Sticky Goo from The Incredibles

techogre

Anyone who has seen The Incredibles will recall the scean where Mr. Incredible gets plastered with the growing metalic blobs of "stuff". What would be the best way to model this? My gut reaction was a an entangle , but how would you emulate the stuff building up on you and slowing you down, finally pinning you and smothering or knocking you out? It could also be a movement drain with a linked entangle that only activates when all movement is reduced to zero.

Any ideas?

Re: Sticky Goo from The Incredibles

Anyone who has seen The Incredibles will recall the scean where Mr. Incredible gets plastered with the growing metalic blobs of "stuff". What would be the best way to model this? My gut reaction was a an entangle , but how would you emulate the stuff building up on you and slowing you down, finally pinning you and smothering or knocking you out? It could also be a movement drain with a linked entangle that only activates when all movement is reduced to zero.

Any ideas?

Start with XD6 of Entangle, Blocks Sight; Cannot Form Walls, Only Affects Single Limb. Then add in +xd6 of Entangle, same adders and limitations, and Gradual Effect of 1d6 per Segment. Now get about 20 (or 200) and open fire on a single target.

To be really cruel, make the Entangle "Sticky."

The gradual effect idea works for me, and you could add in a linked continuous NND or stun drain to effect the KO.

Mind you I suppose entangle as defined in Hero would not do the job: you'd bust out of and destroy it with casual strength as it hit you.

Hmmm....

Maybe as you suggested a drain on movement powers, but add in a stun drain (you can do it with the advantage under adjustment powers rather than having another linked drain). The gradual effect of the stun and movement drain would mimic the effect of the globs 'growing'. It would have to be continuous and you could turn it off with... I don't know, heat, which melts it, or a solvent.

Mind you that doesn't mimic the external layer building up...

So....and this is my final offer, a continuous transfer, movement powers and stun to pd and ed. The target winds up immobile and unconscious but virtually invulnerable!

I'd do it as a large AE Entangle that blocks sight. Don't worry about making each little gooy ball, that's just the SFX. Each is like a single piece of shot in a shotgun shell. Seperately you can almost ignore them; together they make one nasty attack, and they're always used as the nasty attack. I might link a suffocation thing to it, but probably not. The scene just cut from him being entangled to being chained up. Anything could have knocked him out, or maybe he was awake for the whole thing (I don't remember if he was waking up or conscious in the next scene with Syndrome).

I'd do it as a large AE Entangle that blocks sight. Don't worry about making each little gooy ball' date=' that's just the SFX. Each is like a single piece of shot in a shotgun shell. Seperately you can almost ignore them; together they make one nasty attack, and they're always used as the nasty attack. I might link a suffocation thing to it, but probably not. The scene just cut from him being entangled to being chained up. Anything could have knocked him out, or maybe he was awake for the whole thing (I don't remember if he was waking up or conscious in the next scene with Syndrome).[/quote']

This makes a great deal of sense. Also if it is autofire, each additional hit adds 1 BODY, which would also be appropriate.

I would do it as a continuing charge STR Drain (~8 charges of 1 Turn each,) w/ maybe a linked Darkness to represent obscured vision. And obviously multiple Glop guns protecting the causeway.

It just looked to me like as the glop increased in volume it also increased in mass, and eventually diminished STR to the point at which you couldn't move. I think one shot would have immobilized a normal person.

Hmm, could Elasti-Girl have stretched out of the glop? Tough to say.

I would do it as a continuing charge STR Drain (~8 charges of 1 Turn each,) w/ maybe a linked Darkness to represent obscured vision. And obviously multiple Glop guns protecting the causeway.

It just looked to me like as the glop increased in volume it also increased in mass, and eventually diminished STR to the point at which you couldn't move. I think one shot would have immobilized a normal person.

Hmm, could Elasti-Girl have stretched out of the glop? Tough to say.

