Help with a spell to remove wings

Tywyll

A character in my group is going to have big wings (think winged-elf). The player wants a spell she can cast that will remove the wings and allow her to pass as "normal" among land bound folk. How the heck would I create that?

Shapechange only allows a 10% increase or decrease in mass, and I don't think that would be enough considering their size. Also it seems to me that Shapechange is really quite illusory anyway.

Invisibility limited to the wings would still have the problem that the character could still fly (and bump into things).

Multi-form would create a "static" version of herself that would not reflect her experience as she grows (short of recreating the spell all the time).

So there has to be an easier way. What am I missing?

Re: Help with a spell to remove wings

A character in my group is going to have big wings (think winged-elf). The player wants a spell she can cast that will remove the wings and allow her to pass as "normal" among land bound folk. How the heck would I create that?

Shapechange only allows a 10% increase or decrease in mass, and I don't think that would be enough considering their size. Also it seems to me that Shapechange is really quite illusory anyway.

Invisibility limited to the wings would still have the problem that the character could still fly (and bump into things).

Multi-form would create a "static" version of herself that would not reflect her experience as she grows (short of recreating the spell all the time).

So there has to be an easier way. What am I missing?

You are thinking too hard. What is the effect? She can fly. The wings are the FX, which might include some limits on the flight, but since she can get rid of them with a "spell," the wings aren't in themselves very limiting. Just buy foulable flight and call it a day.

Guest WhammeWhamme

You are thinking too hard. What is the effect? She can fly. The wings are the FX' date=' which might include some limits on the flight, but since she can get rid of them with a "spell," the wings aren't in themselves very limiting. Just buy foulable flight and call it a day.[/quote']

Caveat: If the spell has limitations, buy a small physical limitation to represent the fact that they will have large wings sometimes.

I'm inclined to agree that this is largely within the realm of Special Effects. Consider this: if the character expects these wings to draw unwelcome attention to herself, that would normally be reflected on her character sheet as Distinctive Features. Similarly, if they're such a large part of her body, that might warrant a Physical Limitation for not being able to fit through some doors, bumping into things in small spaces, etc.

OTOH if she can get rid of the wings at will with this spell, there'd be no need for her to have these Disadvantages. Conversely if she doesn't have these Disads there's no game-mechanic reason why her wings have to be conspicuous, implying that she can easily get them "out of the way." That would just be the rationale for the desired spell.

However, if you prefer to stat out this spell: I assume that the wings are the Special Effect for the Flight Power. Given your objections to Shape Shift - which would have been my first choice - I'd probably design this as Suppress Flight, No Range, Self Only (-1 total Limitation). Other modifiers added as you deem appropriate. Logically, removing Flight should remove the means to fly.

Remember, if this spell is easy for the character to use, that will reduce the value of any Disadvantages that might apply to her having wings.

I hope that's helpful. :)

Add me to the "Just SFX" crowd, as that is also the by-the-book answer. She has Flight, Restrainable(-1/2), and maybe an Easily Concealable Distinctive Feature and an Infrequent Physical Limit (Big Frackin' Wings). The SFX of turning off her flight is a spell that makes the wings go away.

Surely cosmetic transform to get instant costume change is performed on yourself? Or is it done on your clothes? I'll have to look it up in the book when I get home...

Technically, on your clothes. Although the new definition of changing identities via OIHID or Multiform specifies that it's not necessary to buy that Power construct in order to change into or out of costume - that can be chalked up to the SFX of the change, unless desired otherwise.

I go with the SFX lot.

After all she has Flight, and the SFX of flight is that she has wings, so to fly the wings are there, the wings are not Relevant for game mechanics unless she has some disadvantage linked to them as an Distinctive Feature.

I would let the player select even a disadvantage like:

Dist. Feature (WINGS) Concealable (with a spell che can use) 10

if the spell is really easy it's only a 5 points disad.