Shadowcat- talk about a one-trick expensive pony

Fox1

Was re-doing my old Shadowcat write-up in 5th edition...

Dispell: 20d6 vs. Electronics/Electrical Effects

All powers/skills simultaneously (+2)

No End Cost (+1/2), Continuous (+1)

Damage Shield (+1/2), Affects Physical World (+2)

Always on when Desolid (-1/4), No Range (-1/2)

Linked to Desolid (-1/4)

Active Points 420, Real Cost: 210

Talk about concept over efficiency. Would be hell on mid-level or lower power armor people however...

Re: Shadowcat- talk about a one-trick expensive pony

hmm im not sure if it should have always on it doesn't always seem to come into effect(but thats sort of writers fiat).

would an NND energy blast version be cheaper?

I don't think she can turn it off, at least not when I read the comic and the period of when I'm doing the character write-up (in her teen years).

NND EB wouldn't do anything to stuff that doesn't take Stun- like machines and computers.

Could buy it with does body, but I think the Dispell represents the effect better and allows it to work against some types of energy fields.

It's not like I have point budget to worry about.

Boy, she would work out better if she carried some sort of weapon. She's almost a non-combatant.

Shrug.

Boy, she would work out better if she carried some sort of weapon. She's almost a non-combatant.

Shrug.

She does have extensive Martial Arts, although most writers seem to forget this. Wolverine mentions it in Whedon's current run but she hasn't gone ninja on anyone yet.

Hmm, let's see, trained in the martial arts by both Logan and Ogun, trained as a SHIELD agent, extremely useful and versatile power that she has developed for LOTS of uses (high Power:Intangibility roll), trained group combatant. Nope, she's got nothing going on in combat at all... :lol:

Hmm' date=' let's see, trained in the martial arts by both Logan and Ogun, trained as a SHIELD agent, extremely useful and versatile power that she has developed for LOTS of uses (high Power:Intangibility roll), trained group combatant. Nope, she's got nothing going on in combat at all... :lol:[/quote']

That's because (as I noted) this is the teenager version. None of that has happened yet. Much of it likely won't either for that matter.

Did give her the beginning of Martial Arts training under Psylocke however. All of three maneuvers with her 8 STR- WOOT 3 1/2d6 Punch.

:)

Lockheed is actually going to be her damage output.

Just curious: why 20d6? Why not just 1d6 or 2d6? I'm not up on my Kitty Pride lore' date=' but I didn't think her power needed to be that big.[/quote']

She's used it to shut down rather impressive robots, weapons systems and the like.

Ideally you'd only have to attack the computer system running them but a) her power doesn't work that way, and B) it would be cheap and abusive as all get out.

That's because (as I noted) this is the teenager version. None of that has happened yet. Much of it likely won't either for that matter.

Did give her the beginning of Martial Arts training under psylocke however. All of three maneuvers with her 8 STR- WOOT 3 1/2d6 Punch.

:-)

Lockheed is actually going to be her damage output.

Well, let's see- if Psylocke is around, then it's after she was trained in the martial arts by Logan and Ogun. Unless of course you're using some sort of self-brewed time line in which case do whatever you want, since this character is no longer really Kitty Pryde.

Well' date=' let's see- if Psylocke is around, then it's after she was trained in the martial arts by Logan and Ogun. Unless of course you're using some sort of self-brewed time line in which case do whatever you want, since this character is no longer really Kitty Pryde.[/quote']

Well... I'd consider the actual characters in the comics today to no longer be the real characters. :)

But yeah, it's a self-brewed time line.

Keeping the what we consider to be the cool stuff and tossing all the junk that has built up over the years. To have reasonable consistent and playable characters- this is almost a requirement.

The actual method is to pick a reference history point for the character and then go original from there. Consider it a Battlestar like re-imagining. The source material is only there for ideas.

This is why I don't really post the characters or a link to them here. They aren't of much use to anyone but us.

Kitty is actually a pretty effective combatant as long as you don't think of her damage level.

As part of a team her ability to protect her teammates and civilians is second to none.

Desolidification usable as an attack can dissipate the attack of even the strongest opponent her desolid entangle is pretty effective. And her tactical mobility i.e. her ability to completely avoid cover and terrain gives her advantages against vastly superior foes.( I’m thinking fighting that demon thing on christmas eve in the mansion.)

She is really expensive though

i think there is a good write up of the extreme x men version of kitty on the board somewhere but i couldnt find it but I did findthis one

Kitty could be an absolute killing machine. So could several of the less violent X-men, like Nightcrawler.

Kitty has learned how to use "affects physical world" for her strength/martial arts maneuvers, though I'm not sure if you want to add that sort of thing to a young Kitty. However, she's always had that ability for any ranged attacks she makes while desolidifed, since when she loses physical contact with something it instanty rephases.

You could also justify some very wicked NND, Does Body by phasing things into the ground/wall or reaching into somones chest to crushing their heart. The latter being a printed example of a tactic she alomst had to use against Scott Summers and Dark Phoenix. Mind you, since she has a CvK (only reluctant though), these sort of things won't actully be done vs living opponents, but she does have the ability to do them.

Well... I'd consider the actual characters in the comics today to no longer be the real characters. :)

But yeah, it's a self-brewed time line.

