Wasteland Hero, 10 Years After

Labrat

Sheesh, I was just looking through the 'Links' section and saw my old 'Wasteland Hero' link is still there from back in the 'Bruce' days. That material officially turns 10 years old this year! Yay!

I just checked and I think that 'geocities' finally stopped supporting the link. It makes me genuinely sad. It was fun to put together and I still have the core docs on a 5 1/4" floppy somewhere around here... (j/k, I upgraded to a 3 1/2"). Too bad the 'old' Hero started to crash and burn just as I was gearing up to send the first 'official' draft to Harlick. I might have been on the second edition by now...

I had a few good runs with the rules. Truth be told there's a lot of compiled material in there (I hope I gave all credit where credit is due, can't quite remember...). I've got absolutely nothing on Keith who started Savage Earth around the same time I guess (is that right KC?) - and he's still running strong I guess! Good on ya Keith!

Good memories. I survived Fuzion-ating it anyway, so that's gotta be worth something!

What's the latest on an official Post-Apoc genre book for Hero? Personally I think it would fit in well as a Cyber-Hero sub-sub-genre. Not quite 'Star Hero', and my version isn't much like Keith's 'Fantasy Hero'-like world. (Never was a big fan of anthromorphic animals - don't hurt me - but at least that gave us distinctive differences which avoided redundancy). I would definitely take a different approach if I did it over again, although I did depart from the original Gamma World Hero ("Gamma Hero" was ultimately used by Heirax) that it started out as, I turned it into my own creation the deeper I went, until 'voila' Wasteland Hero was born.

Anyway, enough maudlin blabbering. Just another old guy reminiscing about the old days. Hope y'all had fun with it if you used it. Sorry about never getting the 'Altered Life Forms' up there! Maybe I'll back her up and try her again sometime if the interest is there and I'm not infringing on legal holds.

If you are interested, one of the Wasteland Hero runs is still up at yahoogroups.com (Wasteland_Hero@yahoogroups.com). Like I said, it was a heck of a run.

Gonna go brood some more now,

Ron

Re: Wasteland Hero, 10 Years After

There was a little bit of post-apoc Hero stuff in Star Hero, but it's largely unexplored territory. I think somewhere I still have copies of your Wasteland HERO stuff - I was a big fan of Wasteland back in the day - and you can still access most of the material through the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. But it would be great to see some new Wasteland HERO 5th edition material!

Is that Ron Miller behind those glasses and that pipe (and wet nose)? Then you're owed a big "Thank You!" for your fine work on Wasteland Hero. I've referred quite a few folks interested in post-apoc HERO gaming to it over the years. :thumbup:

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but that link to Wasteland Hero here on the website still works. AFAICT all your WH stuff is still there on Geocities. Moreover, your copious Gamma World HERO stuff is still accessible as well, via the individual links on Hierax's website. I've referred some folks to that too. I also copied those links into my compilation of RPG conversions to HERO System, which you can find by following the link in my signature below.

It's all a rich lode to mine, and the differences from Fifth Edition are small enough that it's still eminently useful. So, thanks again!

There was a little bit of post-apoc Hero stuff in Star Hero' date=' but it's largely unexplored territory. I think somewhere I still have copies of your Wasteland HERO stuff - I was a big fan of Wasteland back in the day - and you can still access most of the material through the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. But it would be great to see some new Wasteland HERO 5th edition material!

Awesome link! Thanks, and I totally agree that there is a gaping void in the Hero Universe that needs to be answered with a not-too-distant-future-gone-wrong type of setting.

If Mad Max 4 ever makes it out then there may be a surge of interest... but meanwhile Post-Apoc HERO could be used to ride the wave of popularity that the newer zombie flicks are enjoying! Zombie movies are a great application of post-apocalyptic literature that gets neglected when speaking of the genre. But again I ramble...

Is that Ron Miller behind those glasses and that pipe (and wet nose)? Then you're owed a big "Thank You!" for your fine work on Wasteland Hero. I've referred quite a few folks interested in post-apoc HERO gaming to it over the years. :thumbup:

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but that link to Wasteland Hero here on the website still works. AFAICT all your WH stuff is still there on Geocities. Moreover, your copious Gamma World HERO stuff is still accessible as well, via the individual links on Hierax's website. I've referred some folks to that too. I also copied those links into my compilation of RPG conversions to HERO System, which you can find by following the link in my signature below.

It's all a rich lode to mine, and the differences from Fifth Edition are small enough that it's still eminently useful. So, thanks again!

Aye, it is I, me Lord. Second manifestation as 'Labrat', aka Chiral Man on ye olde Hero Boards. The nickname sort of expired on me. But now I'm back full swing in Heroville.