Don't forget you can make entangles opaque to sense groups for 10 points or individual senses for 5, so I'd go with that. As Dust Raven pointed out it wasn't clear whether Mr Incredible was KO'd or just entangled, but given that he was really strong, building the power in Champions would require either a STR, SPD or STUN drain linked in there somewhere, or he'd be out of there in relatively short order.

As for the Elasti-Girl point, I have no idea, but if she wants to give it a go, I'd be more than happy to watch. Purely for research purposes, you understand. :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Entangles are by default cumulative (+1 BODY per extra Entangle) and are Instant (they hit' date=' and the effect lasts until removed by other means, like damage), so they don't need Continuous Charges. Autofire might be very helpful though....[/quote']

The cumulative continuous part is because it seems like the entangle was gaining strength over time; as in, presumably even one hit will expand and cover his whole body given time.

Mind you I suppose entangle as defined in Hero would not do the job: you'd bust out of and destroy it with casual strength as it hit you.

Not necessarily -- Syndrome built those goo guns to capture anyone who got in without authorization. Since he hadn't killed (or thought he'd killed) Mr. Incredible when the guns were installed, they should have been built to capture him. Maybe buying the entangle with extra DEF?

Not necessarily -- Syndrome built those goo guns to capture anyone who got in without authorization. Since he hadn't killed (or thought he'd killed) Mr. Incredible when the guns were installed' date=' they should have been built to capture him. Maybe buying the entangle with extra DEF?[/quote']

Unless you don't care about points spent you can not build a straight entangle that will hold a brick using Hero, even without the availability of push and, maybe, haymaker.

A 60 point entangle can have a maximum DEF of 9. A 60 STR character should be out is one phase.

So....and this is my final offer' date=' a continuous transfer, movement powers and stun to pd and ed. The target winds up immobile and unconscious but virtually invulnerable![/quote']

Can you do that? Can you Transfer a target's powers to something else belonging to the target? Would you be allowed to get Transfer cheaper?

Can you do that? Can you Transfer a target's powers to something else belonging to the target? Would you be allowed to get Transfer cheaper?

Technically, no - it is supposed to add to your characteristics/powers, but it is certainly not an advantage to transfer an opponent's powers to a different bit of him, so I'd give it a -1/2 limitation and we'd be good to go. :)

Mind you, ask anyone, I have only the scantiest grasp of the rules, or of reality for that matter.....

The cumulative continuous part is because it seems like the entangle was gaining strength over time; as in' date=' presumably even one hit will expand and cover his whole body given time.[/quote']

That might be more of a SFX, or a Limitation on a single shot: Takes One Turn To Completely Cover Target or some such, but it wouldn't apply to the full autofire mode, which would be different anyway. None of them had the time or ability to completely cover the target.

Unless you don't care about points spent you can not build a straight entangle that will hold a brick using Hero, even without the availability of push and, maybe, haymaker.

A 60 point entangle can have a maximum DEF of 9. A 60 STR character should be out is one phase.

Oh I agree, but since when does the master villain have the same point restrictions as the player characters?

• 6 months later...

I know it's been about six months, but how about:

Major Transform 1d6 (Target into Target encased in goo; reversed by Syndrome's patented Goo-B-Gone solution), 16 Charges (+0), Penetrating (+1/2), Partial Transform (+1/2) (30 Active Points); IAF Immobile (-1 1/2) (Real Cost: 12) plus 63 more Goo Guns (64 total; 30 Active Points) (Real Cost: 30) [Total Active Points 60, Total Real Cost 42]

Just a few comments as to why I like this construction: Partial Transform lets the GM assign CV penalties or other game effects for parially goo-ed targets. Completely goo-ed characters are just plain stuck, like being frozen in carbonite. We don't know how Syndrome got Mr. Incredible out of the goo and into the cell block, Goo-B-Gone was just my choice for a release mechanism. Penetratring isn't necessary, but if I were Syndrome, that's how I would do it. If the GM allows it, you can have this beauty installed in your own base for the low, low price of 42 pts.