Keeping the what we consider to be the cool stuff and tossing all the junk that has built up over the years. To have reasonable consistent and playable characters- this is almost a requirement.

QUOTE]

Well, if you're gonna just use what you like out of the comics, as long as it follows the theme, more or less, you might consider adapting her modified X-costume from around 10 years ago. For a short time, she had nunchaku and a few other HTH weapons concealed in her outfit. Frankly, it seems like a decent idea to bring her damage up to where she can at least thwack a mook hard enough to be worth noting.

Well' date=' if you're gonna just use what you like out of the comics, as long as it follows the theme, more or less, you might consider adapting her modified X-costume from around 10 years ago. For a short time, she had nunchaku and a few other HTH weapons concealed in her outfit. Frankly, it seems like a decent idea to bring her damage up to where she can at least thwack a mook hard enough to be worth noting.[/quote']

Sounds like a possiblity. It was one I was considering (hence my comment) but there a bit of style conflict with Gambit. Of course its unlikely they would be used at that same time- Kitty is part of a 'students' group- not a real X-Man.

Anyone know what weapons she carried? Nunchaku... hmm.

So is a Vision like Desolid attack although I don't know if she ever developed that ability later in the comics. It's rather a cheap shot however and something I think I'll avoid- it will either let her roll over her oppoents or be whacked in one shot by the affects desolid that would have to start popping up all over the place.

Besides, using desolid on others and pulling through walls or just causing the floor under them to phase out is evil enough although I didnt' see her do any of those tricks before I dumped comics either.

I know for a time she had one of Wolverines claws atached to her gauntlets' date=' but I doubt you want to use that ;)[/quote']

I know I'm going to hate asking.... but when/how did Wolverine lose one of his claws?

And no, I'm not doing it.

I'm think a pair of those expandable fighting sticks my do the trick.

BTW, it says that a UAA power cannot be used on the character for it's normal purpose. Does mean I have to buy Desolid again in 5th revised or that I have to buy UAA and Usable Simultaneously on the same Desolid base?

I know I'm going to hate asking.... but when/how did Wolverine lose one of his claws?

And no, I'm not doing it.

I'm think a pair of those expandable fighting sticks my do the trick.

BTW, it says that a UAA power cannot be used on the character for it's normal purpose. Does mean I have to buy Desolid again in 5th revised or that I have to buy UAA and Usable Simultaneously on the same Desolid base?

It was during his non-Adamantium days. You remember those, when the retcon waves were striking and there was like all this white stuff eating away at Earth. Wait... ...sorry, that was a Crisis flashback. My bad.

Anyway, at one point during his bony claw phase, Kitty decided to pick up a souvenir when Wolvie was breakng his bones on some reasonably tough substance or other. It was a Claremont thing after his return in the late '90s. Thankfully, she stopped carrying the nasty things after a while. Funny thing though, they sliced metals much better for her than for Logan. I think she ditched them when she went to college and started tending bar.

It was during a period of time when the adamantium had been striped from his body. His bone claws got broken off in a battle and Kitty apparently started using them as weapons.. or atleast on of them. I've only seen pictures of it myself as I wasn't reading back then.

Just buy her phasing with side-effects' date=' and then require most tech in the campaign-universe to have a zero or 5pt disad "Gets FUBARed by Kitty Pryde's phasing".[/quote']

I'd rather have it on one character sheet than on dozens of others.

Like I said, I don't have a budget for this. She can cost as many points as it takes. I will say that the ability isn't worth the points spent on it however.

The actual method is to pick a reference history point for the character and then go original from there. Consider it a Battlestar like re-imagining. The source material is only there for ideas.
Sorry, nothing useful to add. I'm just getting all giggly imagining Wolverine and Sabretooth as girls.

Sorry' date=' nothing useful to add. I'm just getting all giggly imagining Wolverine and Sabretooth as girls.[/quote']

I could actually see that as more fun than Starbuck.

Talk about a catfight...

No one has every taken it this far however. Typically it's just a version of the character from certain point in time. And maybe a few other little changes.

Was re-doing my old Shadowcat write-up in 5th edition...

Dispell: 20d6 vs. Electronics/Electrical Effects

All powers/skills simultaneously (+2)

No End Cost (+1/2), Continuous (+1)

Damage Shield (+1/2), Affects Physical World (+2)

Always on when Desolid (-1/4), No Range (-1/2)

Linked to Desolid (-1/4)

Active Points 420, Real Cost: 210

i think technically, you dont get to use no range for damage shields, barring house rule.

Also, i certainly would not allow linked to desolid AND always on when desolid.

if you think its too expensive, iirc, 5e allows the Gm to handwave away the +2 arw cost if he feels its appropriate. :-)

i think technically' date=' you dont get to use no range for damage shields, barring house rule.[/quote']

You are correct.

Also, i certainly would not allow linked to desolid AND always on when desolid.

Have to do something. The silly Linked power doesn't have a modifier for MUST use linked ability. It allows the choice- she doesn't have one.

if you think its too expensive, iirc, 5e allows the Gm to handwave away the +2 arw cost if he feels its appropriate. :-)

Naw, it stays. The points don't matter.

I just find it interesting that for the same active points (and fewer real ones) she could buy a 28d6K attack and solve most problem nicely. :)