Powers of a Roman Catholic priest?

Trebuchet

Re: Powers of a Roman Catholic priest?

Usually seminary takes four years' date=' and is done like graduate school, after one has an undergrad degree. Sometimes seminary can be done at the same time as the undergrad degree. But he would have had to have finished college before being commissoned in the Marines. Maybe a [i']wunderkin[/i] who finished high school at 17, college at 20, four years in the Marines (includes OCS), then four years seminary. That would be just right for him to be 28.

What was his undergrad degree in, and what did he do in the Marines? If his degree is in psychology, or his job in the Marines involved counseling, that might have shortened his seminary studies.

I had a fairly similar course for him: Graduate HS at 17, four years at college, then four years as USMC intelligence officer, then seminary. I might have the US Naval Academy at Annapolis be his college, which would save three years. I was thinking of having his degree be in Linguistics, since he speaks five languages fluently. But psych wouldn't be a bad minor, and certainly appropriate for a priest.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a fairly similar course for him: Graduate HS at 17' date=' four years at college, then four years as USMC intelligence officer, then seminary. I might have the US Naval Academy at Annapolis be his college, which would save three years. I was thinking of having his degree be in Linguistics, since he speaks five languages fluently. But psych wouldn't be a bad minor, and certainly appropriate for a priest.[/quote']

Was thinking he would have to be 18 to get into Annapolis, but you're right, he can get in at 17.

Remember to get into Annapolis he has to have a sponsor, usually a Congressman or Senator from his home state. What if he found out that his sponsor had been in the back pocket of his mob-connected family?

When did he get his Vocation?

Remember to get into Annapolis he has to have a sponsor' date=' usually a Congressman or Senator from his home state. What if he found out that his sponsor had been in the back pocket of his mob-connected family?[/quote']Great minds think alike. :eg:

I was thinking that might ultimately be one of the things that ultimately pushes him towards fighting crime. I'll leave the details to the GM, but it would seem somehow fitting that one of his first adventures involve bringing down that corrupt politician. Guilt is something Catholics are particularly good at feeling, and I'm sure he would feel that corrupt politico somehow shames his family just as the Mob members do. But as a priest he can't inform anyone of what has been said in confession even if it's a crime.

When did he get his Vocation?
If you're using the term as I think you are, as in a strong feeling of suitability for a particular career or occupation, when he was about 11 and was an altar boy in his parish church (Something I myself did as a youth when I was still a Catholic). I think protestant denominations label that a "calling" but the essential meaning is the same. (The Latin root for vocation means "to call.") Or did you have some Catholic-specific meaning of the word "vocation."

If you're using the term as I think you are' date=' as in a strong feeling of suitability for a particular career or occupation, when he was about 11 and was an altar boy in his parish church (Something I myself did as a youth when I was still a Catholic). I think protestant denominations label that a "calling" but the essential meaning is the same. (The Latin root for vocation means "to call.") Or did you have some Catholic-specific meaning of the word "vocation."[/quote']

You get the idea. You don't become a Priest because you want to be a Priest, or even that you think you'd be good at it. You become a Priest because you have an honest, sincere belief that God wants you to be a Priest, that you have been Called to the Priesthood.

If he had his Vocation at an early age, Annapolis and the Marines seems an odd detour. Certainly not like the Marines was a family tradition. May I suggest he was always religious, but didn't have a Vocation until his last year at Annapolis? He fulfills his obligation to the Marines while remaining celibate and pursuing independent studies in preparation for seminary.

Or maybe some traumatic experience as a Marine gives him his vocation.

If he got his Vocation after leaving Annapolis, would be necessary to figure out why he's unmarried. (It is very, very difficult, but not impossible, to become a Catholic Priest if you are married or divorced. Most likely he either never married or is a widower. If not too Punisher, maybe his wife/fiancee got caught in a Mob crossfire? Not only could this deepen his estrangement from his family, but but it could be that during some intense counseling with his Priest that he realizes his Vocation.)

If he had his Vocation at an early age, Annapolis and the Marines seems an odd detour. Certainly not like the Marines was a family tradition. May I suggest he was always religious, but didn't have a Vocation until his last year at Annapolis? He fulfills his obligation to the Marines while remaining celibate and pursuing independent studies in preparation for seminary.

Or maybe some traumatic experience as a Marine gives him his vocation.

