Team of second rate Villains

fbdaury

Re: Team of second rate Villains

How continuity-accurate do you want to be? If "not very"' date=' then Mastermind and Toad of the old Brotherhood of Evil Mutants come to mind. Mastermind has one heck of a useful/nasty power, but the fact that he doesn't have any [i']other[/i] powers, is a little unimaginative, and tends to step out into the open so that people can figure out they're being illusioned has kept him in the ranks of second banana villains. Toad you'll probably want to use the upgraded version of with the nasty tongue.

If you don't mind doing a lot of the work yourself, there's some anime /manga characters that might be worthwhile putting in the mix.

Ooh, picked up the Seven Soldiers of Victory Archive Edition book, and there's a couple of villains in there that could be adapted for such a group: The Needle (tall, excessively skinny fellow with a needle gun) and the Hopper (uses a overpowered pogo stick, but also has strong legs all on his own.)

Actually Mstermind would probably be a good idea. I could make Toad work the way he was without the tongue. He was never that useless, he was just poorly written and his strengths were never written to, usch as having him use Tae Kwon Do or another kick-based Martial Art due to his superhuman leg strength. Thanks for the ideas.

• 1 month later...

Geee, second rate villains in a team...that's like half my bad guy teams!

Game Show Host and the Models and the insubstantial invisible Narrator...

The Lizard King with the Human Tongue (yes, that's all he is, one big-ass tongue, little DEF but he heals REAL fast), Octal Fist (who gets tougher each go-round, basically started as a slightly cowardly martial artist with full desol/invis combo and a small but annoying attack in that state), Mover Shaker (started as 8 and became 16 duplicates who basically can only teleport people; they often gang up, coordinate, and teleport someone into the air so that they fall), Eyes (eyes in the back of his head...), Cripper (drainer/dispeller, invis SFX), and Brainswapper (transforms people, swapping his brain with theirs, he actually got oddly kiled completly by accident in battle; he sounds real powerful but he can only do one at a time, and it takes him a little time, another invis pow sfx, this was sort of a half aggressive/gonna-get-ya crew with scaredy-cats alongside!).

And so on...but not much as far as villains go from published books along these lines.

Re: Zaran

Sorry, I’m going to have to stick to my guns on this one. Even in a book whose rogue’s gallery included guys like Razor Fist, and a developmentally challenged sumo wrestler, Zaran managed to come off as a total loser. Talks a good fight, but for a guy who’s ‘mastered’ every killing weapon he seems to have serious problems dealing with people who just pick up whatever’s lying nearby. Didn’t Nomad take him down with a golf club?

Shen Keui was cool, though. It’s just his tattoo that was silly. If I remember right, he was winning the first fight with Chi, then they were interrupted. He stalked him a bit, in martial-artist fasion, and they had another fight a few issues later. That was interrupted too. Keui said something like, ‘This time, you would have won,†and walked into the sunset in the traditional badass style. Good to hear he’s gotten some work since. :)

I totally ripped him off for a martial artists rival for a dark champs-esque game I ran back in college.

Re: the All-Losers Squad

Well, Bulldozer and Pulsar, of course. Hypnos, Hornet, and maybe Anklyosaur? Though the last is more of a jerk than a loser . . . Brainchild? Could use a martial artist. Or a mystic. Who was that golden age mystic guy from CU?

I got it. Brainchild sets up the whole thing. He can patch up physical weaknesses with gadgets, (an extra end battery and a force field persistant-ator for Pulsar, some armor and a big hammer for Bulldozer, and such) and act as a sort of ‘behind the scenes’ leader. He can also use psychic surgery to smooth out their personality problems, which does a lot more to improve their effectiveness than the gadgets do. Without telling them, of course.

So, how will they react when they find out? Even winning Morgan Fairchild at last is a hollow triumph once you realize that it was Brainchild’s Advanced-Seduction-Heuristics 3.4 she fell in love with, not you.

Of course, the Ultimates are already kind of a ‘who are you calling a loser!’ team . . .

--

“Jillis! I can’t belive we lost to FREAKING JILLIS!!â€

Re: Zaran

Sorry, I’m going to have to stick to my guns on this one. Even in a book whose rogue’s gallery included guys like Razor Fist, and a developmentally challenged sumo wrestler, Zaran managed to come off as a total loser. Talks a good fight, but for a guy who’s ‘mastered’ every killing weapon he seems to have serious problems dealing with people who just pick up whatever’s lying nearby. Didn’t Nomad take him down with a golf club?

And Superman once required Hostess Fruit Pies to take out Captain Cold but that doesn't make him a loser. I don't really count badly written stories against characters, otherwise recent developments in the Batman books would make him the biggest loser in the universe.

As far as I'm concerned, Zaran has gotten a win over Shang Chi and that prevents him from being a loser. Of course Cap did beat Zaran but then Cap beats a lot of people, just means Zaran is lousy at missle deflecting flying shields. :P

I think one of the criteria could be: "Would you overlook this person if you were forming a new 'Masters of Evil' ?" ;)

The Crimson Cowl's Masters of Evil had 'Boomerang'. Admitedly the woman was a little crazy and was trying to get one villian for every letter of the alphabet, but still...

Well...here's a question for you....which villains from the current CU would you put into a "second rate" team? Maybe they've been beaten too often and have banded together to finally get a win. Who would you use?

Rob

None- had the new books but was not pleased with most of the rewrites of villains and so even if I still had the books I would likely use older versions. |I would definitely use Frizbee, maybe Jackhammer, the Geo-Desics(the version from Dystopia though) and a few others.