If I can do it with "Jumping" . . .

Sociotard

If a character can mitigate damage from a fall using his inches in jumping' date=' does it follow that he could use inches in tunneling as well (provided he could meet the DEF of the ground)? Or, if he landed in water, his inches in swimming?[/quote']

Well' date=' no, not to me it doesn't. This sounds like a good topic for the "Discussion" board if you'd like to hash out the parameters a bit more.[/quote']

Well, this is the discussion board, so let's hash.

I was envisioning this for a druid character who has Tunneling that fills up behind him, a power modeled after the Aliens in Earth 2. The earth just recieves him. Say he's fighting a flying critter, gets taken up, and falls off. Couldn't he use his earth movement to cushion his fall?

Re: If I can do it with "Jumping" . . .

I'd say that it could only be done with an ability which can be used as a zero-phase action. The example you give is good conceptually, but I think as a GM I'd want you to build that ability specifically -- maybe with a Triggered Desolidification or something.

I don't see why not. Both sound perfectly reasonable, as long as the SFX didn't cancel the effect. If however a character tunnells or swims can't actually be started up in the air they are probably screwed then.

Of course, one of my character is an elementalist who can "fly" through solid stone, which is built as Tunnelling (fills in). The idea of him falling from any height and taking damage from landing on stone is ridiculous. Now if the stone was only a few feet think (or even a few hexes) he might be in trouble when he smacks whatever's underneath it.

If he basically moves through the earth like it's water, then his power should allow him to take falling damage as if he's falling into water. Generally, (in my campaigns) this means that if he's conscious and able to make an appropriate roll, he can go in with greatly reduced damage, assuming no unyielding obstacles. If he's not conscious, or fails the roll, then it's a flop, for full damage, before he sinks.

I was envisioning this for a druid character who has Tunneling that fills up behind him, a power modeled after the Aliens in Earth 2. The earth just recieves him. Say he's fighting a flying critter, gets taken up, and falls off. Couldn't he use his earth movement to cushion his fall?

For a character like you are describing the first time this happened would be a Power Skill Roll, after that I would sit with them and build something, either a triggered Desolid, or just some added defenses only vs. falling.

I would not make this a general rule for Tunnelling, or Swimming.

Hmmm. No, I don't think so.

The rule in FRED just requires that you hold an action: I usually require a DEX or Acrobatics of Breakfall roll: this is really a matter of exquisite timing, but what it means in effect is that you are controlling the fall.

Falling into water does not reduce damage by how fast you can swim, but by how well you control the fall and entry into the water. The problem is passing through the interface...

Falling into water or using your intriguing tunnelling idea does not seem the same as applying jumping inchesto me. I know full well that in terms of system mechanics there may be little difference, but if someone falls into water I would have them make a DEX or Acrobatics of Breakfall (or diving) roll and reduce the damage by how well you made the roll by: say 2DC if you make the roll and another 2DC per point you made it by: say you made the roll by 5, that would be a reduction of 12DC, or say 18 dice from a terminal fall rather than 30.

Alternatively you could say that for every 3 points you make it by you can apply 25% damage reduction up to and including 100% if you make the roll by 12 (good luck).

By the same turn, "jumping up" at the moment of impact will only add to the force of the collision and cause more damage. But the rules work as if Leaping allows for it. If Leaping can do it (defying the laws of physics to do so), then why not other Movement Powers?

I'd allow it in my game, not analogous to Jumping but analogous to using Flight to counteract some of your falling velocity. It stands to reason that a world-class swimmer is going to be an excellent diver. I see no reason not to make the same interpretation for Tunnelling. Of course it gets a little hand-wavy depending of SFX, but that's axiomatic in Hero.

I'd say yes. Just like the Adder Position Shift (+5 pts) should be available with any Movement Power.

Mags

By the same turn' date=' "jumping up" at the moment of impact will only add to the force of the collision and cause more damage. But the rules work as if Leaping allows for it. If Leaping can do it (defying the laws of physics to do so), then why not other Movement Powers?[/quote']

...but I don't think that is actually what you are doing - you are 'leaping in reverse' - if the leg muscles are strong enough to propel you 30" upwards in a segment, they are strong enough to absorb the impact of a 30d6 fall. You are not leaping up, you're bending the knees and rolling with it!

The ground below you should still take full damage, but then it should when you leap too!

...but I don't think that is actually what you are doing - you are 'leaping in reverse' - if the leg muscles are strong enough to propel you 30" upwards in a segment, they are strong enough to absorb the impact of a 30d6 fall. You are not leaping up, you're bending the knees and rolling with it!

The ground below you should still take full damage, but then it should when you leap too!

I guess that's one way to look at it (and probbly the correct one ;)).