If he got his Vocation after leaving Annapolis, would be necessary to figure out why he's unmarried. (It is very, very difficult, but not impossible, to become a Catholic Priest if you are married or divorced. Most likely he either never married or is a widower. If not too Punisher, maybe his wife/fiancee got caught in a Mob crossfire? Not only could this deepen his estrangement from his family, but but it could be that during some intense counseling with his Priest that he realizes his Vocation.)

You raise some good points I hadn't considered. Hmmm...

How about this retcon: His grandfather was a professional Marine officer who fought in World War Two? While his father could not join the Marines because of a medical condition, in his large yet close knit family he grew up on tales of courage and duty to country told by his grandfather, and upon his grandfather's passing away in 1995 he resolved to enter the USMC after graduation. Unbeknownst to him, his mob relatives asked their pet congressman to secure him an appointment to West Point even though his excellent grades in a Catholic high school might well have earned him a scholarship anyway.

Once at Annapolis, our hero found he excelled at languages, and began learning Latin. Since the military is perpetually short of interpreters, his decision to major in linguistics was approved by the Naval Academy.

Shortly after he began his junior year at West Point, he found his interest in languages was increasingly drawing him into the study of religion, and after a heartfelt discussion with his parish priest while home on Christmas leave he realized his true avocation was to be a Catholic priest. That would allow him to both help others and use his academic skills. He immediately began the process to apply for seminary school, which advised him he must first complete his obligations to the Marines.

He completed his schooling at Annapolis and served the requisite four years mostly in the eastern Mediterranean, then upon final acceptance to Catholic seminary he resigned from the Marine Corps and entered training to be a priest. There in his second year his powers manifested, and this ultimately led to his becoming first a Jesuit and then a member of the Vatican's secret metahuman unit. (I still need to come up with a name for this unit, since it's a given he'll get occasional assignments from them.)

Comments or suggestions?

Unbeknownst to him, his mob relatives asked their pet congressman to secure him an appointment to West Point even though his excellent grades in a Catholic high school might well have earned him a scholarship anyway.

Once at Annapolis, our hero found he excelled at languages, and began learning Latin. Since the military is perpetually short of interpreters, his decision to major in linguistics was approved by the Naval Academy.

Shortly after he began his junior year at West Point. . . .

He completed his schooling at Annapolis and served the requisite four years .. .

Comments or suggestions?

Quibble the first - you keep switching between West Point and Annapolis. I'm sure anyone in the crowd at an Army-Navy game would be pleased to point out the difference. :lol:

Quibble the second - I could be wrong, but when I was considering the military academies, the basic term of service was five years, more for certain fields (like aviator or nuke tech).

What are you thinking in terms of skills for this character?

Quibble the first - you keep switching between West Point and Annapolis. I'm sure anyone in the crowd at an Army-Navy game would be pleased to point out the difference. :lol:
I meant the Naval Academy at Annapolis. But I'm an Army veteran, so West Point is what I automatically think of when I name military academies. Call it a Freudian slip. ;)

Quibble the second - I could be wrong, but when I was considering the military academies, the basic term of service was five years, more for certain fields (like aviator or nuke tech).

What are you thinking in terms of skills for this character?

Mostly languages. He speaks six languages including English and Italian. IIRC the obligation for five years service required only three or four years of active duty. A path to the ministry through the military is not at all uncommon.

No problems. At least you weren't referring to it as Colorado Springs.

Languages would be good. You might also consider Bureaucratics (church bureacrocies are notorious in some areas!), Conversation, Interrogation (not torture - but some priests are very good about using the holy roller bit to extract information), Oratory (a must) and Persuasion. And professional skill: priest, to handle all the other stuff.

No problems. At least you weren't referring to it as Colorado Springs.
No way would I send him off with those sissies in the Air Farce. :lol:

Languages would be good. You might also consider Bureaucratics (church bureacrocies are notorious in some areas!), Conversation, Interrogation (not torture - but some priests are very good about using the holy roller bit to extract information), Oratory (a must) and Persuasion. And professional skill: priest, to handle all the other stuff.
Hadn't though of Bureaucratics;; Conversation and KS; Psychology might also appear.

He does have Oratory and Persuasion, plus 3 Knowledge Skills: Bible 13-; Catholic Doctrine 13-; Church History 13-, and Aramaic, Koine Greek, Latin, Italian, English, and Hebrew. I may buy him Arabic as well.

I've still got 12 unspent points, so I'm looking for a way to hinder demons and the like in combat with a blessed aura like D&D paladins. That'll probably be a Change Environment. Hopefully I'll be ready to post him in a few more days.

