Froissement

Lunge

Parry

Prise de Fer

Riposte

Slash

Thrust

Void

7 Greater Strength: +10 STR; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only On Mars (-0)

10 Greater Agility: +5 DEX; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only On Mars (-0)

5 Greater Endurance: +10 END; Only On Mars (-0)

Martian Telepathy: Telepathy

Unreadable Mind: Mental Defense (20 points)

Reduced Gravity Leaping: Leaping +10", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4)

Swimming

5 "Not Aged Apparently A Moment": Life Support (Longevity: Immortal)

10 Luck 3d6

Perks

15 Follower: Woola the Calot (75-point base)

Fringe Benefit: Prince Of The House Of Tardos Mors, Jeddak Of Helium

Fringe Benefit: Thark Chieftain

Talents

20 "I Was Ever A Good Hand With Animals": Animal Friend (Animal Handler [all

categories], PRE +3)

12 Great Agility: Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Martian Telepathy: Danger Sense

10 Swordmaster: Deadly Blow (HKA +1d6; OIF (any sword; -1/2), Any

Circumstances (-0))

11 "Took Heart At The Sound Of My Voice": Inspire (Aid PRE 1d6, Area Of Effect

(voice Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time

(Full Phase; -1/2), Incantations (voice range; -1/4)

Skills

"Finishing My Man With No Effort": Combat Skill Levels: +X with HTH

"With A Single Cut Struck Down Two": Combat Skill Levels: +X with Sweep

2 AK: Barsoom 11-

2 AK: Virginia 11-

2 CK: Helium 11-

Climbing

Combat Pilot

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

0 Deduction 8-

10 Defense Maneuver IV

"Manners Are Perfect": High Society

2 "Lived And Fought For Years Among The Sioux": KS: Sioux Culture And

History 11-

2 KS: Myths And Legends Of Mars 11-

2 KS: Thark Customs 11-

0 Language: English (native)

4 Language: Martian (fluent)

Navigation

0 Paramedic 8-

2 PS: Prospector 11-

2 PS: Confederate Calvary Officer 11-

Oratory

"Horsemanship... Was A Marvel And A Delight": Riding 16-

0 Shadowing 8-

Stealth

"All The Years I Have Roamed The Five Continents And Their Encircling Seas":

Survival (various locations)

Tactics

3 TF: Riding Animals, Thoat

2 "Thoroughly Familiar With The Mechanism Of Every Known Make Of Flier On

Barsoom": TF: Martian Air Vehicles

Tracking

8 WF: Martian Common Melee Weapons, Martian Small Arms, Terran Common Melee

Weapons, Terran Small Arms

Total Powers & Skills Cost

Total Character Cost

XXX+ Disadvantages

Accidental Change:

Dependence:

Distinctive Features:

DNPC: Carthoris

DNPC: Dejah Thoris

Enraged:

Hunted:

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Physical Limitation:

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Of Honor: Gentleman's/Martian (C, T)

15 Psychological Limitation: "I Cannot Stand The Sight Of Cowardly Injustice And

Persecution" (C, S)

15 Psychological Limitation: "Never Have I Been Much Of A Ladies' Man" (C, S)

Rivalry:

Social Limitation:

Susceptibility:

10 Unluck: 2d6

Vulnerability:

Gentleman of Virginia Bonus

Total Disadvantage Points

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote: "I do not believe that I am made of the stuff which constitutes heroes, because, in all of the hundreds of instances that my voluntary acts have placed me face to face with death, I cannot recall a single one where any alternative step to that I took occurred to me until many hours later. My mind is evidently so constituted that I am subconsciously forced into the path of duty without recourse to tiresome mental processes. However that may be, I have never regretted that cowardice is not optional with me."

Powers/Tactics:

Appearance:

"...yet I well remember the tall, dark, smooth-faced, athletic man whom I called Uncle Jack. [...] He was a splendid specimen of manhood, standing a good two inches over six feet, broad of shoulder and narrow of hip, with the carriage of the trained fighting man. His features were regular and clear cut, his hair black and closely cropped, while his eyes were of a steel gray, reflecting a strong and loyal character, filled with fire and initiative. His manners were perfect, and his courtliness was that of a typical southern gentleman of the highest type."

Designer's Notes:

(Captain John Carter created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Building John Carter of Mars

As far as I know' date=' his origins remain a mystery, even to himself. [/quote']

I didn't realize there was a mystery at all. From what I recall, he was from Virginia, fought in the Civil War, and moved west afterwards. Nothing to distinguish him from thousands of others, except for that whole going-to-Mars thing.

