Taking Your 11, or Taking Your 3

Egyptoid

In some other roleplaying system they have the mechanic of

taking your 20, which is to say the PC spends as much

time as it takes to get a skill correct.

This can only be done in non-combat, low-pressure situations.

The player is assume to have rolled the best skill check possible

which is a 20 on their one die, when the PC does this.

Is there a similar animal living in Hero anywhere?

Also in this other roleplaying system they have the mechanic of

taking your 10, which is to say the PC takes a little

time to get a skill done at a median level. This is usually done

by experts who know that their high skill level is good enough

for the situation at hand, even at medium effort.

This can usually be done only in non-combat, low-pressure situations.

The player is assume to have rolled the median skill check

which is a 10 on their one die, when the PC does this.

Is there a mechanic similar to This in Hero anywhere?

Re: Taking Your 11, or Taking Your 3

Well, Hero does suggest that most non combat skills have a minimum normal time to use of 1 turn -> 1 minute which can be moved down the time chart for -3. I think taking extra time above and beyond the normal time can give a bonus of between +1-3.

HM

In Hero the GM decides who long the skill will take. From that point the player can choose to take more time [via the extra time chart] to increase his chances of success. Example: GM states computer programming takes 1 full turn. The player can get +1 for taking 1 min, +2 for taking 5 min, etc.

The same works in reverse. If the GM decides a skill will take 5 min the player can choose to rush the skill [again via the extra time chart] only the time works in reverse. Example: A 5 min skill would be -1 for taking 1 min, -2 for taking 1 turn, etc.

In Hero the GM decides who long the skill will take. From that point the player can choose to take more time [via the extra time chart] to increase his chances of success. Example: GM states computer programming takes 1 full turn. The player can get +1 for taking 1 min, +2 for taking 5 min, etc.

The same works in reverse. If the GM decides a skill will take 5 min the player can choose to rush the skill [again via the extra time chart] only the time works in reverse. Example: A 5 min skill would be -1 for taking 1 min, -2 for taking 1 turn, etc.

I believe you are correct about bonuses for taking extra time. However, according to 5ER, it is a -3 to go down the time chart (from 1 minute to 1 turn for example) I believe that is why Dark Champions introduced the Talent Combat Skill (which gives +3 only vs. time modifiers).

Sorry I can't give page referrences since I don't have my books with me at the moment.

HM

Also the GM can decide if it's a low pressure routine task, you just succeed. So in that case that is very similar to the taking a 20 or whatever.

So if you have PS: Whatever 11- means you're succeeding with whatever enough to make a living.

I believe you are correct about bonuses for taking extra time. However' date=' according to 5ER, it is a -3 to go down the time chart (from 1 minute to 1 turn for example) I believe that is why Dark Champions introduced the Talent [u']Combat Skill[/u] (which gives +3 only vs. time modifiers).

Sorry I can't give page referrences since I don't have my books with me at the moment.

HM

You are correct. I had house ruled the -3 per step to -1. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Duh, can't believe I forgot about the time chart. :stupid:

Quickly you could interpolate the difficulty of the task,

and backtrack up the chart till you succeed.

The only drawback being that in Hero an 18 always fails [and a 3 always succeds] even if the roll is an 18-. You'd have to drop that rule in order to completely emulate the desired result.

The only drawback being that in Hero an 18 always fails [and a 3 always succeds] even if the roll is an 18-. You'd have to drop that rule in order to completely emulate the desired result.

True. The d20 system basically says failure is impossible if you would succeed on a 1 and success impossible if you would succeed on a 20 (outside combat and saves, IIRC). I'd be inclined to waive the "roll to see if you get an 18" waste of time for routine tasks and those where time is unlimited.

We've been doing this for quite a while in my game... mostly to speed things up a bit in game... all those damned die rolls can be a biyatch.

I have never implemented a "Take 3" rule, but if you were to "Take 11" after taking sufficient extra time, this would replace.

Still, an "impossible" task should not be possible, no matter how long you try, Also, in my version of the house rule, you must have at full skill to "Take 11", no familiarities here!

Well, no there isn't. But a kind or generous GM (or one that just wants to move the game along) can just nod at the player and instead of asking for a roll say "okay, after you pick the lock, you are inside and moving down the hall...." In my opinion, anything that isn't critical can be waived off and a success if the character attempting it has a reasonable chance at it.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a GM who, if it was a routine action we were doing, that had no real impact on the story, to roll, but "...just don't roll 18".

So, if Master Mechanix, in his mild-mannered alter-ego, tries to fix little Billy Nextdoor's bicycle chain, he would most likely make it. If he rolled an 18, well, Little Billy's bike chain breaks even more. Let's hope he doesn't roll 18 when it comes to fixing Billy's brakes...

I use an odd system for tasks like this (non combat):

I decide on the difficulty (depending on the situation I will roll or make up a number) & standard length of time

Then I will let the player roll, by each 3 they beat the roll by it goes down one slot on the time table, for each +1 it takes longer

To use the bike example:

I decide fixing it is a difficulty 1 task (Must beat your roll by one), taking 1 minute

Master Mechanic FUBARS his roll and rolls an 18 (he has the skill at 16-)

He would have needed 3 less to pass the roll

the one mintue job takes him an hour (God that chain was difficult, it shouldn't have taken me more than a minute)

We've been doing this for quite a while in my game... mostly to speed things up a bit in game... all those damned die rolls can be a biyatch.

I have never implemented a "Take 3" rule, but if you were to "Take 11" after taking sufficient extra time, this would replace.

Still, an "impossible" task should not be possible, no matter how long you try, Also, in my version of the house rule, you must have at full skill to "Take 11", no familiarities here!

Actually, if you're going for the "I take my time and do a thorough job, thus getting the equivalant of an 11- roll" effect, you could let people with Familiarities do it as much as they want. Familiarity is 8-; roll 11, and you fail by three, enough that even my Almost Made It rule* wouldn't apply.

*Almost Made It rule: if there is a way to "partially fail" at a task, anyone missing a roll by 1 (and only one) is said to have Almost Made It. Effectively, it means you get another chance, normally at a slight penalty, though you might get a bonus to your roll if it makes sense.

In my gaming group, we'll often handle routine tasks by allowing the player to either choose a moderate success level without rolling, or they can choose to roll in the hopes of a 3 for a specatcualr success and take the risk of rolling an 18 and failing.

Actually' date=' if you're going for the "I take my time and do a thorough job, thus getting the equivalant of an 11- roll" effect, you could let people with Familiarities do it as much as they want. Familiarity is 8-; roll 11, and you fail by three, enough that even my Almost Made It rule* wouldn't apply.[/quote']

...unless they took a full three steps down on the Time Chart (if you allow this with Familiarities, which I do), in which case an 11- just makes it. Or two full levels on the Time Chart for your, "almost made it." Seems reasonable to me.