I'm trying to create a new character for a Dark Champions campaign; and I've decided it would be intriguing to play a mystic character who is a Roman Catholic priest and Jesuit. Now whipping up a few magical-type combat spells is easy; what I'm having trouble with is determining what kind of "holy" powers such a character might also possess? What kind of (literally) God-given abilities to combat supernatural evil might a holy warrior/priest wield in such a campaign? Ideas?

Haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but for this type of character in the past I've used a set of abilities with Requires a Skill (Faith) roll, and a MP of "Miracles" that require a Faith roll.

Abilities include:

Mental Def

Power Def

Armor, only versus Supernatural effects

Detect Supernatural/Magic

PRE, only versus Supernatural or Evil creatures

MP slots include:

Dispell Summon

Dispell Any Magic, Cumulative, One Effect At A Time

Change Environment with lingering effect, sanctification

EGo Attack, Only Versus Supernatural

I have come to this late but was surprised that there was a central omission in the powers of a Catholic priest.

Most of the other powers are probably equally true of most Christian denominations. The only one that is truly Catholic has been mentioned in a negative light as confess, the power being to find out people's secrets.

Personally I'd like to see a more positive power - possibly something like Absolution that would remove bad things from disads like casual killer etc. It would have a side effect of learning secrets but he would be incapable of sharing that knowledge - there would be an OAF - confessional stole.

Not sure how much game effect this has but it more readily fits the umbrella of catholic rather than christian.

As for the name, surely you want to use something Jesuit related - their founder St Ignatius or the nickname as God's Stormtroopers.

Doc

Doc

I have come to this late but was surprised that there was a central omission in the powers of a Catholic priest.

Most of the other powers are probably equally true of most Christian denominations. The only one that is truly Catholic has been mentioned in a negative light as confess, the power being to find out people's secrets.

Personally I'd like to see a more positive power - possibly something like Absolution that would remove bad things from disads like casual killer etc. It would have a side effect of learning secrets but he would be incapable of sharing that knowledge - there would be an OAF - confessional stole.

Not sure how much game effect this has but it more readily fits the umbrella of catholic rather than christian.

As for the name, surely you want to use something Jesuit related - their founder St Ignatius or the nickname as God's Stormtroopers.

To be honest, I hadn't thought of confession as a power. I'll have to give that some consideration. But I'd like to think I've somewhat covered that with his Skills of Persuasion and Conversation. Then he can Bless (Transform) the person who has confessed.

Right now the name I'm looking at using is Justicar, Latin for "judge." If a better name spings up I might use it, but nothing else I've heard so far floats my boat. Using Hero Machine 2, I've designed him a fairly Batman-esque costume in maroon and dark gray with a silver crucifix as a cloak pin. It should look fairly intimidating. I'll try and post my character writeup and his costume sometime this evening.

To be honest' date=' I hadn't thought of confession as a power. I'll have to give that some consideration. But I'd like to think I've somewhat covered that with his Skills of Persuasion and Conversation. Then he can Bless (Transform) the person who has confessed.[/quote']

It is difficult to see as a power but the ability to provide absolution is one of the main ones given to the apostles. What you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven what you release on earth shall be released on heaven...

In spiritual terms it is very powerful. If someone is absolved they meet their maker with a clean sheet...

Doc

Re: Powers of a Roman Catholic priest?Ok, I finally got a pretty good draft of the character put together, so I'll post it here along with a picture. Yes, I still have 3 unspent CP. Any suggestions as to what I should purchase with the points?JusticarPlayer: Steve "Trebuchet" Willson

