. You can't see well at all, especially at a distance, but you can make out the car that is ten feet in front of you.

You might not be able to dodge a sudden pothole, but again, it is not the same as someone putting a bucket over your head.

So I don't see a Touch Group Flash making you unable to tell if you had been shot any more reasonable than a Sight Group Flash making you unable to tell if the Sun suddenly went nova!

The effect is just not that strong.

Now if an UNTIL agent happened to pick that moment to do the "Field Strip my Blaster while Blindfolded" bit, I think some penalties might be in order.

And if the Archer actually bought "Targeting Touch" to tell his arrows apart, then that could require a Perception Roll with some penalty.

But I think some of the other suggestions go way too far.

It is like saying that someone who is Sight Group Flashed would get eye damage because they might stare directly into the sun.

It is just "Can't perceive as well, harder to aim and avoid things."

Not "Transform : Blind"

or in this case "Transform : No sense of Touch. Unable to perceive physical sensation."

KA.

As my current character has a very similar power (Except he carries more charges and shoots it from a bow so no str lim) I can tell you the book says the character is at a -3 for dex skilld, HtH combat, and weapon based ranged attacks (p228 in 5th edition)

This might be a good place to try what I have come to call "The Kirby Rule"

Kirby posted this as a house rule.

Flashes give -1 to all rolls for body rolled... so a 5d6 Flash, on average vs. unprotected target, gives them -5 to all rolls, each segment they recover 1... so the sense isn't completely shot... but it directly affects ability to do something.

I LOVE THIS HOUSE RULE... though I only just learned about it, and haven't had a chance to play it out. My modification was that Flash vs. non-targeting sense (like touch, most of the time) would be -1 for every 2 Body rolled... rounding in favor of target.

So a 5d6 flash vs. touch would, on average, be a -2... next segment -1... then wears off.

(I just realized that, based on my initiative system, I still have Flash in the old rules 1d6 per 10 points, because it would hose my game to have it costed out at 1d6 per 5... and that the Kirby rule probably works better for my initiative system than for standard Speed Chart games.) Still... I like this option for Flash, and I think it does exactly what Corven is looking for in his description.

just a suggestion...

As my current character has a very similar power (Except he carries more charges and shoots it from a bow so no str lim) I can tell you the book says the character is at a -3 for dex skilld' date=' HtH combat, and weapon based ranged attacks (p228 in 5th edition)[/quote']

After reading the section you indicated, I stand corrected. :hail:

I had been reading the section on Flash under Powers.

The modifiers you listed seem fairly reasonable.

It seems to me that the part about not feeling damage, etc. is way over the top, for something as minor as a Flash, but those are the rules as written.

Guess all my future characters will be finding a justification to get this amazingly effective Power.

(Just kidding!)

KA.