HERO Hall of Fame?

atlascott

I started this thread to exchange stories about our favorite characters of all time! Two of mine were randomly generated, but this is an forum for ANY characters you played/played with who deserve to go in the HERO Hall of FAME!

I have 3 nominees:

We were near the end of high school, and a small group of friends agreed to try Champions out. A couple guys had some ideas but two guys didnt. So we tried the Random Character Generator that used to ship with Champions. We ended up with quite good results!

Tai Shan, martial artist, whose martial art was Tae Kwon Do, and whose signature move, which we quickly labeled "the 'ol boot to the head," never failed to drop virtually every opponent--except for The MinuteMen Robots sent to collect him and his lady love Victrix (anyone remember her?)--and also, once when he was fighting The Green Dragon. Other than that, with the ol boot to the head, it was always a short fight! The player took this fellow all the way from 250 points to about 325! He ended up being an almost unstoppable HTH force!

Another guy 'rolled up' a character named The Ghost. His primary power was his obvious, inaccessible belt, which allowed invisibility, intangibility, and a electrical discharge. He was also a brilliant scientist, and wealthy benefactor to The Defenders of Chicago. He eventually bought up a very useful variable power pool to represent his inventions. This player usually played combat monsters, but this was the first time he really spread his wings and did a GREAT job of playing a versatile character.

My last nominee for most beloved HERO system character is Jari a Konel, a 3' tall blue brick with amnesia from another (medieval tech level) dimension, who was a designed character by the Tai Shan player. A weakling in his home world, he was transported here by some strange confluence of magic-gone-wrong and industrial accident. Originally deemed a super villan, The Defenders quickly adopted him, and he became the team's heavy hitter, able to absorb massive damage while dishing out incredible amounts with his 50, and eventually, 80, strength. Not only did he not understand technology, but something about his extra-dimesional origin made technology go haywire!

So what about you guys, who goes into your HERO Hall of Fame?

Re: HERO Hall of Fame?

Reading your initial post it kinda sounds like this thread is about randomly generated Champions PCs. But since I've never randomly generated a Champions character, nor to my knowledge has anyone I've ever gamed with, I'm not sure if I should reply, which might be why the lack of response.

Eight Ball, A gypsy born acrobat/martial artist who used a pool cue for a swingline launcher focus, and who had a wierd mystic ability, that anyone who attacked him from behind was hit with 3D6 of Unluck

Ricochet: a mutant with dense skin and stretching, best described as a human superball.

Star Runner: Hyperjump capable power armor, research scientist, suit was fairly light on combat abilities, but excellent sensors and defenses.

I'll nominate Kristian Rolyat, a character of mine that's been so popular he's been rewritten more times than I like to count. Originally a Robotech character, he was basically a German refugee who's family was stranded in Peru during the Malcontent Uprisings and learned kickboxing and was studying to be a muscian when the Invid invaded nd destroyed his town and left him a quadraplegic. He was forced to join the E.B.S.I.S. who had occupied most of South America before the Invid and were now organizing a defense force. They provided Rolyat with cybernetic implants that not only enabled him to walk, but also allowed him to directly link up with machines, including mecha, and they forced him to become a mech pilot. Once his tour was over and he had proved himself in battle against the Invid, he tried to resign, but if the resigned, he had to give back his cybernetics. So instead he went AWOL and tried to find a place where he could be safe and write his music in peace. The GM got a funky hair up his ass and sent him and the rest of the group through a rift to the Rifts universe, were he finally found his peace because the GM vanashed soon after.

When I started my own Rifts campaign later, I rebirthed him as an NPC to kick off a major story arc. After that campain fell apart due to conflicting players, I decided to ressurect him one more time because the players who stayed with me like the dynamic of his character with theres.

Eventually, the whole Rifts things was scrapped and we started playing Hero System. My first thought was to convert Rolyat into Hero, but he wasn't exactly a superhero, which is what we were playing. It wasn't until years later than one of my players, Descant actually, offered to run a game in my supers universe that featured Rolyat and his best friends (all rewritten of course) and finally giving me a chance to play my once PC and most popular NPC.

I'll nominate Hands - perhaps the world's first homeless superhero. He's a hard luck case that I use whenever the Tragedian aspect of my personality emerges. Born a freakish mutant with extra flaps of muscular flesh at random locations on his body which he had no control over. An effort to "cure" him resulted in those extra "pseudopods" forming themselves into 6 extra arms (8 total), a prehensile tail, and a pair of large flexible wings. A flying, multilimbed, martial artist, with Regeneration, animal-like Enhanced Senses (e.g. Tracking Scent), and the Disad: Destitute.