I didn't realize there was a mystery at all. From what I recall' date=' he was from Virginia, fought in the Civil War, and moved west afterwards. Nothing to distinguish him from thousands of others, except for that whole going-to-Mars thing.[/quote']

In THE GODS OF MARS, the comment is made that John Carter "dandled my grandfather's great-grandfather on his knee." That comes out to something like 155-175 years ago (from roughly 1884), meaning John Carter was alive in 1710-1735 at the very least (at which point he was around 30 years of age). So the "mystery" is where he comes from, originally. I mean, the man is so old he can't remember his childhood and can only recall a life as a man of around 25-30, never aging, never changing. He also states he's traveled the world, with no idea given of where he started.

Since this is a generic write-up, and not intended for a Barsoomian campaign, I think you should keep him as written.

BTW, this is the best write-up of Carter I have ever seen. Good work!

Thanks.

Working on THE WARLORD OF MARS right now. Will post the final rough draft in a few days.

Here is John Carter as he stands before I start filling in all the blanks and the flavor text. Any thoughts?

JOHN CARTER OF MARS

Val CHA Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH Damage

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

20 CON 20 13-

14 BODY 8 12-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

16 COM 3 12-

8 PD 5 Total: 14 PD (6 rPD)

8 ED 4 Total: 14 ED (6 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

7 REC 0

40 END 0

32 STUN 0 Total Characteristics Cost: 115

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 15"/30"

Swimming: 4"/8"

Cost Powers & Skills

Martial Arts: Brawling

Maneuver OCV DCV Damage

Armlock

Duck/Sidestep

Good, Old American [Punch]

-2 +1 +4d6 Strike

Martial Arts: Swordsmanship; Use Art With Blades

Maneuver OCV DCV Damage

Cut

Ceduto

Froissement

Leaping Strike

Lunge

Parry

Prise de Fer

Riposte

Slash

Thrust

Void

7 Greater Strength: +10 STR; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only On Mars (-0)

10 Greater Agility: +5 DEX; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only On Mars (-0)

Martian Telepathy: Telepathy

21 Unreadable Mind: Mental Defense (20 points), Hardened (+1/4)

"My Own Blade Caught The Flying Weapon": Missile Deflection

12 Reduced Gravity Leaping: Leaping +10" (15" forwards, 8" upwards), Reduced

Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4)

2 Swimming +2" (4" total), END 1

5 "Not Aged Apparently A Moment": Life Support (Longevity: Immortal)

10 "Almost Coincidentally...": Luck 3d6

Perks

15 Follower: Woola the Calot (75-point base)

Fringe Benefit: Jeddak of Jeddaks; Warlord of Mars

Fringe Benefit: Thark Chieftain

Talents

20 "I Was Ever A Good Hand With Animals": Animal Friend (Animal Handler [all

categories], PRE +3)

12 "His Weapon Grazed My Side": Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Martian Telepathy: Danger Sense

10 Swordmaster: Deadly Blow (HKA +1d6; OIF (any sword; -1/2), Any

Circumstances (-0))

22 "Took Heart At The Sound Of My Voice": Inspire (Aid PRE 2d6, Area Of Effect

(voice Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time

(Full Phase; -1/2), Incantations (voice range; -1/4)

Skills

"Finishing My Man With No Effort": Combat Skill Levels: +X with HTH

"Terrific Right [Cross]": Combat Skill Levels: +2 OCV with Good, Old American

[Punch]

"With A Single Cut Struck Down Two": Combat Skill Levels: +X with Sweep

3 Acting 13-

2 AK: Barsoom 11-

2 AK: Virginia 11-

2 CK: Helium 11-

3 Climbing

3 Combat Pilot

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

0 Deduction 8-

10 Defense Maneuver IV

3 "My Disguise Was... Complete": Disguise

3 "Manners Are Perfect": High Society

2 "Lived And Fought For Years Among The Sioux": KS: Sioux Culture And

History 11-

2 KS: Myths And Legends Of Mars 11-

2 KS: Thark Customs 11-

0 Language: English (native)

1 Language: Marentina (written)

4 Language: Martian (fluent)

Navigation

0 Paramedic 8-

2 PS: Prospector 11-

2 PS: Confederate Calvary Officer 11-

3 Oratory 13-

9 "Horsemanship... Was A Marvel And A Delight": Riding 16-

0 Shadowing 8-

3 Stealth 13-

"All The Years I Have Roamed The Five Continents And Their Encircling Seas":