Oh, pausing the DVD, there's one frame where I could count 52 guns but even then they weren't all on screen. So I went with 64, and at that there's a pretty good chance you'll bring down an intruder (unless they have hardened Power Defense, or are really, really fast, or are desolid). You probably don't need 16 charges per gun, but I didn't see much gain in shaving another point or two off base equipment.

Sure you can. It's called BOECV ;) I know you said straight entangle, but I had to say it anyhow...

Another consideration is to build the globs as Summons. This might be too complicated for some people tastes, but here goes anyhow:

Give them Flight or Leaping (Straight line only, 1 Charge), however much STR you think they should start with STR, some PD with 75% Physical DR, some levels of Growth/DI (to represent the way they expand and get bigger/heavier), and a Clinging Damage Shield. Get one of these on a brick, he pulls it off pretty effortlessly. Give them a bit of time to grow or put mulriples on the brick and he starts getting draged down fast...

I know it's been about six months, but how about:

Major Transform 1d6 (Target into Target encased in goo; reversed by Syndrome's patented Goo-B-Gone solution), 16 Charges (+0), Penetrating (+1/2), Partial Transform (+1/2) (30 Active Points); IAF Immobile (-1 1/2) (Real Cost: 12) plus 63 more Goo Guns (64 total; 30 Active Points) (Real Cost: 30) [Total Active Points 60, Total Real Cost 42]

That's an interesting approach and build; nicely done!

If I had to make a change, though (you saw that coming, didn't you? ;) ) I'd make the charges Continuing, since it looks as though even one hit had the chance to take down Mr. Incredible, given enough time, based on the way it kept growing. :)

I would actually call such a, "transfer," a Drain with Side Effects, seeing as the portion that adds to the target's Powers does not actually benefit the attacker (well, unless it is being used on a friend, but then you can regard it in the opposite light).

I would just call it a relatively large Entangle with either Extra Time or Gradual Effect. The fact that it, "slows down," the target could be Special Effects (i.e. have no actual game effect even though the description is that the target starts to, "have difficulty moving at his normal speed," etc.). It could also be built as an additional effect with mechanics, but I don't think it is necessary given how the movie depicted it.

The reason I wouldn't simply pass it off as the cumulative effect of multiple Entangles is that the target doesn't seem to be able to just break the effect before it reaches full strength. The Extra Time/Gradual Effect could possibly be increased in value by saying their elapsed time doesn't progress during Phases in which a successful attack roll is not made (or it could be like a -0 because the elapsed time could be made to progress faster for multiple hits, but whether it is one huge Entangle or several big ones adding to each other slowly is probably just a matter of preference).

I think an Uncontrolled Suppress is the way to go, and cheap.

Goo Gun MK I: Suppress 1d6, Running, STR, DEX, SPD simultaneously (+1), Sticky (+1/2), 64 Charges (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Removable with any common solvent) (+1/2) (17 Active Points)

Goo Gun MK II: Suppress 1d6, Running, STR, DEX, SPD simultaneously (+1), Sticky (+1/2), 64 Charges (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Removable with any common solvent) (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1 1/2) (25 Active Points)

Goo Gun Array: 64x Guns (30 Active Points)

Suppress is default cumulative. So a couple of goo balls will slow someone down but they might be able to use their abilities somewhat but eventually they will be completely immobilized one way or another. I think it has the right effect as well.

You might also combine this linked to darkness that is triggered once the target's SPD is 0.

Goo Gun MK I: Suppress 1d6, Running, STR, DEX, SPD simultaneously (+1), 64 Charges (+0), Sticky (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Removable with any common solvent) (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (17 Active Points)

Goo Gun MK II: Suppress 1d6, Running, STR, DEX, SPD simultaneously (+1), 64 Charges (+0), Sticky (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Removable with any common solvent) (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1 1/2) (27 Active Points)

Goo Gun Array: 64x Guns (30 Active Points)