Superhero Pope: Ridiculous or Sublime?

Superskrull

I was browsing the news articles a few moments ago and as this pertains to two prior threads, I present it here, in a new one instead.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/oukoe_pope_comic

Apparently, in Columbia, a comic starring Pope John Paul II as a superhero is getting ready to be printed. He'll be fighting Satan, naturally.

Re: Superhero Pope: Ridiculous or Sublime?

I was browsing the news articles a few moments ago and as this pertains to two prior threads, I present it here, in a new one instead.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/oukoe_pope_comic

Apparently, in Columbia, a comic starring Pope John Paul II as a superhero is getting ready to be printed. He'll be fighting Satan, naturally.

*suppresses hilarity, composes face*

I don't really know any Spanish. Nevertheless, I have to ask, does "HomoPater" mean something like "Pope-Man"?

Not to mention ... rude. The guy just died. Would it be too hard to let him be, for at least a few months?

More seriously, in a super world, if the pope is a super, who would take religion on faith? It's a huge leap to move into a world where well known religious figures have super powers. I think the whole social fabric of the world would have to be redone for it to make any sense at all. Unless super powers are very common, but even that could be troublesome.

Supers are a better analogy for war, both cold and hot, and political and social movements. They work as symbols of ideaologies and beliefs. The pope is already such a symbol, he doesn't need super powers.

I myself was stricken momentarily dumb by the sheer WTF of the concept. I just figured this was just wierd enough that more people had to see this. I do, however, refuse to even speculate as to statting out this, um, 'character' and I've stooped so low as to write out the stats for NFL Superpro.

WTF is about right....

When I saw this I was momentarily dumbfounded... I have an issue with blurring the lines between fantasy and reality... or is that reality and fantasy.. I always get them mixed up.

The Pope was a great man who died. Can't we just let him rest in peace?? I can't see a comicbook being made about Ronald Reagan in which he had super powers, fighting the Red Menace. (mental note to design russian villian by name of Red Menace) Or how about J.F. Kennedy... with super powers fighting the Cubans.

I feel that reality is just that real. I play RPG's to escape reality and enter a world of fantasy. Why would I want to drag reality with me? I use reality-based things in my games... IE: Current Middle Eastern Conflict and the Trade Center tragedy, but as story points not as main characters.

I am appalled that such a comic would be written. I can see making a comic about his life as a way to get kids to read it. But to make the Pope a metahuman?

Will he have a sidekick called Cardinal Robin who says "Batsh!t' date=' Holy Man!"[/quote']Nah, Popeman would never allow his sidekick to swear.

Besides, it reminds me of Confessor and Altar Boy in Astro City. i should reread the story arc.

I am appalled that such a comic would be written. I can see making a comic about his life as a way to get kids to read it. But to make the Pope a metahuman?

"John-Paul II and the Raiders of Lost Arc", "J.P. II and Silent bob strike back", "John Paul II: the musical" along with the TV show "John-Paul II, Vampire Slayer" are likely to be directed by Joss Whedon very soon.

Or so i heard.

I can't see a comicbook being made about Ronald Reagan in which he had super powers' date=' fighting the Red Menace.[/quote']

Actually, if I remember correctly, one like this was made. There've been endless parodies of Ronald Reagan (and all other former presidents) in comic book form, where they're given superpowers; but there was also at least one (one-shot?) comic book which featured a super-Ronald Reagan that at least attempted to be serious.

What many people are overlooking is that, to many people, the Pope did have superpowers. There're many who probably would not have been surprised had the Pope flown, or shot a cross-shaped beam from his sceptre, or exhibited any of a number of (ostensible) superpowers. Not everyone is of the same mindset as us. For them, this may be seen as a sign of respect; I doubt highly Popeman will be sharing the limelight in his own title with, say, the X-man, or even Captain Middle America...

For them' date=' this may be seen as a sign of respect; I doubt highly Popeman will be sharing the limelight in his own title with, say, the X-man, or even Captain Middle America...[/quote']

Well, the article does mention him meeting him up with Batman and Superman to learn how to use his superpowers.

More seriously, in a super world, if the pope is a super, who would take religion on faith? It's a huge leap to move into a world where well known religious figures have super powers. I think the whole social fabric of the world would have to be redone for it to make any sense at all. Unless super powers are very common, but even that could be troublesome.

Supers are a better analogy for war, both cold and hot, and political and social movements. They work as symbols of ideaologies and beliefs. The pope is already such a symbol, he doesn't need super powers.

Well, if only leaders (or followers for that matter) of a particular religion had superpowers then I could certainly see people having less doubt about that religion's beliefs and teachings. Of course, it would also depend upon whether or not those people got their powers before or after joining the religion.

If there were other superpowered people outside of that religion then I see it as having a slight effect, but probably not too much.

Rod

I think it's interesting when player characters try to move up in the world of the campaign. I certainly wouldn't disallow it out of hand, but it probably* wouldn't be easy.

* I say "probably" because I do have one character who is the head of his religion. He's an elf, he's thousands of years old, and he's the only member of his religion left!

Ranks up there with those battle nuns from... uhm... where ever they were created (what was her name again? Arella?).

And then there is Section 13 in HELLING, made up of warrior-priests and the like who go around doing all the Vatican's dirty work.

Ranks up there with those battle nuns from... uhm... where ever they were created (what was her name again? Arella?).

And then there is Section 13 in HELLING, made up of warrior-priests and the like who go around doing all the Vatican's dirty work.

Warrior Nun Areala, which started out as an interesting (I'm not Catholic so you'll have to pardon me for not being sensitive about magic-priests. They did change the costume to be more modest after a New York order of martial artist nuns complained about it.) anime-like take on dark fantasy with the Catholic church as the main defense against demonic hordes.