Survival (various locations)

3 Tactics 11-

4 TF: Riding Animals, Small Rowed Boats, Thoat

2 "Thoroughly Familiar With The Mechanism Of Every Known Make Of Flier On

Barsoom": TF: Martian Air Vehicles

3 Tracking 11-

9 WF: Martian Common Melee Weapons, Martian Small Arms, Terran Common Melee

Weapons, Terran Small Arms, Off-Hand

Total Powers & Skills Cost

Total Character Cost

XXX+ Disadvantages

Accidental Change:

Dependence:

Distinctive Features: White Skin, Black Hair, Gray Eyes

DNPC: Carthoris

DNPC: Dejah Thoris

Enraged:

Hunted: Assorted Enemies (AsPow), 11-

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Physical Limitation:

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Of Honor: Gentleman's/Martian (C, T)

15 Psychological Limitation: "I Cannot Stand The Sight Of Cowardly Injustice And

Persecution" (C, S)

15 Psychological Limitation: "I Love A Good Fight To Well" (C, S)

15 Psychological Limitation: "Never Have I Been Much Of A Ladies' Man" (C, S)

Rivalry:

Social Limitation:

Susceptibility:

10 Unluck: 2d6

Vulnerability:

Gentleman of Virginia Bonus

Total Disadvantage Points

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote: "I do not believe that I am made of the stuff which constitutes heroes, because, in all of the hundreds of instances that my voluntary acts have placed me face to face with death, I cannot recall a single one where any alternative step to that I took occurred to me until many hours later. My mind is evidently so constituted that I am subconsciously forced into the path of duty without recourse to tiresome mental processes. However that may be, I have never regretted that cowardice is not optional with me."

Powers/Tactics:

"Quick Have I Always Been To Decide And Act" -- This sentence pretty much sums up John Carter in a fight.

Appearance:

"...yet I well remember the tall, dark, smooth-faced, athletic man whom I called Uncle Jack. [...] He was a splendid specimen of manhood, standing a good two inches over six feet, broad of shoulder and narrow of hip, with the carriage of the trained fighting man. His features were regular and clear cut, his hair black and closely cropped, while his eyes were of a steel gray, reflecting a strong and loyal character, filled with fire and initiative. His manners were perfect, and his courtliness was that of a typical southern gentleman of the highest type."

Designer's Notes:

(Captain John Carter created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

Already through Warlord of Mars?! Man, you work fast! :hail:

That's pretty darn thorough coverage of John Carter, Susano, congrats. You've dealt with every element of his background and history to that point in his career that I can remember, and then some.

I do have a couple of suggestions, though. I think that Carter's ability to Inspire would be better modelled as extra Presence, Only To Inspire (which I'd call -1). Heartening those friendly to the character (including boosting their defensive PRE) is part of what Presence Attacks do, but they also motivate the target to follow the character as a leader, which would account for all the warriors who have cast their swords at Carter's feet and sworn loyalty unto death to him. Personally I'd go for PRE +30 (15 Real Points), giving him the human maximum of 50 and a base 10d6 Inspirational Presence Attack. I think he'd need that much to justify those scenes.

I would also add +1 SPD to Carter's "Greater Agility" as well. He often comments on the "marvelous speed" of his Earthly muscles on Mars, and some of his feats cry out for a SPD of at least 5 IMO. But that's a judgement call; you might consider that the quickness of his reactions via increased DEX covers it, and I wouldn't argue the point. :)

I'm a little afraid of filling in the X value for all those CSLs, though. I'm not sure what would be appropriate to model his superiority to almost any swordsman he faces. However, to keep him consistent with your other writeups I'd probably make his swordsmanship comparable to that of Conan in terms of CV.

I think I'd model the Armlock on the Joint Lock/Throw maneuver, and the Duck/Sidestep on the Martial Dodge. You could combine the STR, DEX, END, and Leaping under the "Power Name" Earthman's Muscles. Add Only Works On Mars to the Leaping. The Luck should cost 15 points.

I'd call Kantos Kan, Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Contact is slavishly loyal to character, 12- for a total of 10 points. Tars Tarkas would be the same except that he is probably 13- and maybe only in a Very Good Relationship, so he would be the same cost. I'd price Warlord of Mars at 15 points; as such, it explains to some extent his ability to get the Martian people to follow him almost slavishly. Similarly, I make Thark Chieftain out to be 5 points. I cost his Reputation at 12 points (large group).