I got nothing.

Seriously. I love the heroes I've made. I try to make them distinct from each other in powers and origins. If I didn't like them then they never saw play or quickly vanished. Any list I posted here would just look like a laundry list of my charcters over the nearly 25 years and 5+ editions I've played.

But' date=' Blue, dont you have like 2 or 3 that REALLY stood out, that you were extra proud of, or about whom you have a funny story?[/quote']

I'm not Blue, but I have one take on this. I like most of my characters that I've played for multiple sessions. Kind of like choosing between your children perhaps. Different reasons to like each.

For some reason, one of my favorites has always been The Nefarious Doctor Meriwhether. Damned if I can remember the Doc's first name, though. He was a kinda 4-color villain in a more Iron Age world. He worked for the (supposedly) deceased father of one of the PC's; built that PC's original battle-suti, and then used his knowledge of the suits capabilities and weaknesses to become a thorn in the PC's side for several adventures.

Doc Meriwhether was really a plot device. I knew the PC was going to want to change his character, as I built his first one for him as a way to get him into the game. So, after being a royal pain for several months, an epic battle ensued during which the PC's battle suit was destroyed.

Once the PC returned from his "radiation accident", we had had so much fun with the Doc, that he had to come back. Can't quite remember what finally became of the Doc... but he may come back to haunt my new PC's some time soon.

I have a few more that I'll probably post later on.

But' date=' Blue, dont you have like 2 or 3 that REALLY stood out, that you were extra proud of, or about whom you have a funny story?[/quote']

I think I've exhausted all my funny stories, and nothing leaps to mind. But my favorites are generally whomever I'm playing lately. I find that mechanics typically take a backseat to characterization. My characters are never (and probably never will be) the toughest, because I think flaws in RPG characters are a sign of...well... character.

I like Anthem because she's the optimistic character. I don't play these often. She's got all these horrible things happening all around her but she persists. She's got a very small toolkit to work with. Fate gave her the ability to take a hit, but not to bring down opponents on raw power; She has to work to bring down nearly anyone above agent level.

I like Uncle Slam because he's not the traditional super-patriot. Picture if Captain America had been working for the Military non-stop since WWI, and as a result has seen and done things in the name of America because it was asked of him that now tend to embarass and even disgust him. He's grown a conscience and a CvK and even studied some easter philosophy. And because he's such an American Icon that it would be a huge blow if the the government discredited him, so now he's got the ability to change the system, which worries the bigwigs to no end.

I like Lucretia because while she's a gun user, she never carries a gun. If you're fool enough to attack her and have a gun on your, she will feed it to you barrel first. She chooses her jobs now based on need, much like the old TV series The Equalizer.

I like Perdition Cauldwell (Dark Champions) because she's kind of like Hawk from the old Spenser for Hire tv series in that around every corner she's got friends who owe her and enemies who fear her. She shares an office with a lawyer and her name is on the door, but nobody knows what she does exactly. "Things," she'll generally say.

I like Audra Blue because she's Anthem's flip side (to a degree). Sure she's still good, but she's let the world ruffle her. She's become this hidden force for good, but her need for true justice takes her beyond the limits of the law.

Going back a ways, I'd also credit Jester (Wisecrack-whore and complete annoyance to any PC he ever worked alongside).

My favorite was Gemini, whom I played in a Champs 3E game and hope to bring back as an NPC in The Campaign I Will Run Someday.

His power set was nothing earth shattering. Duplication (one dupe), some gadgets and ehnanced senses and martial arts. He was the team scout/stealth guy and computer expert. When he was one person, he could be invisible. When he was two people both could be intangible (Desolidification). The rest of the team called the dupes Gemini Red and Gemini Blue given his costume's color schtick.

The thing that made him a beauty to play was he did not consider himself to be two people, but had either Psychological or Physical Limitations (I forget which) about pronoun use. When he was one person, he refered to himself as 'we'. When he was two people, both of them refered to BOTH selves as me/I.

This drove players nuts at the table, especially when the separated Red and Blue would both be talking on the (audio only) team communicator. It culminated in a plot where one of them was away for months undercover, and in the meantime the other had been dating a woman and gotten engaged.

Role-playing both sides of the conversation that ensued upon the dupe's return I said:

"If I think I'm going to let me marry a woman I've never met, I've got another think coming!"