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
20 DEX 30
20 CON 20
13 BODY 6
18 INT 8
15 EGO 10
35 PRE 5
12 COM 1
13 PD 4
13 ED 3
4 SPD 10
7 REC 0
40 END 0
31 STUN 0
8" RUN42" SWIM04" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 107
Cost Power END
35 God's Grace: Multipower, 52-point reserve, (52 Active Points); all slots OIF (Crucifix; -1/2)
3u 1) Fist of the Lord: EB 8d6 (vs. PD), Semi-Armor Piercing (+1/4) (50 Active Points); OIF (Crucifix; -1/2) 5
2u 2) Hound of God: Detect Supernatural or Extradimensional Evil 17- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense (29 Active Points); OIF (Crucifix; -1/2) 0
1u 3) Radiance of the Lord: Sight Group Images Increased Size (4" radius; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), No Range (-1/2), OIF (Crucifix; -1/2) 1
1u 4) Benevolence of the Lord: Healing BODY 4d6, Can Heal Limbs (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Incantations (Complex; -1/2), OIF (Crucifix; -1/2) 12
2u 5) Exorcise Evil: Dispel Mind Control 17d6 (51 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Incantations (Complex; -1/2), OIF (Crucifix; -1/2) 5
2u 6) Aura of Holiness: CE 4" radius, -4 OCV, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Selective Target (+1/2) (52 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. Supernatural Evil Creatures (-1), OIF (Crucifix; -1/2) 2
1u 7) Power of the Righteous: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); OIF (Crucifix; -1/2)
3u 8) Shield of Faith: Force Wall (12 PD), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Transparent to ED Attacks (+1/2) (52 Active Points); OIF (Crucifix; -1/2) 2
2u 9) Bless: Minor Transform 5d6 (Object into Holy Object, Ritual Desecration) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), OIF (Crucifix; -1/2) 5
2 My Soul is the Lord's: MD (5 points total) 0
6 Body Armor: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
5 Rod: Multipower, 10-point reserve, (10 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)
1u 1) Climbing Hook: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) 0
1u 2) Swingline Launcher: Swinging 10" (10 Active Points); OAF (-1) 1
1u 3) Battle Staff: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6 (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 1
Powers Cost: 68
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 35 STR / 20 STR for holding on
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 7d6 / 4d6 Strike
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 5d6 / 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls
8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 22
Cost Skill
3 Conversation 16-
3 Oratory 16-
3 Persuasion 16-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 16-
3 Linguist
1 1) Language: Aramaic (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
0 2) Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
1 3) Language: Hebrew (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
3 4) Language: Italian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
2 5) Language: Koine Greek (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
2 6) Language: Latin (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: Bible (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 2) KS: Catholic Doctrine (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 3) KS: Church History (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
Skills Cost: 36
Cost Perk
3 Fringe Benefit: Priest
5 Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 11-
Perks Cost: 8
Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talents Cost: 6
Val Disadvantages
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Father ?) (Frequently, Major)
10 Watched: Catholic Church 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
5 Dependent NPC: Michael (Older brother, police detective) 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
15 Hunted: Chosen 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
20 Psychological Limitation: Protect Innocents (Common, Total)
15 Hunted: Mafia 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing Humans (Common, Total)
Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 150Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 247

Height: 1.85 m Hair: Black
Weight: 100.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: A tall broad shouldered man of 28 years, Gabriele has short brown hair and a neatly trimmed beard. He generally wears the long black traditional robes of Catholic priests.

His Justicar costume is padded, it's dark gray with maroon hood, cloak, belt, boots and gloves. His face is completely hidden by a black mask within the cowl. A silver crucifix acts as a cloakpin and also glows with white light whenever he uses his holy powers. (Note that while Gabriele needs a crucifix to use his powers, it doesn't need to be any particular one. It just needs to be within touching distance.) Note than as either Justicar or Father Gabriele he will never be without at least one cross besides the one on his costume.

Personality: An intensely driven young man, Gabriele is determined both to serve God and to protect his fellow men from evil. He views his powers as God given. Although he is a Catholic priest, in some ways he more resembles a "helfire and damnation" Baptist preacher. As the junior priest at his parish, he seldom gives sermons and so this aspect of his personality is obscured to most of the parishioners and his superiors in the Church. He views his Annapolis appointment due to mob interference as a grievous insult to his honor, and delights in interfering with Mafia activities in his town, particularly those of his own mob relatives. (He didn't resign from Annapolis only because his big brother Michael talked him out of it.)

Since he considers his powers to be literally a gift from the Almighty, as Justicar he tends to be more than a bit arrogant. Hopefully he'll lose some of that as he matures and rediscovers the modesty that is the hallmark of a true man of faith.

Quote:"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind. Hosea, chapter seven, verse eight."Background: The middle of five siblings, Gabriele Conte was raised by a traditional Italian-American Catholic family. His grandfather was a professional Marine officer who fought in World War Two. While his branch of the family is on the up and up, others are connected with the Mafia. While his father, a union official and shop foreman in the construction industry, could not join the Marines because of a medical condition, in his large yet close knit family he grew up on tales of courage and duty to country told by his grandfather, and upon his grandfather's passing away in 1995 he resolved to enter the USMC after graduation. Unbeknownst to Gabriele, his mob relatives asked their pet congressman to secure him an appointment to West Point even though his excellent grades in a Catholic high school might well have earned him a scholarship anyway.

