Unreal Tournament HERO?

Badger

Re: Unreal Tournament HERO?

I have a planned DH article titled "First-Person Shooter HERO." In it I was going to talk about gaming in the world of various weapons and power-ups, although, to be honest, I was gearing it more to DOOM, QUAKE, HALF-LIFE, and so on.

My previous work had been on DOOM to HERO, found here: http://surbrook.devermore.net/doomedhero/doomhero.html

I've always been interested in setting up something along the same vein that involved just the HERO System combat rules. Throw 8 players into an enormous map with items and power ups and other goodies, start on Phase 12 and just go to town. :) The trick is developing good maps, IMO, and also dealing with the fact that in FPS's you can't always see where the enemy is whereas when playing on a battlemat all players can see where your fig is.

I know that HERO Games' February Con of choice is DunDraCon up north, but in SoCal on the same weekend each year is Orccon. The reason I bring this up is that each year they have a MASSIVE D&D game where 8 teams of four players attempt to gather the most treasure from a huge modeled castle. It takes 9 DMs to keep the game moving (one for each team and one coordinating the whole thing) an it is still an all day event. It is all run blind so that no team sees any other unless you cross paths and is full of the typical D&D rules raping that goes on at Con events like this. I think we all take what MMORPGs and games like Unreal Tournament provide for us for granted.

whereas when playing on a battlemat all players can see where your fig is.

There are many old wargaming tricks for having blind map movement.

Some examples are - a map for each player, and a map for the GM. The GM has all the figures, and if they can be seen by a player, that player's map is updated.

Fake blips. Two or more counters are used for each character - only the player and the GM knows which one is real. When players spot the real counters in LOS, they are told.

Descriptive combat. Only the GM has a map. The players say what they are going to do, and the GM relays to them what they perceive.

I would try leveling the battelfield a bit ... use 3-D scenery like the stuff from Dwarven Forge and give each person a motion detector, that would allow the character to have a rough idea where others are. I've ran something akin to this in the past ... lots of fun :D

We used to do this routinely, every sunday afternoon for a couple of years (it was called PW, short for personalised warfare). The GM sat in one room with a wargames table set up. Players come into the room, indicate where they want to start, the GM jots it down on a map and then you simply take it from there, phase by phase, calling players into the room as they see someone or get a chance to act.

Sometimes we had as many as 14 people going at once!

I fondly remember the one time, 5 players all decided to start in top of the church tower... On phase 12, it vaporised :D

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

We used to do this routinely, every sunday afternoon for a couple of years (it was called PW, short for personalised warfare). The GM sat in one room with a wargames table set up. Players come into the room, indicate where they want to start, the GM jots it down on a map and then you simply take it from there, phase by phase, calling players into the room as they see someone or get a chance to act.

Sometimes we had as many as 14 people going at once!

I fondly remember the one time, 5 players all decided to start in top of the church tower... On phase 12, it vaporised :D

cheers, Mark

That's pretty funny. Too many snipers, I guess. :)