I'd lower his Riding to 15- (it goes back up to 16- due to his Earthman's Muscles anyway). For Survival, I'd give him Marine, Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, and Mountain. He gets one point of TF for free, so his first TF should probably be 3 points.

I'd say Carthoris is Slightly Less Powerful and (from memory) Occasionally in trouble, so he'd probably be worth 5 points. Dejah Thoris is Normal (relatively speaking) and Very Frequently in trouble, so I'd give 20 points for her. I'd roll his "I Cannot Stand The Sight Of Cowardly Injustice And Persecution" Psych Lim into his Code Of Honor. His "Never Have I Been Much Of A Ladies' Man" Psych Lim is at best Uncommon, and I'd make the argument that it's Moderate.

I like it!

I think I'd model the Armlock on the Joint Lock/Throw maneuver' date=' and the Duck/Sidestep on the Martial Dodge. You could combine the STR, DEX, END, and Leaping under the "Power Name" [i']Earthman's Muscles[/i]. Add Only Works On Mars to the Leaping. The Luck should cost 15 points.

Those MA suggestions sound good. The Duck was to be a Martial Dodge. I am also adding a Choke Hold. Earthman's Muscles sounds like the perfect SFX for the increased stats, and defines them perfectly. Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to add "Only On Mars" to his leaping... Oh, and my mistake on the Luck, I gave him 2d6, then read WARLORD, and bumped it to 3d6 (and am thinking it should be 4d6, what with his ability to be at the right place at the right time).

I'd call Kantos Kan, Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Contact is slavishly loyal to character, 12- for a total of 10 points. Tars Tarkas would be the same except that he is probably 13- and maybe only in a Very Good Relationship, so he would be the same cost. I'd price Warlord of Mars at 15 points; as such, it explains to some extent his ability to get the Martian people to follow him almost slavishly. Similarly, I make Thark Chieftain out to be 5 points. I cost his Reputation at 12 points (large group).

Thanks! This just saved me a lot of time! However, Tars Tarkas is a 14- Contact (IMO), he is always there when John could use him and his horde. Also, Tar Tarkas is john's closest friend on Mars, so I'd certainly say it is a Very Good Relationship.

I'd lower his Riding to 15- (it goes back up to 16- due to his Earthman's Muscles anyway). For Survival, I'd give him Marine, Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, and Mountain. He gets one point of TF for free, so his first TF should probably be 3 points.

That sounds good. His TF is free, but I think that's just Equines/Riding Horses, I gave him the full "Riding Animals" for 2 points. And I'll bump his Riding down to 15- (although he is apparently an unequalled horseman on Earth as well).

I'd say Carthoris is Slightly Less Powerful and (from memory) Occasionally in trouble, so he'd probably be worth 5 points. Dejah Thoris is Normal (relatively speaking) and Very Frequently in trouble, so I'd give 20 points for her. I'd roll his "I Cannot Stand The Sight Of Cowardly Injustice And Persecution" Psych Lim into his Code Of Honor. His "Never Have I Been Much Of A Ladies' Man" Psych Lim is at best Uncommon, and I'd make the argument that it's Moderate.

I like it!

I was thinking an 11- for Carthoris myself. I like the idea of rolling his Psychs together, especially since I really need to add "Loves Dejah Thoris" in there (C, T), since he often states he would let all of Barsoom die in order so she would live (or som such hyperbole... ^_^). I have more notes I made myself, and will hopefully have a finished draft for review (complete with flavor text and all) in a few days (or less!).

Oh, and thanks for the website, I plan to at least read the rest of the Mars books.

PS: If anyone wants to contribute thoats, banths, green martians, calots, and whatnot, I'd love to add them to the webpage along with John.

• 2 years later...

Okay' date=' I've finished [i']A PRINCESS OF MARS[/i] and took 3 pages of notes on Captain John Carter, the green Martians, and his weapons. I will read book two and three (all I have) and try and build a character sheet from that. I even have a rough layout of Powers, Skills, and Talents started. My question is: What sort of stats do you give him? And I mean base, human stats, not his Mars stats.

Right now, I have this:

STR 15

DEX 20+

CON 20

BODY 12-14

INT 10

EGO 15-18+

PRE 20

COM 16-18

PD good

ED good

SPD 4-5

REC

END high

STUN

With this added as Powers:

7 Greater Strength: +10 STR; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only

On Mars (-0)

10 Greater Agility: +5 DEX; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only On

Mars (-0)

What do others think?

I think Carter doesn't get stronger on Mars. I think Martians are just real weak.

