A Thread For Random Links

Thrakazog

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: A Thread For Random Links

Hadrian's Wall explained:

It doesn't get better than this. The Guardian's immensely funny Lucy Mangan and Hadrian's Wall, all in one column:

Of course [Hadrian's Wall] seizes the juvenile ­imagination. When you're pretty much at the den/fort-building stage yourself, nothing could please you more than the notion that one man could look upon his corner of empire, see the happy people to the south learning to drink watered wine without pulling faces, getting to grips with Latin and spices, maybe even nibbling on a dormouse, while the warrior hordes to the north remained ­unpersuaded by the delights of ­civilisation ("Dinnae care for it ma self, ye ken?" "Aye, ah ken, Jimmy. Let's maraud!") and announce, "You know what could sort this out? A bloody great wall. Simple, yet ­effective. I'll make it 15 feet high and up to 10 feet wide in places, and I'll use lots of
to give school­children thousands of years from now – especially those growing up during the Anglo-French-­policeman-in-'Allo-'Allo era – ­something to laugh about while they are learning of my enduring feat of engineering. Go to it, legions. I reckon you can throw something pretty decent up in about six years, and I'll bring you extra rodent rations."

Full story here. One of the few reasons to get up on a Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

O2F2

I'm not a chemist, and I admit I had never heard of this substance before, nor even dreamed about such a chemical. But I agree with the poster: it's definitely in the "Things I Won't Work With" category.

EDIT: the comment "... so if you feel like whipping up a batch of Satan's kimchi, go right ahead." :rofl:

EDIT^2: Another :rofl::nonp::rofl: comment:

The man Streng is a marvel, not in the least part because he was able to run multiple different series of reactions with the stuff. Either that or he had a supply of remarkably unquestioning grad students.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the level of the class' date=' I would give a C at best. Everything prior to Tolkien summed up in a single paragraph seems a little brief.[/quote']

In all fairness, it's hard to find written material about orcs before Tolkien, except for a few mentions (although I seem to recall one of Charlemagne's paladins defeating a sea monster called an orc).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...