The links work??? I tried and tried this afternoon and got 404'ed out the door. Well, that's good news. Too bad the last "Update" was in 1998! Ha ha. Thanks for pointing that out, LL.

I wonder if any of my 'Plot Seeds' would be applicable to the d20 GW, I haven't been into GW since 3rd Edition. Very cool, thanks again.

If you want to check out the d20 GW but don't want to drop any cash, check out DriveThruRPG.com. Last I checked, for a limited time, they had the Gamma World Player's Handbook available as a free PDF, for a limited time.

[EDIT - I just checked. It's available for free until April 18th.]

The links work??? I tried and tried this afternoon and got 404'ed out the door. Well' date=' that's good news. Too bad the last "Update" was in 1998! Ha ha. Thanks for pointing that out, LL. [/quote']

I once had that problem with "Surbrook's Stuff." When I tried the link to the site I kept being 404'ed, but I found out from others here that they were able to access it just fine.

I contacted my ISP and was Surbrooked again a couple of days later, so I'm assuming the problem was at their end. If you keep having difficulty I'd suggest you follow suit.

I've got absolutely nothing on Keith who started Savage Earth around the same time I guess (is that right KC?) - and he's still running strong I guess! Good on ya Keith!

Thanks for putting all that good on me, but you got me beat by quite a bit. I'm not even as old as your last update. A quick glance at my change log shows that my docs went online on 7/19/01 (two days before my birthday.)

AAMOF, I remember looking at Wasteland Hero for inspiration at the time. Savage Earth probably started about six months before that and went through quite a few revisions befire the final form.

Wasteland HERO: Good material, good presentation, good site, Good on YOU!

Keith "Savage" Curtis

Thanks for the props guys...

And excellent job AlHazred on hooking us up with that freebie PH!

Aw man, I wanted to expand my horizons into Fantasy Hero and Star Hero before I went back to fix Wasteland Hero. You guys are making it hard to ignore.

There's so much to change and update. The first thing would be the Enviroment section. Whoo. I just poured ideas out without too much thinking wrt starvation/dehydration and radiation. It's been playtested and it is a bit klunky, but then again I knew what I meant when I wrote it (I think some of the Radiation guidelines were extracted from that .txt version of Star Hero that used to be on the Red October BBS). I put most of my work into the actual 'world' and that came out ok, but that could be expanded too.

I kind of still like the simplicity of having two professional archtypes (Towners and Wanderers) but that would probably need expanding too.

What did you guys like/dislike about WH? Any comments would help...

Drat, now I'm getting pumped about updating it. I'll have to lose that Word-based HTML format though for the web-site. Ick.

Guest Major Tom

There was a little bit of post-apoc Hero stuff in Star Hero' date=' but it's largely unexplored territory. I think somewhere I still have copies of your Wasteland HERO stuff - I was a big fan of Wasteland back in the day - and you can still access most of the material through the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. But it would be great to see some new Wasteland HERO 5th edition material!

Thanks for tipping us off about the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. I just

got through using it (and Hunter Johnson's page of GURPS links) to find the

old Mindbench website (the one that had ideas for doing a post-apocalypse

campaign for GURPS -- called, appropiately enough, GURPS Survivors).

Now maybe I can finally look up some of the fan-created RPG material that I

was never able to read due to the fact that they were no longer on the main

'Net.

Major Tom :hail:

Bowing to the genius of the Mad Arab

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. Miller,

As an avid Gamma World fan from the old days, I have long wanted to put together a PA game based on it. I asked the question so many of us have here on the boards "Are there any good resources out there?" and was promptly pointed to your site. It is a sheer wealth of fantastic ideas and the work and dedication you put into it are obvious. I join ranks with the many who have found your site inspiring and applaud you for your efforts.

:cheers:

I have recently purchased the GW D20 books and was going to attempt to run something with that. But now that I have been more fully "converted" to Hero by Tancred, I am looking to do it in Hero. And of course your site will be invaluable. The one thing that keeps me at bay yet though are the things in the new GW books that I genuinely liked and would like to try to employ. I would like talk with you if you are serious about updating your Wasteland site (I can even host it!) to see if any of the good things from these resources are something you think would fit. If time permits, I would even be willing to help you with some of the writeups. It would help me become more familier with the system I am adopting as my home gaming system. (I speak of Hero of course. ;))

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dude! You so can not get away with that. Not without me at least.

Game on.

Threadus Ressurecti!

...and now the Rat has his own copy of Post-Apocalyptic Hero. I shall once again turn to summoning the Four Horsemen!

Muahahahaha

[cue Metallica's 'Four Horsemen']

• 2 weeks later...