Enough with these write ups of John Carter of Mars! We need to have the characters that really matter!

Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium

Thuvia, Princess of Ptarth

Phaidor, daughter of the "Holy Hekkador"

(Characters you have not met yet)

Tara, Princess of Helium

Valla Dia

Sanoma Tora, daughter of Tor Hatan

Tavia

I could go on. :eg:

Enough with these write ups of John Carter of Mars! We need to have the characters that really matter!

Tara, Princess of Helium

Valla Dia

Tavia

Eventually.

I think Carter doesn't get stronger on Mars. I think Martians are just real weak.

Relatively speaking, that's true, due to the lower gravity. But since the books are set on Mars, and considering the feats that John Carter performs there, it's probably just easier to scale him up rather than scale everything around him down.

He-he. Martians are losers.

Seriously, I loved these books as a kid (and skimmed through one again recently -- I can't believe how badly written it was). Great work!!!!!!

Guest steamteck

Relatively speaking' date=' that's true, due to the lower gravity. But since the books are set on Mars, and considering the feats that John Carter performs there, it's probably just easier to scale him up rather than scale everything around him down.[/quote']

Plus everything is lighter on Mars due to gravity so it is really easier to just scale him up rather than adjust everything's weight. Although one could do it either way. I do that for low grav worlds in my science fiction campaign.

Tars Tarkas dares you to say that to his face. :D

Tara, Princess of Helium

Valla Dia

Tavia

You said it. Bring on the naked Martian babes! :rockon::love:

You said it. Bring on the naked Martian babes! :rockon::love:

They're pretty easy to do, in general.

16-30 Com

Approximately the same range PRE

Most PRE skills

Naked Damsel in Distress Combat Luck

Mobile Plot Device Luck and/or Unluck

Perk: Woman (exploits a almost universal psyche Limit/Honor Code), up to Perk: Princess (for most of them, anyway)

Around 25 points to tailor to individual.

Bake till a creamy red color, remove from oven and clothes, and leave around to be rescued.

They're pretty easy to do, in general.

16-30 Com

Approximately the same range PRE

Most PRE skills

Naked Damsel in Distress Combat Luck

Mobile Plot Device Luck and/or Unluck

Perk: Woman (exploits a almost universal psyche Limit/Honor Code), up to Perk: Princess (for most of them, anyway)

Around 25 points to tailor to individual.

Bake till a creamy red color, remove from oven and clothes, and leave around to be rescued.

You have a point. Most Burroughsina heroines should have "Spalding" tatooed on them, as their primary role seems to be "football." :hush:

As an aside, I just picked up A Princess of Mars for $4.99 (not on sale either). Anyone who has never read the John Carter books should be ashamed of themselves if they don't shell out this paltry amount for such a flavorful pulp sci-fi classic.

EDIT: Now back to the main issue at hand, I'd probably just leave his stats at Earth normal and reduce those of the Martians appropriately. This may make stats too grainy for some, but in my opinion, it solves the issue of what to do should other Earthlings find their way to Mars without a stockpile of points to spend.

While this is perfectly reasonable and scientifically accurate...it really doesnt fit the flavor of the books at all. On Barsoom, Carter is superhuman. And the Barsoomians look and act like athletic people would on Earth.

The idea that John Carter has a 15-18 STR, and the average Barsoomian has a 0 makes the proportions just about right, but it doesnt feel as heroic for Carter to be punching out a planet full of anemic weaklings.

Earthers in the game shouldnt make it to Barsoom "without a stocklpile of points". The stat adds should either be paid for up front by any Player wanting an Earther character, or if all the PCs are Earthers, it could be considered a "campaign feature" and just fronted to the PCs for the duration of their stay.

The idea that John Carter has a 15-18 STR, and the average Barsoomian has a 0 makes the proportions just about right, but it doesnt feel as heroic for Carter to be punching out a planet full of anemic weaklings.

How many Martians could YOU take in a fight?

I think Burroughs may have done this on purpose, since it allowed his readers to think, "on Mars, I could be a superman too!"

Fenris Ulf, Lord Fyre... you do remember that these Martian 'Hawt babes' are... Martian and... ummm...

Look, egg laying ok? Enough said.

Didn't stop ole JC from getting hisself a son....

Or imply that the process leading to the egg was any less enjoyable. :D

If all a heterosexual male faced with gorgeous naked humaniform women can think of is the final mechanical stages of birth, I think he has other issues to deal with. :rolleyes: