The Worlds Largest... Destroyer Base?

Super Squirrel

I was wondering if it is ever concievable for the Hero System, specifically in the Champions Genre to design something of the depth and magnitude of the World's Largest Dungeon.

I'm sure it is possible with Fantasy Hero, but Champions is a whole different thing. I've been racking my brain on this question and honestly, I think the only way it is possible is if it either involves Dr. Destroyer or Istvatha V'han. And of those two, the latter is the most likely.

If you were to attempt to tackle a Champions equivalent of The World's Largest Dungeon, what would you do with it?

Re: The Worlds Largest... Destroyer Base?

I was wondering if it is ever concievable for the Hero System, specifically in the Champions Genre to design something of the depth and magnitude of the World's Largest Dungeon.

I'm sure it is possible with Fantasy Hero, but Champions is a whole different thing. I've been racking my brain on this question and honestly, I think the only way it is possible is if it either involves Dr. Destroyer or Istvatha V'han. And of those two, the latter is the most likely.

If you were to attempt to tackle a Champions equivalent of The World's Largest Dungeon, what would you do with it?

Very nice question. I think it would need to be done as an actual grand finale for either one, though if I were doing the write-up, it would be for Destroyer. For Istvatha V'han (-ahem- excuse me), it would have to be the base she operates from when launching her dimensional invasions.

The only thing I can think of with that scope in the Champions Universe - other than another dimension, which IMO would have too much of a "fantasy" feel - would be the home planet of Mechanon 3000 from Galactic Champions. Mechanon eliminated all organic life from that world and turned it into a gigantic automated factory. The only way to finally destroy that ultimate Mechanon might be a mission to penetrate the planet and sabotage its facilities.

Whoah. Major flashback to that Bionic Woman episode where Jamie has to go into the utility company base controlled by the supercomputer that has lasers and stuff, where she finds the helpful little subcomputer that fixes her bionic leg, but it gets crushed by the supercomputer-controlled industrial cargo hook. *sniff* poor little subcomputer.

I like this idea!!!

The only problem is how do you keep something like this from getting monotonous? i mean in a fantasy setting you can throw all varieties of creatures and magical effects at the characters but in a modern day supers setting how would you "spice it up"?

Even the GC3000 Mechanon setting would get a bit "same-ish" fighting robots all the time...

Daz

True.

I would think a Destroyer might work better than Mechanon since he has no aversion to "Organics". A huge underground complex full of experiments, android guardians, agents, cyborgs, the odd prisnoer, artifact whose secret's hes yet to unlock. Failed Experiments. It could be done.

I like this idea!!!

The only problem is how do you keep something like this from getting monotonous? i mean in a fantasy setting you can throw all varieties of creatures and magical effects at the characters but in a modern day supers setting how would you "spice it up"?

Even the GC3000 Mechanon setting would get a bit "same-ish" fighting robots all the time...

Daz

Glad you asked. ;)

If we're looking at an "infiltrate and destroy" mission, first thing you'd have to do is locate and penetrate the central installation, which means bypassing sensor systems via combinations of stealth/infiltration skills and Powers. Said sensors could include radar scanners, sound detectors, pressure or motion sensors, visual monitors over any or all of the EM spectra, photoelectric beams, or even more exotic systems.

Remember that Mechanon isn't going to be concerned about creating an environment that's agreeable to organisms. At the very least the planet is likely to lack a breathable atmosphere, what with all green plants having been wiped out. In addition the heroes may have to find a way around or through regions of extreme heat or cold, massive electric current, intense magnetic fields or radiation, toxic or corrosive gasses, etc.

Should they actually run into direct opposition (either because they trip an alarm or just have to get past sentry units), it could take the form of big, lumbering brickish robots, swarms of tiny flying attack drones, energy beams from wall-mounted projectors, grappling mechanical tentacles that shoot out of the walls to seize them, shifting doors or walls that cut off escape or even close in to crush them, drop pits with nastiness at the bottom... as wide a gamut of traps and foes as you could find in a fantasy dungeon, just with a technological SFX.

As an added complication, Mechanon may have kept some of the planet's original inhabitants alive to experiment on in a search for more efficient ways to kill. Thus the destroy mission may suddenly morph into a rescue mission. Some of Mech's experiments may have resulted in mutations hostile to the heroes, and powerful enough to give them grief, but not as easy to cut loose on with an untroubled conscience as mere robots.

I kind of like the idea of V’Han having her own version of Well World mixed with the Death Star and Babylon 5. The idea would be a huge artificial moon, built using the most advanced technology of her empire, and serving as a combination base and research station. Dozen, hundreds or thousands of cultures from around her empire could be present, each with their own areas of responsibility and political fiefdoms, and each with security forces unique to their worlds. If the players ask, explain that all of the different types of military units are there to win honor and privileges for themselves and there home-worlds during the next invasion. Races that are non-humanoid can have heavily modified environments on and in the moon as well; plains for the centaurs, cat men and hawk men, a swampy area for the telepathic cow sized dinosaurs and the honorable lizard-monkeys, a city-like area where all the races mix, a deadly methane filled chamber for the living crystal tree-computers, etc, etc.

Put V’Han’s newest weapon / reality warping quantum computer / whatever in the most secure section of the moon, then set the players loose to find and destroy it before the deadline.

The reason why I felt V'han more than destroyer is because of the ability to make each floor, level, room a different dimension can provide a constant change of pace. Dr. Destroyer would give a more interesting campaign in general.

Dr. Destroyer's can be fairly straight forward. The base goes down for X levels and each level has a different purpose. The bottom level could be some sort of Earthquake / Volcano making weapon because it is built at the very bottom of the Earth's mantle. The Earth's mantle is thinnest at the bottom of the ocean so it could be an underwater base.