Team of second rate Villains

fbdaury

Who, working together could be extremely dangerous. So far I have Whiplash and Boomerang from Marvel and am seeking other suggestions from just about anywhere really. I'm thinking the moniker "The Deadly Dozen", though obviously not all of them would show up all the time. My version of Whiplash, based on the late 80's Deluxe OHTMU is base on 490 points because I tried to actually fully flech him out and utilized his Marvel History but with relevent CU/Other elements that I thought would work in my own world.

Re: Team of second rate Villains

I think a lot of existing villain teams already meet this criteria - a lot of the guys in permanent/semi permanent teams wouldn't be too hot on their own. Most of the Serpent Society, for example.

Teamwork's key to groups like this. If they work really well together and are good at protecting each other and supporting each other's moves, they can be devastating. If they don't work well together, they'll be tripping over each other, fouling up each other's attacks, electric guy creams ice guy, etc.

As far as Marvel minor villains go: Whiplash/Blacklash and Boomerang are good starts.

I think one of the criteria could be: "Would you overlook this person if you were forming a new 'Masters of Evil' ?" ;)

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for The Grizzly, the guy with the mechanical bear suit. Stilt-Man's almost a must for a group like this. Mr. Fear working with a team could be very well used. Perhaps the Hypno-Hustler? :snicker:

I think a lot of existing villain teams already meet this criteria - a lot of the guys in permanent/semi permanent teams wouldn't be too hot on their own. Most of the Serpent Society, for example.

Teamwork's key to groups like this. If they work really well together and are good at protecting each other and supporting each other's moves, they can be devastating. If they don't work well together, they'll be tripping over each other, fouling up each other's attacks, electric guy creams ice guy, etc.

As far as Marvel minor villains go: Whiplash/Blacklash and Boomerang are good starts.

I think one of the criteria could be: "Would you overlook this person if you were forming a new 'Masters of Evil' ?" ;)

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for The Grizzly, the guy with the mechanical bear suit. Stilt-Man's almost a must for a group like this. Mr. Fear working with a team could be very well used. Perhaps the Hypno-Hustler? :snicker:

Hell, the Masters of Evil had the Wrecking Crew in it!

May do the Grizzly and Mr. Fear, but the Stilt Man would be too difficult to make him useful even to a team.

Hell, the Masters of Evil had the Wrecking Crew in it!

May do the Grizzly and Mr. Fear, but the Stilt Man would be too difficult to make him useful even to a team.

Are you kidding? You diss Stilt Man yet have no criticism of the Hypno Hustler? Stilt Man on a team would ROCK! Hero occupied fighting Grizzly, when WHAM - hydraulic ram to the back. Mr. Fear pegs someone, then Stilt Man grabs them and goes to full extension - nasty fear of heights kicks in.

Are you kidding? You diss Stilt Man yet have no criticism of the Hypno Hustler? Stilt Man on a team would ROCK! Hero occupied fighting Grizzly' date=' when WHAM - hydraulic ram to the back. Mr. Fear pegs someone, then Stilt Man grabs them and goes to full extension - nasty fear of heights kicks in.[/quote']

Oh no! The Hypno-Hustler is super lame and cannot be fixed. But Stilt Man is hard to use in a team I would think. Maybe if he still had his admantium stilts?

There was this mini-series from Brian K. Vaughn called The Hood which featured some villains paid to work together. I thought they were awesome. The book was awesome. GO READ THE HOOD!!! Go now.

Anyway, Constrictor, Jack-O-Lantern and someone else I can't recall. They would be good for a team like this. The whole book would be good to get a feel of how Super-Villains interact and their mentality. You should check it out.

How about Marvel's Porcupine. I remember seeing him when I was a kid. He was on a villain team along the first Eel, the Plantman, the Scarecrow, and the Unicorn. Any of them would work, I think.

Zaran the weapon master. Even for the 70’s, his choice of costume was . . . odd. Black leather hood that covered his head and shoulders, some misc. straps around his torso, a leather posing pouch, and big, clunky boots. Oh, and he had a bright red topknot thing popping out of a little hole on the top of his head.

In short, the sort of thing an iron age villainess with particularly low self esteem might come up with. Or maybe one of the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ raiders from The Road Warrior.

Had a spear/halberdy thing with a blowgun hidden inside it. And a few other lame weapons. Was a lame Cap villain for a while, then a lame Shang Chi villain for a bit. Last I heard, he got his ass kicked by Nomad on a golf course, but that was a long time ago. It’s possible he’s gotten his ass kicked by any number of lower and lower powered heroes since then.

Actually, Shang Chi had a load of moderately lame villains, (Though few as lame a Zaran) at least some of whom would be salvageable. What’s Shen Keui up to these days? He’d need to either keep his shirt on, or get a tattoo update, though. Hard to fear a guy who has an old ladies’ wallpaper tattooed on his chest.

On a more potentially redeemable note, did the Silver Samurai ever get a ‘kewl’ update? He had an ok schick and a pretty cool power, but never seemed to gel together.

(Any knowledge of the Marvel Universe I might have is at least ten years out of date, though)

--

“And this time, you would have won . . .â€

Some free-thought-association-type stuff here:

Is Killer Shrike still active? He'd be cool. How 'bout Tiger Shark? Eel? Will o' Wisp? Crossfire? Brothers Grimm? Constrictor? Grey Gargoyle? Dragon Man? Jack O'Lantern? Klaw? Hyde? Jester? Mauler? Unicorn? Torpedo?

Okay, some might be dead or inactive, but they were the 'B-List'ers I came up (besides Wrecking Crew...you gotta have them).

I tend to know more Marvel than DC, but...how about:

The Killer Croc (Low level brick for martial artists to fight)

Fire Bug (flame throwing battle suit)

Slyde (Marvel, Frictionless Speedster suit)

Enforcer (Dead, but was someting of a cool gun wielding criminal who fought werewolves)

The Tarantula (Martial artist withpoisoned blades in his boots)

You could give someome the Ringer Battlesuit

the Trapmaster (formerly Paste Pot Pete)

The Scorpion? (but, he's insane)

Zaran was good as part of Batroc's Brigade' date=' featuring Batroc, Machete and Zaran. Potentially a good team of B-Listers for the more 'street' level heroes (or the GLA).[/quote']

Also Zaran was hardly lame, being a master of every hand to hand weapon there was [hence the weapon master] and I belive he actually defeated Shang Chi when they first met. That was when he was working for Fu Manchu as his head assassin. Lame costume, maybe, lame character, hardly.

As for Shen Keui, if that refers to the Cat [as I belive he's called] he's hardly a lame villian either. After all he's a martial artist on the same level Shang Chi is [might've also defeated him in fact] and actually defeated Iron Fist back in the Heroes for Hire series back in the 90's.

Just because thier second stringers, doesn't mean they're not impressive.

How continuity-accurate do you want to be? If "not very", then Mastermind and Toad of the old Brotherhood of Evil Mutants come to mind. Mastermind has one heck of a useful/nasty power, but the fact that he doesn't have any other powers, is a little unimaginative, and tends to step out into the open so that people can figure out they're being illusioned has kept him in the ranks of second banana villains. Toad you'll probably want to use the upgraded version of with the nasty tongue.

If you don't mind doing a lot of the work yourself, there's some anime /manga characters that might be worthwhile putting in the mix.

Ooh, picked up the Seven Soldiers of Victory Archive Edition book, and there's a couple of villains in there that could be adapted for such a group: The Needle (tall, excessively skinny fellow with a needle gun) and the Hopper (uses a overpowered pogo stick, but also has strong legs all on his own.)