Once at Annapolis, Gabriele found he excelled at languages, and began studying Latin. Since the military is perpetually short of interpreters, his decision to major in linguistics was approved by the Naval Academy. Shortly after he began his junior year at West Point, he found his interest in languages was increasingly drawing him into the study of religion, and after a heartfelt discussion with his parish priest while home on Christmas leave he realized his true avocation was to be a Catholic priest. That would allow him to both help others and use his academic skills. He immediately began the process to apply for seminary school, which advised him he must first complete his obligations to the Marines.

He completed his schooling at Annapolis and served the requisite four years mostly in the eastern Mediterranean, then upon final acceptance to Catholic seminary he resigned from the Marine Corps and entered training to be a priest. There in his second year his powers manifested, and this ultimately led to his becoming first a Jesuit and then a member of the Vatican's secret metahuman unit. After a close cousin involved with the mafia was gunned down in the street during one of the city's sporadic mob wars, Gabriele decided that it was time he took action and requested assignment at his old parish. His Vatican superiors agreed, if only to season him a bit and test the full capabilities of his powers. His archbishop is his contact with the Vatican, as well as his confessor and mentor within the Society of Jesus.

Powers/Tactics: Being a priest and longtime neighbor, Father Gabriele always keeps his ears open for information on mob activities. Justicar generally scouts out suspicious locations from nearby rooftops, then when the illegal transactions go down he bursts into the room (often executing a presence attack) and thrashes the bad guys. He will not kill humans, but he considers a good beating (broken bones and all) to be well within the bounds of God's chosen champion.Campaign Use: 

Ok' date=' I finally got a pretty good draft of the character put together, so I'll post it here along with a picture. Yes, I still have 3 unspent CP. Any suggestions as to what I should purchase with the points?[/quote']

Humm, English and Italian are his only living languages, I woud add Arabic or Turkish (or maybe modern Greek). Do you need literacy on these?

15 EGO, Ego roll 12-, he can be lead into temptation!

Overall good, looks like a fun character. Hope you enjoy playing him.

The way I usually run things, literacy goes by alphabet, so the Latin, Italian, etc fall under his default (English) literacy. Hebrew and Greek would each need their own, as would Arabic if he picked that up. I don't know what Aramaic is usually written in, but I'd assume he'd be literate in that with what he has in his other languages, especially if he picked up Arabic.

Then again, isn't Aramaic a dead language? If it's only ever encountered in written form, I'd give him literacy in that for free, and assume, if he ever had to speak it, that his speaking fluency would be lower than his reading fluency.

The way I usually run things, literacy goes by alphabet, so the Latin, Italian, etc fall under his default (English) literacy. Hebrew and Greek would each need their own, as would Arabic if he picked that up. I don't know what Aramaic is usually written in, but I'd assume he'd be literate in that with what he has in his other languages, especially if he picked up Arabic.

Then again, isn't Aramaic a dead language? If it's only ever encountered in written form, I'd give him literacy in that for free, and assume, if he ever had to speak it, that his speaking fluency would be lower than his reading fluency.

I'm just using the language rules as per Hero Designer. I include literacy for as a matter of course for foreign languages. As a voracious reader, I just can't imagine learning another language without learning to read it's alphabet at the same time. Languages which use symbols like Chinese or Japanese might be different, but all Justicar's languages use an alphabet.

I thought Aramaic was a dead language too. Actually, as I found out to my own surprise last year, Aramaic is still spoken by a couple hundred thousand people, mostly in Syria and Jordan.

Humm, English and Italian are his only living languages, I woud add Arabic or Turkish (or maybe modern Greek). Do you need literacy on these?

15 EGO, Ego roll 12-, he can be lead into temptation!

Overall good, looks like a fun character. Hope you enjoy playing him.

I considered adding Arabic, but he's still basicly a scholar. (And I think I've spent enough points, for the moment at least, for what will probably be only background skills. It's not like he'll be adventuring in the Middle East.) I may pick up Arabic somewhere down the line.

Koine Greek evolved into modern Greek, so I'd assume someone with Koine Greek could get by to some extent in modern Greek, perhaps at the one point level.

The basis of christianity is that we are all sinners, and inherently flawed. Father Gabriele is no different. :)

I thought Aramaic was a dead language too. Actually, as I found out to my own surprise last year, Aramaic is still spoken by a couple hundred thousand people, mostly in Syria and Jordan.

No way! You learn something new every day...

And poking around on Google shows that early Aramaic and proto-Hebrew used the same alphabet, although in more modern times, it's been written with the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets as well. It appears that it uses its own alphabet at this point in time, which is based on the early one shared with proto-Hebrew, but not exactly the same.