Character idea. Help needed

Badger

I have been toying with creating a half-banshee character. Mortal daughter of a banshee mother, and human father. Havent thought of the background details yet.

But anyway, I was wondering what would be some appropriate powers, skills, etc. for this type of character. Dont want to get to cliche with it but not too far off with what a banshee in legend is supposed to do, either.

Any ideas?

Re: Character idea. Help needed

Well, here are a few entries from the good ol' Encyclopedia Mythica which give the folkloric background:

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/bean_sidhe.html

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/bean_nighe.html

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/d/death_coach.html

The one commonality would seem to be prediction of imminent death, so some form of Limited Clairsentience with Precognition, or Danger Sense, would be appropriate.

The description of the Bean Nighe implies a capacity to grant wishes - maybe some form of Transform? With webbed feet and always being near water, some type of aquatic capabilities would seem reasonable.

Also, that Death Coach might be the basis for a Summon of the coach and/or horses, or perhaps having such a steed as a Follower.

Of course the wail of the banshee is the most commonly identified trait, and could be the basis of a bonus Presence Attack, or even a Sonic EB or something similar.

Well that was a way cool web-site Lord Liaden. After reading what they look like I want to know what guy would get busy with her in the first place.

Maybe you could go with her having the ability to see and talk to dead people as well as know when someone is about to die. Maybe she can get spirits to do favors for her and even protect her.

Yeah those websites seem to help for me thanks Liaden. The bean-nighe being the Scottish I might not put much into it (trying to stick with the Irish version, no offense). But I'm definitely filing it for possible later use. :)

Like the death coach idea. I thinking something like the Guardian Force thing from Final Fantasy VIII for it.

As for who would get busy with a banshee? I think we know by now they's some wierd freaks in this world. :nonp::straight:

A Bean Nighe is thought to have one nostril' date=' one big protruding tooth, webbed feet and long hanging breasts. A mortal who is bold enough to sneak up to her while she is washing and suck her breast can claim to be her foster-child. The mortal can then gain a wish from her.[/quote']

Ewwwwww

As for who would get busy with a banshee? I think we know by now they's some wierd freaks in this world.

It might be interesting to steal some from another culture to explain this -- Chinese myth, in particular, has some excellent ghost-bride myths that could be used to flesh out the Irish/Scottish ones.

And Bride With The White Hair is excellent.

Liaden' date=' I was also wondering is pantheon.org pretty good for myths and legends. If so, I gotta bookmark that, bad boy.[/quote']

Although it doesn't quite count as an in-depth research source in itself, it's remarkably broad in covering myth and folklore from around the world, very user-friendly and Searchable, and always refers you to other related sources.

When seeking references to mythic matters I'm not familiar with, this is always my first stop. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Sorry. To necromance the thread. But I was looking through some of my old ideas and came across this one. I came across a website in my search that inspired me for new ideas. Would it be possible to create an EC based on "songs"? Or would the MP work better? I'll try to get the website I got my ideas from when I find it. Probably tommorrow.

Sorry. To necromance the thread. But I was looking through some of my old ideas and came across this one. I came across a website in my search that inspired me for new ideas. Would it be possible to create an EC based on "songs"? Or would the MP work better? I'll try to get the website I got my ideas from when I find it. Probably tommorrow.

Since you can only sing one song at a time effectively, multipower seems like a more appropriate framework.

Thanks, good point.

Anyhow: here is the website: It was of some material from another rpg game (I think I saw the word RIFTS somewhere in the screen) here goes (and hopefully it'll work.

thegarden.neonexus.com/Omega/netbooks/Inlustris/psiren.htm

Edit: Hmm couldnt get it to do a link.

Here were the 5 powers/songs

Song of

Destruction: Sonic Energy Blast or possible RKA (depending)

Healing: Healing

Mesmerism: I figure this is Mind Control

Protection: seem to be a force bubble

Sleep: (need help with this)

of course they all would have Limitation: Incantations. I need to restudy to know exactly what other adders.

I basically need help with the Sleep- It would probably be some kind of Stun-Only thing (another EB?)

Also if you have a better idea for the power would be appreciated.

Thanks, good point.

Anyhow: here is the website: It was of some material from another rpg game (I think I saw the word RIFTS somewhere in the screen) here goes (and hopefully it'll work.

thegarden.neonexus.com/Omega/netbooks/Inlustris/psiren.htm

Edit: Hmm couldnt get it to do a link.

Here were the 5 powers/songs

Song of

Destruction: Sonic Energy Blast or possible RKA (depending)

Healing: Healing

Mesmerism: I figure this is Mind Control

Protection: seem to be a force bubble

Sleep: (need help with this)

of course they all would have Limitation: Incantations. I need to restudy to know exactly what other adders.

I basically need help with the Sleep- It would probably be some kind of Stun-Only thing (another EB?)

Also if you have a better idea for the power would be appreciated.

Possibly Sleep would be Suppress Stun, or Drain Stun.

But the only real power of voice the traditional Banshee had, as I recall, would be in Hero terms a big PRE attack.

Of course, the half-Sidhe offspring may not have the mother's powers. She may have completely DIFFERENT powers.

Lucius Alexander

I bet she doesn't have a palindromedary

Possibly Sleep would be Suppress Stun, or Drain Stun.

But the only real power of voice the traditional Banshee had, as I recall, would be in Hero terms a big PRE attack.

Of course, the half-Sidhe offspring may not have the mother's powers. She may have completely DIFFERENT powers.

Lucius Alexander

I bet she doesn't have a palindromedary

Well I was going for a slightly different take anyway. Didnt want a one power character. And the website I mentioned gave me some extra ideas.

Oh, and for your last sentence. I'd rather not go there. :nonp: