Weak/Fast tunneling?

Narthon

So... as currently written, the furthest a move can be with tunneling is equal to the def material it can go through? Why can't there be 15" tunneling through def 2 material, or the like? I see you can raise def without inches of movement, but not the other way around. Seems like an oversight, I must be missing something.

Re: Weak/Fast tunneling?

I remember asking Steve that question myself, specifically about buying the movement component separately. Since 1" of Tunneling costs 5 CP, and you can increase the DEF tunneled by 1 for every 3 CP, this leaves 2 CP for each each of movement, the same as buying +1" of Running.

Steve said that the Power explicity ties the Movement rate to the "strength" Tunneling, but that a GM could allow this kind of cost division if it suited the campaign evironment. Here's the specific exchange:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1879

Since I'm currently my own GM, I've been allowing it. ;)

You can always put a limitation on it.

You see, the problem is, a limitation doesn't help in putting the tunneling into the sand/submarine's multipower. to get a "decent" move on the tunneling, you gat a rediculous swimming speed when using both as slots in the same multipower.

You see' date=' the problem is, a limitation doesn't help in putting the tunneling into the sand/submarine's multipower. to get a "decent" move on the tunneling, you gat a rediculous swimming speed when using both as slots in the same multipower.[/quote']

You don't need to use the full points in the pool if it doesn't make sense to, but I see what you mean.

Just read Children of Dune and I was thinking, as I looked at this post, 'Sandworm'. Tunelling through soft stuff (sand - at mosy 1 DEF, maybe 0) but darned fast.

Splitting the power cost into movement and DEF makes great sense to me, and makes the power more of a 'standard' movement power, which has a neat symmetry.

We have always separated out the movement and the penetration parts of this power. We have had Strong Tunnellers (Kryptonian and Daxamite super speed and Strength moving earth and Inertron aside, and Fast Tunnellers (Earth is 16 Body and 0 DEF per hex. I have Supersonic speed tunnelling through 8 DEF (built as 20" Tunnelling 8 DEF x256 NCM assume a speed six PC)

Steve's comment aside it only makes sense that the movement and DEF portions should be considered separately.

Hawksmoor

I've also always seperated it. It makes more sense that way and I have no idea why Steve rules the way he did. With that ruling, it leave out so many possibilities for character creation (like the sand worms). I don't see how it unbalances anything to keep the movement tied to DEF, but not the other way around.

That reminds me, I don't know if I've fixed my template for HD for this yet...